snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Attention Fish o'Thwackin people (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Attention Fish o'Thwackin people
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the guidelines we've asked people to please not keep the fish any longer than a week. I'm thinking that we should shorten the time to a couple of days. That might get it to move along a little faster. After all, no offence, but how long does it take to take a picture? You don't need to take the fish on a world tour. Just think of one or two really cool things to do, snap the pics and send it on.

I also second Jenn's idea about starting the second fish along. Although it might get very confusing as to which fish goes where next.

I also agree that if the fish is at the meet, perhaps a couple of people could take their pictures then. I think we're going to run into the same type of slowdown in Europe too, like for Canada. But I don't know how the post works over there, especially since it's going to three different countries. Same for it going to Down Under. That will definatly add some time going to and from.

Daisy, I honestly don't know if there's people that aren't interested anymore. It's up to the person who has the fish at the time to contact the next person on the list. If that person doesn't want to do it, then they should contact the next person. That's the only way I can think of doing it.

Zorro and lunchlady, I will add you both to the list. I may not get around to it for a couple of days, but you will be on there. Promise.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LizzyBirdBrain:
I also second Jenn's idea about starting the second fish along. Although it might get very confusing as to which fish goes where next.

I was thinking perhaps send the second fish on the overseas tour while the first fish stays on this continent. Or just chop the list in half or sort it roughly geographically to make two lists, one fish each. New people would be added to whichever geographical group they're in or just alternated between the two lists as they sign up.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think splitting the fishes up would be a good idea, especially since I'll be switching continents frequently in the next couple of years. I wouldn't want to mess up the list by being in Europe when it's my turn. That way I could just host whatever fish is on the continent I happen to be on.

As long as someone manages to break the news to Thwacky and Whacky. They'll be heartbroken, being seperated after spending so little time together. Poor fishies...

Btw, Lizzy, if you update the list, I won't be in North Dakota. [Smile] (Phew! Sorry, North Dakotans.)

ETA: Is the plural of 'fish' 'fishes' or 'fish'? It's just 'fish', isn't it?

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by callee:
3) track down the mailing address of the next person on the list. In my case it took a day just for the next person to respond to the PM and email I sent

There's no reason why this needs to add more time. Just contact the person upon receipt of Thwacky rather than waiting until you're ready to send, or even when you know he's been sent to you (for example, as soon as I know when Thwacky is in the mail to me, I can contact the next person on the list for their address so I'm ready to go). And people on the list also have a responsibility to keep an eye on the progress so they're ready when their turn comes up. It's very easy to be prepared a step ahead on this.

--------------------

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhee:
ETA: Is the plural of 'fish' 'fishes' or 'fish'? It's just 'fish', isn't it?

Usually, but it's fishes if you're being poetic.

Nonny "joy to the world" Mouse

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhee:
As long as someone manages to break the news to Thwacky and Whacky. They'll be heartbroken, being seperated after spending so little time together. Poor fishies...

And so would I be if I got to host 'only' Whacky and not Thwacky... No, offense, Whacky!

Honestly, is there any need to speed up things? I'm all for things like not hosting the fish (pl) for too long and get the next adress in advance, but it's not like we got a deadline or anything, is it. If our ichtioyd (?) friends are on their journey around the world for two years, so be it!

And for Rhee (and other people from Europe who happen to be out of Europe when it's their turn): we'll take you from the continental list and add you first after the continent-trip. Since I'm the last European on the list, I'll send the fish (pl) to Rhee if she wasn't in Norway at that time. Rhee can then pass the fish on to mgbdriver.

Don "two fish" Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
curlygirl
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlygirl   E-mail curlygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone happens to be doing a transoceanic trip at any time (like Rhee) then maybe Thwacky can hitch a ride in the baggage (provided the dates line up). This could save time as a flight would be a lot quicker than sea freight (don't even think about sending him air mail Down Under - parcels Canada to Australia have cost us $30-$50 dollars for even small baxes, and that's AU/CAD $, they're pretty much equal).

For example I'm probably going to BC in June (via San Fran maybe) so if Thwacky is anywhere near his Down Under time then it would be a good idea for him to hitch a ride back with us and do a little re-arranging to the list to save time and money (eg go west to east then NZ).

Just a suggestion.

I'd feel a bit gyped to miss out on Thwacky too (no offence Whacky but you are only the understudy.)

ETA I just checked his itinerary again and I doubt he will be ready for Down under by June, especially with a UK detour beforehand but still any other travelling snopesters might help Thwacky out.

--------------------
"let them eat cake...and toast...and waffles...and cookies, don't forget the cookies"

Posts: 507 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to say I don't really like the idea of separating them either. It's part of the Thwacky Legend that now two fish are traveling together. I mean, I'm biased, because that would double the number of blog entries I'd have to keep up with, but it seems like a needless messing-up of the story.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I host Thwacky come 2011?

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've mentioned before that I regularly send parcels down to Brisbane. If/when Thwacky and company are needed Down Under, sending them along with the parcels I send won't be a problem. My friend, Shawn, is more than willing to pass the fish along to any Snopesters. [Smile]

As for now, there are plans for Shawn to come visit the end of June through most of July and we'll be taking a road trip from here in Wisconsin to see someone in Memphis and then on to Boston to see Little Duck.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Titmouse:
Usually, but it's fishes if you're being poetic.

Nonny "joy to the world" Mouse

How about, "I love the fishes cause they're so delicious!"

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yay! Thanks, Lizzy.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if the fish (es. I'm a poet.) want to catch a ride in my carry-on, they're very welcome to, as long as they don't mess up my stuff. (So if they're planning on joining the mile high-club they have to be careful. [Wink] ).

I doubt they'll make it through fifteen people to the first UK-snopester by the time I'm leaving again (which will be in the middle of May) but if they do, I can just mail them off during my layover at Heathrow. If they don't make that but manage to arrive at Don Enrico's by late August I can take them back to the States with me.

Don Enrico, I'm not quite sure which continent you're referring to but since I'll be spending some 75-80% of the next couple of years in the US I suppose I count as a continental American at the moment.

Wow. I never expected to be thinking about fish logistics.

edited to fix UBB

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lunchlady
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 99 posted      Profile for lunchlady   E-mail lunchlady   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Zorro and lunchlady, I will add you both to the list. I may not get around to it for a couple of days, but you will be on there. Promise.

Thanks LizzyBB! It'll be fun!

--------------------
lunchlady

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
---James Bovard

Posts: 71 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to be on the list for the fish(ies) as well... If your list is up to date it looks like they haven't been sent (or aren't planning to be) to Chicago yet?

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thwacky and Whacky arrived in the mail this morning. They were tired and cold but are resting quite comfortably now. I'll show them the sights and have them back on the road as soon as possible.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 212 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The list has been updated to include Zorro, lunchlady and Xia.

Ringkeeper, glad to hear the fishies arrived safe and sound. Don't forget to contact UE Loyalist ASAP about the next leg of the journey. Thanks.

--------------------
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Done and done. I actually contacted him before posting to the general population. [Smile] I hoping to have the fish in the mail to him by Monday.

--------------------

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 99 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awesome, Ringkeeper. You rock. [Big Grin]

--------------------

callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RingKeeper:
Thwacky and Whacky arrived in the mail this morning. They were tired and cold but are resting quite comfortably now. I'll show them the sights and have them back on the road as soon as possible.

wow, I mailed those guys out on the 7th and they didn't arrive till the 16th! They could have swam it faster!

Anyway, just to note for everyone the shipping time.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loony
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loony   E-mail Loony   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking forward to meeting up with RingKeeper and showing Thwacky & Whacky the sites.

Whooo Hooo the plastic fish are here !

--------------------
Avoid scattering your energies - advice from a fortune cookie.

Posts: 253 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loony:
I'm looking forward to meeting up with RingKeeper and showing Thwacky & Whacky the sites.

As well you should. Hosting the fish are an honor! (or is that honour?) [Razz] [fish]

--------------------

Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel Songbird:
I have to say I don't really like the idea of separating them either. It's part of the Thwacky Legend that now two fish are traveling together. I mean, I'm biased, because that would double the number of blog entries I'd have to keep up with, but it seems like a needless messing-up of the story.

I agree with the slow and steady approach. I appreciate the work that Minstel and Lizzy are putting into this and don't want to overburden them. Thanks, you two!

Dear "That will give me more time to think of fun photos" Babby

Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loony
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loony   E-mail Loony   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thwacky and Whacky had a whirlwind tour of St. John's today and RingKeeper and I managed to get them mailed out today so hopefully UEL will get them sometime around the middle - end of this week.

I'd like to thank the fishes it was an honour ( [Wink] to Lizzy) and so much fun, although rather cold...but the Screech took care of that. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 253 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I receive Thwacky before March 10 he can accompany me to Costa Rica for that week. But there's 7 more people to go through, so I doubt that will happen.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the twins today in the mail.

I'll be taking them this weekend to Reversing Falls and doing a "good" New Brunswick tour.

I'll get them in the post to Jenn on Monday (as JR has disappeared).

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
JR has dissapeared? That's too bad. Have you actually tried contacting him, or are you just going off of his recent posts? You should try and contact him, just in case. It wouldn't be fair for him to miss the fishes, just because he hasn't posted in awhile.

Cervus, that's too bad you won't get them by then. I bet they'd love to go to Costa Rica!

I think Jen's the last Canadian, so if there's anymore out there, stick your nose in quick! Otherwise you'll have to wait for another rotation, since the fish head off to San Diego after she's done with them.

This is so cool. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

quote:
JR has dissapeared? That's too bad. Have you actually tried contacting him, or are you just going off of his recent posts? You should try and contact him, just in case.

JR has not posted since November and does not have PMs or email enable. He's gone.

--------------------

LizzyJingleBells

Icon 202 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I didn't know that, Jenn. Guess you would though, wouldn't you? [Wink]

I wish there was a way to weed out people who have changed their minds. Oh well, guess you get the fish sooner then, right? Lucky gal. [Big Grin]

--------------------

A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I recieve Thwacky in the spring, he can come with me either to Boston (where I can get a picture of him with Anthony Rapp), Pittsburg (where I can whack anime fans. And the sad things is, this wouldn't be unusual), or New York City (where he can come with me to see Rent). How I hope I have him by the spring...

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ringkeeper, Loony, and UEL, can you get me your pictures soon? I don't want the blog entries to wind up out of order!

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deep Blue
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deep Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't posted much lately due to crazy amounts of overtime at work, but I'm still here and eagerly waiting to host the fishes.

Deep Blue

Posts: 159 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loony
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Minstrel Songbird:
Ringkeeper, Loony, and UEL, can you get me your pictures soon? I don't want the blog entries to wind up out of order!

RingKeeper and I are working on the blog..well to be fair and truthful she's working on the blog with me pretty much nodding and say "yeah that's good" it shouldn't be too much longer.

[Smile]

--------------------

RingKeeper

The photos and blog entry have been sent to Minstrel. In the meantime, anyone who is interested can check out some extra pics we took of our short but sweet time with the fishes.

I have to say, it was great having someone else share the time with Thwacky and Whacky. Made it much more interesting.

--------------------

Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OH, tell me you used the pics of them getting screeched in!

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages