snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » SLC: A Best Buy Christmas » Attention Fish o'Thwackin people (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Attention Fish o'Thwackin people
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry I've been so behind with Thwacky's blog! I've gotten Eve MG's and Nonny's stories and pictures posted, and I will hopefully be able to add the Meet and Canuckistan's pictures tonight.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Minstrel, it looks great, thank you so much! And you captured the spirit of my puppy just perfectly! [Smile]

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just bumping this to get to know what fishy is up to at the moment. Is he still in Canada? Did he get to ride with the Mounties? Is he snowed in?

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thwacky just left callee on his way to RingKeeper (I think). Of course I'm behind on the blogging again, but I will try to get caught up.

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the update!

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, as far as I know Thwacky is on his way to the Rock. I got a PM from Callee earlier this week. Loony and I have all sorts of things planned for our fishy friend.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 302 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me, I got an email from callee the other day telling me that the fish was delayed, but would be heading to Ringkeeper soon. Duh. Guess I should have posted that sooner. [Wink]

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisyslegs
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisyslegs     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lizzy, I was thinking, are there people on the sign up list that no longer are around or want to take their names off? And how will you know other than questioning each time?

Daisys"Maybe I just want to be closer to the top of the list"legs

--------------------
~tough as nails yet nice as pie~
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar.
"and don't threaten anyone with your pants today!" - Frog_Feathers
daisys does Myspace

Posts: 3206 | From: Molalla, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

There! Thwacky's blog is updated through his visit with callee.

--------------------

callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, good job on the update minstrel.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One pic, Callee? Jeez, what a slacker.... [Wink]

Oh, and God doesn't hate halibut, it's tilapia he's not all that fond of. He actually quite likes halibut with a little lemon juice and an nice dill garnish.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] at Daisy- I hear ya! I'm only 3 spots above you on the list and it seems like it will be a long wait!

Kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Geez, Minstrel. I hardly got ditched by a rubber fish at the club. I ... um, merely encouraged him to seek true love.

Yeah, that's it. [lol]

Actually, if by ditched you mean checked with my coat, you're correct.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling

Well, if you left him in your coat pocket, no wonder he ran off and left you there. [Wink]

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it was either that or carry him in my pants pocket.

And, really, I was in no mood for, "Is that a fish in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

And I most certainly did not want to deal with a whole bunch of guys who thought it'd be funny if they were suddenly named Gill.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nonny Titmouse:

Nonny

but...but...but...I had to make the little signs!

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh, and God doesn't hate halibut, it's tilapia he's not all that fond of. He actually quite likes halibut with a little lemon juice and an nice dill garnish.

Nonny

Ah, but doesn't that picture say it all?

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jocko's Jolly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jocko's Jolly   E-mail Jocko's Jolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by callee:
quote:

Nonny

YOMANK!!

--------------------
Like every good third-in-a-series it contains a whole load of ewoks, ‘Clubber’ Lang, whey-faced Sophia Coppola, Sean Connery as the Pirate Captain’s estranged dad, a crappy CGI alien, and Richard Pryor on a donkey. -- Gideon Defoe

Posts: 2211 | From: Harford County, MD | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 607 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yeah, about that: I can't believe you corrupted Thwacky and Whacky like that!

After all the time I spent corrupting them, you then had to go and corrupt them! The nerve!

--------------------

Minstrel gone caroling

Don't worry, Canuckistan. The first layer of corruption is always the one which is strongest. [Razz]

--------------------

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a little late to this party, but...this looks fun! Can I play? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So far he's taken 142 days to visit 13 people. That's an average of just under 11 days per stop. With another 61 people to visit it'll take him a year and nine months to get to the bottom of the current list.

At the rate he's travelling, it will be October or November 2008 before he gets to Something, who is at number 74 on the list. I'm at number 47, and I expect to see him at about this time next year. Is there anything we can do to speed him up a bit?

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Well, keep in mind Em that those 11 days average per person includes shipping. Depending from whence to where, that can take between 3-5 days, leaving an average of only 5-6 days actually spent with the person. When you then remember that during those 5-6 days the person has to:
1) clear time in their schedule to take a fish sightseeing - I don't know about you, but I'm just not flexible enough to drop everything I'm doing because a fish arrived in the mail.
2) take the fish out, get the pictures, etc. In my case the involved finding someone who owned a digital camera and waiting till they were home so that I could go over and borrow it. Then I had to wait again till they were free to go back over to their house and dump the pictures off the camera and into email.
3) track down the mailing address of the next person on the list. In my case it took a day just for the next person to respond to the PM and email I sent
4) find time to get down to the post office to mail a parcel - you can't just stick a stamp on and dump it in a regular mail box, eh? Plus that sucker cost me over $10 to mail! Do you realise that that means as a group we would have spent close to $1000 on mailing a fish around north america? somewhere in the third world alex trebek is burning us in effigy.

In other words, when you first look at the numbers you're throwing around, sure, it does look unbearably slow, but upon closer inspection I think the times have been pretty reasonable.

The only way I can think of that you could speed it up is if you could actively consolodate at snopes gatherings. For example, since the fish made it to the toronto gathering, we could have just snapped a few group shots there and then not bothered to mail it out to the toronto people separately, but rather sent it on it's way to the next non-toronto person on the list.

--------------------

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm patient, I can wait...I just wanna play eventually. [Wink]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lunchlady
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 08 posted      Profile for lunchlady   E-mail lunchlady   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to host Thwacky. Please add me to the list. Though I may be a retired lunchlady by the time he gets to me [lol] .

--------------------
lunchlady

Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
---James Bovard

Posts: 71 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Callee, I realise there's a lot more involved in sending Thwacky around than just taking a photo of him, that was my point. Is there anything we can do to speed things up?

Even a saving of one day per person gets him to the end of the current list almost two months earlier. If everyone takes just one day extra he won't make it until 2009.

The snopes gathering idea is one suggestion, however the time taken to set up a gathering to coincide with his arrival might negate the potential time saved unless everyone in the area clears their schedules for three weeks either side of his ETA, just in case.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
And, really, I was in no mood for, "Is that a fish in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Well, it brings a literal definition to the term "codpiece".

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Plus that sucker cost me over $10 to mail!

How big is the fishy? I thought we were just sticking him in a large padded envelope!

But, yeah, I'll probably have my bachelor's degree by the time he gets to me.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lilybet
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilybet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cervus, you're one ahead of me... (sigh) But I don't mind the wait. I do figure on rounding up Gayle and Kev (anybody else want in?!?) when Thwacky arrives... in, let's see, May or so?

I went on a "barbecue crawl" in Lockhart a few weeks ago and one of the joints had a jackalope head mounted on the wall. I am abuzz, let me tell you, with ideas for Thwacky's visit.

Well, and with Corona. Yum!

--------------------
A day in the life: Human woman *** Frozen turkey

Posts: 1361 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:

How big is the fishy? I thought we were just sticking him in a large padded envelope!

I even cheaped out by using the same padded envelope in which he came to me, I just taped over the former address! It's not that he's big or heavy, but esp with the two of them they make a rather irregular shape, and thus the post office said I had to send them parcel post, and with those dimensions the cheapest price was $10 and change. For $50 something I could have overnighted him, but I thought I'd let him suffer. Besides, him and wacky needed some alone time.

--------------------

kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess the time spent doesn't really bother me [lol] I mean, who cares if it takes 18 months to get here??? It's a plastic fish. [Smile]

It just gives us one more reason to stick around the ULMB. It's not like any of us joined the board just to take a picture with Thwacky (I hope!?!?)

Maybe I'll be able to take pictures of Thwacky waiting for DS at the bus stop (come Sept 2007 [Big Grin] )

That being said, there are quite a few NC snopesters... can you just consolidate us?

Kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:

I think it only cost me less than $2 to send him from CA to MI. Remember callee is Canadian. That's probably $10 Canadian. I don't know if postage rates are higher in Canada, either, or if he was sending it to the US and that made it cost more.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Em:
Is there anything we can do to speed things up?

I think the only place we can reasonably shave the time is during the sightseeing since express shipping is rather cost prohibitive (especially if the second fish is driving up the cost). If everyone can just commit to getting their pictures done and Thwacky to the post office as soon as they possibly can, we should be able to shorten the time spent. It isn't possible for everyone to keep it under 5-6 days, but I'm sure some of us can.

One benefit of being further down the list is time to plan what to do with Thwacky. For myself, I already know exactly where the pictures will be, I have lots of free time, the post office is 4 blocks away and I have my own digital camera. I can't foresee keeping him for more than 2-3 days, and if the delivery time and my transportation works out I could possibly even have him back in the mail the next day. If everyone can make getting Thwacky back in the mail as high a priority as they can given their existing commitments that should be all we need.

Another idea: Since there are two fish now, what about splitting them up? Two fish, two tours, half the time.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
I think it only cost me less than $2 to send him from CA to MI. Remember callee is Canadian. That's probably $10 Canadian.

Ha ha. Funny. You should go into standup. Because that's one of the funniest thing that anyone has ever said about our currency. What an original concept that was! That's so good that I'm still laughing on the inside. [Razz]

quote:
I don't know if postage rates are higher in Canada, either, or if he was sending it to the US and that made it cost more.
He was sending the fish to Newfoundland, which I guess raised rates, since it's at the eastern extreme of the continent. The duo cost me $6 to send to callee, but the two of us live relatively close to each other.

I think rates are just higher here. I was expecting to pay $2-$3.

(Edited to clean up)

--------------------

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
He was sending the fish to Newfoundland, which I guess raised rates, since it's at the eastern extreme of the continent. The duo cost me $6 to send to callee, but the two of us live relatively close to each other.

I think rates are just higher here. I was expecting to pay $2-$3.

It's based on size, weight, and distance. And how nice the postal employee is when it comes to making sure you get the best deal. I always ask them to price all of my options and how long each will take. I expect to pay a fair bit since I'll be sending out of the country. With Canada Post, XpressPost in a small box might actually be cheaper than regular mail in an envelope. I know, it's screwy.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages