snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Copyright Trap » Deaf Snopes Buster (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Deaf Snopes Buster
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
The person probably doesn't have a passport either.

???

What does that have to do with intellectual property law? Or is that just a random slam?

Seaboe

It's a summary of the sort of person who assumes that US law is global law or that a US-specific hang-up is not a global hang-up (I get plenty of those!) and who can't understand why they don't get taken seriously when they quote something US-specific at a .co.uk address. It's indicative of the sort of person who who is totally unaware that there is a world beyond their national borders. It's based on 10 years worth of observation of that type of person.

As I said, if they'd cited something applicable beyond their own borders, I'd take notice. The fact they don't is indicative of someone unaware of a world beyond their borders - the sort of person who doesn't own a passport. I don't get this problem from inhabitants any other country (which speaks volumes).

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the poor grammar on the Deaf Snopes Buster site...

Here's a linky to a Gallaudet Research Institute piece about literacy and Deaf students.

quote:
For the 17-year-olds and the 18-year-olds in the deaf and hard of hearing student norming sample, the median Reading Comprehension subtest score corresponds to about a 4.0 grade level for hearing students. That means that half of the deaf and hard of hearing students at that age scored above the typical hearing student at the beginning of fourth grade, and half scored below.
{emphasis mine}

Half of the 17 & 18 YOs tested were at less than a beginning 4th grade level. For you non-USers, 4th graders are usually 9 to 10 YOs. A lot of the kids have reading skills that are 8 years or more behind their hearing peer group. You can imagine their writing skills lag equally far behind. It's a big area of interest in the Deaf Education community.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker:
quote:
The person probably doesn't have a passport either.

???

What does that have to do with intellectual property law? Or is that just a random slam?

Seaboe

It's a summary of the sort of person who assumes that US law is global law or that a US-specific hang-up is not a global hang-up (I get plenty of those!) and who can't understand why they don't get taken seriously when they quote something US-specific at a .co.uk address. It's indicative of the sort of person who who is totally unaware that there is a world beyond their national borders. It's based on 10 years worth of observation of that type of person.

As I said, if they'd cited something applicable beyond their own borders, I'd take notice. The fact they don't is indicative of someone unaware of a world beyond their borders - the sort of person who doesn't own a passport. I don't get this problem from inhabitants any other country (which speaks volumes).

I don't own a passport because I have never had the need or opportunity to travel outside of the U.S. (except to go just across the border into Mexico). The fact that I don't have a passport is indicative of nothing more than the fact that, up to this point in my life, I have not needed one.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages