snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » About This Site » Copyright Trap » Deaf Snopes Buster (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Deaf Snopes Buster
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This probably isn't copyright infringement, but it looks like they're using the term 'Snopes' to imply some sort of mythbusting: Deaf Snopes Buster

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Since snopes isn't David or Barbara's creation, I'm not sure how copyrights would work. They were the ones to associate it with debunking though. Since Google was a word before the search engine was named, but they seem to be able to claim that it is their property when used to mean an internet search engine (or using such an engine) I would guess that snopes could be used in a similar manner.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ghijkmnop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghijkmnop   Author's Homepage   E-mail ghijkmnop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're probably right. Nitpick: The word Google adopted its name from is actually spelled Googol, so this situation may be different.

--------------------
http://www.smokedsalmonband.com/forum

Posts: 41 | From: Augusta, Maine | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems that "google" wasn't previously a word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google
quote:
The name "Google" originated from a misspelling of "googol,"[2][3] which refers to 10100 (the number represented by a 1 followed by one-hundred zeros). The verb "google" was added to the Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary and the Oxford English Dictionary, meaning "to use the Google search engine to obtain information on the Internet."[4][5]
ETA: Spanked by ghijkmnop. Ouch. Now, cut that out! (What happened to "l?")

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago, G.R.I.T.S.:
Spanked by ghijkmnop. Ouch. Now, cut that out! (What happened to "l?")

<*THUD*> That was the sound of my head hitting the desk as I just got that. Noel - perfect for the season!
Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really understand why the listed site chose to include snopes in its name. It seems to be place to share experiences wiit deaf-friendly practices in business and the like. How is that "snopes busting?"
Maybe they just meant the snopes from Faulkner as well.

For an example of what I mean, apparently there is a Drudge retort that aims to be a counter to the Drudge report.

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DadOf3:
quote:
Spanked by ghijkmnop. Ouch. Now, cut that out! (What happened to "l?")

<*THUD*> That was the sound of my head hitting the desk as I just got that. Noel - perfect for the season!
Thanks. Boy, do I feel merely foolish! [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh, what about Barney Google with the goo-goo-googly eyes?
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's exactly what I was thinking about regarding the existance of "google".

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ghijkmnop
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghijkmnop   Author's Homepage   E-mail ghijkmnop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely some smart folks here-- it usually takes a long explanation. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.smokedsalmonband.com/forum

Posts: 41 | From: Augusta, Maine | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DadOf3
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DadOf3     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ghijkmnop:
Definitely some smark folks here-- it usually takes a long explanation. [Smile]

I just checked your profile (great pic, btw) and I see that it isn't just a seasonal thing. Either way, welcome to the boards.

ETA: Correct capitalization.

Posts: 539 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DadOf3:
quote:
Definitely some smark folks here-- it usually takes a long explanation. [Smile]

I just checked your profile (great pic, btw) and I see that it isn't just a seasonal thing. Either way, welcome to the boards.

ETA: Correct capitalization.

Your post prompted me to look at his profile, too. Cool name, that ghijkmnop! [Smile]

[hijack]When I was a small child, I thought lmno (eleminoh) was one letter, instead of four.[/hijack]

Genyus, et al, I stand (sit(?)) corrected. I forgot all about Barney Google, which is strange since I referred to him in another thread not long ago. I never thought of a proper noun, instead of just a regular word, but "Snopes" is a name, too. Duh!

--------------------

Jinxie
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jinxie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SO I was looking at their site and noticed something.

Some of their forum titles are "What stores is deaf freindly" & "What Companies is deaf freindly"

Do you guys think that the Gramatical errors are just errors, or Would that e how a deaf person would say it?

(Not trying to be ugly or the grammar police Because mine is awful sometimes, But I am just curious.)

--------------------
Go Jimmie Go! This is your year!

Posts: 676 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Would that e how a deaf person would say it?
I've read that Deaf people's (English) language skills tend to be below those of their hearing peers. I may still have a sample of letters written by Deaf readers to a Deaf magazine to illustrate this.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

English skills are probably dependent on if the person learned Manually Coded English or American Sign Language. MCE is as close to spoken English as possible including grammar. ASL is a seperate language/dialect with its own rules of grammer and syntax.

For example, MCE uses the English adjective-noun order where ASL uses noun-adjective order. So ASL would sign about a "car blue" where spoken, written and MC English would use "blue car".

ETA: So if a deaf person has learned to sign using ASL, their English writing would be better compared to a Russian's English writing.

Also, the above is from old memory and may be faulty.

--------------------

Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An old roommate of my cousin used to sign.

When I was in highschool I took a basic signing course. This course only taught the words, we made up the sentences.

Three years ago, when I signed with my cousin's roommate, I was told that I was not "speaking" the language, but had an extremely thick "accent".

My example: I am going to the store now.

Corrected to match modern sign: Now, to the store, me go.

The signed language follows few of the rules of spoken grammar. This may lead to some of the poor grammar observed in deaf writings.

Of course, I may be mixed up completely, as this occurred several years ago and I have not followed up any claims made then.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Definitely some smart folks here-- it usually takes a long explanation. [Smile]

[hijack] I just looked at your profile as well--with the dark slacks and the positions of the boxes at your feet, it looks like you have robotic feet! [/hijack]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gale:
Uh, what about Barney Google with the goo-goo-googly eyes?

[lol] Show your age much? There's probably a small number of us that get that one!!

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

My dad is the reason I know about Barney Google.

Sorry.

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
My dad is the reason I know about Barney Google.

Sorry.

I'm the reason I know about Barney Google. You think you're sorry?  -

--------------------

Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It seems that "google" wasn't previously a word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google
quote:
The name "Google" originated from a misspelling of "googol,"[2][3] which refers to 10100 (the number represented by a 1 followed by one-hundred zeros). The verb "google" was added to the Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary and the Oxford English Dictionary, meaning "to use the Google search engine to obtain information on the Internet."[4][5]
ETA: Spanked by ghijkmnop. Ouch. Now, cut that out! (What happened to "l?")
I was under the impression that there is some sort of US legislation aimed at stopping the use of proprietary names as verbs or to form compound nouns. this was pointed out to me in a less than pleasant manner when I mentioned "Xerox-lore" (a compound noun) in an article. It seems that the legislation cited at me only applied within the USA. I believe Google are trying to prevent the use of their name as a verb?

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was under the impression that there is some sort of US legislation aimed at stopping the use of proprietary names as verbs or to form compound nouns. this was pointed out to me in a less than pleasant manner when I mentioned "Xerox-lore" (a compound noun) in an article. It seems that the legislation cited at me only applied within the USA.
I don't think there's any special legislation covering that sort of usage. It's just a misuse of trademark that the trademark holder has a right (and an obligation) to prevent.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Since snopes isn't David or Barbara's creation, I'm not sure how copyrights would work. They were the ones to associate it with debunking though.
And we hold a (pending) Service Mark on the name for that form of usage.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
BARDAV INC. CORPORATION
??

You mean, you and Barbara really do own Disney, Coca-cola, et-al?

~Psihala
(*They've become... one of them...! [Eek!] )

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
And we hold a (pending) Service Mark on the name for that form of usage.

- snopes

Bad link, that.

"This search session has expired. Please start a search session again by clicking on the TRADEMARK icon, if you wish to continue"

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Click on the TRADEMARK icon

Select 'Search' from the right hand menu.

Select 'New user form Search (Basic)

Type "snopes" as the search term and click 'submit query.' [Smile]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When you do a search for "snopes" it says:
quote:
Word Mark SNOPES
Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment Services namely providing a website featuring, photographic, audio, video and prose presentations featuring news and information about urban legends, folklore, myths, rumors, and misinformation. FIRST USE: 19950101. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19950101
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Design Search Code
Serial Number 78973969
Filing Date September 13, 2006
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Owner (APPLICANT) BARDAV INC. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA #245 5737 KANAN ROAD AGOURA HILLS CALIFORNIA 91301
Attorney of Record Richard A. Rodgers
Type of Mark SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL-2(F)
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
I was under the impression that there is some sort of US legislation aimed at stopping the use of proprietary names as verbs or to form compound nouns. this was pointed out to me in a less than pleasant manner when I mentioned "Xerox-lore" (a compound noun) in an article. It seems that the legislation cited at me only applied within the USA.
I don't think there's any special legislation covering that sort of usage. It's just a misuse of trademark that the trademark holder has a right (and an obligation) to prevent.

- snopes

I did get an "act" cited at me, but since it wasn't relevant to a non US citzen i didn't bother keeping the email or checking the wording of the act. You might want to check it out. I was told that my use of "Xerox" was in contravention of that act. Sorry I didn't bother to keep the name of the piece of legislation.

It would be interesting if the cited legislation turned out to be an urban legend.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FuzzDuckie
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzDuckie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the grammar on the site...

Yes.. in GENERAL many deaf people have English skills below average. It really also does not matter if the deaf person grew up learning ASL or was oral. I have at least 2 friends who grew up oral. One has the level of about a 4th grader regarding English, reading and grammar. She is however very bright with math and accounting. I also know many deaf folks who grew up with ASL whose English is better than MINE.

Even with MCE (or SEE Signing Exact English), some still have a poor grasp on grammar and the nuances of the English language, including idioms and such .

--------------------
Clever Waste of Time Invasion IV
An unique Riddle adventure.
PM me for more info. I'm on Brain Candy.
Purple Hell- Riddle Tools

Posts: 1551 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
I did get an "act" cited at me, but since it wasn't relevant to a non US citzen i didn't bother keeping the email or checking the wording of the act. You might want to check it out. I was told that my use of "Xerox" was in contravention of that act.

Well, it did contravene misuse of a registered trademark which is probably what the act was about. I suspect that your usage would have been fine if you were speaking only and specifically of Xerox machines. As a catch-all synonym for "photocopy" it falls under misuse of a brand name. Companies like to be household names, but they also don't want their brand to become generic. Companies like Xerox and Coca-Cola don't like all photocopies to be called "Xeroxes" or all colas to be called "Coke," respectively. If it was being used in an article the company who published could have been sued by Xerox and probably would have lost.

Many companies have lost their trademark when their product name was legally determined to be descriptive and thus could no longer by owned by the creator or anyone else.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:
I did get an "act" cited at me, but since it wasn't relevant to a non US citzen i didn't bother keeping the email or checking the wording of the act. You might want to check it out. I was told that my use of "Xerox" was in contravention of that act.

Well, it did contravene misuse of a registered trademark which is probably what the act was about. I suspect that your usage would have been fine if you were speaking only and specifically of Xerox machines. As a catch-all synonym for "photocopy" it falls under misuse of a brand name. Companies like to be household names, but they also don't want their brand to become generic. Companies like Xerox and Coca-Cola don't like all photocopies to be called "Xeroxes" or all colas to be called "Coke," respectively. If it was being used in an article the company who published could have been sued by Xerox and probably would have lost.

Many companies have lost their trademark when their product name was legally determined to be descriptive and thus could no longer by owned by the creator or anyone else.

I just told the person to go away as I was in a country outside of the jurisdiction of the cited law. The tem "Xerox-lore" has been in use for to long to take issue with it at this stage and the legislation they quoted was specific to the USA.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I just told the person to go away as I was in a country outside of the jurisdiction of the cited law. The tem "Xerox-lore" has been in use for to long to take issue with it at this stage and the legislation they quoted was specific to the USA.

Did you actually check to see whether the law could not be enforced against you, or did you just assume that since it's an American law you're immune? Because there are a lot of laws with extra-territorial effect, particularly in regard to intellectual property (because of the treaties written to enforce them).

Seaboe

EB affect is not effect.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

As well as the fact that Xerox is probably a registered trademark or the equivilent in the UK as well as the US.

--------------------

Llewtrah

The individual cited a piece of US specific legislation at me. Had they cited international legislation or UK legislation I'd have taken more notice. But they didn't, they simply assumed in their naively Americentric way that their local law was globally applicable. The person probably doesn't have a passport either.

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The person probably doesn't have a passport either.

???

What does that have to do with intellectual property law? Or is that just a random slam?

Seaboe

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages