snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Flatlining During Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flatlining During Sex
Got_Fuzzy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Got_Fuzzy         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't sure about putting this here or in Medical, but just to be on the safe side...

An acquaintance of mine insists that it's possible for an otherwise healthy person to experience severe heart arrhythmias and even flatline during "really good sex." This sounds like a load of hogwash to me. All the information I've been able to find on heart arrhythmias during sex or sex after cardiac episodes says that sex may exacerbate things like PVC's, can increase the heart rate, and shouldn't be attempted before one can climb a flight of stairs. There's nothing about how sex can cause a heart attack in someone healthy, no matter how energetic the act is.

Maybe someone with an undiscovered or ignored heart condition could die, and that's the basis for this. Any other suggestions? UL or no?

--------------------
You're an interesting man, Sergeant. You make enemies like a craftsman.

Posts: 45 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think there's about as much chance of that as any other vigorous or high stress activity--going for a jog, swimming, working out in the gym, (for some) public speaking...

If you have, as you said, a heart condition not previously discovered or a clot that hasn't yet broken loose or something, then it's possible. But there's nothing special about sex (that presents itself as unique from other types of exercise/activity) that would short circuit the circulatory system.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have PVC's and take medication for them, and sex hasn't killed ME yet, so hopefully healthy people are safe.

And don't tell me I'm not doing it right, either. [Wink]

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cageboy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cageboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Define healthy. A month ago every test I had was perfect- cholesterol, can do cardio for 1.5 hrs +, bloodwork all clean. I went to Atlanta for business and came back sick and lethargic but in reality had heart disease caused by the virus in my heart. This caused ventrical fibrilation (top part of my heart was beating 300-450 times a minute, bottom was working @ 40% at best). If I had done anything strenuous in that time yes, I probably would have had a heart attack.

Too many people assume that a heart attack is just waiting to happen to a few people. If it's not caused by lifestyle or hereditary reasons you can be "healthy" but ready to drop.

Fortunatly for me living is in my top 10 things to do every day so it was on my list. When the doctor asked if I was sexually active I replied that I was working on that [Smile]

Posts: 10 | From: Billings, MT | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was "Flatulence During Sex".

So, uh, never mind...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LongTallBlonde

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LongTallBlonde     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another factor to consider is that during sex the blood flow in the body is greater in the genital area. Both for males and females. Consequently there is less blood for the heart to push to other organs which can make the heart go into overload.

--------------------
A woman needs a man like fish needs a bicycle....People don't care how much you know, but they know how much you care.

Posts: 50 | From: Huntsville, AL | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
khadijah
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for khadijah   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was "Flatulence During Sex".

So, uh, never mind...

you are not the only one Doug. Jeeze, my mind is really in the gutter.
Posts: 122 | From: Minneapolis/London | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by khadijah:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:

So, uh, never mind...

you are not the only one Doug. Jeeze, my mind is really in the gutter.
Wow. You two stink! [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Make that three of us.

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anecdote - one of my potential graduate supervisors advised me to talk to his students, to get a feel for what it would be like to work with him. One of the students was guy in his mid-20's from South America, who had experienced not one, but *two* heart attacks during wild sex. This was factual - but rumour has it that drug use was involved and was the main cause of the heart attacks. He seemed to be in average-to-good shape.

I didn't know the guy very well, so I didn't know if I should congratulate him, or question his sanity.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How common is it for a woman to experience heart attack during sex? you always hear about older men, but what about the (supposedly) fairer sex?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
possible for an otherwise healthy person to experience severe heart arrhythmias and even flatline during "really good sex."
Otherwise healthy people die of heart attacks every day.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That doesn't say "flatulating during sex," does it?

Yeah...

I got nothing.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get the impression (from the various posts here) that "flatulence" is more common than "flatlining" during sex...

Of course, it could just be more survivable...

(usually...) [Smile]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 86 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
How common is it for a woman to experience heart attack during sex? you always hear about older men, but what about the (supposedly) fairer sex?

I was thinking about that last night. I suppose men are more likely to be the ones exerting the most effort. Most sexual positions require the man to do more work, so it figures that he'd be the one more likely to have the heart attack.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deflowerkid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deflowerkid   E-mail deflowerkid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahem.....I think I can answer this one safely. I'm not a nurse...yet, but I am a Monitor Technician in the ICU at the hospital here. I read heart rhythms all day, basically. For a person to go into asystole (technical term for flatlining) it takes complete and total death of all the cells in the heart. They are also more likely to go into another abnormal rhythm first, ventricular tachycardia, or ventricular fibrilation. It is very rare for anyone to go into these lethal heart rhythms, but for anyone to do it during sex is highly unlikely. Perhaps PVC'S, or premature ventricular complexes, are more likely. We have those all the time, when you feel you heart thumping against your chest, when you are scared for example.

So...in conclusion, I'd say very very unlikely. But possible? Sure.

-k

--------------------
a penny saved is worth two in the bush.

Posts: 17 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages