snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Santas = pedophiles (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Santas = pedophiles
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 104 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hello. I just heard this urban legend thats been going around
here. It goes that those Mall/Store/ect Santas are most likly pedophiles
wanting pleasure. Im not sure if this is true or not,but it could be on
the site,don't you think?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin is a Mall santa, and he's not a pedophile. Plus he's so fat that I doubt he could feel anything on his lap-- his belly is so big that the kids have to perch on his knees.
ETA: obviously this does not prove true for all mall santas, but all mall santas are not pedophiles, either.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh. I'm watching Bad Santa as I type this.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would not say that all Santas are pedophiles, but if you were a pedophile, being a mall Santa would probably be a very appealing job. There is probably a slightly higher rate of pedophiles in the bunch for that reason.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine from long ago (I know, I know, anectdote <> data!) said his father was a mall santa during the christmas season. He was also a child psychologist. According to said friend, all applications for mall santa are put through thorough background checks, and some psychology degree is preffered. But that's all I know.

Some sites I've found:

http://jobseeker.unicru.com/asp/Advice/AdvOdj001222.asp

Umm, so far just the one. Though a couple job listings I found for mall santas request that the applicants be "naturally bearded"

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MizzyLou
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizzyLou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine worked in a mall in (I think)New Mexico and she said they did background checks on the mall santa applicants.

Then again, when my sister was a teenager, her boyfriend wanted a pic of her with santa, and the mall santa copped a feel. The look on her face in that photo is priceless. I can't believe she didn't throw a fit, but she didn't; she just left without saying a word.

Posts: 264 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Then again, when my sister was a teenager, her boyfriend wanted a pic of her with santa, and the mall santa copped a feel. The look on her face in that photo is priceless. I can't believe she didn't throw a fit, but she didn't; she just left without saying a word.
Anyone else thinking of Father Christmas do not touch me?

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because someone turns up a clean background check doesn't mean they aren't a pedophile. All it means is that if they are one, they haven't been caught - or haven't acted on the urges at all.
Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silken Ray:
Just because someone turns up a clean background check doesn't mean they aren't a pedophile. All it means is that if they are one, they haven't been caught - or haven't acted on the urges at all.

I was under the impression that a pedophile, by definition must have acted on the urges. Otherwise it is just a fantasy, which many people would never act on in actuality.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
unklesamta
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unklesamta   E-mail unklesamta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bach_Girl from what I know, a pedophile is defined as an adult who has a sexual attraction for children. They don't have to act upon it, just have the attraction.

--------------------
The less you know, the more you believe. -Bono

Posts: 457 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
freshacconci
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freshacconci   E-mail freshacconci       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by unklesam's under the boardwalk:
Bach_Girl from what I know, a pedophile is defined as an adult who has a sexual attraction for children. They don't have to act upon it, just have the attraction.

...which of course means a background check is of only limited value. But is a psychology degree really expected? How much checking really goes into seasonal workers who, I'm guessing, aren't paid much (if one is to believe TV and movies--I've never worked as a mall santa, or any other kind of santa--so I have no idea what they make).

--------------------
They call them fingers, but I never see them fing.

Oh, there they go.

Posts: 13 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by freshacconci:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by unklesam's under the boardwalk:
[qb] But is a psychology degree really expected?

It would not be required, but it might be a plus for some companies depending on what the job might entail.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if a psych degree is required or preferred, that has nothing to do with whether or not the holder of such a degree is a pedophile. I can not think of any reason why the two would be mutually exclusive.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diddy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diddy   E-mail diddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
Even if a psych degree is required or preferred, that has nothing to do with whether or not the holder of such a degree is a pedophile. I can not think of any reason why the two would be mutually exclusive.

It wasn't implied, Lady Lockout said:
quote:
A friend of mine from long ago (I know, I know, anectdote <> data!) said his father was a mall santa during the christmas season. He was also a child psychologist. According to said friend, all applications for mall santa are put through thorough background checks, and some psychology degree is preffered. But that's all I know.
She never said that psychology degrees were preferred. I guessed as to the why, but no link was implied or suggested.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?
But this image of Bush as some sort of Snidely Whiplash tying the fair maiden to the railroad tracks is beyond the pale. - Joe Bentley

Posts: 2311 | From: Minnnesota | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by diddy:
quote:

quote:
She never said that psychology degrees were preferred. I guessed as to the why, but no link was implied or suggested.

What? Did you read the quote you posted? It says straight out that "some psychology degree is preferred." That does not directly state the reason, but as it was mentioned in conjunction with background checks in a thread about mall Santas being pedophiles, it does seem to imply that a psychology degree would render a person less likely to be a pedophile.

--------------------

diddy

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

What? Did you read the quote you posted? It says straight out that "some psychology degree is preferred." That does not directly state the reason, but as it was mentioned in conjunction with background checks in a thread about mall Santas being pedophiles, it does seem to imply that a psychology degree would render a person less likely to be a pedophile.
I read it, I responded with a supposition on why they would ask for it. I assumed it was just an afterthought on mall Santa requirements, not that it had anything to do with pedophilia. It was not even a general requirement about the job elsewhere. We can agree that having a background check reduces the likelihood of hiring a pedophile.

The thread also refers to preference of having their own beard, but nobody's really suggesting that we link pedophiles with people who have naturally Santa like beards.

The only thing that we should be concerned with is if there is an increased risk that mall santas are pedophiles. I think we can say that any job that involves kids are going to draw pedophiles, but the employers of these jobs (and most other jobs where your around kids) are increasingly aware of this and actually perform background checks to confirm their status and they interview them too. Sure, you could get a serial killer that nobody has found, or even a pedophile, but there are resonble efforts that they go through that screens these guys out.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago, in my mis-spent youth, I worked taking pictures at the mall of kids with Santa and the Easter bunny. I can tell you that our Santas did not have psychology degrees (one was the manager's 20 year old mechanic boyfriend) and the Easter bunny was usually one of us girls. We did have to make sure that both of Santa's hands were visible in the picture (company rule) and Santa had to wear his white gloves at all times (they show up better in the pictures). As far as I know we didn't employ any pedophiles, but who really knows? I know I learned a lot more about "parent psychology" than "child psychology" from those experiences.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin is a retired trucker who never got a degree in anything. He makes quite a lovely Santa; the only problem is that his beard gives him a form of diaper rash (he grows his own so the kids can tug on it and see he's real).

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kuzibah

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kuzibah   E-mail Kuzibah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The two malls I shop at during the Xmas season also have a "Mrs. Claus" who works very closely with Santa (at one of the malls, she and Santa share a sofa with the kids.) Until reading this thread, I hadn't thought it was to reassure parents about the man behind the beard, but that may be the reason.
Posts: 31 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not even universal for security guards to undergo background checks, so I can't imagine it's universal for mall Santas.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ho, ho, ho, little boy, have I got a surprise for you!

(Five points)

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 206 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Wren:
Ho, ho, ho, little boy, have I got a surprise for you!

(Five points)

Are You Being Served? Season 4. “The Father Christmas Affair” (First shown 24 December 1976).

Spoken by the malfunctioning mechanical Santa.

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by unklesam's under the boardwalk:

How would anyone know?
Unless someone has had a conviction, I don't think they would disclose it voluntarily.

I can see someone writing down on their Santa job application form.
"I've got paedophile tendencies, but I've never acted on them before"

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Five points and a candy cane for VeebleFetzer!

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HenryChicane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HenryChicane   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pirateslife:
.....He makes quite a lovely Santa; the only problem is that his beard gives him a form of diaper rash.....

He must have a really long beard!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ironhillpark

Posts: 75 | From: NewCastle, Delaware | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
defrostmode

Icon 1 posted      Profile for defrostmode   Author's Homepage   E-mail defrostmode   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't read all the post, and I have no idea how the minds of pedophiles (especially after seeing how stupid they can be time after time on 'nightline', or whatever that show is).

but would a child sitting on their lap in front of a TON of other people (including the parents) really do anything? (and yes I DO understand exibitionism, but would that really count)?

anywho, using something that applies to me, having an attractive female sit on my wife (ETA: LAP! it's supposed to be lap!!! lol, whats wrong with me?) isn't enough to get me 'excited' especially if we're in a packed mall (unless there is more than just 'sitting' going on, which would seem a little hard for others not to notice).

Just my opinion...

Posts: 34 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by defrostmode:
I didn't read all the post, and I have no idea how the minds of pedophiles (especially after seeing how stupid they can be time after time on 'nightline', or whatever that show is).

but would a child sitting on their lap in front of a TON of other people (including the parents) really do anything? (and yes I DO understand exibitionism, but would that really count)?

anywho, using something that applies to me, having an attractive female sit on my wife isn't enough to get me 'excited' especially if we're in a packed mall (unless there is more than just 'sitting' going on, which would seem a little hard for others not to notice).

Just my opinion...

Wouldn't a better example be for an attractive female to sit on your own lap, rather than your wife's? And also for it to be comparable imagine that it's illegal for you to be attracted to attractive women, and so you don't get an opportunity for one to be so near you often.

Ick, I just creeped myself out.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I happen to think that this whole legend is kinda ridiculous. Yes, I'm sure there have been pedophilic Santas, but is it rational to assume that any significant percentage of Santas are pedophiles? This smacks of the "why else would a man want to work so close to children"? suspicion that some parents have of male elementary school teachers.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
defrostmode

Icon 1 posted      Profile for defrostmode   Author's Homepage   E-mail defrostmode   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
um...

That was supposed to be on my LAP.... not on my wife! *ahem*
well that wasn't embarrassing at all...

Well anyways. what I'm trying to say is that I would think they would find a more private way than a packed store to have a child do something that would turn them on (and from the news and everything it would seem they are able to way to often). and I don't think it would turn me on any more or less if it was illegal for me to be attracted to females... and I could still find ways to get my 'holly jollies' in a more private setting with something thats more of a turn on.

Posts: 34 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

MapleLeaf, I don't think anyone is suggesting that a significant percentage of Santas are pedophiles. What is being discussed is whether is significant percentage of pedophiles would think being mall Santa was a great idea. That is not the same thing. Sort of a flowers and roses distinction.

Defrostmode, I think one attractive woman sitting on your lap is not a perfect analogy; how would you feel about a line of attractive women waiting to sit on your lap?

--------------------

Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it hard to believe that a pedophile would seek to have children in their lap, in a crowded mall, with a bunch of people standing around watching and taking pictures.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
defrostmode

exactly what I'm saying Bach_girl

and geminilee, a 'line' of attractive woman lined up outside my bedroom to do things other than 'sit'... without anyone else there sounds like a turn-on... not a line of attractive woman in line to sit on my lap in a packed mall with their family and a TON of other people standing there watching... doesn't sound like a turnon at all (at most an ego-boost!).

diddy

quote:
MapleLeaf, I don't think anyone is suggesting that a significant percentage of Santas are pedophiles.

I would agree with you gem if the thread were entitled pedophiles=santas, but my interpret the thread is exactly what maple leaf was saying, that a great deal of mall santas are pedophiles. Heck, even snopes comment says:

quote:
I just heard this urban legend thats been going around here. It goes that those Mall/Store/ect Santas are most likly pedophiles wanting pleasure
Its a bit ridiculous since most pedophiles probably are not going to be so public in an area with a lot of adults where the risk of getting caught is way too great.

--------------------
W.W.F.S.M.D?

defrostmode

thanks diddy, I'm glad some people can say what I'm trying to say (only in an intelligent fashion)!
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I just heard this urban legend thats been going around here. It goes that those Mall/Store/ect Santas are most likly pedophiles wanting pleasure
Its a bit ridiculous since most pedophiles probably are not going to be so public in an area with a lot of adults where the risk of getting caught is way too great. [/QB]
Most Pedophiles aren't going to do any sexual acts with children:

Three types of pedophiles:
-Those that get aroused just by talking to children (Which would seem to fit as a Santa Clause.)
-Those that get aroused by talking about sex/ sexual topics with children (There was an incident here last summer of a man on the beach going around offering parents that he'd talk to their children about sex eductation, he wouldn't have assaulted the children.)
-Those that would try do sexual things with children.

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages