snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Trading Card of Jets Rookie Creates Stir

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trading Card of Jets Rookie Creates Stir
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 16 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Leon Washington jump-started the New York Jets' running game with his shifty moves and gamebreaking speed. The rookie running back has also created a stir among sports trading card collectors with a questionable photograph.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061115/D8LDPANO0.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DAnnino
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DAnnino     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this on ESPN Radio on my way to work tonight. I don't buy his explanation of forming an "E" with his hands.

Wish I had a card, though. I'd put it on eBay for $100.

--------------------
NO BETTER FRIEND, NO WORSE ENEMY
--
"I grok when apes learn to laugh, they'll be people."

Posts: 727 | From: Southeastern Arizona | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody in the production on the card - the photographer, the photographer's assistents, the layout person, the quality control person - saw this? No one in the chain stopped and said - "hmm - this is a tad inappropriate, we should reshoot?"

Whether or not Leon deliberately flipped the bird in the photo, that it was allowed to be released like this means someone was asleep at the switch.

(Of course, someone may have let it through knowing the card would become a valuable collector's item.)

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monza305
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monza305   E-mail Monza305   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
His story is that he was flashing a couple of "E"s for the east side of Jacksonville, where he's from. I haven't seen the card, but if you have to explain it, you probably shouldn't have done it.

--------------------
I've got a pen in my pocket does that make me a writer?
Standing on the mountain doesn't make me no higher.
Putting on gloves don't make you a fighter.
And all the study in the world doesn't make it science. -Paul Weller

Posts: 199 | From: Kalamazoo, MI | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 16 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Now, the search is on for the anonymous rookie who is rumored to have made the "two in the pink, one in the stink" gesture. Expected to bring small fortunes to ebay sellers worldwide.
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abbubmah:
quote:
Now, the search is on for the anonymous rookie who is rumored to have made the "two in the pink, one in the stink" gesture. Expected to bring small fortunes to ebay sellers worldwide.
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Ah, The Shocker. What photograph does it not improve?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debunker:
Nobody in the production on the card - the photographer, the photographer's assistents, the layout person, the quality control person - saw this? No one in the chain stopped and said - "hmm - this is a tad inappropriate, we should reshoot?"

Maybe they thought "No, don't be stupid - even Americans couldn't make a fuss over a non-issue as absurd as this".

I couldn't even tell what was supposed to be "obscene" until I read the text. Really, I don't think some people know what that word means...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds of the Billy Ripken Baseball Card incident.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How do they figure he's making an "E"? It's pretty obvious he's flipping the bird and the card should be pulled

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bird
E
and the ever popular
west siiiiiiiiide

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the clarification, Rhiandmoi, but I still don't see that he's making that E gesture (no pinkies). Any why in the frilly heck is he making a gesture anyway?? I'm not a card collector or even a sports fan, but the cards I've seen are pretty generic posing.

--------------------

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lavender blue
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lavender blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack] For all of my manual dexterity learned through years of crafts and complex chemical experiments, I am completely unable to do any of the gestures Rhiandmoi illustrates without significant uncomfortableness (with the exception of flipping the bird). Does anyone else have this problem? [/hijack]

lavender "obviously not sucessful as a gang member" blue

--------------------
catagenesis [evol]-evolution leading to decadence and decreased vigor.

Posts: 480 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fun with a 9mm:
Thanks for the clarification, Rhiandmoi, but I still don't see that he's making that E gesture (no pinkies). Any why in the frilly heck is he making a gesture anyway?? I'm not a card collector or even a sports fan, but the cards I've seen are pretty generic posing.

People will often throw up a sign for where they are from. I think that if he is making Es his pinkies are pointing into his armpits, so they aren't really visible in the picture.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think it looks like he's flipping the bird, and it definitely doesn't look like The Shocker. I think to anyone even marginally familiar with neighborhood (or gang) hand signs it looks like he's throwing one of those.

Normally I think I'm pretty understanding of other people's feelings about things like this, but I just don't see any reason to get offended or pull the card.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fun with a 9mm:
Thanks for the clarification, Rhiandmoi, but I still don't see that he's making that E gesture (no pinkies).

It looks exactly like it to me, given his little fingers are under his arms. And it looks nothing like "flipping the bird" - why would he be doing that with his thumbs? Even when I was looking for "obscene hand gestures", before I read the text, I assumed it must look like some sort of supposed satanic-hysteria rubbish that I hadn't heard of.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

I just assumed the thumbs were to distract from the gesture. And, truthfully, I'm not surprised that he's doing it. From the little I've seen of some of these professional sports guys (news, etc.) my opinion of them isn't terribly high.

ETA: The pinkies don't look "tucked in" to me. It definately looks like a clenched fist with middle finger and thumb out.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages