snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Dildos labeled as "Dolls"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dildos labeled as "Dolls"?
Lizzy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Lizzy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if this has been posted before, but couldn't find it in search.

Okay, I was just at one of those " Slumber Parties " and the consultant told us something I thought I've heard of before, but wondering if it was true. She was passing around dildos/dildo vibraters around the room. One of us noticed a strange little smiley face up near the tip. The consultant told us that the reason it is there is because it was manufactured in another country and they "can't" import sex toys into the U.S. So they put a face on it and label it as a doll. Anyone heard of this? (Any Google search I can think of only gets me pages about buying dildos and blow-up dolls. [Mad] )

--------------------
"Do you see me now? I'm like a fireball . . . with these shoulder pads I have the strength to destroy villages, homes and crops. GEM SWEATER!"

Posts: 72 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like more of a novelty item, a bit like this, rather than a means to circumvent import restrictions. Although I believe there are bans on the sale of sex toys in a few states.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizzy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, what I saw looked like an everyday run-of-the-mill vibrator, with a small face imprinted into it. Almost like a company logo imprint, but I don't think that's what it was.

--------------------
"Do you see me now? I'm like a fireball . . . with these shoulder pads I have the strength to destroy villages, homes and crops. GEM SWEATER!"

Posts: 72 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
Sounds like more of a novelty item, a bit like this,

No no, thats a "neck massager" [Razz]
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Blowfish, there's a law in Japan prohibiting manufacture or sale of "anatomically correct sex toys". So a Japanese-made toy will take one of three forms:

1. It might have some disturbingly cute shape like a dolphin or a teddy bear or See Above.

2. It might be phallic in shape, but have an odd little smiley-face just under the glans, making it look vaguely like Marlo Thomas in That Girl.

3. There's always the bizarrely nonrepresentational 60s-abstract-sculpture look.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard of vibrators being marketed as "back massagers" to get around sex toy laws, but never ones labeled as "dolls".

- Pseudo "guys and dildos" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
Sounds like more of a novelty item, a bit like this, rather than a means to circumvent import restrictions. Although I believe there are bans on the sale of sex toys in a few states.

What I'd always heard is that they were labeled novelty items to circumvent restrictions. (Like in Japan, and here in the U.S. back in the day.)

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The label on the Hello Kitty vibrator claims it's a "massager". Yeah, right.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizzy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Wren:

2. It might be phallic in shape, but have an odd little smiley-face just under the glans, making it look vaguely like Marlo Thomas in That Girl.

That sounds exactly like what I saw.

--------------------

Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people seem to be under the impression the Hitachi Magic Wand is for their backs and shoulders. See the Amazon description vs. the reviews. Please...

This place even sells the attachments without naming them. [lol] Especially funny when you look at the 3 young medical professionals at the top. They look happy... Under uses, they seem to have forgot "wanking" though...

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Erin
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erin   Author's Homepage   E-mail Erin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TYXUUsDGxkU

Take a look at the texas laws.

--------------------
I am the snake. Bite, bite, bite.

Posts: 247 | From: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ana Ng, I had no idea Amazon.com sold sex toys. How wonderful, since I often receive gift certificates for Amazon. And Amazon is ususally much cheaper than other retailers. Thanks for the link.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dreams of Thinking Machines
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreams of Thinking Machines   E-mail Dreams of Thinking Machines   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Ana Ng, I had no idea Amazon.com sold sex toys. How wonderful, since I often receive gift certificates for Amazon. And Amazon is ususally much cheaper than other retailers. Thanks for the link.

You don't remember this toy ?

--------------------
Obi Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
Anakin: "Um, isn't your last statement an absolute?"

Posts: 166 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this... Active topics shouldn't see this...

I think that's sufficient... Cervus, I have to say, if you're in the market- Worth. Every. Penny. I got mine from Toys in Babeland, and it is by far and away one of my favorite purchases of all time. All. Time. Really works out those kinks... [lol]

It also is not too obviously "what it is"- my daughter has found it on a few occasions, she thinks it's a microphone. And, though I never have, it can be used during gettin' it on and I hear it's amazing. Here is a review of it from a guy...

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages