snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » No evidence to support myth that saltpeter lowers libidos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No evidence to support myth that saltpeter lowers libidos
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Q: I have a question about the effects of saltpeter on erections. I have reason to believe my wife is feeding me saltpeter.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060919/HEALTH/609190320/1242/health

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sailors in the British navy may have started the rumor that saltpeter was put in their food to lower their libidos.
In the Dutch army there used to be a similar myth involving camphor being added to the food to that effect.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes' article:

Q: I have a question about the effects of saltpeter on erections. I have reason to believe my wife is feeding me saltpeter.

I am a very sexual person who has no problems getting and maintaining an erection. In the past three weeks, every time she cooks and I eat her food, I can't get an erection. When I don't eat at home for a few days, I am normal again. If I eat at the house, the same thing happens again.

A: your wife is not drugging your food, she's just ugly. Get her a gym membership for her birthday. That should do wonders for your love life.

(You'll wonder why you don't get any anymore...) [fish]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Cat Named Easter
Catfish on a Hot Tin Roof

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Cat Named Easter     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in Air Force Basic Training, we jokingly used to suggest the same thing. Talking it over one day (I have no idea how *that* subject came up) we decided that a high level of mental stress, a strictly regimented schedule and no privacy whatsoever would have the same effect and was the more likely culprit.

TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI: To this day, that 6+ weeks is the longest I have ever gone without an orgasm, assisted or otherwise. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I am the death that walks the night.
I am the bringer of dreamless sleep.

Posts: 196 | From: Newly relocated to Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages