snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Abby/Annie synchronicity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Abby/Annie synchronicity
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 09 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I know this isn't an urban legend question, but I saw these two
articles today. The excerpts I sent you are from two different advice
columnists that are nationally syndicated. This is one of those things
that could end up being forwarded all over.

First off, From today's (Sept 18th, 2006) Dear Abby
http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/

DEAR ABBY: My husband and I are in our late 30s, healthy and in good
shape. Our love life is good, and we get along better now than we ever
have in our marriage.

Before we get any older, my husband has asked me to visit a nudist beach
or resort with him. He also says he would like to spice up our sex life by
making love in the forest beside a mountain stream, or even the back seat
of our car in a secluded spot.

Coming from a religious background, I am not totally comfortable with the
idea of going nude at a beach in front of a lot of other people, or the
thought of being caught having sex in the woods. My husband says that
visiting a nudist beach or resort is not about exhibitionism or
immorality. He says it is about enjoying nature and feeling the sensation
of being free outdoors.

To be honest, these are things I might like to try, but I am just not
sure. I'm concerned about what others would think if they found out. My
husband says what we do is our own business, and the only way anyone we
know would find out is if we told them.

Would it be wrong for us to go to a nude beach or resort, just to try it
out? -- WONDERING WIFE IN PENNSYLVANIA

DEAR WONDERING WIFE: I recommend you consider your husband's suggestions
one at a time, and see how comfortable you are with each one.
There is nothing sinful about going to a nude beach with one's husband.
When you do, you will see entire families and people of every age enjoying
themselves --- all looking remarkably similar, and none of them leering at
anyone else. Should you run into people you know, I can't imagine anyone
gossiping about it, since they would have to explain how they happened to
see you.
As to spicing up your sex life by making love in public places: Although
some people may enjoy the "danger" of possibly being discovered, I don't
recommend it because it leaves couples vulnerable to being exploited by
anyone who happens by, or being cited for violating local ordinances
against indecent exposure.

--------------------------------------------------------
Then from today's (Sept 18th, 2006) Annie's Mailbox
http://www.creators.com/lifestyle_show.cfm?columnsName=ama

Dear Annie: My wife and I are in our 40s, healthy and in good shape. Our
life is great, and we get along better now than ever. Before we get any
older, I would like to try something different. Lately, I've been talking
to my wife about experiencing a nude beach or resort.
We've talked about making love in the forest alongside a mountain stream
or even in the back seat of our car in a secluded spot.

Coming from a very religious background, my wife feels such things are
immoral. I explained that going to a nude beach is not about being an
exhibitionist. It's about enjoying nature and feeling the sensation of
being free outdoors. I am not asking for a lifestyle change. I'd just like
to try these things.

Believe me, I am not an exhibitionist. I am discreet and respect my wife's
limits. But the thought of making love outside or skinny-dipping in the
warm ocean seems wonderful. I want to share these experiences with her.
Are my desires wrong? She said I should ask for your opinion. What do you
think? -- Wondering Husband

Dear Wondering: There is no "right" or "wrong." Anything that goes on
between two consenting adults is fine as long as no one gets hurt. Your
wife is a bit more inhibited about her body than you are. If you want to
spend a weekend at a nudist resort, you might look into those that allow
you to bring spouses who opt to remain fully clothed. It's a reasonable
compromise.

----------------------------------------------

Many similarities between the two letters. Do both syndicates use a
random letter generating program or something?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw that one in Dear Abby this morning.

That's awesome. I guess they're both having problems. Marriage counseling, anyone?

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like the two recycle letters between them & today their luck ran out.

10 lashes w/ a wet noodle fish [fish]

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The odds against the wife writing to Abby and the husband writing to Annie and both getting published the same day must be astronomical. That the letters are nearly the same (word for word in some places) is suspect as well. I don't know, however, what it means. Maybe their letters come from the same original source.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like the wife could have very well have written two different letters and changed the wording slightly and dropped them both in the mailbox (or hit send) on the same day.

She may have been trying to get more than one opinion on the subject.

It is a little odd that they both got published on the same day, but, I guess stranger things have happened!

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
betabox
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betabox     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This all leaves me wondering whether they like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain. If they're not into health food, and -- well, I guess they've already made it obvious that they don't have half a brain.

-bb

Posts: 10 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought we were supposed to be commenting on the fact that wifey said "late 30s" and hubby said "40s"!

But that's just the way my brain works.

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think they were from Yale?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The most suspicious thing to me is that they were published the same day.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if it's a prank or not, but let me tell you, going to a nudist camp really spices up your sex life. My uncle tried that. Well, it wasn't actually a nudist camp, it was downtown at rush hour, but after the police threw him in a cell he said he had some exceptional sex.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 05 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I didn't realize that one said "husband" and one said "wife". I guess I read it too fast and thought they were both from a woman...

I still think it's weird that they both used some of the same wording.

Now I'm wondering if it was just someone trying to get attention by writing the letters. [Confused]

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 98 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
I don't know if it's a prank or not, but let me tell you, going to a nudist camp really spices up your sex life. My uncle tried that. Well, it wasn't actually a nudist camp, it was downtown at rush hour, but after the police threw him in a cell he said he had some exceptional sex.

Too funny, man!! [lol]

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
alsachti
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alsachti     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oceanic Aura:
I thought we were supposed to be commenting on the fact that wifey said "late 30s" and hubby said "40s"!

My guess is that the wife is in her late 30s, and the man is his 40s...
Posts: 12 | From: Strasbourg, France | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alsachti:
quote:

Or the wife is lying about her age.

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Carolyn Hax and Margo Howard answered the same letter on July 7 and August 18, respectively. It's interesting to see the different answers they give; I'd love to see Dan Savage's response to the wife's letter as quoted in the OP. ("That religious background of yours that tells you your body is too sinful to expose? F*ck it, WWIP. I'll bet you tan lines-to-twat burns your priest/rabbi/mullah has done worse. So be GGG for your husband--not because you'll be too old in a few years to have fun (my God, your late thirties? You're just hitting your sexual stride! Not that I would know from personal experience, being only seventeen myself...) but because deep down, you know you want to try these things, too. Whenever people trot out 'religious background' as an excuse not to be sexually adventurous, I know they've run out of real reasons. Good luck, and send me naked pictures of your husband.")

Esprise "advice column junkie" Me

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You really "pegged" Dan Savage there, I have to say- good job!

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ho. ly. crap!

I can HEAR his voice saying ALL of that! BRAVA!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to sound like an ignorant barbarian here, but... Dan Savage?

(In case anyone's curious, "What?! Hendak, you ignorant barbarian!" is from Baldur's Gate II)

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ota Faction:
quote:
Originally posted by alsachti:
quote:

Or the wife is lying about her age.
That is only one in a plethora of possible lies in this scenario.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

quote:
Originally posted by Dragon's Jewel:

Only the greatest advice columnist alive!
Wikipedia page on Savage
One of my favorite columns of his
Books by Dan Savage

--------------------

remigo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for remigo   E-mail remigo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon's Jewel:

Only the greatest advice columnist alive!
I second that!

PS I'm aware this is a really pointless post, but I'm a DS evangelist these days.

--------------------
If you don't cry it isn't love
If you don't cry then you just don't feel it deep enough

Posts: 238 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages