snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » World's Best Divorce Letter (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: World's Best Divorce Letter
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not interested in falling out Dara, and I apologised to Chloe for overlooking her post, not reading it and dismissing it, so I do not think I have displayed an attitude to her that demonstrates an insensitivity to gender roles.

I will always reserve the right to be as hostile on a message board to anything I percieve to be a personal attack, as I would in my local pub should the local nutter chuck an ashtray in my direction - and for clarity I dont think you are on the attack.

Anyway, in the interests of more productive and enjoyable debates in the future, lets just leave it here.

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, and do you (or anybody who read this ironically) have an opinion about the "****ing remote" line? Because that's what made it clear to me that the letter was meant to be bitter and wounding rather than satirical. An oblivious jerk would have no reason to make a request for the remote angry, but a guy looking to make his ex feel worthless would have every reason to. ("You're no good for anything but finding the remote.")
Yeah, I've got an opinion on that. I'm reasonably sure the line about where to find the remote is a later addition and didn't appear in the original text (or at least in older versions).

Early forms of the piece seem to have cropped up on Usenet and on the Web in November, 2003. See, for example, http://www.thechron.net/mr5/2003/11/ (NFBSK, NSFW, etc.) and a post to rec.woodworking.

By early 2004, the missive bears the line about the remote, which to me does seem pretty tacked on. See, for example, a post to free.uk.talk.leicester.

Yes, it's tough to know which form first circulated by e-mail (and when these forms first appeared), but I'm betting it was the remoteless one. (My impression is that, in addition to making other modifications, folks generally add to rather than subtract from these things before they send them on to friends, co-workers, and family members.)

By the way, such bitter "letter" types aren't particularly new. I'm quite fond of a similar (but older) "Dear John's Revenge" form.

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non vero, ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
quote:
Oh, and do you (or anybody who read this ironically) have an opinion about the "****ing remote" line?
Yeah, I've got an opinion on that. I'm reasonably sure the line about where to find the remote is a later addition and didn't appear in the original text (or at least in older versions).

-- Bonnie

I think this was more of a "How does this influence the OP" question.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Friends of Alfred:
I'm saying that I do not equate the behaviour in the op with real life, and as such do not think that this displays insesitivity to gender issues.

And here's the crux. The fact that you do not equate this behavior with real life displays, in and of itself, insensitivity to gender issuses.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mother of Nanaballis
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mother of Nanaballis         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's ironic that a man's "divorce fantasy" would be all the sex he wants with lots of hot chicks (which would NEVER happen in real life), and a woman's "divorce fantasy" is that she will finally get some welcome solitude, and can be selfish without feeling guilty (VERY likely to happen).
Posts: 23 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mother of Nanaballis:
I think it's ironic that a man's "divorce fantasy" would be all the sex he wants with lots of hot chicks (which would NEVER happen in real life), and a woman's "divorce fantasy" is that she will finally get some welcome solitude, and can be selfish without feeling guilty (VERY likely to happen).

Not always. I have personally seen a lady who dumped her ageing, sex-weary husband to marry a younger and "hotter" guy, and a man who, after a catastrophic divorce, enjoyed solitude for a year or two before looking for a GF.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome solitude?
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gale:
Welcome solitude?

Yep - strange as it seems.

After a few years of unpleasant marriage or a long divorce procedure that went like trench warfare, many people can find solitude enjoyable... or will need some time to recover.

"I'm still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind".

Elton John

Sometimes, "picking up the pieces" will require being left alone by the rest of the world.

But sometimes, too, some others (both genders) will jump to the next relationship, will have a shorter or longer period of crazy sex - sort of getting drunk. To get even, to regain some self esteem (it's the wrong method), or to kill the pain.

--------------------

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some people welcome solitude at any time.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Of course, Lainie - I was just relating my answer to the two posts above.

--------------------

terralioness
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terralioness   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Long post ahead!

There seem to be two interpretations of "irony" here.

quote:
Originally posted by Friends of Alfred:
The irony is that Dan thinks he has the high ground, but clearly is an asshole.

This is the one where we laugh at Dan. It's also the one I don't buy -- why would Dan think he has the moral high ground? He's just trying to hurt the ex. Where in the letter do you see that he thinks he has the high ground? (By the way, Friends of Alfred, did you miss my posts as well as Chloe's? The ones where I asked for a specific explanation of why people took the piece as ironic? You're being very vague here.)

The other is this:

quote:
Originally posted by ertceps:
What the letter writer is SAYING he means is the exact opposite of what message he intends the letter to convey...he SAYS he wants his wife back BUT every despicable act he describes to her is another nail in the coffin of their marriage

This is known as I-R-O-N-Y...look it up

(Charmingly condescending, by the way)

This is what I've been saying all along. Sure, he's using irony as a tactic in the letter itself. Not only do I not personally see why it makes the letter funny, but it's not the defense others have been using. It's not the one that gives the "moral high ground" in laughing at the joke, which would be the defense that you're laughing at the jackass, not cheering him on. Whether or not you think the irony is effective for what he's trying to do, he's being emotionally abusive and repeating old and ugly stereotypes. Hilarious!

So yeah, I'll certainly concede that Dan is using irony as a tool in the letter. He's using it to make the statement all the more wounding. And we're supposed to sympathize with him, or say he's not a misogynist jackass, how?

quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
I'm reasonably sure the line about where to find the remote is a later addition and didn't appear in the original text (or at least in older versions).

Interesting. It does feel tacked-on, which may be why some people are overlooking it in their readings. It makes me wonder even more what the original intent of the author was, though since it's not very well-written, intent is pretty irrelevant at this point. To me, it just made the point of the letter that much less subtle.

Without that line, different readings might be more viable.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:

Ryda's right on. The origins are important and interesting, but they don't affect the way that people have reacted to this version in this thread.

I'll repeat my question: To everybody who has found the joke funny and is claiming an ironic reading, how do you take the "****ing remote" line?

(I thought about boldfacing that so it might not get overlooked again, but I decided against it. Might come off as too snarky.)

--------------------
"I never liked Hemingway."
"I never liked you."

Posts: 543 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took the irony in reading it as if the bloke actually really meant what he was saying.

And I took the "remote" line to be what it is - a bad and obvious punchline to a joke that's not funny in the first place.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by terralioness:
I'll repeat my question: To everybody who has found the joke funny and is claiming an ironic reading, how do you take the "****ing remote" line?

(I thought about boldfacing that so it might not get overlooked again, but I decided against it. Might come off as too snarky.)

I wish I could answer that one for you, but I find it funny because it's so blatantly offensive that it makes me laugh out of shock.

I don't think it's ironic at all. Dan's just an asshole.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, yes, but my point was how a bit of netlore can change over time to reflect various senders' biases. (You can also see how these letters have been adapted to more comfortably conform to senders' locales.)

The "remote" line, which tended to make the letter "bitter and wounding rather than satirical" to terralioness, didn't originate with the earlier piece, but was tacked on by someone down the line.

This is not to say that this thing may or may not still be bitter or wounding or satirical or whatever, just that the text has been changed. Things that end up as folklore tend to do that.

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non vero, ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I was most offended by the fact that I took the time to read the wretched thing and didn't even get hard. And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!

--------------------
The salty fragrance of LEau DImNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll tell you how I take the ****ing remote line. One the one hand, darling Dan throws all this great sex with young hotties in Connie's face then finishes with his request for Connie to be his mommy, to find the remote he lost. Now there's some irony, sort of creepy irony at that.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!

That one is mine, all mine!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:
quote:
And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!

The line or the erection?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
quote:

How about both? I see no problem with that.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by terralioness:

It makes sense to me to hear that it was added on later because that part didn't really fit my interpretation as irony. I had formed my impression well before I read that line so I guess I ignored it. It would have been better without it IMHO.
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I found the remote line funny, simply due to the juxaposition. After all these offensive, outragous, probably false, things he's said, he closes with something as mundane as "Where's the remote?"

Then again, I have an odd sense of humor.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
quote:

The line, silly. The line that says the erection is lost. So I clearly can't have the erection. [Frown] [lol]

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frozen Charlotte
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Frozen Charlotte   E-mail Frozen Charlotte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
[QUOTE]

I don't think it's ironic at all. Dan's just an asshole.

Um, Mapleleaf , I think he prefers "cinnamon ring."
Posts: 64 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ertceps
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ertceps     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
You're newish to the board, ertceps, so you probably won't have heard of my "inappropriate capitalisation = bit of an arse" theory. Shame, really.

But, you know, thanks for pointing out to us what irony is. It's not like we're all well aware of how it works, or anything.

I will apologize for that one line
quote:
This is known as I-R-O-N-Y...look it up
I was being snarky when I said that...sorry

But as to your other point of everyone knowing it was irony I don't agree...there are too many pages of responses nitpicking the details of that letter when by it's very nature none of that matters in the least

He could just as well of written I want you back...blah blah blah*...please come home to me ...blah blah blah*...we can still make it work...blah blah blah*...and so on

*anything that is specifically designed to make sure his wife never comes back to him

This part the "blah blah blah" is only important in that it shows the actual intent of the letter is the opposite of what he says is the intent

After reading posts dissecting his peccadilloes as though they matter saying things like he says he bedded his wife's under aged sister therefore he must be a child molester and anyone who thinks that is funny must be one too or him describing parts of the ladies bodies in a degrading manner means he must be a misogynist an so must anyone who thinks that kind of joke funny and so on

Where exactly is the awareness of how irony works in this joke in the multitudes of posts going over the fictional letter written by a fictional husband with a microscope...if they really understood irony this would of been a two page thread at most

BTW In my first post in this thread I parodied this type of thread thinking I wouldn't have to bring up the fact of the joke being ironic and the offences some saw in the humor were put there purposely...not to offend but to make a point

BTW2 I do see after a more thorough reading of some of the posts later in this thread some did in fact understand the humor was meant to be ironic but I also note they were pretty much ignored with just a few exceptions

Posts: 100 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about half-way through catching up reading through this thread (I think it's going to take me a couple of runs at it, as there's only so much I can take in one go). I want to address this from an angle that I've not seen it addressed from yet (and if it has been on pages 6-8, then I apologise for my bad form in posting before I've read everything).

I think that some of what's been discussed here is censorship. What Ryda et. al (sorry to single you out, Ryda, but I'm going to quote you in a minute, and, anyway, I figure you for a tough cookie who can take it) seem to be saying is that the ideal would be a society in which the gender equality was such a part of the norm that such a joke as this wouldn't be written in the first place (although I doubt that'll ever happen as, no matter how enlightened a society becomes, there will always be trogladite arseholes, IMHO). That's fair enough, and is something that I agree with.

What worries me, however, is a statement like this (from Ryda, although she's not the only one that has expressed such sentiments - and I'm not just talking about this specific quote):

quote:
I can see how you would read it in that light, especially given current circumstances. However, that only illustrates why "humor" such as this is potentially damaging. Imagine it isn't wonderful, enlighted, rational you, but someone who'se grasp on gender relations isn't fully formed. Though they might read it as, on the first level, an individual battle, they'd also absorb, on another, the aggression towards women, the hatred of them when they have concerns other than their husband, and their real use as sex objects only. Fuel for the fire.
I think that this is a poor argument, and it is a pro-censorship argument. It's exactly the same argument that was used to ban "video nastys" back in the 80s. It's saying "it's okay for us to be exposed to such things, because we're clever and educated, but not for them, because they're stupid and uneducated".

I realise that that quote is half-joking, but it's also half-not. And I think that it's dangerous thinking. That you know what's good for people better than they do. That you know what's "safe" for them to see or read, because they're not intelligent enough to process it the way that you can.

I know that you're not calling for a ban of this joke or jokes like it, but I do think that this particular argument is flawed, because it does assume that an elite few are more capable of determaning the worth of something better than the majority are.

Hmmm, I might need to wake up a bit more before I can say that as coherently as I'd like, but I hope you can see the point that I'm trying to make.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Terralioness,

Way back in this thread I posted "The irony is that Dan thinks he has the high ground, but clearly is an asshole." (Note I did not say the moral high ground.) This sentance makes sense to me, but fair enough, I wrote it. So lets try again.

Dan thinks he is God's gift to women.
Dan thinks his wife is a fool to have left him and is missing all the "Dan-loving" action he has to offer.
Dan writes to his wife, but his intention is not to invite her back into his life, but to brag about his activities since she left, feeling confident that his Wife will be firmly put in her place, and possibly be consumed by guilt and jealousy for the rest of her life.

Now, here is the irony bit.

Dan has shown by writing his letter that he is an asshole, and has instead given his Wife all the help she needs (not saying she needed his help to do so btw) to walk away from the marriage gratefully and lead a far better life without him in it.

Is that clear enough?

The language then adds shock value, and makes it a laugh out loud funny joke. Again I said this way back in this thread.

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface
What worries me, however, is a statement like this (from Ryda, although she's not the only one that has expressed such sentiments - and I'm not just talking about this specific quote):

quote:I can see how you would read it in that light, especially given current circumstances. However, that only illustrates why "humor" such as this is potentially damaging. Imagine it isn't wonderful, enlighted, rational you, but someone who'se grasp on gender relations isn't fully formed. Though they might read it as, on the first level, an individual battle, they'd also absorb, on another, the aggression towards women, the hatred of them when they have concerns other than their husband, and their real use as sex objects only. Fuel for the fire.

I think that this is a poor argument, and it is a pro-censorship argument. It's exactly the same argument that was used to ban "video nastys" back in the 80s. It's saying "it's okay for us to be exposed to such things, because we're clever and educated, but not for them, because they're stupid and uneducated".

While I see where you're coming from with Ryda's slightly ill-advised "Won't Someone Think Of The Children" gambit, how is that any more elitist than all the people assuming that just because someone finds the OP dislikeable, they have no grasp of irony?

Furthermore, since neither Ryda, myself or indeed anyone is calling for this sort of dated stereotyping to be banned, the idea that it's pro-censorship is simply off-base.

It's the difference between "You shouldn't do that," and "You shouldn't be allowed to do that."

I'll put on record that while I loathe the sentiments expressed in the OP, I would defend to the death their right to express them.

Well, no I wouldn't. I'd sign a petition or something, or possibly write to my MP.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

quote:

I'll put on record that while I loathe the sentiments expressed in the OP, I would defend to the death their right to express them.

Well, no I wouldn't. I'd sign a petition or something, or possibly write to my MP.

[lol]

--------------------

Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh for goodness' sake! Why is it I can see humour even with jokes that involve gender. I and sick and tired of the PC mob always saying it's damaging or belittling. Trollface - you were coherent enough for me to see your point. I get the feeling there are individuals who won't be happy till we're all unisex in form and thought and they want to sanitise our shared language and everyone else;'s sense of humour so it fits their unisex worldview.

Perhaps those who constantly harp on about such humour being damaging have (a) had a sense of humour bypass, (b) take their own gender so seriously they are totally up their own fundament when it comes to jokes involving gender or (c) are maladjusted and uncomfortable with whatever gender they happen to be and therefore unusually sensitive to gender jokes. I was going to add (d) are USAnian since it does tend to be USAnians who can't cope with gender jokes, gender-related comments in the workplace and so on and so forth. Meanwhile the liberal minded Brits can distinguish between jokes and real life, sport parody and satire without the aid of emoticons, and see the funny side (the comment about the remote is a big NFBSKing clue and flips the entire joke back on the writer).

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
While I see where you're coming from with Ryda's slightly ill-advised "Won't Someone Think Of The Children" gambit, how is that any more elitist than all the people assuming that just because someone finds the OP dislikeable, they have no grasp of irony?

It's not. But, to be honest, I thought that Ryda et. al had already done an admirable job of squashing them, so needed no help from me.

quote:
Furthermore, since neither Ryda, myself or indeed anyone is calling for this sort of dated stereotyping to be banned, the idea that it's pro-censorship is simply off-base.
I didn't say that it was pro-censorship, merely that it was the same argument, and suffered from the same flaws.

Actually, re-reading my post, it could be taken to mean that I thought it was a pro-censorship argument (partly because I explicitly state that), but that's not what I meant. When I said "It is a pro-censorchip argument" I meant that it was the same argument, not that it was advocating the same thing. I did also say that I knew that nobody was calling for a banning.

That's what I meant when I said that I needed to be more awake before posting that, really. Can we wait until Christmas?

quote:
It's the difference between "You shouldn't do that," and "You shouldn't be allowed to do that."
I do wonder about this, too. I think that humour is a great way of talking about things that are uncomfortable. I often use 'Allo 'Allo as a good example of this. The things that the programme jokes about aren't funny in the slightest, but that doesn't make the programme itself unfunny. In fact, I think that it's a good, cathartic tool for a whole generation, and it helps us to process the ideas of WWII.

I think I have to agree with the idea that there shouldn't be such a thing as "taboo" when it comes to jokes. The example of The Aristocrats has already been mentioned, and this has been explored quite thoroughly in the "William Shatner roast" thread.

What I totally agree with that's been said is that jokes are part of the zeitgeist, and reflect society's views. I can say that I hear far fewer jokes about black people now than I did when I was a child. I'm sure that that's, in part, because I don't come in to contact with the same kind of cross-section of idiots that I went to school with, but I think that it's also a reflection of how British society has moved on since the 80s with regards to black people. Now I hear more "Paki" jokes. I'm sure that, in a decade or two, those will be much rarer.

I guess that a big part of what I'm saying is that jokes, like video nasties, don't create society, but instead reflect it. I don't think that this is 100% true. There is some give-and-take with the idea. However, I think that, on the whole, mysoganist (or whateverist) jokes are a symptom, rather than a cause.

--------------------

Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah
Oh for goodness' sake! Why is it I can see humour even with jokes that involve gender. I and sick and tired of the PC mob always saying it's damaging or belittling. Trollface - you were coherent enough for me to see your point. I get the feeling there are individuals who won't be happy till we're all unisex in form and thought and they want to sanitise our shared language and everyone else;'s sense of humour so it fits their unisex worldview.

Perhaps those who constantly harp on about such humour being damaging have (a) had a sense of humour bypass, (b) take their own gender so seriously they are totally up their own fundament when it comes to jokes involving gender or (c) are maladjusted and uncomfortable with whatever gender they happen to be and therefore unusually sensitive to gender jokes. I was going to add (d) are USAnian since it does tend to be USAnians who can't cope with gender jokes, gender-related comments in the workplace and so on and so forth. Meanwhile the liberal minded Brits can distinguish between jokes and real life, sport parody and satire without the aid of emoticons, and see the funny side (the comment about the remote is a big NFBSKing clue and flips the entire joke back on the writer).

My word.

Was that really necessary?

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
terralioness
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terralioness   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Geez, Dara, do you constantly have to harp on whether things are strictly "necessary" or not? You're such a typical American!

[Smile]

I'm off to class, but hopefully I'll be back later with a reply to some of the later posts in the thread.

terra "Any recommendations for a surgeon who specializes in humor bypasses?" lioness

--------------------
"I never liked Hemingway."
"I never liked you."

Posts: 543 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An American woman, at that.

Dara, did I ever mention how I think of you as the sister I never had?

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah:
Perhaps those who constantly harp on about such humour being damaging [snip]

Commenting on a joke in a single thread on a message board -- a thread that is about that joke -- is "constantly harping on"?

Maybe you know people who constantly harp on such things, but I don't encounter any, despite living in the US. In any case, "constantly harping" is not what the people in this thread are doing.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Llewtrah

My word.

Was that really necessary?

Lately, yes.

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages