snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » World's Best Divorce Letter (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: World's Best Divorce Letter
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by terralioness:
I'd ask the people who find it ironically funny ("He doesn't even know he's being a jackass!") to support their reading. I think it's pretty clear that this fictional narrator knows exactly how much of a jackass he's being.

I don't know how to support it; it just seems clear to me that it's satirical. Maybe it's because I've read novels with similar characters who were clearly intended to be satirical and/or the "bad guy"? The fact that he's so casual about his misogyny as he's self-reflecting and asking his ex to take him back seems like a good example of irony to me. (Especially the comments about her sister.) I think it's pretty clear that the man has no idea how much of a douchebag he is, since he writes that even as he's NFBSKing her sister, he's thinking of Connie and asks her to take him back. I don't think any character who was self-aware would consider that a good tactic. Since most men don't behave or think this way, and since his choice of phrases ("throat yogurt", "cinnamon ring") and description of events are extremely tasteless, I take it as a satire of a sleazebag.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snowy Chloe:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
Of course, one can't win at this game. If someone responds to a post from a woman, they are "attacking the women". If they DON'T respond, then they are "ignoring the women". [Roll Eyes]

Isn't it possible to envisage a response to a poster, female or otherwise, that is somewhere between an attack and an ignore?
Well, no matter what your intentions are, sometimes the person to whom you're responding will only see your post as an attack. That does make communication very difficult.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

I've been around here a while, and maybe I visit different threads than you do. But in the last few weeks, it seems like many threads are unnecessarily being turned into feminist rants and anyone who doesn't agree with Ryda or Sara at Home's feminist stance is attacked, ridiculed, or mocked by them.

I am hoping this is just a passing trend and that the board won't become dominated by feminist/anti-feminist issues. It's rather repetitive and tiresome because I know exactly what certain posters are going to say.

I have noticed the same thing, and frankly I agree, it is getting old.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Demonstrating rather neatly, Cervus, that intentions are not really the key.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:
In my interpretation, several of the posts in this thread seem to imply that finding the OP humourous is degrading to women (i.e. anti-feminist).

Well, the OP is sexist, finding it funny, IMHO, exposes a certain lack of sensitivity to gender issues.

Here's a series of jokes, taken from some folks back home (WARNING: OFFENSIVE CONTENT FOLLOWS)*************************************************

What's the difference between a black man and a pizza? A pizza can feed a family of four.

What's the difference between a jew and a pizza? A pizza doesn't cry when you put it in the oven.

END: OFFENSIVE CONTENT.

Now, the folks who were telling/listening to these jokes thought these were HILARIOUS.

Newsflash. They aren't. They're offensive. They're based on stupid stereotypes. THey're disgusting.

Now, the people laughing at these jokes weren't all racist, and I'm pretty sure none had much of a feeling about people of the Jewish faith one way or another. So, were they all racist pricks? Perhaps not. Does laughing at such a joke show insensitivity towards racial issues? UH, yeah.
Should someone point that out to them, Yeah. Which I did.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing this reminds me of is a conversation I had with my wife. She was upset because me and my cousin refer to wildly inappropriate things as being "awesome." The origin of that was from a deleted scene in the movie Old School. Mitch (Luke Wilson) is (rightly) upset that he slept with a 17 year old. He tells Beanie (Vince Vaughn) that he could go to jail for it. Beanie says, "For what? Being awesome?!" Well when we say somebody was being awesome we don't mean that the person was doing something we approve of or agree with. It actually means they did something so ridiculous that you can't believe any person would actually do it. Maurice Clarett driving around with an arsenal, a bulletproof vest and shooting at cops? That's being awesome right there.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hmm. evilrabbit, you seem to be suggesting that the world is divided into feminism and its enemies. Is this what you intended to do?

Hm. An interesting point. I suppose, using the most basic definition of "feminism," (a desire for political and social equality between the sexes), one would have to be on one side or the other. It would be hard to advocate neither equality or inequality ( except perhaps by lacking any opinion at all).
But this was not the point I intended to make...
I was addressing the way certain posts seemed to paint those who found the OP humourous. These posts (in my mind, at least) seem to accuse the OP of enforcing, encouraging or cementing unequal gender roles. Several times the OP was refered to as demeaning or objectifying women, and considered to be a way to keep women in oppressive roles. This would make the OP (and, as it seemed to me, anyone who was amused by it) in direct and active opposition to feminist thinking. Thus, "enemy of feminism."

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
Dibs on that for sig!
guru "if you please, Ryda?" wan2b

Of course! Enjoy

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
The fact that he's so casual about his misogyny as he's self-reflecting and asking his ex to take him back seems like a good example of irony to me.

But he's not. He's saying "Why would I take you back, you career-caring, slack-bodied, under-sexed old hag? You won't even let me f*** you whenever and wherever I want! Only thing you were good for was finding the f****** remote."

He was intending to shame and disconcert her, not to actually get her back.

And, considering the mention of the restraining order, the whole thing comes off very threatning and poisonious.

--------------------

Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand now.

If it has a penis, it is wrong. My bad. Didn't mean to be born with one - along with "Dan".

I re-read the OP... and laughed. I maintain that it was brilliantly written to depict just what has been discussed.

It saddens me that others can't see the humor.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It saddens me that you think you're kidding anyone.

Oh, and you still haven't explained how we've all made your point for you.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
~~~~guru looks confused~~~~
{whispers "We're supposed to hate the penis? If so I tender my resignation to Ryda's posse.}

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 15 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
I understand now.

If it has a penis, it is wrong. My bad. Didn't mean to be born with one - along with "Dan".

No one is saying that, as I'm sure you know.

quote:

I re-read the OP... and laughed. I maintain that it was brilliantly written to depict just what has been discussed.

It saddens me that others can't see the humor.

It saddens me that others can't see how that "humor" is demeaning towards women.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Originally posted by STF:
Mitch (Luke Wilson) is (rightly) upset that he slept with a 17 year old. He tells Beanie (Vince Vaughn) that he could go to jail for it. Beanie says, "For what? Being awesome?!" Well when we say somebody was being awesome we don't mean that the person was doing something we approve of or agree with. It actually means they did something so ridiculous that you can't believe any person would actually do it.

Right. Because trying to dodge age-of-consent laws isn't a regular thing. I don't even think I can count the number of men twice to three time older than me that tried to bed me when I was between 13 and 17. I'm sure pretty much every woman on this board has experienced that.

Kinda like in American Beauty, where he almost f**** his daughter's classmate, and stops only because he realizes she's a virgin. If she wasn't, it would've been fine and right for him to schtup her. Hell, some want them to be virgins. All that blood and innocence turns 'em on.

I can't believe that you would try to say that older men stupping teens is something "so ridiculous that you can't believe any person would actually do it." Dude. It's so common it dosen't even make the papers.

--------------------

Cervus

quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
quote:
The fact that he's so casual about his misogyny as he's self-reflecting and asking his ex to take him back seems like a good example of irony to me.

But he's not. He's saying "Why would I take you back, you career-caring, slack-bodied, under-sexed old hag? You won't even let me f*** you whenever and wherever I want! Only thing you were good for was finding the f****** remote."

He was intending to shame and disconcert her, not to actually get her back.

And, considering the mention of the restraining order, the whole thing comes off very threatning and poisonious.

To you, maybe, but not to me.

Unlike others, I will not accuse you, or anyone else, of having "no sense of humor". We just interpret the piece differently. And I think everyone should realize that everyone's interpretations and attitudes toward the OP are equally valid.

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Originally posted by guruwan2b:
~~~~guru looks confused~~~~
{whispers "We're supposed to hate the penis? If so I tender my resignation to Ryda's posse.}

NO. No one will take my penis away from me except its rightful owner. And if someone did, trust me, I'd find another one shortly.

Personally, I like the penis. I just don't like it when people behave like a dick.

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Unlike others, I will not accuse you, or anyone else, of having "no sense of humor". We just interpret the piece differently. And I think everyone should realize that everyone's interpretations and attitudes toward the OP are equally valid.

So, unlike me, you wouldn't have said something to the tellers of the racist jokes I posted above?

--------------------

STF

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Mitch (Luke Wilson) is (rightly) upset that he slept with a 17 year old. He tells Beanie (Vince Vaughn) that he could go to jail for it. Beanie says, "For what? Being awesome?!" Well when we say somebody was being awesome we don't mean that the person was doing something we approve of or agree with. It actually means they did something so ridiculous that you can't believe any person would actually do it.

Right. Because trying to dodge age-of-consent laws isn't a regular thing. I don't even think I can count the number of men twice to three time older than me that tried to bed me when I was between 13 and 17. I'm sure pretty much every woman on this board has experienced that.

Kinda like in American Beauty, where he almost f**** his daughter's classmate, and stops only because he realizes she's a virgin. If she wasn't, it would've been fine and right for him to schtup her. Hell, some want them to be virgins. All that blood and innocence turns 'em on.

I can't believe that you would try to say that older men stupping teens is something "so ridiculous that you can't believe any person would actually do it." Dude. It's so common it dosen't even make the papers.

I still maintain it's ridiculous to think it's OK due to my own morals. I don't mean it's ridiculous in that it never happens. Besides the ridiculous comment was more directed at the behavior we apply the "awesome" tag to.

BTW, it rarely happens, but I'm with Cervus on this one.

ETA: Some people just have a sick and wrong sense of humor that allows us to see the humor in dark things. Also some of us don't take ourselves as seriously as others (not a shot at anyone just a fact).

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

quote:
quote:

So, unlike me, you wouldn't have said something to the tellers of the racist jokes I posted above?
A lot more goes into that than just whether you think something is funny. Some people are more aggressive and willing to confront people who do wrong. Others are more passive and may let things go simply because they don't want to confront someone. They may well be disgusted by the behavior, but they may also not be willing to confront it.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Right. Because trying to dodge age-of-consent laws isn't a regular thing.
If he lives in an area (like my state) where the legal age is 16, then he isn't dodging the age-of-consent laws.

I will admit that I don't know what state Old School takes place in, but unless you know what state it is, how can you accuse him of Dodging the Age-of-consent laws?

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Personally, I like the penis. I just don't like it when people behave like a dick.

Okay, not my style (so I won't use it), but that would make a great sig. line.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

A lot more goes into that than just whether you think something is funny. Some people are more aggressive and willing to confront people who do wrong. Others are more passive and may let things go simply because they don't want to confront someone. They may well be disgusted by the behavior, but they may also not be willing to confront it.
I believe Ryda's argument, and indeed mine, is that those people are therefore condoning that which they object to and which disgusts them. Which makes them to some extent culpable for the perpetuation of that which they object to, and which disgusts them.

You know? All that is needed for evil to prevail and all that?

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I believe Ryda's argument, and indeed mine, is that those people are therefore condoning that which they object to and which disgusts them. Which makes them to some extent culpable for the perpetuation of that which they object to, and which disgusts them.

I agree with that to some extent, but I'm not willing to lump those who fail to confront in with those who are truly disgusting people. I'm just not. I respect that you two are, but I'm not willing to go that far. I think it tends to minimize how wrong the truly wrong are and demonize people that are good.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:
quote:

If he lives in an area (like my state) where the legal age is 16, then he isn't dodging the age-of-consent laws.

I will admit that I don't know what state Old School takes place in, but unless you know what state it is, how can you accuse him of Dodging the Age-of-consent laws?

If he is worried about going to jail, then either they live in a place where 18 is the age of consent or they think that is the age of consent. Either way, Beanie thinks that sleeping with a 17 year old is awesome even though (he thinks) it is a crime.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If he is worried about going to jail, then either they live in a place where 18 is the age of consent or they think that is the age of consent. Either way, Beanie thinks that sleeping with a 17 year old is awesome even though (he thinks) it is a crime.
True, which shows Beanie's moral compass is off to say the least. This is the basis for us using the term awesome in the opposite sense.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And that is a valid point. However, sometime I (personally) find concepts funny that I would never condone in real life. For example, I Occasionally watch South Park. Cartman hitting random animals on the head and yelling "Bad (animal)!" makes me laugh. If I saw you do this in real life, I would be appalled.

This letter is an example of "conceptually funny" - I find it funny because the author is demonstrating the absolute worst of behavior. If this was an actualy letter, I would not find it nearly so amusing.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

quote:
quote:

And that is a valid point. However, sometime I (personally) find concepts funny that I would never condone in real life. For example, I Occasionally watch South Park. Cartman hitting random animals on the head and yelling "Bad (animal)!" makes me laugh. If I saw you do this in real life, I would be appalled.

This letter is an example of "conceptually funny" - I find it funny because the author is demonstrating the absolute worst of behavior. If this was an actualy letter, I would not find it nearly so amusing.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. The Cartman example is a good one. It's funny watching him do that to animated animals. If someone did that to my dog I'd be pissed.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because he says he's afraid of going to jail?

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I still maintain it's ridiculous to think it's OK due to my own morals. I don't mean it's ridiculous in that it never happens. Besides the ridiculous comment was more directed at the behavior we apply the "awesome" tag to.
So, let me get this straight. Someone on a movie or in a joke or in some other text displays ridiculious behavior, which you would find immoral, and which may infact be illegal, and that is "awesome?" I mean, I'm willing to accept that, I just don't get it.
If you can't or don't care to, that's fine, but I'd love to know what makes it "awesome" (really. I'm not asking that sarcastically).

quote:

ETA: Some people just have a sick and wrong sense of humor that allows us to see the humor in dark things. Also some of us don't take ourselves as seriously as others (not a shot at anyone just a fact).

I adore dark comedy. I just don't adore boorish behavior. I think there's a difference. For example, the House of Yes is quite funny and very dark. It's also clever and it tackles a HIGHLY transgressive issue (namely sibling incest). Welcome to the Dollhouse and Storytelling and Hapiness are all films that can be quite hilarious, but, once again, they are very, very dark, and they tackle transgressive issues.

Sorry, but dark the OP is not. It's just devoid.

--------------------

STF

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, let me get this straight. Someone on a movie or in a joke or in some other text displays ridiculious behavior, which you would find immoral, and which may infact be illegal, and that is "awesome?" I mean, I'm willing to accept that, I just don't get it.
If you can't or don't care to, that's fine, but I'd love to know what makes it "awesome" (really. I'm not asking that sarcastically).

What makes it awesome is that it is in fact totally not awesome. It's a sarcastic way of saying, "What a dumbass!" and making it sound like a compliment. When I say that some athlete who says something totally ridiculous is "awesome" I'm just saying that he's being an idiot and so forth and so on. It's not really that much unlike the 80s when "bad" was good.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
STF, this sounds like a usage you and your cousin (?) came up with. Do you really expect it to be widely understood?

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
STF, this sounds like a usage you and your cousin (?) came up with. Do you really expect it to be widely understood?

No. Did I ever give the impression that I did?

ETA: That's why I explained it in the same post that I mentioned it.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsamboragal   Author's Homepage   E-mail rsamboragal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
[QB] 1) rsamboragal, While I may disagree with Ryda often, I must say that she has conducted herself decently in this thread, while you have decended even below the realm of personal insults to the point where you are trying to make fun of Ryda's offended-ness at the OP by saying
quote:
I'm offended by the use of the word chicken. I'm off to kick rocks.
Grow up.

????????? I was making fun of the entire ridiculousness of where the thread went. This is just nfbsking amazing how my words are being twisted. It had absolutely nothing to do with Ryda or anyone else on a personal level. If I was talking to Ryda, believe me, I would've prefaced my sentence with her name. Now, would everyone kindly get the nfbsk off my back? Thanks.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/azharleydiva

Posts: 65 | From: Goodyear, AZ | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
What makes it awesome is that it is in fact totally not awesome. It's a sarcastic way of saying, "What a dumbass!" and making it sound like a compliment. When I say that some athlete who says something totally ridiculous is "awesome" I'm just saying that he's being an idiot and so forth and so on. It's not really that much unlike the 80s when "bad" was good.

So, awesome actually means "what a disgusting waste of flesh" in your parlance. And you use this so often that even your wife doesn't realize that connotation?

Nevermind. Got it. Awesome means totally sucky and genius means brainless.

OK. Now that we have this solved....

--------------------

Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by evilrabbit:
Hmm. evilrabbit, you seem to be suggesting that the world is divided into feminism and its enemies. Is this what you intended to do?

quote:
Hm. An interesting point. I suppose, using the most basic definition of "feminism," (a desire for political and social equality between the sexes), one would have to be on one side or the other. It would be hard to advocate neither equality or inequality ( except perhaps by lacking any opinion at all).
Those aren't the options, though. Imagine the following: I bypass Hooters on my work to work, ergo I am a feminist. Yay! But I buy my niece Barbie pyjamas on the way home. Ergo, I am an enemy of feminism. Boo! How silly is that?

Life isn't that simple. Some decisions, attitudes, terms, etc. perpetuate the patriarchy. Others help to question it. My problem with your interpretation that Ryda is saying that anyone who finds the joke funny is "an enemy of feminism" (your phrase, btw), is that it is a massive and distorting over-simplification of a nuanced and well-considered opinion.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages