snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » World's Best Divorce Letter (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: World's Best Divorce Letter
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
I have to agree - and disagree at the same time : of course it's conservative, retro, male-chauvinistic and whatever... but as it goes against everything I've been taught, I find it quite transgressive - and hence, funny.

Those things aren't transgressive, at least here. They're very much in play in the culture, and a major force. They masquerade as transgressive, "Look at us naughty boys and how we degrade women. TeeHee." However, they're just the same old opinion, like, as I said, the racist and anti-immigrant jokes.

I'm quite serious in asking if you also find those funny and transgressive?

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Plague of Nonny:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
It's not that difficult to understand why; it's to do with the usual balance of power.

Strong group making fun of weak group: Nasty, mean-spirited and has all sorts of unpleasant bullying overtones.

Weak group making fun of strong group: Venting, rebalancing power, subverting stereotypes.

Basically, making fun of somebody can remove some of their power and give it to you. If you've already got the power then you don't need more, and you should find it easier to deal with some loss.

Like I said, I assumed this was fairly basic but it's odd how often people don't get it.

Double standards are not a good thing no matter how you want to rationalize them.

Nonny

No, they absolutly are not, because they cement the idea of group difference. However, one is a bit less harmful than the other.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But this is not a double standard. At one point Signora was using Anatole France in her sigfile: "How noble the law, in its majestic equality, that both the rich and poor are equally prohibited from peeing in the streets, sleeping under bridges, and stealing bread!" Sometimes, equality does not mean applying the exact same rules to everyone, regardless of history and circumstance.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
quote:
Double standards are not a good thing no matter how you want to rationalize them.

Nonny

No, they absolutly are not, because they cement the idea of group difference. However, one is a bit less harmful than the other.
In the case where the groups are "men" and "women", I agree. But I don't think it's inherently a double-standard.

For example (in the US deep south in the past) the Ku Klux Klan making fun of black people, against black people making fun of the Ku Klux Klan.

These days, the Ku Klux Klan almost certainly does have less social and political power in the USA than "black people" but it's still OK to take the piss out of the KKK because they shouldn't have any power at all.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn’t there something to be said of “picking one’s battles,” though? Of course, it’s a woman’s prerogative to quash that which chords any resonance of her second-class-status (an imposition your gender has known since the dawn of the Bronze Age, ferchrissake). But is there much significance to be found in a piece of SPAM worthy of intense discourse? More importantly, are there many people who find comedy in its contents post-first-read who would care to enter into such an arena of discussion?

I’m reminded of a “Public Service Announcement” performance piece that feminist artist, Laurie Anderson, once played: The Economy of Protest.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
Isn’t there something to be said of “picking one’s battles,” though?

One's own battles, yes. It's the attempt to pick other people's battles to which some of us object.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snowy Chloe:
But this is not a double standard. At one point Signora was using Anatole France in her sigfile: "How noble the law, in its majestic equality, that both the rich and poor are equally prohibited from peeing in the streets, sleeping under bridges, and stealing bread!" Sometimes, equality does not mean applying the exact same rules to everyone, regardless of history and circumstance.

But would you consider it okay to make the rich sleep under bridges in the name of equality?

It seems to me that trying to raise the weaker group up by tearing the stronger group down is an inherently flawed approach if equality's the ultimate goal. It's not okay or even smart to stereotype men as stupid sexist pig-dogs at the same time as we're trying to create a world where the average man is a decent caring guy who sees women as his equals and his female partners as partners in truth. We need to portray that decent guy as what men are expected to be in the same way as we want to portray smart independent women in control of their own lives as what women are expected to be.

The goal of feminism is not, after all, to create a matriarchy in which men are looked down upon as less than fully human, which is where we could very well wind up a few generations down the line if we reverse the double standards rather than just eliminating them.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Snowy Chloe:

But would you consider it okay to make the rich sleep under bridges in the name of equality?

It seems to me that trying to raise the weaker group up by tearing the stronger group down is an inherently flawed approach if equality's the ultimate goal. It's not okay or even smart to stereotype men as stupid sexist pig-dogs at the same time as we're trying to create a world where the average man is a decent caring guy who sees women as his equals and his female partners as partners in truth. We need to portray that decent guy as what men are expected to be in the same way as we want to portray smart independent women in control of their own lives as what women are expected to be.

The goal of feminism is not, after all, to create a matriarchy in which men are looked down upon as less than fully human, which is where we could very well wind up a few generations down the line if we reverse the double standards rather than just eliminating them.

Nonny

*applauds*

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
It's not that difficult to understand why; it's to do with the usual balance of power.

Strong group making fun of weak group: Nasty, mean-spirited and has all sorts of unpleasant bullying overtones.

Weak group making fun of strong group: Venting, rebalancing power, subverting stereotypes.

Basically, making fun of somebody can remove some of their power and give it to you. If you've already got the power then you don't need more, and you should find it easier to deal with some loss.

Like I said, I assumed this was fairly basic but it's odd how often people don't get it.

If this was a few lines shorter I'd be asking permission to use it as my sig. Very well said indeed!

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsamboragal   Author's Homepage   E-mail rsamboragal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
quote:
Originally posted by rsamboragal:
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:

And while you're at it, quote the part where Ryda insulted someone.

Okay. How about here:

"Ryda "no wonder people say americans are stupid. They're right" Wong

ETB: I just realized you're a brit. Guess things don't improve across the pond."

She called all Americans and Brits stupid in one fell swoop! Pretty impressive.

And this compares to the nasty stuff you wrote to Lainie and your hits at Ryda positively or negatively?
You lost me. I have no idea what you're even talking about.
First of all, I never wrote anything nasty to Lainie, nor have I taken any "hits" at Ryda. It was my understanding that we were debating the OP. I do believe Ryda was the only one engaged in name calling and I have merely questioned her claim of being offended by the OP when her signature makes me think that she is perhaps thicker skinned than the way she has presented herself throughout this discussion.
Second, at what point did you feel that I was addressing you? Neither Lainie nor Ryda have even commented on anything I've said. I fail to see at what point you were invited into attack ME about things that were not even directed to you. Your snarky off handed comments are not even adding anything to the debate. When you have something relevant and intelligent to contribute, by all means, continue. In the meantime, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person, thank you very much.

--------------------
www.myspace.com/azharleydiva

Posts: 65 | From: Goodyear, AZ | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Second, at what point did you feel that I was addressing you? Neither Lainie nor Ryda have even commented on anything I've said. I fail to see at what point you were invited into attack ME about things that were not even directed to you. Your snarky off handed comments are not even adding anything to the debate. When you have something relevant and intelligent to contribute, by all means, continue. In the meantime, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person, thank you very much.

You really are a delight.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Second, at what point did you feel that I was addressing you? Neither Lainie nor Ryda have even commented on anything I've said. I fail to see at what point you were invited into attack ME about things that were not even directed to you.

This is a message board, not a private conversation. Any comment by any poster is fair game for response or comment from any other poster. I don't believe Sara was attacking you, but in any case, she needs no invitation.

And actually, I did respond to your comments directed at me.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsamboragal   Author's Homepage   E-mail rsamboragal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
By the way, wouldn't life be more fun if you weren't constantly looking for people who are out to get you by saying something that might be remotely offensive?

I'm enjoying my life quite nicely, thank you.

ETA: Being offended by something does not necessarily indicate that one takes it personally. Is that really such a difficult concept to understand? And Ryda has as much right to be offended by the joke as you do to find it funny.

I guess I need to start every one of my posts with the name of the person I am speaking to. The quote of mine that you used, Lainie was directed at Sara who, to me, comes off as being up in arms and all out defensive about everything that has ever been said or written since the beginning of time. (or at least since the beginning of this thread.) Take a look at her posts. Apparently, she's out to save the world from itself whether she's been asked to or not.
And, Lainie, I agree with the what you said about being offended vs taking it personally. It's just that the tone of Ryda's posts made me feel as if she was just completely shocked and outraged that someone would have the audacity to write such trash. The vehement way she described her intense dislike for anyone who thought the letter was funny led me to believe that she was taking it waaaaaay to seriously. Of course she has the right to decide what she thinks is funny and what isn't. That wasn't even a question. I was merely pointing out that it seemed like she needed to take it down a notch because the letter had nothing to do with her personally. How this whole thing got this out of hand is beyone me...

--------------------

Posts: 65 | From: Goodyear, AZ | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
I do believe Ryda was the only one engaged in name calling and I have merely questioned her claim of being offended by the OP when her signature makes me think that she is perhaps thicker skinned than the way she has presented herself throughout this discussion.

A. Irony. Turn-about = fair play, right? I mean, it's apparently quite funny to insult a group, genius even.

B. Why would my sig make you question my perspective on gender politics? It was a question asked by a member of the board in another thread. It's randomness is its appeal. It does not stereotype women as a whole, nor does it comment on Lohan as an individual.

C. Calling me thin-skinned is, well, quite laughable. I'm anything but thin-skinned. Now, I have been accused quite often of being overly analytical and not taking things on face value. And I never said I found the post to be offensive as such. I had grave ideological problems with it. Offensive implies that I have a stick up my bum, which I, currently, do not. I can't promise anything about later tonight though.

quote:
Your snarky off handed comments are not even adding anything to the debate. When you have something relevant and intelligent to contribute, by all means, continue. In the meantime, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person, thank you very much.

Alright snopes-conscience people, attack! C'mon. Oh, I know, it's all my fault, but if you nip this in the bud, perhaps you can avoid further problems. And, for the record, rsamboragal, if you're gonna be snarky and a name-caller, can you please be creative about it? I mean the whole battle of wits with the unarmed person thing? So 1980s.

ETB: Formatting problems.

--------------------

rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

"Snopes conscious people attack?" Grow up. Don't let my post count fool you. I've been coming here off and on for 10 years and have yet to be "attacked" by anyone until this moment by you, Christy, and Lainie all within the span of 3 days.

--------------------

nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 202 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
*SNIP* In the meantime, I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person, thank you very much.

[lol] Perhaps that is why Lainie and Ryda are not responding much to you. I'm afraid you, Richie Sambora gal, may be very much unarmed.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
And, Lainie, I agree with the what you said about being offended vs taking it personally. It's just that the tone of Ryda's posts made me feel as if she was just completely shocked and outraged that someone would have the audacity to write such trash.

Right. me. Never heard something like that. Never, ever, ever. All those years of academia combined with the trailer park, and I've never run across sexist writing before. Never.
quote:

The vehement way she described her intense dislike for anyone who thought the letter was funny led me to believe that she was taking it waaaaaay to seriously.

See, and the reason why that is, well, I get really tired of people thinking that insulting and using women is funny. Geeze. I guess I should lighten up with that, right? Sure, Mr. Mid-Life-Crisis, you have every right to treat every woman as a recepticle for a pint of "throat yogurt" and to be offended that your wife doesn't drop her life and career so that you may be sexually serviced however and whenever you want. It's FUNNY when you do that. Ha-ha, ha-ha, [fish]
quote:

Of course she has the right to decide what she thinks is funny and what isn't. That wasn't even a question. I was merely pointing out that it seemed like she needed to take it down a notch because the letter had nothing to do with her personally. How this whole thing got this out of hand is beyone me...

Possibly because you're telling me I need to take it down a notch? None of your freakin' business how far and with what anger I take things. When we have a culture in which gender relations aren't so f'ed-up, then you can tell me to calm down. Maybe.

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
"Snopes conscious people attack?" Grow up. Don't let my post count fool you. I've been coming here off and on for 10 years and have yet to be "attacked" by anyone until this moment by you, Christy, and Lainie all within the span of 3 days.

Wasn't directed at you. Was actually a snark directed at MYSELF. Again, you speak of something of which you know nothing.

--------------------

Lainie

quote:
quote:
quote:
By the way, wouldn't life be more fun if you weren't constantly looking for people who are out to get you by saying something that might be remotely offensive?

ETA: Being offended by something does not necessarily indicate that one takes it personally. Is that really such a difficult concept to understand? And Ryda has as much right to be offended by the joke as you do to find it funny.

I guess I need to start every one of my posts with the name of the person I am speaking to. The quote of mine that you used, Lainie was directed at Sara
Ah, I see where the confusion came in. You started that post with a quote of my post, and a response to that, then switched to speaking to Sara. I would suggest one of two approaches: either start the second part of the post with Sara's name in boldface, or learn to quote more than one post, including the response to each one directly after the quote. You may have noticed other posters using one or more of those techniques. If you need help using the UBB code, feel free to PM me with questions.

quote:
who, to me, comes off as being up in arms and all out defensive about everything that has ever been said or written since the beginning of time. (or at least since the beginning of this thread.) Take a look at her posts. Apparently, she's out to save the world from itself whether she's been asked to or not.
I've been reading Sara's posts for about 13 months now, and I agree with most of them, so our mileage varies on this point.

quote:
And, Lainie, I agree with the what you said about being offended vs taking it personally. It's just that the tone of Ryda's posts made me feel as if she was just completely shocked and outraged that someone would have the audacity to write such trash. The vehement way she described her intense dislike for anyone who thought the letter was funny led me to believe that she was taking it waaaaaay to seriously. Of course she has the right to decide what she thinks is funny and what isn't. That wasn't even a question. I was merely pointing out that it seemed like she needed to take it down a notch because the letter had nothing to do with her personally. How this whole thing got this out of hand is beyone me...
Have you ever been in the position of being told to "take it down a notch," or "calm down," when discussing things about which you feel passionate? I have, many times, and I can tell that however well-intentioned such comments may be, when you're on the receiving end, they feel very, very condescending.

Not only do we each have the right to decide what is and isn't funny, we each have the right to decide how seriously we will take things.

And IIRC, Ryda's original comment was simply that callling that particular piece of trash "genius" reflected a low standard for genius. I have to agree.

--------------------

Lainie

quote:

Ryda said "conscience," not "conscious." Different word, different meaning.

And you forgot Sara. She "attacked" you, too. [fish]

--------------------

rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

I understand that it's a big bad ugly world out there full of gender bias. I fail to see, however, how laughing at this letter promotes that...or how finding it funny makes me or anyone else less intelligent than you.

Seeing as how you and your posse have taken an offhanded comment of "Lighten up" as a personal attack, perhaps I am in the wrong. So, I apologize for ever saying or insinuating or thinking or writing anything that would ever be construed as a personal attack on you, your family, any member of the board, or anyone in the society in which we live. Since you took my friendly offhanded comment as an insult, I will certainly refrain from commenting on anything you or your little friends might say in the future for fear of being personally attacked to the point where I am wondering what in the hell ever possessed me to get back on here after years of being away in the first place.

--------------------

rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
quote:

Ryda said "conscience," not "conscious." Different word, different meaning.

And you forgot Sara. She "attacked" you, too. [fish]

Are you quite finished now?

--------------------

rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
quote:

Wasn't directed at you. Was actually a snark directed at MYSELF. Again, you speak of something of which you know nothing.
Um yeah, okay. That's like when my 5 year old says he wasn't sticking his tongue out at me. He was licking his lips. Nice try though.

--------------------

Lainie

quote:
Since you took my friendly offhanded comment as an insult, I will certainly refrain from commenting on anything you or your little friends might say in the future for fear of being personally attacked to the point where I am wondering what in the hell ever possessed me to get back on here after years of being away in the first place.
Oh, take it down a notch. You're taking our comments way too seriously. It's just a message board.

It. Isn't. Real. Life.

See how that can be a trifle condescending?

ETA: It's considered good form to indicate when you have edited your posts.

--------------------

rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb] By the way, wouldn't life be more fun if you weren't constantly looking for people who are out to get you by saying something that might be remotely offensive?

I guess I need to start every one of my posts with the name of the person I am speaking to. The quote of mine that you used, Lainie was directed at Sara

Ah, I see where the confusion came in. You started that post with a quote of my post, and a response to that, then switched to speaking to Sara. I would suggest one of two approaches: either start the second part of the post with Sara's name in boldface, or learn to quote more than one post, including the response to each one directly after the quote. You may have noticed other posters using one or more of those techniques. If you need help using the UBB code, feel free to PM me with questions.
It's really not necessary to talk to me like that. Summing it up as a simple miscommunication would be sufficient.

quote:
Have you ever been in the position of being told to "take it down a notch," or "calm down," when discussing things about which you feel passionate? I have, many times, and I can tell that however well-intentioned such comments may be, when you're on the receiving end, they feel very, very condescending.

I'll agree with that. I apologize if that's the way it came off. It wasn't intended that way. Unfortunately, because this is written it is impossible to hear tone or see the wink and smile that goes with the comment...
quote:
Not only do we each have the right to decide what is and isn't funny, we each have the right to decide how seriously we will take things.

Agreed.

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Um yeah, okay. That's like when my 5 year old says he wasn't sticking his tongue out at me. He was licking his lips. Nice try though.
No. Seriously. I've had my ass reamed the past few days for my board behavior (some of said reaming I deserved. The seventeen year old death wish thread was a bad, bad deed on my part). It really was aimed at me....Nevermind. If you want proof here's one of the threads Linky

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:

Seeing as how you and your posse have taken an offhanded comment of "Lighten up" as a personal attack, perhaps I am in the wrong.

Dude. I have a posse. Freakin' SWEET! I've always wanted a posse of my own.

quote:
Since you took my friendly offhanded comment as an insult, I will certainly refrain from commenting on anything you or your little friends might say in the future for fear of being personally attacked to the point where I am wondering what in the hell ever possessed me to get back on here after years of being away in the first place.

Oh...Wait...my posse is composed of "little" friends. I want big friends in my posse. Wah.

NEWay. Ummm. See. Here's the thing. Some of us are getting really tired of being told that we "overinterpret" or that we "read too much into things" or that we "can't take a joke," etc., when we have logical, valid objections to something. You may also see This Thread for context.

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb] By the way, wouldn't life be more fun if you weren't constantly looking for people who are out to get you by saying something that might be remotely offensive?

It's really not necessary to talk to me like that. Summing it up as a simple miscommunication would be sufficient.

Uhhh, dude? Lanie was being genuine. Seriously. Alot of folks don't really know how to use the UBB code, so she was offering help.

--------------------

Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You lost me. I have no idea what you're even talking about.
First of all, I never wrote anything nasty to Lainie, nor have I taken any "hits" at Ryda. It was my understanding that we were debating the OP. I do believe Ryda was the only one engaged in name calling and I have merely questioned her claim of being offended by the OP when her signature makes me think that she is perhaps thicker skinned than the way she has presented herself throughout this discussion.

Nah. I'm not even going to bother.......

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

rsamboragal, I wasn't trying to talk down to you. When I wrote that post, I was unaware of your long history here, and I was attempting to help someone I thought was new here.

--------------------

rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No. Seriously. I've had my ass reamed the past few days for my board behavior (some of said reaming I deserved. The seventeen year old death wish thread was a bad, bad deed on my part). It really was aimed at me....Nevermind. If you want proof here's one of the threads Linky
Already read that. I don't see what you're talking about and frankly I'm tired of this whole thing. My point has been made. If I offended you because you took it as an attack, I apologize. I am, however, rather dumbstruck at the people who jumped in to attack ME when I, as far as I was concerned, was simply having a disagreement with someone. All I can say to that is [Roll Eyes] Have a great rest of the day, Ryda.

--------------------

rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Uhhh, dude? Lanie was being genuine. Seriously. Alot of folks don't really know how to use the UBB code, so she was offering help.
See how comment minus tone equals misunderstanding?

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Already read that. I don't see what you're talking about and frankly I'm tired of this whole thing. My point has been made. If I offended you because you took it as an attack, I apologize. I am, however, rather dumbstruck at the people who jumped in to attack ME when I, as far as I was concerned, was simply having a disagreement with someone. All I can say to that is [Roll Eyes] Have a great rest of the day, Ryda.

Sigh. I was calling the snopes conscience people to attack because I wasn't the only one using insults. Really, it had nothing to do with you, whatsoever.

If your point has been made, I have no idea what it is, other than that you get het up when people analyze things, and when people call you on crappy behavior. It isn't a rare thing. See, if you had actually disagreed (i.e. addressed my analysis rather than pulling the "It's just a joke" card), no posse would have appeared. That isn't what you did.

--------------------

rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

? People call me on crappy behavior? See, this is where I get lost. If what you're speaking of is the fact that you took my "lighten up" comment as being anything but offhanded, then I already apologized for that. Other than that all I see is me getting attacked.
My point was that it wasn't anything, in my opinion, to get all frazzled about. You disagree. I get that.

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
rsamboragal, since you've been away for a while, may I not-snarkily suggest you revew the FAQ? I'm thinking of Rule 3 in particular.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages