snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » World's Best Divorce Letter (Page 12)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: World's Best Divorce Letter
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snowy Chloe:
CAPITALIZING WHOLE CHUNKS OF POST IS OFTEN SEEN AS SHOUTING RATHER THAN EMPHASIZING.

I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Can you repeat it? [Razz]

I find capitalization to be annoying, too. But I'm an editor, so I would. Italics or underscore work just as well, and aren't so ... well, contrary to the rules of grammar.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
EDITED: to replace "see" with "say."

Say what you see, say what you see.

Little chance of an American getting that reference.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
quote:
Originally posted by STF:
EDITED: to replace "see" with "say."

Say what you see, say what you see.

Little chance of an American getting that reference.

What's Mr. Chips doing?

Greatest TV moment ever.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant.

Or, in this thread, should I say "Genius!"

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aside from the fact that capitalisation does look like shouting when written down, lower case text is also designed for readability. All capitalised text is harder to read. Italics generally get the trick donw, but on text files where only plan text can be used, using _underscores_ or *asterisks* can be acceptable ways of emphasis.

I'll see where that form of emphasis puts you on the Dara Arseometer.

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cannot believe that I just read through all 12 pages. No, wait, I can believe that. What I can't believe is that I'm somehow silly enough to attempt a reply.

Warning! I'm well-known as 'that chick that doesn't always make sense'!

quote:
Nobody really bought that, really. You were just covering your arse, I reckon, though of course I can't speak for anyone else. Be that as it may, just because you acclaim something else as genius, it neither automatically validates nor invalidates your previous acclaim for genius. It's a non-issue.
Dara said this in reply to Alfred's interpretation of the joke. Now, I am *not* trying to be insulting to anyone or anyone's opinion, but I do find myself wondering... Dara, you seemed so certain that Alfred was laughing at the OP because of some hidden sexist reason, and was only using the irony comment to cover his arse. It seemed to me that you singled him out of the irony crew as the only one who was 'covering his arse' and it almost seems like you were doing it because he's a he. Cervus had, more or less, the same opinion, and I don't recall you saying anything along those lines to her. Before I move on, I'd like to point out: I just read through 12 pages of this, so it's possible I missed something, and I want to make it clear that this is just something that struck me, and not something I'm touting as fact.

The OP is... well, it's very silly, and not overly funny, but I didn't think it at all possible to get so het up about such a little thing. When I started reading the thread I was so incensed at those who were making this into some serious issue, but at this point I've come to think that the issue isn't and never really was the OP. I think the issue is the right that someone has to an opinion; why they have that opinion; and what their right to disseminate that opinion is. As far as the OP itself...

quote:
We are (all of us) the butt of this joke. It fails to work at so many levels...
Truer words have never been spoken...

Dragon's "Can you tell that I'm supposed to be taking a test?" Jewel

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon's Jewel:
at this point I've come to think that the issue isn't and never really was the OP. I think the issue is the right that someone has to an opinion; why they have that opinion; and what their right to disseminate that opinion is.

Then you missed the issue. Thanks for playing. Please try again.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Nobody really bought that, really. You were just covering your arse, I reckon, though of course I can't speak for anyone else. Be that as it may, just because you acclaim something else as genius, it neither automatically validates nor invalidates your previous acclaim for genius. It's a non-issue.
Dara said this in reply to Alfred's interpretation of the joke.
No I didn't. I said it in reply to FoA's reference to his subsequent acclaim of an entirely different joke, guru's reply letter to Dan from Connie. So therefore I hadn't singled him out from the irony crew as the only one who was "covering his arse," since it wasn't his irony argument that I considered to be "covering his arse," it was his acclaim of guru's reply. In retrospect, however, that may have been unfair.

Perhaps the reason I may have seemed to be targeting FoA was because we had already started a back-and-forth debate before that, as often happens in these sort of threads. One might as well accuse him of targeting me, since many of his posts were primarily addressed at me.

Glad I could straighten that out for you.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dara: Thanks!
Ryda: Just my opinion. 'Sides I had important things that I was avoiding.

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cariad
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cariad   E-mail Cariad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
quote:
at this point I've come to think that the issue isn't and never really was the OP. I think the issue is the right that someone has to an opinion; why they have that opinion; and what their right to disseminate that opinion is.

Then you missed the issue. Thanks for playing. Please try again.
So when determining the "real" issue, I should check in with... Ryda? Dara? (No need to answer, don't waste your time - or do, you're entitled to your opinion) Seriously - no sarcasm intended.

I agree with Dragon's Jewel - at least for now. When you're new here and read a thread this long from start to finish, the issue is clear - that we all have a right to our opinions...

When you've been used to "debating" topics here for so long... well, it seems (that means it's my opinion) you think the issue is... the topic. I think it may have started out that way. However, this amount of discussion, sensitivity, trying to prove others wrong, blah blah blah is ridiculous (to me). So now, it's about our rights to our opinions - TO ME - cuz I said so. [Smile]

--------------------
Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Suess

Posts: 14 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SatansHobbit:
It's right next to your pack of condoms, you bullsh*tting bastard

Love, Connie

This guy had the right idea. Don't you think it would have been a lot more fun to post humorous responses than to get into a gigantic argument over nothing?

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's most fun to decide what other people find more fun.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Friends of Alfred:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
quote:
Originally posted by Friends of Alfred:
I'm saying that I do not equate the behaviour in the op with real life, and as such do not think that this displays insesitivity to gender issues.

And here's the crux. The fact that you do not equate this behavior with real life displays, in and of itself, insensitivity to gender issuses.
Um, no it doesn't. You may label me as insensitive to gender issues because I found a joke funny, but this is just your opinion, (which you are entitled to) and I disagree.

However, I'm clearly not going to change your mind, so go ahead and file me in the Mysoginistc Arsehole cabinet if that makes you happy. I dare say I'll get over it.

Well maybe I should join you in there. Seems like the world out here is far too uptight. I'm female and I have something called a sense of humour. I found it amusing. If it was used in real life then it would be insulting or belittling.

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
quote:

quote:
Dara said this in reply to Alfred's interpretation of the joke.
No I didn't. I said it in reply to FoA's reference to his subsequent acclaim of an entirely different joke, guru's reply letter to Dan from Connie. So therefore I hadn't singled him out from the irony crew as the only one who was "covering his arse," since it wasn't his irony argument that I considered to be "covering his arse," it was his acclaim of guru's reply. In retrospect, however, that may have been unfair.

Perhaps the reason I may have seemed to be targeting FoA was because we had already started a back-and-forth debate before that, as often happens in these sort of threads. One might as well accuse him of targeting me, since many of his posts were primarily addressed at me.

Glad I could straighten that out for you.

You know, I completely missed that Dara. I thought we were still discussing the original OP. My "acclaim" of Guru's joke was meant partly in humour (becuase it made me grin when I thought of it), and partly as a "salute" to those on the board that feel that to enjoy the OP implys that you must be a sexist pig. I was curious to see if anybody was prepared to step up and admit that that might not be the case.

Sadly, nobody did.

Still, thoroughly enjoyed the dabate with you, as always [Smile]

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages