snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Leg/pubic shaving origins (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Leg/pubic shaving origins
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
The disturbing (to me, at least) trend I've noticed lately is girls in their teens and early 20's now shave their arms. Not armPITS ... their arms, from wrist to above the elbow.

Now come on, like I haven't got enough body parts already that society has deemed shall be hairless. Like shaving doesn't already take up way too much time IMHO. My arms are fuzzy, GDI, and they're going to stay that way.

I don't know any girls that do this, but I do know a couple of men that do. I went to high school with a guy who one day decided to shave his arms. He was quite angry with himelf when he realized he now had to keep doing that.

My (male) boss does that as well. I can't figure out his reasoning...he shaves his legs as well. Strange man...

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
people say, "Once you start, you can't stop" in regard to shaving.

My grandmother believed this. She literally (I counted) had three hairs on each leg. She thought all women were made this way and that leg hairs wouldn't grow if you didn't scrape your skin with a razor. But since I inherited her son's legs instead of hers, I ignored her advice.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae:
I went to high school with a guy who one day decided to shave his arms. He was quite angry with himelf when he realized he now had to keep doing that.

What do you mean, he "had" to keep doing it?

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I shaved my arms when I was 10, just because I was kind of curious about the whole shaving thing. I've also shaved small areas before applying henna. All the hair on my arms is light colored and even, with no longer/darker patches anywhere. I'm also curious as to why the guy Elphaba went to HS with thought he "had to" keep shaving.

I friend of my cousin (FoaC?) once shaved off her eyebrows, though, and a year later they still hadn't all grown back in. They looked thin, but not abnormal. A friend of mine was also irritated because her stylist did her eyebrows and plucked the narrow ends too short and they haven't regrown. Are eyebrows different than other body hair?

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:
I friend of my cousin (FoaC?) once shaved off her eyebrows, though, and a year later they still hadn't all grown back in. They looked thin, but not abnormal. A friend of mine was also irritated because her stylist did her eyebrows and plucked the narrow ends too short and they haven't regrown. Are eyebrows different than other body hair?

I think it depends on the person. I've heard of some people who had eyebrows shaved (either by choice or against their will while they slept) or had a scar there; the eyebrows never really grew back the same and it was obvious.

I, on the other hand, cannot control my bushy eyebrows. The hairs all grow in random directions and no amount of brushing, plucking, or shaving will make them look "normal". But fortunately they're blonde (such a light shade of blonde that people are compelled to comment on them) and the frames of my glasses tend to disguise the fact that my eyebrow hairs all grow in different directions.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the info, all. But, Elphaba, what you said about your male friend who "had" to keep shaving his arms sort of contradicts that, doesn't it?

I also wax my arms--have been doing so for about five years now. I just think it looks better, cleaner. And smooth, oh so smooth.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can sort of understand why some people shave their arms. It can look rather odd when a woman has very dark, long hair on her arms. I guess I lucked out there because you can barely see my dark blonde arm hair, except in the light (it has gold shiny highlights like my hair, heh.) My arms and head have dark blond or light brown hair, but my eyebrows are pretty much black as is my leg hair unfortunately... I guess maybe that's part of the reason why a lot of people ask me if I dye my hair (because my eyebrows are so dark.) Well, that and the fact that I often have darker roots or stripes in my hair due to it lightening so much from the sun in the summer...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   E-mail Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus nippon:
quote:
Originally posted by Elphaba Fabala Elphie Fae:
I went to high school with a guy who one day decided to shave his arms. He was quite angry with himelf when he realized he now had to keep doing that.

What do you mean, he "had" to keep doing it?
Once the hair started growing back, it was prickly, unlike the soft hair that had been there pre-shave. He could never stand the prickliness long enough to let it grow all the way back, so he was stuck with it.

--------------------
The Wicked Witch of the West was FRAMED!

Posts: 201 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Most shaved hair is prickly when it grows back in. After a while, though, it smoothes out as it gets longer - at least mine does. I suppose if you can't stand having prickly hairs for a temporary period, you shouldn't shave at all.

--------------------

Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NeeCD:

Plucking is different than shaving, though. In the latter case, you're just cutting the hair at the skin's surface; in the former, you're actually yanking it out by the root. I could see how that kind of trauma, especially when repeated over a long period of time, could cause the hair follicle to eventually quit.
I think another thing that contributes to the perception that shaving causes hair to grow back darker and thicker is the fact that many girls start shaving their legs before their leg hair has started coming in as dark and thick as it's going to get. I started shaving the summer before sixth grade, when all my body hair was like my arm hair is now--that is, practically invisible. I guess I thought it was the grown-up thing to do, and I was obsessed with being grown up. If my leg (and underarm, and bikini line) hair were still that fine and light, I wouldn't own a razor at all.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
Plucking is different than shaving, though. In the latter case, you're just cutting the hair at the skin's surface; in the former, you're actually yanking it out by the root. I could see how that kind of trauma, especially when repeated over a long period of time, could cause the hair follicle to eventually quit.

That makes sense. After several years of waxing, there are certain places on my legs where hairs have stopped growing in, or they grow in much shorter. Hopefully that will continue in the future.
Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RiotGirlHeather
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiotGirlHeather   Author's Homepage   E-mail RiotGirlHeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have really light blonde arm hair, so I don't worry about shaving it. My leg hair is really light blonde, even after shaving them from the time I was 11. I guess I lucked out in that department.

My eyebrows are another story...they're dark, strawberry blonde, they grow in all different directions, and they grow fast. It seems as if two days after I pluck a hair it's back to full length. Although, I can have light brown, dark blonde, or red hair and have it look natural.

Heather

--------------------
Luke: I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.
Princess Leia: You're who?

Posts: 560 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BelleMorte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BelleMorte   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I shave the hair off my arms because it makes self tanner go on smoother.

--------------------
"Cheating Hall Of Shame"-in honor of the dishonest.
Every driver, owner and crew chief has a place in our Hall, which won't be moving to Daytona Beach anytime soon. Lone exception? Kyle Petty, who hasn't won a race since 1754.

Posts: 545 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having just returned from Florence and having looked at a lot of Renaissance paintings, including a lot of nude ladies, I noticed that none of the ladies had underarm hair. Is that because the models had shaved it off or did the artists not paint it?

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
notorious fluffy g
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notorious fluffy g   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
one of my daughters is self conscious of the hair on her arms ( of all of her sisters,hers is dark) and she shaves it. she is much happier about her arms now. I recall when the girls were younger i let them shave their legs because of gymanstics competition- but i got flack from other non gymanstics moms about it

--------------------
"Reading and writing, arithmetic and grammar do not constitute education, any more than a knife, fork and spoon constitute a dinner."

* Sir John Lubbock

Posts: 76 | From: Clarksburg, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages