snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Anal okra highs (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Anal okra highs
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Lately I've been hearing a lot about Okra and kids getting high
from boiling up the vegetable which produces a slime and then inserting
the vegetable anally to get high. This sounds too far out to me but you
never know. I've not really been able to find any info supporting it or
disproving it. When I read the story my first reaction was to immediately
come to Snopes to check. I first found out about it on a messageboard and
below is the story the poster cut and pasted from somewhere (They wouldn't
post the source)

"Most parents would be pleased to discover their young teen's interest in
fresh vegetables but in Wichita Kansas, a more sinister use may be looming
and public officials are looking to gain control before the entire city is
consumed.

It's called O-holing, where teens describe a hallucinogenic-type high by
briefly boiling stalks of okra until the well known "slimy" substance
covers the pods. Then the unthinkable happens, the okra is placed inside
the anus. There the slime enters the bloodstream via the thin walls of the
lower large intestine. The effects are reported to range from a "Warm
relaxed feeling all over" to a full on hallucinogenic "trip", lasting
several hours.

The popularity of O-holing appears to be widespread, ranging from youths
as young as 8 years old to seasoned incarcerated inmates in our prison
system looking to "turn on" with okra.

Justin D. (last name withheld) Describes how quickly his addiction to
O-Holing escalated:
"It started as a joke, we read on the Internet about all these kids
getting a buzz off of putting okra up your (anus) so one night at a house
party we tried it. I couldn't believe it. It was like Disneyland. Next
thing I knew I was selling my CD's and games and heading down to the A&P
for more O. One day they were completely out and I like totally went off
on the produce guy. They wouldn't let me come back after that. So I
started going to the O-parties"

O-parties, an underground circuit, similar to the "rave" scene of the 90's
where there is music, flashing lights and pots of boiling okra, lots of
Okra.

Police Sergeant Ira Pouncas states that over 12 O-parties were raided
within the last year. School officials were put on notice.
"I am pleased to report that okra will be removed from the school lunch
menu for the 2006-07 school year. It has already been deleted from prison
meals as the effects of O-holing are unpredictable and even dangerous to
our CO's"

A proposal to launch an entire arm of law enforcement with a six figure
budget is on the table to be voted on in early 2007.

"It's set to be worse than crack and heroin combined." Sgt. Pouncas
states, "It's everywhere, sold right over the counter to kids."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Lately I've been hearing a lot about Okra and kids getting high
from boiling up the vegetable which produces a slime and then inserting
the vegetable anally to get high. This sounds too far out to me but you
never know.

Well, you could always try...

Man!! this one makes me want to buy okra now. Honey, can you boil some okra and put it up my ass tonite?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okra?

Anally???

O-Holing?????

[lol]

Except that it made the Urban Dictionary.

And this MySpacer claims to have originated the story.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plaidzebra
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plaidzebra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
File this under: extremely unlikely. Sounds like an article from the satirical weekly The Onion.
Posts: 16 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shrek_Daddy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shrek_Daddy   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shrek_Daddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah--but the "Wichita Post Gazette" (from the Urban Dictionary Link) returns no hits..I vote UL.

ETA for clarity

--------------------
"We keep finding better ways to celebrate mediocrity"---Mr. Incredible

Assume at least one edit for typos..my keyboard and I fight alot :)

Posts: 275 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The quoted article reads SOO much like something The Onion would do that it is, well, funny.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Psst, buddy, gotcha corn cobs right here....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

[lol]
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah. I vote satire. The whole thing reeked of Onion, but a search at their site comes up empty. I would like to know where it came from, though. Might be good reading.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pirateslife
Deck the Malls

Icon 19 posted      Profile for pirateslife   Author's Homepage   E-mail pirateslife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I EAT boiled okra, and I've never gotten high off of it. I'm not sure shoving it up your bum would be more effective than oral insertion...
And yes, eating boiled okra is rather like eating snot. But it's TASTY snot.

quote:
Next thing I knew I was selling my CD's and games and heading down to the A&P for more O. One day they were completely out and I like totally went off on the produce guy. They wouldn't let me come back after that. So I started going to the O-parties"
And if that isn't satire, I'll shove a piece of boiled okra up my a**.

--------------------
If the world were logical, men would ride sidesaddle. -Mama

I won't ask "Am I weird?" because that ship sailed long ago. -Kahuna Burger

Posts: 394 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, I found http://blog.myspace.com/93355931 on Google. Let me put my tongue in my cheek while I point out that Terribly Wrong Online does not seem a very reliable news source.
Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pirateslife:
Well, I EAT boiled okra, and I've never gotten high off of it. I'm not sure shoving it up your bum would be more effective than oral insertion...
And yes, eating boiled okra is rather like eating snot. But it's TASTY snot.

I thought you are suppossed to stir-fry away the slime, or put it up your ass, whatever works.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
wouldn't injecting it work much quicker?

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly it reminded me of the Weekly World News piece about rural kids getting high by sniffing methane gas from cow manure. (To which the only conceivable response was, "Man, do you know where I can get some good sh!t around here?")

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rokatesh
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rokatesh   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rokatesh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This site is a listing of newspapers/news agencies in Wichita - no "Post" or "Gazette" is listed.

Also, a search on "okra" and "anal" retrieved nothing from the AP website (but I only checked the last 7 days).

And, other than the myspace.com link above - I can't find any other reference.

I vote UL.

--------------------
Shannon (aka Rokatesh)

Posts: 53 | From: Aztec, NM | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had problems see any teen aged kid shoving something of their hind end. Then to top that off they are doing it a parties. OK, some kids may try putting things in the back door, but to go public is far to much for me to believe.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed that it sounds like an Onion piece.

You cannot get high off okra slime. If you could, ingesting it would put you in an intoxicated state and there would be no need to shove anything up your butt. Unless, of course, you wanted to...

(Did you know okra, cotton, and hibiscus are in the same family: Malvaceae? There's your random trivia fact for the day. [Smile] )

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SanguinePenguin
Ika and Tina Tuna

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SanguinePenguin   E-mail SanguinePenguin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the funniest thing I have seen all day! I keep thinking of kids sneaking out to the grocery store to buy.....OKRA! And the thought of them cooking it and mom sees it and thinks, "Oh my! These boys are such good children, so concerned about health..." and the thought of them trying to cram a limp okra up their ass is priceless. I think we should do all we can to strengthen this legend!
Posts: 119 | From: Nashville | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is the funniest thing I have seen all day! I keep thinking of kids sneaking out to the grocery store to buy.....OKRA! And the thought of them cooking it and mom sees it and thinks, "Oh my! These boys are such good children, so concerned about health..." and the thought of them trying to cram a limp okra up their ass is priceless.
If that cracks you up, think about the supposed okra parties. Like a rave party, but no one is wearing pants as they need to occasionally stuff themselves. It goes way beyond wierd!

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else read the topic 'Anal Orka (ie. Orca) highs?' I thought this would be a thread on Cetacea sexual habits. Ho hum.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose we could always find a volunteer from Okraholma to try it out and report back to us.

[fish]

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I gave it a shot and so far all I feel is the need to bread and fry my nether parts.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like somebody got it confused with the Victorian practice of Figging.

"The things you learn when you're friends with dominatrixes." -winter

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I scream scooper
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 506 posted      Profile for I scream scooper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

LMAO

--------------------
I scream use cream

Posts: 14 | From: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if you were on an okra high all day and all night, how much could that possibly cost?

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can just imagine the author writing it down and realizing that Someone, Somewhere is actually going to try it.
Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand this started out originally as a way for Richard Gere to feed his gerbil.

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kindly Wise

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Kindly Wise   E-mail Kindly Wise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya know, I GOOGLED "Anal Okra High" and got
- a really bad John Denver song
- a rejected "Nick at Night" script
- Will Smith in "Enema of the State"
- "Gumbo and Pokey" cartoons
- something on Discovery Channel called "The Anal-Retentive Chef"

And on a more serious note, I found this quotation:

quote:
Myoxinol is a patented complex of oligopeptides obtained by the biotransformation of native proteins from the seeds of Hibiscus esculentus L. (okra). These botanical peptides combat wrinkles in a similar way to botulinic toxin, by inhibiting the mechanical factors responsible for the appearance of expression lines on the face. Myoxinol
Honestly, if I had an okra pod shoved up me nether regions I might develop expression lines on the face....

--------------------
Beati caseusarii

Posts: 103 | From: Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Police Sergeant Ira Pouncas...
is:

A Pious Narc
A Sour Panic
A Cap in Ours
A Rap Cousin
Saurian Cop
Anus Air Cop
Anus Pica, or...?

Something tells me this won't make it onto an episode of Mythbusters. (Although they have done the Brown Note and an entire episode devoted to flatulence.) Walking around the workshop with orka slime up one's butt would certainly be a good way to initiate an intern though. [Wink]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blue Fuzzy Thing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Fuzzy Thing   E-mail Blue Fuzzy Thing   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus nippon:
Something tells me this won't make it onto an episode of Mythbusters. (Although they have done the Brown Note and an entire episode devoted to flatulence.) Walking around the workshop with orka slime up one's butt would certainly be a good way to initiate an intern though. [Wink]

Heh, I can see it now. They sit down and explain the myth to them and then say "OK, now here's where you fit in..."

Or alternatively, I could see some very unusual modifications to Buster...

Blue Fuzzy Thing

--------------------
People say I have ADD, but they just don’t understand that... Oh look! A chicken!

Posts: 151 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus nippon:
Walking around the workshop with orka slime up one's butt would certainly be a good way to initiate an intern though. [Wink]

I think I have a great idea for something to do to the newbies at next month's initiation ceremony. [Eek!]

Now whether the sumo wrestlers and the Georgian dance troupe will go along with it is another thing entirely. [lol] [Wink]

- Pseudo "okra-hummer" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not trying it. Let's get Mikey to try it....

I can't even stand to touch okra. All that fuzzy, slimey stuff. EWWW. Seems like it would cause a rash or something.

And Robbie, Gere's gerbil eats okra? How interesting.....

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ratboy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ratboy   E-mail Ratboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Wikipedia, Okra is also called lady's finger. [Wink]
Posts: 144 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

quote:
Originally posted by Wish You Were Her:
According to Wikipedia, Okra is also called lady's finger. [Wink]

That's what I always used to call it. Then I heard about a dessert called Tiramisu that uses something called ladyfingers and I used to think that Tiramisu is made from okra. What kind of dessert is made from okra?? [Confused] and can you put it up your ass?

--------------------
Nico Sasha

TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like the latest mutation of the "legal high" myth. I've seen the Coca-Cola/aspirin combo, shooting up Pantene, smoking banana peels, and huffing Dust-Off. But the "anal insertion" twist is definitely new.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages