snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Scorned Wife or Viral Marketing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scorned Wife or Viral Marketing?
Rendalyn
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Rendalyn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
14 Days of Vengance

This woman is suposedly blogging her "revenge" on her cheating ex-husband. However [URL=http://gawker.com/news/advertising/spurned-wife-more-likely-26yearold-hipster- ad-twat-who-thinks-hes-just-so-clever-187884.php]Gawker[/URL] seems to think this is just some sort of viral add campaign. The blog was just started June 30 and the woman just seems TOO nutty to be real.

And if it IS viral marketing... I think we have all gone too far.

(Posted here for possible NSFW/NSFBSK language on the blog)

Posts: 10 | From: Conway, AR | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orpheum
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orpheum     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's real, I *almost* feel bad for the guy.

*Almost*.

What is it with men that can't be satisfied with the commitments they, themselves, made? If one is going to put a ring on someone's finger, one should have the decency to let them know it's time to take it off before humping around.

--------------------
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Willy Wonka

Posts: 121 | From: Grand Forks, ND | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
spe934
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spe934   E-mail spe934   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just remember that there are 3 sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth. There is probably a bunch more going on here that she leads on... If she is a b#$#* like that all the time, I can't stay that I don't blame to dude. Maybe he should have gotten a divorce a long time ago before the cheating started, but that is a decision HE has to live with the rest of his life...

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband

The main difference between men and women is that women need a reason to have sex, and men just need a place.

Posts: 206 | From: Evansville, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orpheum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orpheum     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe he should have gotten a divorce a long time ago before the cheating started, but that is a decision HE has to live with the rest of his life...

Yep - if a married partner (or committed one, considering that a good 5-10% of us can't get married - a rant for another time) doesn't have the decency to end it before "sharing the love," then s/he deserves everything that's coming to him/her.

There's simply no excuse - none that holds water, anyway - for f***ing around behind a partner's back. While she definitely doesn't *have* to make this guy's remaining years on the planet a living hell, she's certainly within her rights to do it, and I'll have a good time watching it.

--------------------
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Willy Wonka

Posts: 121 | From: Grand Forks, ND | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds the plot of a movie or a tv show to me. I think the idea of it being viral marketing is a good one. I don't think people in real life do things like this, they just fantasize about it. It sounds too much like a soap opera to be believable.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
spe934
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spe934   E-mail spe934   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to see the video evidence....

"Now for only $9.99... with a new video every month!"

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband

The main difference between men and women is that women need a reason to have sex, and men just need a place.

Posts: 206 | From: Evansville, Indiana USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rendalyn
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rendalyn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More research on the subject has revealed an identical billboard in LA
Posts: 10 | From: Conway, AR | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh good job. I've been unable to unearth anything on it. Looks like it's viral indeed. Now to figure out what movie, tv show or book it's plugging.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It does not sound real. Reading all of the entries, it sounds very contrived, especially if the writer is supposed to be a communications major.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(From the blog)

quote:
I put it near Stevenís office so his co-workers and friends could see exactly what a cheating scumbag he is.

Itís a personal message for everyone to read.

You'd have thought she'd have bothered to put his full name on it, then, so that people could tell who it was addressed to, wouldn't you? Rather than just sticking with two common names that look personal but carefully can't actually be used to identify an individual who might be defamed?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Edit: Nevermind. I came from a chowed thread and didn't actually read the first post which said what I said.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, it seems a little odd that she just happened to start her blog a couple weeks before she found out her husband was cheating on her and she mentions her husband in just about every entry. There are plenty of coincedences that are just too good to be true in the earlier entries as well. It's just too perfect to be real.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
schumichick
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schumichick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
stunt done by CourtTV

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/viral__but_not_infectious_entertainment_mandy_stadtmiller.htm

--------------------
'We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.' -- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 391 | From: the left coast of the USA -- WA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it's just hit the news over here (it was in the free Metro paper today) taken at face value, and with a real "aren't those Californians crazy" subtext.

No link - there is no online version for the metro.

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ok since it is a viral marketing ploy, what if there really was a Steven who was married to an Emily, in the area, and this started a huge fight and ultimately ended in divorce, would they get any settlement because of the misunderstanding?
Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steggy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steggy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Guys,

My names Steven and my girlfriends name is Emily, fortunatley the billboard picture we saw online didnt spark off a big row. Just freaked us out for a bit.

Steggy

Posts: 4 | From: Luton, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that confusing unless you're in California, I guess. Even then you'd only have to check the joint account.

Still - that's got to be the best reason yet for registering and making your first post.

Welcome to the board. Stick around for some non-Steven-and-Emily discussions.

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
steggy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steggy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Have been lurking about for ages, just reading. This was the first time I felt compelled to post something.

My girlfriends first reaction was "Who sent you that because that isnt funny" to which I had to explain that it was on a snopes message board and no one there knows me. Lol

Posts: 4 | From: Luton, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages