snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Stop the Show! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stop the Show!
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, ramblin' again:
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
Otherwise wouldn't that lead to the erroneous belief that girls pee out of their vaginas?

I shudder to recall how old I was before I learned that wasn't the case. [Embarrassed]

I never thought that was the case until I was 19 or 20. I was getting bladder infections repeatedly, and the doctor did a little sketch on the examination table paper cover to explain why my urethra might be getting foreign matter in it. The drawing gave the impression my urethra was at the top of my vagina (near where the cervix is). I certainly hope I just misunderstood his drawing, but for about five years I was under that mistaken impression. Which is funny, because before that, I always thought pee came out from where it does.
Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ETA: IIRC, there were two different kids in Kindergarten Cop who made the comments referred to above. One kid said "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina," and another one said, "My daddy's a gynecologist, he looks at vaginas all day long." But it's been a long time since I've seen that movie.

Nope, same kid.

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Forgotten Fay
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from strangers:
Forgotten Fay, I have to ask. Why was the boy asking about wearing a condom? Were there some in the store?

I'm not quiet sure. I know there is some in the store. But I'm not sure if they were over there. I just put it down to a young boy being young. =)

Forgotten "If that made sense..." Fay

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 105 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat:
...My wife has no issue at all with using adult terminology for anything, but will frequently flippantly refer to oral sex as "sucking the pee-pee." Needless to say, this doesn't do much to help my state of arousal, and I don't find it nearly as funny as she seems to.

If I could find a woman willing to do that, I wouldn't care what she called it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Joseph: Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina!
Phoebe: [to Kimble] I see you taught them the basics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tina & Rina: Our mom says our dad is a real sex machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joseph: My dad's a gynecologist. He looks at vaginas all day long.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie:
quote:
ETA: IIRC, there were two different kids in Kindergarten Cop who made the comments referred to above. One kid said "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina," and another one said, "My daddy's a gynecologist, he looks at vaginas all day long." But it's been a long time since I've seen that movie.

Nope, same kid.
Yep, that was Miko Hughes who also played the returned from the dead toddler Gage Creed in "Pet Sematary". He definitely said both of those lines in "Kindergarten Cop".

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom taught my younger sister and I to use the correct terminology.
Backfired, though, because I called my Uncle Dennis, "Uncle Penis."
...ahem.

But now, at 22 years of age, I have a hard time using the proper words, so whenever I have to say 'em, I turn it into a joke and use silly words.

I don't use crude words either, ever. You know, the bad ones. Yucky.

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't often talk out loud about genitals but when I do I use silly words. Because often the discussion is about something ridiculous anyway. I don't remember any special words that I grew up with, but sometime in the last 10 years my mom started saying tutti and pee-pee.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So... when a child asks where does a girl urinate/wee/pee from, what do you say?
Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Where every woman pees:

DOWNTHERE

[Wink]

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by inkiemouse:
But now, at 22 years of age, I have a hard time using the proper words, so whenever I have to say 'em, I turn it into a joke and use silly words.

I was taught proper terminology for body parts and bodily functions, and generally didn't use silly words for them...

Until I moved in with my SO 7 years ago, and his terminology rubbed off on me. The male and female parts (and unfortunately other things, which makes it confusing) are all referred to as "thingies." And I no longer have to use the restroom, I have to "go potty." I moved back here near my family again last year, and when my mom gave me a funny look one day, I realized it was because I just told her I had to go potty. I'm a nearly 30 year old woman.

It was more embarrassing to me than the times I've accidentally sworn in front of her.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a child I always said "use the restroom" but my senior year of high school my friend and I started saying "going wee-wah" and "making bears" and still do. Not sure why.

ETA: We also call restrooms wee-wah stations.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was that age, I knew the proper words, but delighted in saying other ones. My sister and I invented a word for the vagina, "eyrie". It happens to be a real word, one for an eagle nest. Imagine our hysterics years later when we went to camp... Green Eyrie.

Also, when I was four, I decided women urinated out the clitoris. This was because I knew men urinated out the penis. I wondered what the equivelent structure was in women, and the clitoris resembled a small penis.

Sister "but the only play I went to as a kid was 'Charlotte's Web'" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 05 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Ray:
Also, when I was four, I decided women urinated out the clitoris. This was because I knew men urinated out the penis. I wondered what the equivelent structure was in women, and the clitoris resembled a small penis.

I had never heard this before the following story, but I guess thinking about it that way it does make some sense.

TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI TMI

I hope that's enough. Added warning: this story is NFBSK.

Not too terribly long ago I, uh...fooled around with my gay male friend T's straight dormmate. Previously the guy had do experience with women at all. A few weeks later it came up in conversation that he thought women urinated out of the clitoris. My friend left the room, called me and asked "Is there anything unusual about your lady business?" afraid that his dormmate had gotten the idea from me.
[Embarrassed] (He hadn't, by the way) It was a very awkward discussion but eventually T came to the conclusion that his dormmate just "hadn't been paying attention" never mind the fact that he would not have seen me urinate during intimate activity, I'm not into that.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
quote:
Originally posted by Megan's Mom:
Actually, around 4 or 5 is often a time when kids starting wanting to know the "real" words for private parts. Don't you remember the scene in "Kindergarten Cop" where the little kid loudly announces that "Boys have penises and girls have vaginas".

Do you have anything close to a cite that this is "often" the case?

And aside from the fact that Kindergarten Cop was a movie- IIRC the characters in question had a father who was a gynocologist or the like which was why the kids knew the words.

Nope, no cite other than personal experience as the mother of a 5yo and aunt to 10 others ranging in age from 18 to 3. Not to mention the numerous kids I've seen IRL, out at the store or in a restaurant, loudly proclaiming their ownership of said body parts. Did you mean to be snarky or was it just how you came across?

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
murmurzz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for murmurzz   E-mail murmurzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I have no problem calling male genitilia "penis". In fact, I like the word penis ... Has a nice ring to it. For some reason, I have a bit of an aversion to the word "vagina" (which I'll have to get over for the sake of my baby girl).

"Vagina" just sounds a bit ooky to me. When refering to myself, I'll usually use "my parts" or "cootch", or my favorite, "crotch". Yes, I said cootch. Go figure.

As I said in my previous post, I'm definitely sticking to "vagina" for my daughter (due any day now!)

--------------------
www.myspace.com/murmurzz <--- psst, I need friends. Bad.

Posts: 167 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I see the word "vagina" written down, in always reads itself to me in the voice of Phil Hartman doing Charlton Heston reading Madonna's _Sex_.

I think "vulva" is better, and it describes the bit you'd generally be talking about with a child more accurately, anyway.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Giselle

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me to Chloe I thought I was the only one.

"I love my vagina.:

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by murmurzz:
Personally, I have no problem calling male genitilia "penis". In fact, I like the word penis ... Has a nice ring to it. For some reason, I have a bit of an aversion to the word "vagina"

I'm the other way around, and don't really know why. I just think "vagina" has a lovely ring to it.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gudrin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gudrin   E-mail gudrin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that in my family, the children are taught the correct words for penis and vagina. Of course, that makes for interesting times. My husband's cousin's little boy (got that?), when he was four years old sang a song about his scrotum. It was at a party here at our house. We borrowed a hay rack from the neighbors and set up a band on it. We encouraged the little ones to sing. All of a sudden this little boy gets up there and starts singing,

Scrotum, scrotum, my wrinkly crinkly bag of skin....
I saw another mother put her hands over her daughter's ears. I thought it was funny, and the parents saw nothing wrong with it.

My cousin's little girl had a time in the bathroom. My cousin had just had a baby not to long before hand and to make sure her daughter was still getting attention decided to go shopping with her. The daughter had to use the bathroom, so in they went and there being only one open stall, they shared it. Daughter goes first and mom next. When mom pulled down her pants, the daughter says, really loudly, "Mom! You're bleeding from your vagina!" After assurances that it was okay, the daughter said, "But mom there's a big bandage there and everything!"

When we have children we will teach them the proper words as well. I know it may lead to embarassing times, but that's part of raising kids as well.

--------------------
Hey look! A shiny new post!

Posts: 125 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ligeia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ligeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gudrin:

Bob and Tom fan, eh?

--------------------
Fight evil diaper rash!

Posts: 196 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
defrostmode
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for defrostmode   Author's Homepage   E-mail defrostmode   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My ding-a-ling, My ding-a-ling! I want you to play with my ding-a-l..... sorry...

In my house we use the correct terminolagy... but oddly my son (7, oldest child and brother to 3 sisters) always just calls it his 'thing'... but if he is talking about one in general or someone elses (like mine, or making an inapropriate comment/joke about nudity) he calls it a penis. I have always thought it was very strange.

My wife watched her cousins (who are 11 and 12, much older than my girls at 5,4, and 2) have to use stupid words for everything because of their parents.
So now my girls imitate them and breasts become 'bumps', farting is 'dropping a rose', ect... it's quite annoying and we are getting them to stop, but for some reason breast or boobs has become 'boobies'! and noone around them calls them that.

Which lead to a embarassing story at Wal*Mart (and it had to happen when I could take all the kids with me to the store without them embarrasing me... they usually embarrass her by not listening at all/running around/throwing stuff in the cart)
we were walking around the store when my son needed to use the restroom. so we went back by the restrooms and me and the girls were waiting for him... After a couple of minutes a woman sat down and began breast feeding (with no cover) so her breast was in plain site. Almost imediatly after seeing it my four year old girl stood up in the shopping cart and pointed while (in the style of a drunk teenage boy on a dumb teen movie) yelled "boobies!!!". Needless to say I was QUITE embarrassed and still to this day am having a hard time figuring out why she had to do that to me! lol

ETA: sorry ADD kicked in and I forgot what I was doing

Posts: 34 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum

Icon 81 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tiny hi-jack--
quote:
Originally posted by Ligeia:
quote:
Originally posted by gudrin:

Bob and Tom fan, eh?
The Asylum Street Spankers are Great!

Yee-Bob and Tom fan too-Mum

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rocksong:
So... when a child asks where does a girl urinate/wee/pee from, what do you say?

So the best answer is "vulva"?
Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

So the best answer is "vulva"?
If you want to get technical, the best answer is "through the urethral orifice", but that may pose more questions than it answers.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't remember being taught the proper anatomical terms, though if I were planning to have children I would definitely do so. I do distinctly remember my friend Peggy telling me what the real name for a boy's weiner was at lunch in about second grade. I thought anything that waste (whether liguid or, um, solid) came out of was my butt. I think I finally learned all I needed to know from reading a family health book that my parents had (I was a very good reader as a child and read anything I could get my hands on).

One ex-boyfriend of mine referred to my nether regions as my "flower." Ugh.

In the realm of embarrassing conversations, I once asked my mother in the grocery store what a dildo was. I was about 12 and a girl in my class had used the word. I just thought it was something she made up and had no idea that it would be something that would completely embarrass my mother. Oops...sorry mom.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tlynch
Eagle Opportunity Employer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlynch   E-mail tlynch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My twin 5 year old boys say 'weiner', not because I have any hang ups over 'penis', but because it is so funny to hear them say 'weiner'. And my wife isn't happy at all about it.
Posts: 12 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missie   E-mail Missie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember very odd things from when I was young. I remember my mother attempting to explain the differences between boys and girls to me (I had a younger brother and had seen him getting his diaper changed by now) when I was about 3 or 4. I couldn't quite get a handle on the word 'penis'. At some point she tried to explain the word (not the body part, obviously) as "'peanuts' without a 't'".

A few days later in the supermarket we wandered past some peanuts. This jumpstarted my memory and I loudly asked what a penis was again, because I still didn't quite understand what it was for. I think my mom asked me why on earth I would ask something like that in the supermarket and I explained about the peanuts thing. I believe she quickly explained that it wasn't the time or the place and at some point she rented a kiddie-education video on Where Babies Come From in the hopes I wouldn't have any more questions.

Posts: 98 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you really have to revert to using Latin medical terms for perfectly ordinary body parts? Are there seriously no normal, acceptable English words for it?

Why would "Penis" and "Vagina" be the only proper words? I mean, I can think of enough normal, straightforward Dutch (or Russian, as our daughter speaks Russian at home) words to use.

And what's wrong with using cute names occasionally?

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Joostik, if you can think of a "normal" word for penis and vagina, other than 'penis' and 'vagina', please do let us know. AFAIK, those are considered the English terms, despite their origins in Latin. And I don't think anyone is saying that there is anything wrong with using cute names occasionally - just that they shouldn't be taught to children as the "normal" terms (to borrow your phraseology).

Our kids were both taught to use penis and vulva, as I was as a kid. We never thought to teach our first any word for his anus, though, which led to one embarrassing incident. When he was really little (about 2 yo), we hadn't yet figured out all of his food allergies, and had given him something with beef in it. Beef literally makes his gut bleed. We were at the cottage of extended family that we don't know very well, and as I was changing his diaper he started yelling "my penis hurts! my penis hurts!". Thereafter followed a long explanation to the family to clarify that he really had a sore butt!

Nowadays, our greatest problem is our two boys' easy familiarity with the word 'vagina'. I've been producing and performing in The Vagina Monologues for 3 years, so for them, it's a word they hear around the house, connected with mom's theatre. They really don't get why it doesn't usually come up in polite conversation. Our youngest likes to belt out the lyrics to The Arrogant Worms song "The Last Saskatchewan Pirate" at the top of his lungs: ..."on vagina's [Regina's] mighty shore!" I'm beginning to suspect that he's doing it on purpose.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joostik:
Do you really have to revert to using Latin medical terms for perfectly ordinary body parts? Are there seriously no normal, acceptable English words for it?

Penis and vagina are "normal, acceptable English words." They also happen to be the correct medical terms. Most of our organs and bones are called by their medical terms, which despite having roots in Latin or Greek, have become the everyday English words for those body parts. The penis and vagina are the only two body parts I can think of that are given "cutsie" names.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:
Joostik, if you can think of a "normal" word for penis and vagina, other than 'penis' and 'vagina', please do let us know.

If I knew I wouldn't have asked. That's just the point: does English, the language with reputably the biggest vocabulary in the world, not have its own words for these parts like any other language? Or is it just that ANY English word would automatically be considered unsuitable?

quote:
Originally posted by Little Red Cervette:
Most of our organs and bones are called by their medical terms, which despite having roots in Latin or Greek, have become the everyday English words for those body parts.

Most of our organs and bones? Only if you count the obscure ones. All the "obvious" body parts, visible and noticeable by any casual observer, have English names.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know - wouldn't bones like scapula, clavicle, sternum, etc be pretty common? And I'm guessing that, though these words are English NOW, they came from Latin or Greek, [along with a large chunk of the rest of the English language, now that I think of it?]

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't shoulder blade, collar bone and breast bone be more commonly used in English rather than scapula, clavicle and sternum? As well as knee-cap for patella, skull rather than cranium etc.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

For example, the Dutch equivalent of the "C" word, "Kut", would be considered at most only mildly vulgar but perfectly acceptable in most circumstances. It is often used in common expressions. For children you can also use the diminutive, an option lacking in English.

"Plasser", from "to pee", is used mostly for children but no one would consider it "embarassingly cute".

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages