snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Stop the Show! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stop the Show!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.latimes.com/news/columnists/la-me-only30jun30,1,3157400.column

quote:
"Stop the Show," a new book detailing unusual theater incidents, recounts a Burbank production of "Sleeping Beauty" in which "the actor playing Prince Charming entered wearing very close-fitting tights."

A boy of about 4 in the audience "clearly was having his first live theater experience," wrote author Brad Schreiber. "He stood up and, clear as a bell, announced to his mother and the rest of the Falcon Theater, 'Mommy, I can see Prince Charming's penis!'"

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our son is only 14 1/2 months but I wouldn't think that most 4 year olds say "penis"?

I had to have been his first show since he didn't see that prince charming really doesn't have an interest in the princess he'd rather have the queen...drag that is [Razz]

Ok I should leave this joke making to someone else [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it depends on what he's heard his parents or other people call it. I'd rather call it a "penis" with my children, God forbid I ever have them, as opposed to the cutesy names like "willy, winky, hoo-ha, monkey, wee-wee, etc." that we hear it called. So if his parents have said it in the past, combined with the child seeing someone in tights or that tight-fitting of clothing in public for the first time, I can buy that a child would say just such a thing. Wether this incident actually happened or not, who knows. It's certainly plausible, though.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think it depends on what he's heard his parents or other people call it. I'd rather call it a "penis" with my children, God forbid I ever have them, as opposed to the cutesy names like "willy, winky, hoo-ha, monkey, wee-wee, etc." that we hear it called.
I've tried to convince some people I know with children that they should use the old (and nowadays considered obsolete) word "åderpåle" (dierect translation is something like "veiny pole"). So far it hasn't caught on...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We were buying hockey equipment in the US and my son said, loud enough for several people in the shop to hear, "Daddy, don't forget to buy a schmeckel protector." [Embarrassed] ("It's just a protector, son," I whispered.) I have to be a little more careful about what kind of language I use around him!
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, around 4 or 5 is often a time when kids starting wanting to know the "real" words for private parts. Don't you remember the scene in "Kindergarten Cop" where the little kid loudly announces that "Boys have penises and girls have vaginas". DD (age 5) often chooses less than appropriate places to discuss things like that. I get a lot less embarrassed by the penis/vagina comments than when she points out that some random person she can see has "plumber's butt" (i.e. butt crack showing). Thanks a bunch for that one, Daddy!!

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope we've reached a day and age where a four year old kid would call it a penis and not a "pee-pee" or other such silly word. I'm sure it's plausible, but it's also one of those things that could have easily been made up.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rodh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rodh     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son has been using the term penis since he could speak.

Of course this backfires at times. We were at the drive-in and between shows I decided to go to the washroom. As I was walking away my son (3 years old at the time) leaned out the van window and yelled, "Dad, don't forget to wipe your penis!!"

Posts: 403 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
murmurzz
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for murmurzz   E-mail murmurzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son is just over 2 and while he isn't speaking a whole lot yet, much less speaking about his penis, we always use "penis" when refering to that particular body part. We'll also refrain from using cutesy names with my little girl-to-be (like "hoo hoo" or "down there"). I seriously can't stand that.

I knew a little boy once who called it his noodle. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
www.myspace.com/murmurzz <--- psst, I need friends. Bad.

Posts: 167 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my cousins called it his tiger. He once got it tangled in the mesh of his swimming trunks (don't ask me how), and my mum had to help him out. She was very very confused when he first asked her for help. (You got your tiger stuck in your trunks?)

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by murmurzz:
My son is just over 2 and while he isn't speaking a whole lot yet, much less speaking about his penis, we always use "penis" when refering to that particular body part. We'll also refrain from using cutesy names with my little girl-to-be (like "hoo hoo" or "down there"). I seriously can't stand that.

I knew a little boy once who called it his noodle. [Roll Eyes]

When my nephews were young, my SIL explained the correct names of "those parts" to the older. Later on, they took a bath together, and my older nephew says to his brother "This is your penis, and these are your tenticles!" Still a favorite family story (obviously!)

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rodh:
My son has been using the term penis since he could speak.

Of course this backfires at times. We were at the drive-in and between shows I decided to go to the washroom. As I was walking away my son (3 years old at the time) leaned out the van window and yelled, "Dad, don't forget to wipe your penis!!"

Sorry but [lol]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan's Mom:
Actually, around 4 or 5 is often a time when kids starting wanting to know the "real" words for private parts. Don't you remember the scene in "Kindergarten Cop" where the little kid loudly announces that "Boys have penises and girls have vaginas".

Do you have anything close to a cite that this is "often" the case?

And aside from the fact that Kindergarten Cop was a movie- IIRC the characters in question had a father who was a gynocologist or the like which was why the kids knew the words.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I visited the Body Worlds exibit in Chicago, a girl about 4 years old goes " Mommy I can see his privates." when she was looking at one of the bodys.

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We've always used the word penis with my 4yr old son.

I haven't taught him the word vagina yet. He knows that I don't have a penis and that's as far as we've gotten.

My mother is a nurse and my sister and I were taught the words vagina and penis at an early age.

Kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ligeia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ligeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My nephew says "penis", because that's what his parents taught him. And, if I ever somehow end up with kids, I will also teach them to use "penis" and "vagina" because, well, that's what those parts are called. Why would you teach your child to call them something else only to have to tell them later that "Winky isn't really what we say, and hoo-hoo isn't even a real word"?

--------------------
Fight evil diaper rash!

Posts: 196 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie:
When my nephews were young, my SIL explained the correct names of "those parts" to the older. Later on, they took a bath together, and my older nephew says to his brother "This is your penis, and these are your tenticles!" Still a favorite family story (obviously!)

When my son was young, he had a "problem" with his scrotal sack. It was something minor (I forget). When I asked him what hurt, he just pointed. I was confused (as I knew he knew the words for it) and said, “Your penis hurts?”. His answer was, “No, the squishy parts.”.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
“No, the squishy parts.”.

That was the problem.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by emperor_genghis_khan:
quote:
“No, the squishy parts.”.

That was the problem.
Yup. Had to give him a father-son talk about the squishy parts. The wife didn't seem to understand.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've worked with adult women who refer to a penis as a "pee-pee". That drives me up the wall.

I also knew a woman who referred to her dog's penis as his "lipstick" because that's what it looks like when it's sticking out. I prefer to call it a penis regardless of species.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Except, teaching them that boys have penises and girls have vaginas isn't exactly accurate, is it? probably better to teach girls that they have a vulva (that comes complete with vagina, urethra, and super concentrated with nerves clit!). Otherwise wouldn't that lead to the erroneous belief that girls pee out of their vaginas?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Forgotten Fay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forgotten Fay   Author's Homepage   E-mail Forgotten Fay   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I almsot died laughing when I was at work one day. A little boy and his mom walked by, the boy was about 4 or 5, and he just blurted out (extreamly loud) "Mommy! Can I wear a condom?!" The Mom's mouth dropped open and she all but ran out of the store with him, and I just about crawled under the desk so no one would see me laughing.

But on serious note; when I have children, I do plan on teaching them the correct terms for their bodyparts. I never thought it wise to do otherwise. My cousin's son calls it his "bird." O.o

edited because I cannot spell.

--------------------
"Smile for me when I cannot Smile anymore..." ~ Myself

Posts: 174 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgotten Fay, I have to ask. Why was the boy asking about wearing a condom? Were there some in the store?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sad to say, there are a lot of parents who prefer the cutsey names. Even sadder, many parents don't have any kind of discussion about anatomy or function with their children.
But then, there's children who prefer their own names for things regardless of what the parents call them, such as DD1, who referred to that region as her 'body'. One of the teachers I work with commented that his two preteen sons have taken to referring to being 'kicked in the roundtables' as the final blow in their altercations with each other.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
Except, teaching them that boys have penises and girls have vaginas isn't exactly accurate, is it?

It's not ??? When did this change?

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Damian:
quote:
Except, teaching them that boys have penises and girls have vaginas isn't exactly accurate, is it?

It's not ??? When did this change?
Well, if you're teaching them about from where they urinate, then no...you don't want them to misinterpret it as girls urinate out of their vaginas. I just think it's more accurate to say that boys have penises, girls have vulvas. (Vulvae?)

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Artemis, I think what Damian meant is that boys do have penises and girls do have vaginas. You said this wasn't accurate. It is. But what you meant was that it is not accurate to parallel the two parts in terms of function.

Saying girls have vulvas isn't "more accurate", it's just as accurate as saying they have vaginas. Questions of accuracy only arise if you're describing what functions the parts serve. It's like saying boys have penises and girls have ovaries. Accurate biology? Yes. An accurate parallel? No.

The boy=penis and girl=vagina explanation probably is the simplest way to explain sex in the "Insert tab A into slot B" method. Some people are uncomfortable explaining sex to their children so they probably leave out the "unnecessary" parts like vulvas.

I was taught to refer to that whole region as "my private parts" and didn't learn all the technical names until 6th or 7th grade.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gift-wrapped smittykins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gift-wrapped smittykins     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LyndaD:
Sad to say, there are a lot of parents who prefer the cutsey names. Even sadder, many parents don't have any kind of discussion about anatomy or function with their children.

Then there's our old friend Gary Ezzo, who not only discourages using the proper terms for the private parts of one's body, but also giving kids any information about sex outside of a flower metaphor, leaving them to "figure it all out on their wedding night."

smitty"Ignorance is NOT bliss"kins

--------------------
"We're all entitled to a few eccentricities, provided they don't harm anyone, break the law, or cause a public nuisance"--James Qwilleran, The Cat Who Dropped A Bombshell(Lillian Jackson Braun)
Member AAMAH

Posts: 352 | From: Seneca Falls, NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Red Cervette:
I also knew a woman who referred to her dog's penis as his "lipstick" because that's what it looks like when it's sticking out. I prefer to call it a penis regardless of species.

In all fairness, at my job (at a kennel) we say "watch out, he's got lipstick!" Because it's quicker than "Careful, that dog has an erection!"

Back when I worked at the gas station a little boy in there with his grandpa put his hands on his hips and said "I have a BONER!" Lord only knows where he learned that one!

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from strangers:
Forgotten Fay, I have to ask. Why was the boy asking about wearing a condom? Were there some in the store?

Probably because kids just say stuff like that. When I was almost 2 my mom and I were at the store and she jokingly asked me if I needed anything, to which I replied, "Yes. I need some Stayfree Maxi pads."

Cherry "I still don't know why the brand mattered" Queen

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan's Mom:
DD (age 5) often chooses less than appropriate places to discuss things like that.

My DD (age 17!!!) does the exact same thing (and has since 5) and my wife also blames me!

Sometimes she does it on purpose to shock/embarass, but mostly not.

-Rogue

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember vividly once when I was around 12, and for some reason in a restaurant, I suddenly direly needed my mom to remind me of the name of the porn star I remembered her mentioning once as being "hung like a horse."

So, imagine me asking without lowering my voice "what's the name of that guy who's hung like a horse?" and my mom being embarrassed so pretending she doesn't hear, and me being completely oblivious, so repeating it louder.

I don't know why I was so oblivious, because it's not as though I didn't know it was completely inappropriate lunchtime communication. I wasn't too young to know better. The scene plays back for me like some horrible nightmare. I remember the look of the guy at the next table, and I have no idea why at that time, that look wasn't enough to get me to shut my big mouth.

BTW, the answer was John Holmes.

If I was going to have kids, I would teach them the proper names for their parts. I may also have cutesy names for them as well, at least that would keep them from shouting about penises in a crowded store. Even though I always knew the name for my "area", family tradition was to refer to it as a monkey. Even though you know what she means, it would be less mortifying to have your daughter rattling off some inane chatter about her monkey in a store than about her genitals. It would be less for me anyway.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the Ezzo site:

quote:
They further imply that this knowledge is evil and corrupting in itself. Couple this with the explicit contention that children are inherently perverse and corrupt and must not have their "evil imaginations activated"
It boggles the mind, it really does. Idiots.
Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've worked with adult women who refer to a penis as a "pee-pee". That drives me up the wall.
Heh heh. My wife has no issue at all with using adult terminology for anything, but will frequently flippantly refer to oral sex as "sucking the pee-pee." Needless to say, this doesn't do much to help my state of arousal, and I don't find it nearly as funny as she seems to.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Otherwise wouldn't that lead to the erroneous belief that girls pee out of their vaginas?

I shudder to recall how old I was before I learned that wasn't the case. [Embarrassed]

My parents taught me the correct words for everything just as soon as I was old enough to say them, so I could see a four year old knowing the word "penis." I'm pretty sure I did. I also inherited a visceral hatred for most of the "cute" names, in part because I remember most of my friends using them when they were surely old enough to know better. I even remember one friend finding a book about the birds and the bees and, although she was otherwise a good reader for her age (second grade, I think), she was stumped on how to pronounce the real words. I think she said "penss" and "viggina".

ETA: IIRC, there were two different kids in Kindergarten Cop who made the comments referred to above. One kid said "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina," and another one said, "My daddy's a gynecologist, he looks at vaginas all day long." But it's been a long time since I've seen that movie.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages