snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Whore Island (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Whore Island
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I heard a rumor that there is an island in the Carribean called
something like "Whore Island" or "Island of the Whores" or something like
that. Women are kidnapped and taken there so that rich people can come
and sleep with them, and armed guards prevent anyone from coming to spoil
the fun. Apparently there is speculation that Natalie Holloway may have
been kidnapped for the purpose of being taken there. Any truth to the
existence of such a place?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Makes me wonder exactly why they want to know.... they must have some vacation time coming up.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing is for sure, if there is an organisation powerful enough to arrange something like that, you do not want to know it.

I say it's bullshit, why would someone go through all that trouble when there is a perfectly healthy (in terms of "in working condition", in all other respects it's as far from healthy as can be) prostitution market all over the world, reachable through a cheap charter trip?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could believe there may be an island that is a "stop" for human trafficking but as an actual "fun spot" I don't really think it's too plausible. How would they make it safe compared to a cheap time kind of like Troberg said.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 211 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a typical white slavery type myth to me.
Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
why would someone go through all that trouble when there is a perfectly healthy prostitution market all over the world, reachable through a cheap charter trip?
Because those places exploit women.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:

It isn't a myth...

it
is
real

The only thing wrong with your above statement is adding the "white" part. Sex slavery does happen and it does not only involve white women.

Sadly, a lot of them are children.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
why would someone go through all that trouble when there is a perfectly healthy prostitution market all over the world, reachable through a cheap charter trip?
Because those places exploit women.

- snopes

So a "Whore Island" where all the women were "kidnapped" wouldn't be exploitation ?
[Confused]

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 217 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So a "Whore Island" where all the women were "kidnapped" wouldn't be exploitation?
I think most everyone got the joke without needing you to explain it.

- snopes

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one gets caught in the irony trap. (Spank-ed.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
So a "Whore Island" where all the women were "kidnapped" wouldn't be exploitation?
I think most everyone got the joke without needing you to explain it.
I didn't get it. It's a good thing it was explained to me, snopes, because I was going to report the post. [Razz]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
quote:

It isn't a myth...

it
is
real

The only thing wrong with your above statement is adding the "white" part. Sex slavery does happen and it does not only involve white women.

Sadly, a lot of them are children.

The "white" part is exactly what makes it a myth though. I don't think anyone here would deny that sex slavery exists- what is mythical is the idea that white women are in constant danger of being kidnapped and sold into slavery.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara R.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbara R.   E-mail Barbara R.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I first heard about white slavery rings some twenty to thirty-five years ago. Some magazine article about teen run aways related it in the early seventies. About twenty years later I heard a woman on "The 700 Club" relate her own alleged experience: she claimed that she was abducted and sold into white slavery around 1966, but she eventually escaped or was freed by the police. I don't recall exactly how she got out, though. The mythical part is that young women and girls are supposedly being drugged and kidnapped out of their homes in a nice town or neighborhood while going about some normal everyday routine. This is intent on making us fearful of the danger that is all around us.

Barbara R.

Posts: 378 | From: Boonville, Missouri USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ron Miel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Miel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've certainly seen island vacation resorts advertised where hookers are part of the attractions offered.

But I cry bullshit on tales of kidnapping. Some of the women in the profession - in the more classy establishments - are volunteers, you know.

Posts: 39 | From: London, England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara R.:
The mythical part is that young women and girls are supposedly being drugged and kidnapped out of their homes in a nice town or neighborhood while going about some normal everyday routine. This is intent on making us fearful of the danger that is all around us.

Right, that's what I was referring to. The idea that white, middle class women are being lifted out of dressing rooms via trap doors by evil "Oriental" slavers, like in this snopes legend (http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi), or in the musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie."
Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess is that irony/sarcasm may not be evident to non-native english speakers. And I only say this because Mr. Ng and I have fought about it on more than one occasion, and some friends ended up getting drinks thrown on them in Costa Rica because sarcasm-in-English was not obvious to the non-native English speakers.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I'm usually sarcastic enough myself and English is my first language, just still don't get it. I must have missed something somewhere... [Frown]

possibly I'm just dense...

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
snopes' comment was an explicit reference to the fact that any situation like this exploits women. His is a classic missing-the-point post, all done with tongue-in-cheek.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(quote)Apparently there is speculation that Natalie Holloway may have
been kidnapped for the purpose of being taken there.(quote)

Sad to say that part of the myth is false. Earlier this year her remains have been found after suspects were interrogated on suspicion of kidnapping the young adult.

She went on vacation when her friends were with her at the time of her disappearance.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
oops overpost

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
Earlier this year her remains have been found after suspects were interrogated on suspicion of kidnapping the young adult.

She went on vacation when her friends were with her at the time of her disappearance.

Can you cite that? I cannot find any information about her body being found or her friends being with her when she disappeared.

--------------------

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara R.:
The mythical part is that young women and girls are supposedly being drugged and kidnapped out of their homes in a nice town or neighborhood while going about some normal everyday routine. This is intent on making us fearful of the danger that is all around us.

Right, that's what I was referring to. The idea that white, middle class women are being lifted out of dressing rooms via trap doors by evil "Oriental" slavers, like in this snopes legend (http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi), or in the musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie."
Artemis,

I couldn't find the snopes legend you're talking about, but the story sounds familiar:

In 1969 a rumour swept through Orleans. Six dress shops operated, as it happened, by Jews, had been used as a means of trapping innocent young French girls to be sold into Eastern sex-slavery. Girls had gone into fitting rooms and never emerged, indeed were instead tied up in the back room and spirited away for sale to slavers. Curiously no town girls had been reported missing.

Eventually, the city of Orleans went into a state of panic, and the authorities had great difficulties restoring the peace. Apparently, the story has lived on for almost 30 years in other countries, with different "villains".

In France, these events are still known as "la rumeur d'Orléans", and are considered the classical "schoolbook case" of an urban legend going out of control.

Here a link to a book about this (in)famous case:

http://www.iobabooks.com/books/2364295.html

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalee_Holloway

From what I heard on CNN months ago, she was believed to be dead via her kidnappers in custody.

--------------------
Joseph Z

candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Believed to be dead" and "her remains were found" differ just slightly.

ETA: a missing letter

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalee_Holloway

From what I heard on CNN months ago, she was believed to be dead via her kidnappers in custody.

From your cite...

"On January 17, 2006...More than 50 Aruba police cadets searched a one-square-mile area around where the young woman was last known to be seen. Additional searches took place in March and April 2006, without result."

Her body has not been found.

--------------------

Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoops, I mislinked. I meant this one.

http://www.snopes.com/weddings/horrors/shanghai.asp

Technically it's not "white slavery" since it's a Japanese woman who disappears in a dressing room...but same idea, that disaster lurks in the most innocent-seeming of places. Also, with a creepy ending.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: Holloway.
How can it be the case that "she was believed to be dead via her kidnappers in custody" when there is no one in custody for her kidnapping? Are we talking about the same case?

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl

quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
Re: Holloway.
How can it be the case that "she was believed to be dead via her kidnappers in custody" when there is no one in custody for her kidnapping? Are we talking about the same case?

I think they are talking about statements from suspects that they have had in and out of custody since she disappeared.

--------------------

Zakor2
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zakor2   E-mail Zakor2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like someone playing a little fun with the name "Isla Mujeres" (and island off of Cancun, MX, and this person invented a story, which got told, and told...
Posts: 61 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SweetieBird
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SweetieBird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the topic of this thread and thought the third season of The Simple Life had been announced.

--------------------
"Bad grammar makes me [sic]" -- seen on a t-shirt

Posts: 319 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brrrtje

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brrrtje   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I spotted a reference to such an island in a Dutch novel once - it was supposed to be off the coast of Cuba somewhere. Reliable source? Hell no.
Posts: 142 | From: Netherlands | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall reading a story during the late 1970's in (eh..hem 'gentleman's magazine' Whitehouse, about a similar island, which was set up for the enjoyment of a select group of extremely rich people. Invitation only, strict secrecy.

Each member paid a vast some of money (IIRC £500,000 p.a.) to join the club, for which they could visit the island for so many weeks per year, and had unlimited use of the island's 'facilities'. Sort of a sex time-share.

The tale, although obvoiusly fictitious, was written by, or in the style of 'a visiting jounalist' who had been invited by a millionaire friend to accompany him.

I wonder if stories like the one I recall, or the one referenced by Brrrtje are the source of this rumour.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know there are "exotic"/adult resorts in the Caribbean. One of the bosses in my office thought it would be funny to circulate one of those via email and suggest everyone go on a retreat there.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Any chance you could mail me a brochure Lydia? [lol]

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, let me be clear, we didn't go on that retreat.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages