snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Mickey Mantle letter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mickey Mantle letter?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Letter here
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alterashley
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alterashley   E-mail Alterashley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading this was the best part of my day so far.

I love his response to "What do you want me to do with it...?" Ballsy!

--------------------
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

Posts: 40 | From: Magical Delaware | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh, that was great. Ah, the good old all American sport.
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the language and terminology correct for 1973?
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG When I read the first part of his response, I thought he meant FROM the Yankee's Bull Pen [Eek!]

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eif:
OMG When I read the first part of his response, I thought he meant FROM the Yankee's Bull Pen [Eek!]

Well, the Yankees did suck for most of the 70s!!!

Allow me [fish]

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy Joe:
Well, the Yankees did suck for most of the 70s!!!

Not just for most of the '70s. The Yankees just suck. Period.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lemon Demon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon Demon   E-mail Lemon Demon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
so, does that make being Gay as American as Apple pie?

--------------------
"Realizing that one could Time Travel within his own liftime, Dr. Sam Becket stepped into the Quantum leap accelerator...and Vanished."-Quantum Leap

Posts: 44 | From: Cameron Park, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GrandMal de Caesar
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GrandMal de Caesar   E-mail GrandMal de Caesar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mick's answer sounds about right. Remember this was the same guy who advertised about his fried chicken restaurant business,"The only way to get a better piece of chicken is to be a rooster."

[Eek!] At first I thought he meant the bullpen was giving him the blow job too.

--------------------
Blinded by the lite

Posts: 89 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Demon:

Maybe I missed the gay part... the letter clearly said that the partner was a "she"?

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, the signature is identical to the one in my autographed book, The Mick.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jack Dylan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jack Dylan   E-mail Jack Dylan       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander, the home game:
quote:

Maybe I missed the gay part... the letter clearly said that the partner was a "she"?
You need to read the two posts above that one.

--------------------
Eppis: Do you know why being a revolutionary doesn't work in this country? Being a revolutionary in America is like being a spoil sport at an orgy. All these goodies being passed around and you feel like a shit when you say no.

Posts: 294 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This goes into the I hope it's real file.

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Dylan:
quote:
quote:

I did... maybe I was too young in the 70's to get it.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Dylan:
quote:
quote:

I did... maybe I was too young in the 70's to get it.
They were thinking that the phrase "by the Yankee's bullpen" meant performed by the bullpen (people all of whom are male as was Mickey) not performed next to the bullpen by a woman. The commment was a joke based upon the misunderstanding.

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If that's not true, it should be.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LikeHeyScoob
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LikeHeyScoob   E-mail LikeHeyScoob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is just tremendous.

--------------------
Support you local community newspaper! CNN.com probably won't be covering your child's spelling bee.

Posts: 609 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
caj48224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caj48224   E-mail caj48224   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A perfect example of "Don't ask the question, if you may not like the answer."

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

Posts: 35 | From: Detroit, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages