snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Upper decking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Upper decking
Chris Penn Lover
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris Penn Lover   E-mail Chris Penn Lover   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is probably old news and has been explored on this board before. So forgive me if it is redundant.

Upper decking is supposedly the practice of um, depositting one's solids into the cistern of a toilet. In doing this, everytime the toilet is flushed consequently the toilet will refill with um, contaminated water. This ofcourse will not go on forever and the owner of said toilet may expediate the cleansing process by fishing the solid from the tank. Needless to say the whole affair is very unpleasant to anyone using the bathroom soon after the "event."

There is a site - FUDGE, 'Fighting Upper-Decking Goons with Education' that details the supposed phenomenon. It seems clear that this website is intended for entertainment purposes and may indeed have invented the whole idea itself. Even so, the idea is out there now and I'm sure more than one fratboy has tried the trick. My question is: has anyone on this board experienced first hand or heard of an "upper decking" happening to say, a friend's cousin's roommate.

Posts: 5 | From: Lynn, MA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ligeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ligeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when I worked in fast food I would fairly regularly find "solid waste" in the sink, the trash can, the urinal, or on the floor. I once even saw a man run from the restroom with his pants around his ankles, screaming about demons and leaving splatters of waste across the entire lobby. But this is the first I ever heard of "upper decking." Thank goodness I got out of that business before someone put that idea in people's heads.

--------------------
Fight evil diaper rash!

Posts: 196 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh.

That only reminds me of the most traumatic experience I ever had working in the grocery store. Which was, namely, the incident of a man with a colostomy bag...and it spilled all over the floor of the bathroom...and a co-worker and I had to pour bleach all over it and mop it up. Blech. I have horrible memories of it.

But never any "upper-decking" to speak of.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Penn Lover:

There is a site - FUDGE, 'Fighting Upper-Decking Goons with Education' that details the supposed phenomenon.

Pooping in the upper tank of a toilet is considered a "phenomenon"? Oooooook.

And taking into account the statement that "(Upperdecking) leaves friends and family in shards, and can wreck relationships"- I'd say it's pretty clear it's not a serious site.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YudanTaiteki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YudanTaiteki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A funnier (and less messy?) trick is to pour dishwashing liquid in the tank, then when the person flushes it, soap suds will go all over the bathroom. Of course this is juvenile as well but not quite as offensive as the upper decker, I don't think.
Posts: 333 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piyokochan
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piyokochan   E-mail piyokochan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YudanTaiteki:
A funnier (and less messy?) trick is to pour dishwashing liquid in the tank, then when the person flushes it, soap suds will go all over the bathroom. Of course this is juvenile as well but not quite as offensive as the upper decker, I don't think.

Oooooooooh. Thanks for the idea. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Shakespeare and Dante divide the world between them. There is no third." - T. S. Eliot

Posts: 77 | From: New Milford, CT | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once um "saw" some teenagers dump a few bottles of cheap dishwashing liquid into a fountain in the center of the city where I live the next day there was like a ton of sude in there.

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by YudanTaiteki:

A funny combination of the two is to mix together some food colouring to make a deep, gross brown colour, pour that into the cistern, and then add dish soap. Brown goopy suds pouring into the toilet bowl are enough to make anyone take pause. And perhaps vomit.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mapleleaf is a bad, bad influence. I like that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I once um "saw" some teenagers dump a few bottles of cheap dishwashing liquid into a fountain in the center of the city where I live the next day there was like a ton of sude in there.
Happens all the time here, especially in a fountain in the middle of a roundabout. Darn near crashed there once due to the soapy road, as the foam had been blown all over the place by the wind.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
Happens all the time here, especially in a fountain in the middle of a roundabout. Darn near crashed there once due to the soapy road, as the foam had been blown all over the place by the wind.
It's a common prank in Marburg, germany, too. My hometown is a University town, and graduating students like to leave a mark that way.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
graduating students like to leave a mark that way.
Yep, the foam season is near.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The judge to the defendant: "Are you aware how much it cost to clean the fountain after your so called prank?"

"But, sir! It was a detergent, wasn't it?"

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander with cheese on rye:
Mapleleaf is a bad, bad influence. I like that. [Big Grin]

I try [Smile]

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a large fountain in the middle of my town that has different colored lights lit up in it at night, and kids are frequently dumping detergent in it.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nod
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nod     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A FOAF told me that a bottle of dishwashing liquid (Fairy) would fill a laundrette with suds. He was right, it does!

--------------------
Many a True Word Spoken in Jest!

Posts: 73 | From: Devon, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
usbunch
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for usbunch     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Before he was fired, the "Greaseman" a DC disk jockey, frequently talked about upper decking someone.
Posts: 7 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few weeks into my first job in high school I was given a mop, pail, bleach and gloves by the manager. He told me to clean up the Men's room.

Upon opening the stall I was horrified and amazed to find a real work of art. Someone had taken a dump on the floor and then strung toilet paper in a web throughout the stall.

Had it not occured years previous to the movie, I'd have compared it to the scene in Silence of the Lambs when that security guard was splayed open and hung up for display.

Truly, there was an artist at work.

BTW, I held that job for several more years. Poop cleaners have job security [Smile]

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missy_pooh1997
Cauliflower Ears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missy_pooh1997   E-mail Missy_pooh1997   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good God!!! I thought I had heard it all. Who would think to do such a disgusting thing and for what reason?!?!?

--------------------
"People do it everyday, they talk to themselves...they see themselves as they'd like to be,they dont have the courage you have, to just run with it".

Posts: 150 | From: St. Louis area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They put dish soap in the fountian in Ft. Collins, Colorado. So says my brother that lives there

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A certain gated retirement community a few miles from here has a large ornamental waterfall at its main entrance. Every few years the waterfall is soaped, and every time a small clot of suds remains in the center of the pool (above the drain) for weeks afterward.

Restaurant supply houses, such as Smart&Final, offer industrial-sized (half-liter and liter) bottles of vegetable coloring in all the standard colors, if for any reason this is of interest to anyone.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zero
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero   E-mail Zero   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read about upper decking on www.manscat.com a few months ago.

I WAS CURIOUS! (it's a curse) [Razz]

"Farming" was more disturbing. That’s when the poop fetishist puts a device in a toilet so the poo doesn’t get flushed down, and they can collect turds from public loos.

Posts: 54 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is that a akin to sabotaging ATM machines to get peoples cards?

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages