snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » Embolism from oral sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Embolism from oral sex?
Equestrian Eke
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 103 posted      Profile for Equestrian Eke   E-mail Equestrian Eke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read that while giving oral sex, if you blow into a vagina or penis, or have sex too hard, you can blow air into the bloodstream and give someone an embolism and kill them.
Sounds fake to me...but is this possible?

Posts: 36 | From: Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess anything is possible but I don't think the genital mucous membranes are that gas permeable.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if you blew really really really hard, you could rupture something, but I doubt this would translate to air in the bloodstream. AFAIK, the only way to get that result is to puncture a vein/artery and blow air directly in there, not simply blowing in a general direction and hoping it finds its way through a pre-existing wound.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTR reading in textbook that if you blow directly into a vagina, you can cause vaginitis/vaginosis. (It's been a long time since I read it.)

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
interupt
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 23 posted      Profile for interupt   E-mail interupt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Surprisingly yes its it true but very rare, and statistics are hard to come by.

The precursors are;
1. Blood vessels in the vagina or uterus have to be engorged, usually through pregnancy or just after giving birth.
2. The vulva/vagina has to be completely sealed so that no air can escape
3. Air has to be blown in hard.

I certainly doubt that this can be done in the course of casual oral sex though, unless you are into the 'da kinky stuff' and I'm guessing blowing into the vagina would be pretty uncomfortable, let alone just after giving birth. Im sure the guy would take a quick belt to the left ear in any case.

These links are the better ones for not going overboard and make you feel like you need to have sex in a vaccuum.
My Pleasure

Go Ask Alice

Posts: 64 | From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Possible, but not very likely. Or we would all have to quit one of our favorite pastimes.
http://www.sfbg.com/38/21/x_alt_sex_column.html

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Equestrian Eke:
I read that while giving oral sex, if you blow into a vagina or penis, or have sex too hard, you can blow air into the bloodstream and give someone an embolism and kill them.
Sounds fake to me...but is this possible?

Uh, if you're blowing into the vagina...you're doing it wrong [lol]

That does remind me of a story I heard from a friend who, in high school, had to instruct his girlfriend that a blow job does not actually involve blowing. [Razz]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Konstantine [Echelon]
Baby Ruth, I Need Your Lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantine [Echelon]     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Usually an embolism is a blood clot that "breaks off" into the blood stream.

Sometimes they can be caused by air bubbles, but it is really rare.

--------------------
It's to dying in another's arms and why I had to try it. It's to Jimmy Eat World and those nights in my car, when the first star you see may not be a star...

Left Field Envy
CHICAGO WHITE SOX 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

Posts: 241 | From: Chicago, White Sox Town | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While compressed air can get into the blood stream and pose a danger, it usually take much higher pressure. Compressed air is considered one of the most dangerous tools in a workshop, but I seriously doubt anyone would stick that in any orifice. I seriously doubt lung power will be enough.

Also, the risk of small air bubbles is to a large extent a myth. The once so omnipresent "making sure there is no air in the syringe before giving an injection by squirting out some of the contents" has in most cases given way to a visual inspection where a small amount of air is accepted.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Equestrian Eke
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Equestrian Eke   E-mail Equestrian Eke   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read about this in Chuck Palahniuk's book, Lullaby
Posts: 36 | From: Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Uh, if you're blowing into the vagina...you're doing it wrong
I have had several bfs who like to blow gently on the skin, so I could someone thinking blowing on the vagina or penis might be nice, even if they knew oral sex didn't involve actual blowing. (Personally, I don't think it would be, but...)

I actually read about this phenomena in a Dave Barry book of all places, the one he wrote about computers in the late '90s.

--NewZer0

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages