snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » NFBSK » KUNT-FM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KUNT-FM
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Has the FCC ever issued broadcast station call letters that spell
or sound like dirty words, i.e. that most
Germanic of all female epithets? There's a freelance TV photographer in
Las Vegas who swears on another Web site that the University of North
Texas owned KNTU-FM broadcast as
KUNT-FM as recently as 1992. What's the real story regarding those call
letters and others?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rokatesh
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rokatesh   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rokatesh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I currently can't find any at:
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?

But that doesn't show historical information.

--------------------
Shannon (aka Rokatesh)

Posts: 53 | From: Aztec, NM | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to this article KNTU has been KNTU since it's inception in 1969 and, incidentally, the University of North Texas did not become so named until 1981. Prior to that it was North Texas State University. Being that the school was not called UNT when the station was founded, I doubt the call letters KUNT were ever in consideration, at least not seriously.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite on the level as that, but there was once a WSEX in Arlington Heights, IL that causes a furor. The call letters were adopted in the early 1980s at about the same time as the FCC abandoned its policy of requiring that call letters be in "good taste."

Thanks.

Bill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the FCC database there is a KLIT FM 92.7 in Avalon, CA.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably a a college station, originally named by the English department.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToddLB

The KUNT joke has been kicking around North Texas ever since the school became UNT. We do have a Christian station in the market with the call letters KLTY. Make your own jokes. I know I do.
Bill

quote:
Originally posted by zman977:

Until recently it was known as "Lite 92.7/fm" (according to a press release on their site), and surely that's why the letters were selected. Nothing really vulgar about that; certainly they weren't using the swear word on the air or giggling about the call letters.

http://www.927jillfm.com/

Thanks.

Bill

Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ToddLB:
We do have a Christian station in the market with the call letters KLTY.

Yep....KLTY, safe and fun for the whole family!

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First Amongst Daves
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First Amongst Daves   Author's Homepage   E-mail First Amongst Daves   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the same note, Curtin University of Technology here in Perth was almost allegedly called "Curtin University of New Technology", until someone thought about the acronym.

--------------------
Dave's boards:

incandescent

Posts: 255 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a UNT alum and boy does that KNTU vs. KUNT discussion bring back memories. [Roll Eyes] And I listened to KLTY when I lived there and I never once thought anything dirty of the call letters. You pervs!

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My employer almost became CLIT...

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tomcat
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tomcat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tomcat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We've got a KLT (actually WKLT, but they just go by KLT) in Michigan (Traverse City).

edit- Oh yeah, we've also got a KOQ.

--------------------
www.audiowaveprod.com

You can go 'round the world,
You can go 'round the block.
But all I want to hear,
Is some '55 rock...

*Cub Koda

Posts: 170 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PhiloPharynx
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PhiloPharynx   E-mail PhiloPharynx   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 80's in Santa Cruz, CA there was a station KOME. They had two particularly interesting blurbs:

"Don't touch that dial! There's KOME on it."

and

"Isn't it great to wake up with Kome in your ear?"

Posts: 64 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AmyDoll
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyDoll   E-mail AmyDoll   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about WHFS?? Now a Latin station in Balt/Wash

Def. the online abbreviation for H*LY F*(*(ing Sh**

AmyDoll

Posts: 8 | From: VA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 201 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Turns out there's a station in El Jebel, CO (operating under a Construction Permit) as uses the call KCUF-FM (which, on closer inspection, is actually the F-word, spelled backwards).

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AmyDoll:

Now we're pushing the envelope...
[Big Grin] You could probably make dirty phrases out of every set of call letters if you tried hard enough...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lotta Palaver
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Lotta Palaver         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by l'Agent IXE-13:
Turns out there's a station in El Jebel, CO (operating under a Construction Permit) as uses the call KCUF-FM (which, on closer inspection, is actually the F-word, spelled backwards).

KCUF is also mentioned in Thomas Pynchion's The Crying of Lot 49. Mucho Maas is a DJ there.

--------------------
Your ultimate source of superfluous flummery.

Posts: 595 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gudrin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gudrin   E-mail gudrin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In western Minnesota, one of the college radio stations is KUMM, and another station around here is KKOK, so people like to make jokes about that. Other than that, I haven't really heard much about this type of thing. I've always figured that it must happen.

--------------------
Hey look! A shiny new post!

Posts: 125 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 211 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AmyDoll:

AmyDoll

How could you forget the late, great "easy listening" station from Silver Spring, MD...which had its call letters spelled out in big letters on the side of the building...WGAY

What is scary is how many George Washington students listened to this station as they were falling asleep...

Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At first, I read KKOK as "'kay 'kay okay". Then I figured it out. I'm still not enitrely sure what's offensive about KLTY. Is "clitty" a word I'm unaware of?

Wonder if there's a WHOR or WANK?

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oldcards

In Chattanooga, TN, there is a country station: WUSY 101FM. We always joked it was the station for wimps.
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
At first, I read KKOK as "'kay 'kay okay". Then I figured it out. I'm still not enitrely sure what's offensive about KLTY. Is "clitty" a word I'm unaware of?

Wonder if there's a WHOR or WANK?

Aha, time to plug one of my favorite sources for slang I'm unfamiliar with:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=clitty

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm quite familiar with the term clit, but I've never heard it called a "clitty".

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:

The problem with KLIT is that it's little hard to find on your radio dial.
Never mind, I'll get it [fish]

Actually the station has recently changed from "Lite FM" to "Jill FM" (as opposed to the new "Jack FM" stations.). More info.

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 201 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
...Wonder if there's a WHOR or WANK?

None with those particular calls I could find; the closest to either was WHNK-AM in Parkersburg, WV.

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages