snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » 'Tis the season to soften logic with sentiment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Tis the season to soften logic with sentiment
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sometimes I think I'm really two people. One part of me is relentlessly pragmatic, reasonable and logical. That's not necessarily a bad thing, except when it gets in the way of the magic that can be found in everyday life. The confounding counterpart is that another part of me is just as relentlessly sentimental, emotional and hopeful.

Here's an example. I can't read an e-mail that cries out for help regarding a lost child without immediately hopping onto Snopes.com to check it out. (They're always fake, by the way.) I also find myself reading e-mails that contain heartwarming stories of love, fellowship and encouragement; the kind people often send to friends and family with the best intentions. Deep down, I'm glad they include me in their list of those who will enjoy the story; they're mostly right about that. Yet, even as I read it, I think (in my logical way), do I have time for this today? God knows I'd rarely seek these things out on my own.

That's why when I read a holiday story a few days ago, I couldn't figure out why I stopped on it in the first place. I had little doubt I'd be left wallowing in sappy Christmas schmaltz. Without going into every detail, the story told of a young boy who comes to understand the spirit of Christmas. In an effort to prove that Santa Claus is real, his grandmother gives him $10 and drives him to a store, telling him to "buy something for someone who needs it."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A glurge with a reference to Snopes and a glurge that has been referenced on snopes. I think all of that circularity is going to make my head explode! [Eek!]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sometimes I think I'm really two people.
Perhaps this is something you should discuss with a professional.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes i feel like a little teepee; sometimes i feel like a big wigwam. My doctor tells me i'm too tense.
Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it as:

I'm a teepee, no I'm a wigwam, I'm a teepee, I'm a wigwam...

Dr: Psychologically, you're two tents.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages