snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Who Put the Skunk in the Trunk?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who Put the Skunk in the Trunk?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Life's surprises rarely give ample warning. Just ask Patricia and Christopher Smith. When the couple and their two sons checked into a Maryland Comfort Inn recently, they were hoping for a warm bed, a hot bath, and maybe a few extra shampoo bottles to sneak home.

What they got was a whole lot more than they paid for.

At 1:30 A.M., Christopher awoke and got up to turn off the television. That's when he noticed that the carpet was moving. Now, if you spend any time at all in hotels, you know that this is rarely a good sign. The carpet, as it turned out, was a live ten-foot boa constrictor, which to the best of Christopher's knowledge had not been featured in the hotel's promotional literature.

At this point, he had three options:

1. Wake his wife and ask, "Honey, do you mind getting my slippers? They're in the bathroom."

2. Try to go back to sleep.

3. Check out early.

The Smiths went with option number three without bothering to check beneath the bed for forgotten items. Then they called the police. The snake was later cornered and forced into a large trash can, but not before the Smiths were cornered and forced to spend the night at a nearby 7-Eleven. Describing it as "a terrible ordeal" (they'll get no argument from me), the couple sought therapy, then filed a $1.5 million lawsuit against the motel's parent corporation, charging "negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress."

I have to admit that, like the Smiths, I'm not real fond of reptiles. In third grade, I watched a friend put a salamander down Mrs. Hill's blouse (if you're reading this, Mrs. Hill, I trust you will remember my finer points and not seek legal counsel), but I didn't want to touch that salamander. I merely supplied the idea. But the best impractical joke I ever had the joy of participating in was launched when my friend Bobby and I managed to get a skunk into our neighbor's trunk.

If you are hoping to perform this feat at some point in your career, three ingredients are essential:

1. One skunk (preferably deceased).

2. One set of car keys hanging from your neighbor's ignition.

3. Complete and utter darkness. Now Mr. Finney was our third-grade Sunday school teacher at the time and he was just about the most nervous person I ever had the pleasure of sneezing behind. He was also a fine accordian player, and he carried a beeper-something I thought was optimistic for an accordian player.

On Saturdays, Mr. Finney polished his late model Ford Fairlane until he could hardly see the initials the neighbor kids had etched into the hood. Mr. Finney was a particular man. He shined just about everything to which he was attached, and you rarely saw him with so much as a cuff link out of place. Though we didn't know it, this was the eve of the Finney family vacation. Mr. and Mrs. Finney and their children, Joshua and Josiah, had carefully organized and packed everything they would need to have a peaceful holiday, free from the worries and cares of our small town.

As they slept, Bobby and I lay the skunk in its final resting place, cautiously shut the lid, replaced the car keys, and tiptoed to our homes to answer questions about the smell. Morning arrives early when you are small, so we were wide awake in time to creep back to the Finney house and wait behind a blue spruce tree. Before long, an unsuspecting Finney family filed down their front walk and climbed aboard the Fairlane, anticipation etched on their eager faces.

What happened next I will carry with me into old age.

Mr. Finney started the car and revved the engine. Then he slipped her into gear. After a tight U-turn and about thirty feet of gravel, the car screeched to a halt, spewing stones in all directions. Inside, Mr. Finney glared at his wife with a wrinkled expression. Then he turned to the children with an accusing glance. Finally he thrust open the shiny door and sniffed the air. By the time the key was in the trunk, he had his suspicions. By the time he opened it, they were confirmed. Whatever glue had held the man together until this point in his life seemed to lose its grip then. Slamming the lid down, he stood with clenched fists, kicking the bumper, his language matching the color of his car-a deep blue. We watched from behind the spruce tree, Bobby and I, wondering if we should laugh. Or cry. Or go tell our mothers.

Later that summer I was informed that the Finneys were relocating. No one quite knew why.

No one but Bobby and I.

What Mr. Finney, Mrs. Hill, and the Smiths discovered during those unforgettable moments is something that all of us humans learn as we walk through this life: Sometimes the room service is suspect. Sometimes life slithers. And sometimes it stinks. What I have realized in the ensuing years is that there is a time for every single one of us when a skunk gets into our trunk. When something comes along that we definitely would not have chosen. But what is it that separates those who slam the lid, kick the bumper, and curse from those who are somehow able to find some humor in that situation? Perhaps many years later?

Certainly the first step involves a conscious decision to choose the right attitude. And choosing the right attitude always involves making the right moral choices.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like how suddenly in the last paragraph, the skunk becomes the active party: "the skunk gets into the trunk", as though it had done it by itself, or had suddenly materialized there out of thin air.

The story boils down to:

"I maliciously ruined a neighbor's carefully planned, eagerly awaited vacation. I ruined it not only for him, but for his entire family. I rendered everything they had packed unusable. I rendered their car unfit to ride in. Not for any particular reason, but just because I could, and because I didn't like him. And his failure to find humor in this is his fault."

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly. What is this, Chicken Soup for the Sociopathic Soul?

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What an utterly vile and hateful human being.

Methinks whoever wrote this is one of the bullies we were all kvetching about in the bullying thread.

What's that little thing about the "right" moral choices at the end? It seems to be more directed at the man who is upset that his car and vacation is ruined than at himself for being a mean and unrepentant little vandal.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else have this song going through their head?

You got your dead skunk in the middle of the road
Stinkin' to high heaven...

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree with all above, but as well, what does the snake story have to do with this? I expected some kind of link with the skunk and snake stories.

I suspect this is a snippet of a longer diatribe on 'people today', where it becomes apparant later why the snake story was there.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

You got it, it's dead, it's in the middle, AND IT'S STINKIN' TO HIGH HEAVEN! And so, coincedentally, is this glurge. I mean, more so than usual.
Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:

No, I didn't. Not until now. Thanks, Cervus. Sheesh. [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Life's surprises rarely give ample warning. Just ask Patricia and Christopher Smith.

Look how many Patricia Smiths there are. Oh NFBSK. And a whole bunch of Christopher Smiths, too!

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let me guess, these people are friends with the psycho couch lady?

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bajacalla
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bajacalla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"But what is it that separates those who slam the lid, kick the bumper, and curse from those who are somehow able to find some humor in that situation? Perhaps many years later?

Certainly the first step involves a conscious decision to choose the right attitude. And choosing the right attitude always involves making the right moral choices."

huh? the people who perpetrate dirty jokes are of higher moral fiber than those who are perpetrated on?

--------------------
"pardon me, I swallowed down the wrong throat."

Posts: 27 | From: Albuquerque, New Mexico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmallTownKid
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallTownKid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this has to my favorite part:

quote:
That's when he noticed that the carpet was moving. Now, if you spend any time at all in hotels, you know that this is rarely a good sign.
Yes, one must have spent time in a hotel to realise that the carpet moving is a bad thing! [lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."

"Doesn't 'Frollo' sound like a delicious hobbit chocolate?"--Amanda F.

Posts: 107 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So...the family should've stayed in the motel room with the snake? Because...laughing at the snake was the right moral choice...and...uh...right.

So was Christ the skunk? And what was Mr. Finney? Some sort of horrible pagan? I mean, the guy was a Sunday school teacher! And *he* gets punished?

Creepy story.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SmallTownKid said:
Yes, one must have spent time in a hotel to realise that the carpet moving is a bad thing! [lol] [lol] [lol]

I stayed in a hotel in Amsterdam once and the floor was moving. That didn't seem to be a bad thing.

(Actually on that particular occasion, I can only imagine that the floor was moving from friends' reports. One guy did say that Einstein was looking at him from a knothole in the wood, but luckily he found it pretty funny, so I guess he's going to heaven. Do you think it makes a difference that he's Sikh?)

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
[QB]

At this point, he had three options:

1. Wake his wife and ask, "Honey, do you mind getting my slippers? They're in the bathroom."

2. Try to go back to sleep.

3. Check out early.

The Smiths went with option number three without bothering to check beneath the bed for forgotten items. Then they called the police. The snake was later cornered and forced into a large trash can, but not before the Smiths were cornered and forced to spend the night at a nearby 7-Eleven. QB]

So rather than ringing reception to report a snake in their room, they called the police - who apparently don't call pest control, they just put snakes in bins - , then they moved out of the hotel rather than asking for another room? And isn't a 7-eleven a shop? And why did *they* call the police, not the hotel workers?

Argh this is one of those emails that makes me want to throw things.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
Agree with all above, but as well, what does the snake story have to do with this? I expected some kind of link with the skunk and snake stories.

I suspect this is a snippet of a longer diatribe on 'people today', where it becomes apparant later why the snake story was there.

I think the snake story was included because this sociopath was the one who put the snake in the room. Maybe this is a hobby of theirs, going around putting animals in places where they don't belong and then comparing the way people handle them to the way they handle all of life's situations. What's next, a tiger in a classroom?
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 202 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who put the skunk in the trunk the trunk the trunk?
Who cut the fart in the car the car the car?
Who in the heck?
I'd like to wring his neck!
He made me toss my cookies on the floor!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
Maybe this is a hobby of theirs, going around putting animals in places where they don't belong and then comparing the way people handle them to the way they handle all of life's situations. What's next, a tiger in a classroom?

Snakes on a plane, of course!

--------------------
"Do not dance on the sand"

Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatcha gonna do with all that skunk?
All that skunk in your trunk?
I'm gonna go, gonna go get drunk
And kill that practical jokin' punk!
My trunk! My trunk!
Gonna kill dat punk! Dat punk!

Honestly! Other kids have keyed initials in his car, now this idiot puts a dead skunk in it, and he can't figure out why the "nervous" guy blows a gasket instead of laughing at the situation?

And yes, I am equally confused how it's just like the snake situation. (Unless the message is "God like to play crappy practical jokes on you".)

Trish "And then there was a dead hooker in the bed" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages