snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Can You Help Me Find Jesus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can You Help Me Find Jesus?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently my five year old boy came into the room with a look of desperation and exasperation on his face.

Before I could even ask him the obligatory parenting question, “what’s wrong?”, he cried out, “Can you help me find Jesus?”

Needless to say, I was caught off guard. I certainly wasn’t expecting this question at this particular moment in time. Could my little guy really be asking me about salvation? He had shown no signs of genuine interest in “spiritual” things at his young age.

Nonetheless, I was ready to share the Gospel with him. You could tell I was ready by my deeply theological response...

“Huh?”

Jacob repeated, “Can you help me find Jesus? I’ve lost the Jesus card.”

Then I realized what he was talking about. We have a discipleship game that has cardboard pieces. One of the gamepieces is a small card that has the word “Jesus” printed on it, and apparently it was missing.

“Yes, I sure can.” With a little bit of pointing in the right direction, Jacob soon found the Jesus card he was looking for. (And I continue to long for the day when He finds THE Jesus as Savior of His life!)

You know, it’s not only Jacob, but there are countless others who walk into our lives with that same look of desperation and exasperation on their faces.

They may never utter the words with their lips, but surely if we listen, we can hear their very lives crying out to us, “Can you help me find Jesus?”

That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard.

That obnoxious co-worker that no one can stand is crying out. So is the friendly, moral grandmother who always does everything just right.

There are teachers and students, husbands and wives, employees and employers, teammates and coaches. There are close friends and casual acquaintances. There’s the clerk at Wal-Mart, the barber, and the librarian. The guy standing next to you in the elevator and the girl in front of you in the grocery store checkout line.

They’re crying out with their lives, “Can you help me find Jesus?”

How will we respond? Will we nod our heads politely, maybe offer a puzzled “huh” and move on with our busy lives? Or, will we point them in the right direction and lead them to Jesus?!

There are people all around us, desperate and exasperated, just like my son Jacob.

Only they’re not looking for a piece of cardboard, they’re looking for peace of mind. They’re not searching for something missing from a game, they’re searching for something missing from their lives. It’s not a part to fill the void in a boardgame, but rather it’s a Savior to fill that Godshaped hole in their dry, thirsty souls.

They’re crying out, “Can you help me find Jesus?” May we be ready with an answer: “Yes, I sure can!”

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
(And I continue to long for the day when He finds THE Jesus as Savior of His life!)

Wait ... when "He" finds Jesus? But, isn't "He" (with a capital "H") Jesus? I'm confused. Jesus can't find himself?

So, the moral of this story seems to be that if anyone asks a question, they're looking for Jesus.

my boss: When are you going to have that report to me?
me: Sure, boss, I'll help you find Jesus!

passenger: What time is the train into the city?
conductor: Sure, I'll help you find Jesus!

Kosh: Who are you?
Sheridan: Sure, I'll help you find Jesus!

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can you help me find Jesus?
I didn't know He was missing.

Ba DUM bump.

No wait, I'll get it -- [fish]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumpersticker I've seen:

"I found Jesus. He was behind the sofa the whole time."

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Then I realized what he was talking about. We have a discipleship game that has cardboard pieces.

Is this game like battleship?
"Deuteronomy, 3:18!"
"Hit! You sank Peter! (Like a stone!)

quote:
It’s not a part to fill the void in a boardgame, but rather it’s a Savior to fill that Godshaped hole in their dry, thirsty souls.
Godshaped hole? I want to start a band, just to name it that.
Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That obnoxious co-worker that no one can stand is crying out.
And once he's got Jesus as a friend, you won't need to talk to him again. Everybody wins!

quote:
So is the friendly, moral grandmother who always does everything just right.
Wouldn't she already be a Christian in glurgeland? Surely she can't be a friendly, moral atheist who always does everything just right?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does this horrible sinner know that *all* card games are of the Devil ?

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Yleemjseg
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yleemjseg   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh oh! And wouldn't having a large godshaped hole make me holier than thou?

Hee hee!

Posts: 225 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yleemjseg:
Oh oh! And wouldn't having a large godshaped hole make me holier than thou?

Hee hee!

I'm laughing so danged hard... but that's still oh so very fish-worthy. [fish]

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

quote:
There are people all around us, desperate and exasperated, just like my son Jacob.

Hey, if you had a parent who created glurge like this, you'd be desperate and exasperated too. [Big Grin]

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "I found Jesus at the 5 & dime" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he is under my bed. That was where I last heard his name......

guru "Ok.... I lied.... it was over the checkbook" wan2b

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] Guru...

That made me think of Bill Cosby's bit about Jesus Christ and Goddamnit.

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To everyone in this thread:
Mocha Frappuchinos are not meant to be snorted!

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
“Can you help me find Jesus?”
The restraining order says no, leave him the NFBSK alone already.

But the romantic in me says yes.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if there's also a Satan card. I can't imagine what would happen if the freak who wrote the OP had his son come in to say: "Can you help me find Satan? I can't play if I don't have Satan!"

I reckon it'd be the bell, book and candle for sure.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, El Guapo is a big, dangerous man who wants to kill us. But as sure as my name is Lucky Day, the people of Santa Poco can conquer their own personal El Guapo, who also happens to be the actual El Guapo!

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SheepOfDoom
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheepOfDoom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few simple substitutions can make this much more interesting:

======
Recently my five year old boy came into the room with a look of desperation and exasperation on his face.

Before I could even ask him the obligatory parenting question, “what’s wrong?”, he cried out, “Can you help me find my semi-automatic?”

Needless to say, I was caught off guard. I certainly wasn’t expecting this question at this particular moment in time. Could my little guy really be asking me about fire-arms? He had shown no signs of genuine interest in shooting things at his young age.

Nonetheless, I was ready to share my collection with him. You could tell I was ready by my response...

“Huh?”

Jacob repeated, “Can you help me find my semi-automatic? I’ve lost the semi-automatic that clips onto the drug dealer”

Then I realized what he was talking about. We have a grand theft auto game that has plastic pieces. One of the gamepieces is a small semi-automatic that has the word “Gangsta” printed on it, and apparently it was missing.

“Yes, I sure can.” With a little bit of pointing in the right direction, Jacob soon found the gun piece he was looking for. (And I continue to long for the day when He finds THE true joy of heavy munitions!)

You know, it’s not only Jacob, but there are countless others who walk into our lives with that same look of desperation and exasperation on their faces.

They may never utter the words with their lips, but surely if we listen, we can hear their very lives crying out to us, “Can you help me find a gun?”

That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard.

That obnoxious co-worker that no one can stand is crying out. So is the friendly, moral grandmother who always does everything just right.

There are teachers and students, husbands and wives, employees and employers, teammates and coaches. There are close friends and casual acquaintances. There’s the clerk at Wal-Mart, the barber, and the librarian. The guy standing next to you in the elevator and the girl in front of you in the grocery store checkout line.

They’re crying out with their lives, “Can you help me find a gun?”

How will we respond? Will we nod our heads politely, maybe offer a puzzled “huh” and move on with our busy lives? Or, will we point them in the right direction and lead them to a black market gun dealer?!

Only they’re not looking for a piece of plastic, they’re just looking for a piece. They’re not searching for something missing from a game, they’re searching for something missing from their lives. It’s not a part to fill the void in a boardgame, but rather it’s a weapon to fill that Uzishaped hole in the belt around their saggy pants.

They’re crying out, “Can you help me find a gun?” May we be ready with an answer: “Yes, I sure can!”
=============

Sheep

Posts: 8 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could buy some religious nutter thinking I'm crying out with my life "I need to find Jesus", but one thing I sure as hell am NOT crying out is "come and tell me about your Jesus friend".

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

ALRIGHT, WE GET IT, EVERYONE'S CRYING OUT! JEEZE!
Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yleemjseg:
quote:
It’s not a part to fill the void in a boardgame, but rather it’s a Savior to fill that Godshaped hole in their dry, thirsty souls.
Godshaped hole? I want to start a band, just to name it that.
Its got to be a punk band though, it wouldn't really work as a country and western band.
Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I spoonerismed that as a hole-shaped god and almost philosophied my head into exploding.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Randa Roo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randa Roo   E-mail Randa Roo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
“Can you help me find Jesus?”
The restraining order says no, leave him the NFBSK alone already.

But the romantic in me says yes.

Canuck, don't you know that restraining orders are just another way of saying 'I love you?'

--------------------
'I'm the decider... I decide what's best.'

Posts: 403 | From: Branson, Missouri | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Randa Roo:
Canuck, don't you know that restraining orders are just another way of saying 'I love you?'

"See? Even the judge agrees with me.

You don't want to disappoint the judge, do you? Now kiss me!"

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Then I realized what he was talking about. We have a discipleship game that has cardboard pieces. One of the gamepieces is a small card that has the word “Jesus” printed on it, and apparently it was missing.

I feel really bad for this kid. Didn't they have any fun games? I mean, he's five. What about Candyland and Trouble and Snakes 'n Ladders? Knowing this family, it's probably Paradisio and Eternal Damnation and Snake Handlin' 'n Money Lending.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is so becoming my new sig line.

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 304 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemis:
Didn't they have any fun games? I mean, he's five. .

FUN??!!! FUN??!!! Having fun is a satanic activity that only godless heathens participate in! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Dawn--It might lead to dancing!--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out.
This recluse who lives down the road only cries out when these cretinous yahoos knock on my door and ask if I know Jesus.

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no Jesus, only Zuul.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kmcm
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kmcm   Author's Homepage   E-mail kmcm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by I'mNotDedalus:
There is no Jesus, only Zuul.

Is he king of the penguins?

--------------------
Of course this land is dangerous! All of the animals are capably murderous. Especially the penguins.

i'm a figment of my own imagination, sometimes i don't exist

Posts: 1099 | From: Kitsap County, WA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kid Kilowatt
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Kilowatt   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The "drunkard"? What about the cardsharp, the fellow down the lane with dropsy, and the smithy's wife?

--------------------
The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
- Magnolia

Posts: 252 | From: East Greenwich, RI, what! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or for that matter, the smithy himself. As if I care anymore. Or like I ever cared.
Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Beastly Despot
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beastly Despot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Beastly Despot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I don't know about them wanting to see Jesus, but let me tell you: They don't want to see your penis. Man, don't even get me started....

/quickly shuts off computer because probation officer is knocking on the door/

quote:
Originally posted by atimnie:
quote:

ALRIGHT, WE GET IT, EVERYONE'S CRYING OUT! JEEZE!

--------------------
"I have a cunning plan"

Posts: 287 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, I was half expecting the old "Jesus is missing and they think we did it." joke.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like this kid's board game was lent to him by Ned Flanders.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages