snopes.com
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » The "W" in Christmas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "W" in Christmas
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 219 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Enjoy the glurgey goodness. - franjava

The "W" in Christmas

Each December, I vowed to make Christmas a calm and peaceful
experience.
I had cut back on nonessential obligations - extensive card writing,
endless baking, decorating, and even overspending. Yet still, I found
myself exhausted, unable to appreciate the precious family moments, and
of course, the true meaning of Christmas.
My son, Nicholas, was in kindergarten that year. It was an exciting
season for a six year old. For weeks, he'd been memorizing songs for his
school's "Winter Pageant." I didn't have the heart to tell him I'd be
working the night of the production. Unwilling to miss his shining
moment, I spoke with his teacher.

She assured me there'd be a dress rehearsal the morning of the
presentation.

All parents unable to attend that evening were welcome to come then.
Fortunately, Nicholas seemed happy with the compromise.

So, the morning of the dress rehearsal, I filed in ten minutes early,
found a spot on the cafeteria floor and sat down. Around the room, I saw
several other parents quietly scampering to their seats. As I waited,
the students were led into the room. Each class, accompanied by their
teacher, sat cross-legged on the floor. Then, each group, one by one,
rose to perform their song.

Because the public school system had long stopped referring to the
holiday as "Christmas," I didn't expect anything other than fun,
commercial entertainment - songs of reindeer, Santa Claus, snowflakes
and good cheer. So, when my son's class rose to sing, "Christmas Love,"
I was slightly taken aback by its bold title.

Nicholas was aglow, as were all of his classmates, adorned in fuzzy
mittens, red sweaters, and bright snowcaps upon their heads. Those in
the front row- center stage - held up large letters, one by one, to
spell out the title of the song. As the class would sing "C is for
Christmas," a child would hold up the letter C. Then, "H is for Happy,"
and on and on, until each child holding up his portion had presented the
complete message, "Christmas Love."

The performance was going smoothly, until suddenly, we noticed her; a
small, quiet, girl in the front row holding the letter "M" upside down
totally unaware her letter "M" appeared as a "W". The audience of 1st
through 6th graders snickered at this little one's mistake. But she had
no idea they were laughing at her, so she stood tall, proudly holding
her "W".

Although many teachers tried to shush the children, the laughter
continued until the last letter was raised, and we all saw it together.
A hush came over the audience and eyes began to widen. In that instant,
we understood the reason we were there, why we celebrated the holiday in
the first place, why even in the chaos, there was a purpose for our
festivities.
For when the last letter was held high, the message read loud and
clear:
"C H R I S T W A S L O V E"

And, I believe, He still is.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The same - but with music and animated angels.

Enjoy! (Not)

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
When I first saw the title, I was expecting a "Thank God for the bold leadership of George W. Bush" type glurge. This isn't really too far off from that!

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmirkDirk
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmirkDirk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
You know, this is a bunch of crap. We went to my stepdaughters middle school Christmas concert last week and they sung a few songs with religious overtones and used the word "Christmas"... I can barely stand crap in and of itself, but crap based on a premise that's not even true really burns me up.
Posts: 44 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
When I first saw the title, I was expecting a "Thank God for the bold leadership of George W. Bush" type glurge. This isn't really too far off from that!
say what now?

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny T:
quote:
say what now?
There is a small, but extremely vocal group of Americans who think George W.M.D. Bush is literally a gift from God. They tend to be the same kind of people who feel persecuted because the USA is not a theocracy (hence the whining about how you can't say "Christmas" in public schools anymore, which as SmirkDirk pointed out is a bunch of crap). So although this glurge turned out not to be about Bush, the fact that it is about celebrating the joys of Christmas despite the eeeeeeeeevil libruls who want to take away Our American Way Of Life got me thinking it's along the same lines as what I initially expected.

--------------------

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Reglurgitation

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Dave -

the only bit of the glurge that references the supposed "war on Christmas" is:

quote:
Because the public school system had long stopped referring to the holiday as "Christmas," I didn't expect anything other than fun, commercial entertainment - songs of reindeer, Santa Claus, snowflakes and good cheer. So, when my son's class rose to sing, "Christmas Love," I was slightly taken aback by its bold title.
which only references it in passing, and even then isn't outright condemnatory - misinformed yes (in as much as it being the public school SYSTEM which has rejected the use of "christmas" - I don't doubt some individual schools have chosen to use other terms), but nothing approaching the outraged fury of the religious right.

basically, I don't see any way in which this is "about" the Liberal War On Christmas (tm), as oppose to being an apocryphal tale designed to warm the hearts of Christians from whatever background.

--------------------

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by franjava:

"C H R I S T W A S L O V E"

Was love?!?!?!?! Was love!?!?!?! This glurge can't even get Christian theology right!

No "was", the correct tense is present, so it is "IS love"!

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peccavimus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peccavimus   E-mail Peccavimus       Edit/Delete post 
Christ was love. But he's moved on, we've grown apart, we've become different people, and really -- aren't we just better as friends anyway?
Posts: 113 | From: DeKalb, IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny T:

which only references it in passing, and even then isn't outright condemnatory - misinformed yes (in as much as it being the public school SYSTEM which has rejected the use of "christmas" - I don't doubt some individual schools have chosen to use other terms), but nothing approaching the outraged fury of the religious right.

Mild yes, but to my eye, it's just a toned-down version of the same. Some quarters of the religious right are very good at couching their crazy beliefs in terms that sound much more reasonable than they really are. I think that snippet you quoted is a pretty good example of that.

--------------------

snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I see it Dave's way.

The persecution complex of the Christians in my area might be making my view a little jaded, but I get SO sick of that attitude that we are going against the TRUE intention of the founding fathers and of course Jesus by not imposing Christian beliefs on everyone by every means possible, it just flies all over me. Plus for some reason that batshit crazy AFA sends me emails and they are beyond hysterical. I mean, these people are NUTS.

And I am a Christian. But if my faith can't impress anyone on it's own merits, it doesn't deserve to.

edited

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Mild yes, but to my eye, it's just a toned-down version of the same. Some quarters of the religious right are very good at couching their crazy beliefs in terms that sound much more reasonable than they really are. I think that snippet you quoted is a pretty good example of that.
That the equivalent of saying a short story that contains the line "Bob had been unemployed for six months, since a black man stole his job at the car factory" is 'about' racism regardless of the rest of the content.

the story is set in a world that reflects the author's preconceptions. that does NOT automagically mean the promotion of those ideas is the aim of the story.

--------------------

NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

No "was", the correct tense is present, so it is "IS love"!

Yes, but we don't celebrate Christis at this time of year. Oh that's right, I need to turn a letter upside down. I'll choose the I - Christis. Dammit. Um, the S then - Christis. God Dammit!!!

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
Yes, but we don't celebrate Christis at this time of year.

You know, that is not a bad "new" name for this celebration. ChristIS has a nice ring to it...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages