snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Cross to Bear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cross to Bear
Brainy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Brainy   E-mail Brainy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually only get rehashed glurge that I initially read on here, but I got this today and did a search and couldn't find it so I thought I would share.

quote:
Is Your Cross too Heavy to Bear?

The young man was at the end of his rope. Seeing no way out, he dropped to
his knees in prayer. "Lord, I can't go on," he said. "I have too heavy a
cross
to bear."

The Lord replied, "My son, if you can't bear its weight, just place your
cross
inside this room. Then, open that other door and pick out any cross
you wish."

The man was filled with relief. Thank you, Lord," he sighed, and he did as
he was told. Upon entering the other door, he saw many crosses, some
so large the tops were not visible. Then, he spotted a tiny cross leaning
against a far wall. "I'd like that one, Lord," he whispered.

And the Lord replied, " My son, that is the cross you just brought in."

When life's problems seem overwhelming, it helps to look around and see
what other people are coping with. You may consider yourself far more
fortunate than you imagined. YOUR CROSS Whatever your cross, whatever your
pain.
There will always be sunshine after the rain.

Funny how you can send a thousand 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread
like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord
people think twice about sharing.

FUNNY, ISN'T IT? Are you laughing? Are you thinking? Spread the Word
and give thanks to the Lord for He is good! Funny isn't it when you go to
forward this message how many on your list are not receiving it because
you're
not sure they believe in anything?

Funny?.........Sad.

Similar "forward or make Jesus cry" statement of another glurge recently posted. Apparently originality doesn't exist in Glurgeville.
Posts: 13 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buckleupp
Away in a Manager

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buckleupp   E-mail Buckleupp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused about the physical layout of this room...if he had just set the cross against a wall, presumably, why is it now at the far wall? Is it the same room? I thought they were two different rooms? Is it the same room and a different dimension? Why does it look so tiny?

Funny how you send jokes through the mail and no one questions how a duck can talk, but when you start reading messages about Jesus' architecture, you start questioning things. Funny, huh? Funny, FUNNY??!!?? ANSWER ME!!!

--------------------
HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh...excluding that first Ha. -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 112 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"So why are you upset that your wife died? Somewhere a man lost his entire family. Suck it up you whiner."

Does this ever work?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think that "people have it worse than you, suck it up" works, no. But perhaps there is value in seeing the troubles of others. For example, if you've lost your nice house and car and now have to rent a dung-hole apartment, go volunteer for the homeless. Not to teach yourself a lesson, just because. But while there, you might start to value the dung-hole more.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There will always be sunshine after the rain.
Crap - sometimes for some people there's just endless driving rain until they die.

The world is not fair place - there is no universal 'balance' that rewards patience or goodness if you just persevere.

I can't tell you just how much this sort of nonsense infuriates me..

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as the room, remember that "with God, all things are possible". So maybe this room and the one behind it were designed by the architectural firm of Escher and Teal.

Theologically, though, it's crap. If I've had my wallet stolen by some punk, I don't need to hear that Donald Trump just lost billions of dollars between breakfast and lunch today. If I'm in the hospital with a collapsed lung, I don't need to be shown...oh, never mind.

I used to complain because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. I took his shoes!

Dog (It is, after all, a question of point of view) Friendly

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankenglurge in the making!

Here's the second part of that "wonderful" story.

And it's not the first time we've seen that.

Funny, isn't it?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brainy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainy   E-mail Brainy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
FUNNY, ISN'T IT? Are you laughing? Are you thinking?
WELL ARE YOU!!? Because if you're not we WILL send Jesus over there. Damn religious freedom. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Funny how you can send a thousand 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread
like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord
people think twice about sharing.

Yeah. 'Cause jokes are funny. And so-called "messages regarding the Lord" (glurge) is NFBSKing annoying.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Lord replied, "My son, if you can't bear its weight, just place your cross
inside this room. Then, open that other door and pick out any cross you wish."

The man was filled with relief. Thank you, Lord," he sighed, and he put down his own cross and snuck out the back door. Sucker !!!!

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The young man was at the end of his rope. Seeing no way out, he dropped to
his knees in prayer.

I would think that if you are on the end of a rope the very last thing you would want to do is drop to your knees.

Anyone want to play hangman?

Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When life's problems seem overwhelming, it helps to look around and see what other people are coping with.

Helps in the sense that you decide you're too weak and pathetic to live and shoot yourself in the head, maybe...

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages