snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Blind girl gets gift of sight (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Blind girl gets gift of sight
HighSierra Sherey
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 204 posted      Profile for HighSierra Sherey   Author's Homepage   E-mail HighSierra Sherey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just received from a relative... yes, I have these kinds of relatives!!

There was a blind girl who hated herself just because she's blind. She hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He's always there for her. She said that if she could only see the world, she would marry her boyfriend.
One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her and then she can see everything, including her boyfriend.
Her boyfriend asked her, "now that you can see the world, will you marry me?" The girl was shocked when she saw that her boyfriend is blind too, and refused to marry him.
Her boyfriend walked away in tears, and later wrote a letter to her saying. "Just take care of my eyes dear."

Posts: 9 | From: South Lake Tahoe, CA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dude. Thanks. I just about puked up my free turkey dinner.

Why don't we trade relatives for a bit. Mine send me neo-con, ultra religious glurge, but not sappy glurge. Might be a breath of fresh air.

Goddess, that was horrible.

Oh, and if he managed to find a physician who would blind him to remove his eyes, wouldn't they remove the tear ducts as well?

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nurple
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nurple   Author's Homepage   E-mail nurple   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only positive thing I can say about that one is that it was brief. Good lord.

--------------------
"You better respect the Rap or the Rap won't respect you." Ledatru

Posts: 1141 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 86 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy freaking cow that was horrible!!!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She said that if she could only see the world, she would marry her boyfriend.
WTF? Blind people can't get married?

quote:
The girl was shocked when she saw that her boyfriend is blind too, and refused to marry him.
Did she see that he was blind, or did she see that he was missing his eyes? 'Cause if it's the latter, she must be terribly dim to be surprised by the letter he sends her.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why didn't he get one of his eyes back? Then they can both see?

Moron.

ETA: I guessed I used "can" instead of "could" because the email said "and then she can see everything".

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo.:

Oh, and if he managed to find a physician who would blind him to remove his eyes, wouldn't they remove the tear ducts as well?

Perhaps he dug them out himself, and his sockets were hemorrhaging. The idea of performing elective surgery on oneself and then on another without the aid of sight is really no more unrealistic than the idea of curing someone's blindness by popping in a new set of eyeballs, or the idea of a grown woman, who is just seeing for the first time in her life, being able to take one look at a person and perceive his blindness.

I am the beneficiary of an extraordinary stroke of luck in the glurge department. All the relatives I have who would send me glurge lack the technical proficiency to use email. I still get a few things by snail mail, but the fact that they have to put so much effort into it means I get less. I'm always thrilled to get a piece of snail mail from someone I know, even if it's just a photocopied glurge with a hand-scribbled "thought you'd find this interesting. Love, Grandma."

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There was a blind girl who hated herself just because she's blind. She hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He's always there for her.
Ergh...this has all the hallmarks of having been discovered on some MySpace page or another. The sheer banality of it is what's uber-creepy. Harlequin horror.

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Maddie
Rejoice, Rejoice, I've Found the Manuel!

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Maddie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

One day, someone donated a pair of eyes to her and then she can see everything, including her boyfriend.

I laughed for like, five minuits when I read that. They say it so casually, I was taken aback.

--------------------
"I'm sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman." - Royal Tenenbaum

Posts: 44 | From: Harrisburg, PA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kahuna Burger
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Kahuna Burger   E-mail Kahuna Burger       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The constant switching between past and present tense is just a little bonus....
Posts: 96 | From: Attleboro, MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The girl was shocked when she saw that her boyfriend is blind too, and refused to marry him.
It's not the goofiest leap of illogic here by any means, but it just occurred to me to wonder exactly how she wouldn't have known whether or not he was missing a major sense, like, on first meeting?

Unless this is supposed to be one more illustration of her extreme self-centredness...[shudders all over again]

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or it's just Shoebox missing that the boy wasn't blind until he gave her his eyes. [Smile]

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

She said that if she could only see the world, she would marry her boyfriend.

You'll only marry me if you can see. Sure! Have my eyes.

With an attitude like that. I'm amazed that he was surprised and sad that she broke up with him.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

quote:
Or it's just Shoebox missing that the boy wasn't blind until he gave her his eyes.
Yeah, it's possible. [Smile] But the way the thing is written, she's shocked to discover he's blind, not that he's been blinded, if that makes any sense.
If she already knew him as sighted right up until her operation, shouldn't she be all 'Oh! What happened? You...wait, did you...?!'

...then again, maybe I should just stop trying to parse badly-written glurge altogether, before any more brain cells die.

--------------------

Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shoebox:
quote:
Or it's just Shoebox missing that the boy wasn't blind until he gave her his eyes.
Yeah, it's possible. [Smile]
Her being able to see because a blind person donated his eyes is just abou the only thing that could make the glurge stupider than it alread it.

quote:
But the way the thing is written, she's shocked to discover he's blind, not that he's been blinded, if that makes any sense.
If she already knew him as sighted right up until her operation, shouldn't she be all 'Oh! What happened? You...wait, did you...?!'

...then again, maybe I should just stop trying to parse badly-written glurge altogether, before any more brain cells die.

Or read the whole thread and see that I already pointed that out several posts above yours. [Smile]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

What I said, about brain cells dying. [Smile] Sorry, probably shouldn't be posting immediately after coming home tired from work...

--------------------

Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing missing is having the girl find the line "Just take care of my eyes" on her boyfriend's suicide note.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, what this glurge really needs is an imperative to assist in its viral spread, coupled with nonsensical threats to the reader's physical safety or interpersonal relationships, and a few "success stories" of people who married their lifelong crushes and won the lotto after forwarding the email to six billion people.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
asnakeny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asnakeny   Author's Homepage   E-mail asnakeny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
Why didn't he get one of his eyes back? Then they can both see?

And that way they can be just like the witches in Clash of the Titans! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Is here no telephone?

Posts: 323 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awesome!

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
Actually, what this glurge really needs is an imperative to assist in its viral spread, coupled with nonsensical threats to the reader's physical safety or interpersonal relationships, and a few "success stories" of people who married their lifelong crushes and won the lotto after forwarding the email to six billion people.

ZOMG! Dis iz a ture storee lol! IF U dont forWERD dis 2 10 ppl in 5 sec da blInd grRl will cum n TAKE UR EYES 2!!!!1!!!1!1eleventy-one!

Will that do?

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

A bit succinct for the overwritten world of glurge, Canuck, but it'll do for now.

--------------------

pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a horrible misshapen monster made of spare parts from Gift Of The Magi with a liberal sprinkling of a bad issue of Tales From The Crypt. Seasoned with bad science, preposterous psychology, and general stupidity to boot. Wow. Just wow.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also too legible for the world of glurge.

And where is the relation to Jesus? Come on, a glurge with one person sacrificing for another and no Jesus link?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ladyknight
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladyknight     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
Also too legible for the world of glurge.

And where is the relation to Jesus? Come on, a glurge with one person sacrificing for another and no Jesus link?

See, Jesus is like the boyfriend who gives us sight by sacrificing his own, but we still walk away from him. Jesus is the one who gives us the ability to see the wonderful world he made and we should fall on our knees and thank him for his gift, not be stunned at how he looks after his sacrifice and run away.

Does that work, GenYus?

ETA: I thought maybe I could leave the typing errors in, since it's supposed to be glurge, but I can't bring myself to do it, not even for glurge.

--------------------
Triumphs cannot be given. They must be taken, and the worse the odds, and the fiercer the resistance, the greater the honor. -- A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

Posts: 638 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Wren:
The only thing missing is having the girl find the line "Just take care of my eyes" on her boyfriend's suicide note.

If you insist...

There was a blind girl who hated herself just because she's blind. She hated everyone, except her loving boyfriend. He's always there for her. She said that if she could only see the world, she would marry her boyfriend.
Her boyfriend asked her, "now that you can see the world, will you marry me?" The girl was shocked when she saw that her boyfriend is blind too, and refused to marry him.
Her boyfriend walked away in tears, and later shot himself in the head after wrting a letter to her saying. "Just take care of my eyes dear."

No, wait...

Her boyfriend walked away in tears, and later threw himself from the steeple of the church where they were to be married, after wrting a letter to her saying. "Just take care of my eyes dear."

Or...

Her boyfriend walked away in tears, and later threw himself under a train after wrting a letter to her saying. "Just take care of my eyes, you selfish bitch."

No, this is the one...

Her boyfriend walked away in tears, and later came back when she was sleeping and took his eyes back. Forward this to ten people, or he'll take your eyes too.

Damn, having too much fun with this.

Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the ending was going to be that she saw that he had severe facial deformities like Rocky from Mask and she screamed in horror and ran away. After he walked away in tears he went home and asked his mom's biker friends to beat the girl up.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it really possible for a blind person to see via eye transplant? I don't claim to be a doctor, but I just can't imagine how they would do all that complicated wiring and what not. So any surgeons or medically knowledgeable Snopesters want to help out the clueless?

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Is it really possible for a blind person to see via eye transplant? I don't claim to be a doctor, but I just can't imagine how they would do all that complicated wiring and what not. So any surgeons or medically knowledgeable Snopesters want to help out the clueless?

Once the optic nerve is severed, there will be no eyesight, even with a perfectly functional eyeball (although they are working on it). I can't imagine how an eye transplant wouldn't involve severing that nerve, although I do believe other parts of the eye (for example, lenses and corneas ) can be replaced with donated or artificial parts.

I'm not a doctor.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToriSparrow

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToriSparrow   E-mail ToriSparrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:

As I'm sure most of you know....while it is not possible to actually have an eye transplant...you can have a keratoplasty (cornea transplant). A keratoplasty is mainly done to improve visual acuity, but it can restore sight in someone who has gone blind. It really depends on the condition of the blind person. There are certain eye diseases that cannot be fixed with keratoplasty.

I'd write more, but I'm tired. I hope that helped a little bit.

--------------------
"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'"
-John Greenleaf Whittier

Posts: 10 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If the girl was blind her whole life, then how would she be able to read the letter that he gave her? I mean she wouldn't know the written word because she would have learned braille right?

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sedorna

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedorna   E-mail Sedorna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings:
If the girl was blind her whole life, then how would she be able to read the letter that he gave her? I mean she wouldn't know the written word because she would have learned braille right?

~Monica

Seems so. Not only that, but she'd probably be bumping into things at first because she'd lack depth perception, at least until she got used to it.

Hmmm....her walking off a cliff after she broke up with the boy would have been rather interesting, I dare say.

Posts: 19 | From: Timonium, MD | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus

quote:
Originally posted by ladyknight:
See, Jesus is like the boyfriend who gives us sight by sacrificing his own, but we still walk away from him. Jesus is the one who gives us the ability to see the wonderful world he made and we should fall on our knees and thank him for his gift, not be stunned at how he looks after his sacrifice and run away.

Does that work, GenYus?

Much better. Thanks.

--------------------

LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sedorna:
quote:
Originally posted by Angel With Wax Wings:

~Monica

Seems so. Not only that, but she'd probably be bumping into things at first because she'd lack depth perception, at least until she got used to it.

Hmmm....her walking off a cliff after she broke up with the boy would have been rather interesting, I dare say.

Not only that, but for a little while, anyway, she wouldn't be able to see separate objects. The world would start out as a blur of diffent colours that she had never been able to see before. Can you imagine not seeing your whole life and then suddenly being introduced to red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple all at once, as well as depth? No way the first thing she'd notice is that her boyfriend had no eyes.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Halfmad
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Halfmad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a story not too long ago in the New Yorker about a man who was almost totally blind but due to his fiance's urging (I'm serious!) he got some procedure to restore most of his site. It was a disaster; his depth perception was nonexistent--he just didn't understand how to live sighted since he'd never been sighted. He had trouble doing things like eating because he could never gauge how far away his utensils were from the plate. It was an interesting story.

So, first, she'd be lucky if she could even perceive that the face in front of her was a face, much less that of her boyfriend.

And she'd most likely not be able to figure out he was blind!

(Yes, I take glurge much too seriously.)

--------------------
"I'm sellin' leather pants in the Ozarks!"

Posts: 8 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages