snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » My Old Car

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Old Car
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost 20 years ago when I was still a college student I had an old car that I jokingly named Goliath because of its huge size. This car was older than I was at the time and drank more gas than a dozen pick-up trucks. It had rotted wiring that my dad had to replace more than once. The windshield wipers were broke. The battery died often. The radio didn’t work and I only had one, scratchy cassette for the tape player. It often took quite a while to start and would backfire loud enough to be heard in the next county. My friends and teachers would often joke that they noticed buzzards circling my car when I was in class. Still, this was the car I depended on to commute long distances everyday and more often than not it got me there.

In a lot of ways too this car was a lot like life. The more you complained about it the worse it got. If I would complain about the gas milage one of the bald tires would blow out. If I would grouch about the sputtering engine it would start raining and I would be straining to see through the water all the way home. If I griped about not having a radio the next time the engine would not start at all. But, when I laughed about and accepted all of Goliath’s problems it would run for weeks without giving me any trouble at all. I would pat its steering wheel with love and sing along to my old cassette tape as I drove home in joy. God taught me a lot about life with that car.

My giant, old, beat-up car showed me that you have to appreciate what God gives you in this life. You have to rejoice in the good and grow stronger and more loving from the bad. You have to see that worrying and complaining only add to your misery and realize that you can select laughter, love and joy instead. You have to reach a point where you take whatever life gives you and use it to make this world a better, happier, and more loving place. You have to see that even if you start out driving a piece of junk in this life, God is still going to make it a glorious ride.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a car that needed excessive swearing and derogatory insults, combined with reaching under the car with the handle of my garage jack and banging the fuel pump, if it were to move at all.

Then I had another car that required me to take a spare battery out of the trunk, hook it up with jumper cables, start the engine, disconnect the spare battery and put it back in the trunk again. Every single time I started it if it had been parked for more than an hour! Needless to say, a lot of profanity was needed there as well, especially in the middle of the winter when it was 20 degrees Celsius (approx 253 Kelvin for those who don't use Celsius) below zero.

Were these cars the devil making a statement?

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
senshisteph
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for senshisteph   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do these kind of glurges remind me of Swiss Toni?

--------------------
七転び八起き
nana korobi ya oki
'fall down seven times, get up eight.'

Posts: 155 | From: Nagoya, Japan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I get it. I will never again complain about glurge, but rather embrace it and "use it to make this world a better, happier, and more loving place." Hopefully, that will make it go away.

quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
... 20 degrees Celsius (approx 253 Kelvin for those who don't use Celsius) below zero.

253 Kelvin below zero? I didn't realise it got that cold in Sweden!

Don "self- [fish] " Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
You have to reach a point where you take whatever life gives you and use it to make this world a better, happier, and more loving place. You have to see that even if you start out driving a piece of junk in this life, God is still going to make it a glorious ride.

Yeah...that's MUCH better than, oh say, getting a job and either fixing your car or buying a better one. [Roll Eyes]

Or, does not complaining magically put a stop to the bald tires blowing out?

Bah...glurge. No matter how much I don't complain, it doesn't go away. So, I might as well complain about it. [Razz]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For a "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" kind of stories, it's not too gut-wrenching.

In college, I had an old pickup that was alternately called "The Beast" or "The Wind Tunnel", or sometimes, "That NSFBSK piece of NSFBSK, NSFBSK". Funny, it never ran better or more reliably when I was "nice" to it. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My giant, old, beat-up car showed me that you have to appreciate what God gives you in this life.

Apparently God wants me stranded on the side of the highway at night, forced to hitchhike home. He also doesn't want me to have any friends because they're embarassed to ride in my POS car. God wants me to be too poor or too stupid to save up for a car in good, working condition that isn't a safety hazard. Instead he'd rather see me electricuted by faulty wiring.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The windshield wipers were broke.

So, what... they went around sponging off the tires and bumming change from the hood ornament?

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
253 Kelvin below zero? I didn't realise it got that cold in Sweden!
Only in the summer. In the winter it goes really cold, especially for the nitpickers.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages