snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Life on the Train

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Life on the Train
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 95 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Glurge with horrid music and pictures of adorable children posing in a train depot. It goes on and on and on. It actually tries to tell you that the baggage you get from your family and friends in life is a good thing. I think my first warning should have been what the email said before the link:

quote:
This is awsume !!!!

Life on the Train

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't watch it all, it was downright painful.

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Our parents are with us for as long as we absolutely need them"

So the length of my parents' lives revolves around me? Awesome! I knew I was the center of the universe!

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoyed* how "thoughts" wasn't spelled correctly, and the music sounded like it was made with Finale Notepad.

Pork Chop

*Not really.

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Morbid curiosity pushed me on to the bitter end. It's a good thing I already liked train rides.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Life is like a train ride. We get on. We get off. We get on again."

Huh? I thought we only got one ride.

This new trend towards 'movies' disturbs me. At least with the old Powerpoint presentations, I could click through at a pace that suited me. This just drags on and on ... "GET ON WITH IT - I've read that freaking paragraph twice already!"

Didn't finish it. Too painful.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Man of Wealth and Taste
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Man of Wealth and Taste   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Man of Wealth and Taste   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait... why is the metaphor of a train necessary at all here?

The metaphor isn't even fully consistent... if you don't know when (or presumably where) your last stop is going to be, what makes you think you'll ever get to the "Main Station"? Are you on a train that just goes in circles, and every time it stops at said station a number of randomly-selected people get off? Sounds like a pretty lame train ride to me.

Oh well. As long as I'm riding this stupid train on its circular track, I might as well try to leave everyone else with as much baggage as I can...

--------------------
Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.

"You might call this my dark side, but I wouldn't put it that way exactly. It's my only side."
-Me

Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania/Alaska | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sharpened Steel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharpened Steel   E-mail Sharpened Steel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Man, that was like the glurge that wouldn't end...the music had a lot of fake-outs too, when it seemed like it was over, but it just kept going...

Did anyone else get a stalker vibe from the part about seeking out people you love who choose to sit in another compartment? Duh, if they went to another compartment, they *don't* want to be near you anymore, leave 'em alone.

--------------------
Get used to his bad habits and decide whether you can put up with them...the rest of your life. 'Cause if you don't, then one day, you find yourself in the shed, sharpening the axe and idly wondering how thick the human skull really is.
-ChickyBee

Posts: 64 | From: Bristol, Rhode Island/Columbia, Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Life's like a train ride. You sit and rock and watch the world pass you by. Sometimes you must get out of your seat and do things in a small, urine stained closet space with a door that won't slide shut properly. The things that nourish you in life is expensive, microwaved, and tastes like cardboard. It probably is cardboard.

Most of you will not be able to afford a bed to sleep on, and will have to sleep in a chair in front of a loud woman talking nonstop at ungodly hours in another language.* If you can afford private quarters, you will soon learn it's as big as the public toilet on the train. But no public toilet for you, oh Elite One! Because, for you, your own toilet in your own room is the seat right next to you. If you must share this train ride with someone, they will either be very cool with this, or stand out in the hallway of Train of Life while you "take care of business", which has next to no space. Even worse, if this is the Commuter Train of Life, there's a good chance there's no toilet at all. Which proves life is full of crap that you have to carry until the journey ends.

* I am talking from personal experience. I guess she figured that since no one could understand her, she could yell as loud as she wanted and no one would notice. Till nfbskin' 3 in the nfbskin' morning.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 96 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
"This just drags on and on ... "GET ON WITH IT - I've read that freaking paragraph twice already!"

Didn't finish it. Too painful.

I felt the same way, and no I didn't finish the presentation. I'd like to get to bed before it's time to get up. I think what we have here is the Ina-Gadda-Di-Vida of glurge!

Dawn--without the drum solo--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmallTownKid
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallTownKid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Arg. I know that song. It's "Keeper of the Stars." I actually like the real thing. Shame to see it attached to this...thing.

--------------------
"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."

"Doesn't 'Frollo' sound like a delicious hobbit chocolate?"--Amanda F.

Posts: 107 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Life is like a train. Sometimes some gigantic robot tries to eat the tracks and then you crash. Points for reference [Big Grin]

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What a horribly awkward metaphor. How is life like a train ride? Are you saying that once you start on your journey of life, you don't have any further control until you stop somewhere? Are you saying we should all just trust each segment of our lives to some "engineer" we don't even get to see? Are you saying that life runs on tracks and there's only one way to get from point A to point B? Or is it just a painfully forced expansion on the idea of life as a journey?
And the implication that at some point you no longer "need" your parents, so they disappear from your life disturbs me. What, I can't be a fully functional adult and still enjoy spending time with my parents? Why does there have to be a cut-off point for parental involvement?
I also liked how they made it sound like you don't meet brothers, sisters, friends or acquaintances until after your parents are out of your life....

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't trains a Freudian symbol?

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too couldn't finish this.

I did have Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy running through my head.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dragon's Jewel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dragon's Jewel   E-mail Dragon's Jewel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmmm, awful MIDI. What a joy.

Unfortunately (translate: fortunately) I clicked on the link when I already had Mack the Knife playing, so I got a sudden blast of horrible glurge music over my Bobby Darin, which means that I had to shut it down immediately. No one interrupts Bobby Darin.

--------------------
Tyger, Tyger burning bright
In the forest of the night
What immortal hand or eye
Hath framed thy fearful symmetry?

Posts: 74 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ridin' that train,
High on cocaine
Casey Jones, you'd better
Watch your speed...

Suddenly the train metaphor is a little more interesting.

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zamboni_Rodeo:
Ridin' that train,
High on cocaine
Casey Jones, you'd better
Watch your speed...

Suddenly the train metaphor is a little more interesting.

So I wasn't the only one with that song lodged in their head thanks to this glurge.

Mouse the "Trouble ahead/Trouble behind." Louse

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Man of Wealth and Taste
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Man of Wealth and Taste   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Man of Wealth and Taste   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
Aren't trains a Freudian symbol?

Oooh... I wish I had thought of that first. I would have gotten to use my all-purpose joke: "I think Freud would have something to say about that."

Okay, so it sounds lame in this context, but trust me, it's really funny when I say it at exactly the right moment.

Okay, okay, I'm a Psych geek.

--------------------
Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.

"You might call this my dark side, but I wouldn't put it that way exactly. It's my only side."
-Me

Posts: 71 | From: Pennsylvania/Alaska | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good gods...can the author of this drivel be jailed for metaphor abuse?

I did watch the whole thing, though I don't know why. At one point my screensaver came on and by the time I moved the mouse to close it, the same paragraph was still up on the screen. How slowly do they think people read?

Oh, and I can name a couple of ex-boyfriends who have given me lots of baggage, but I am not really thankful for it. And I would be okay with not seeing them again at the great metaphorical train station.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToriSparrow
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToriSparrow   E-mail ToriSparrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brillo Bee:
"Our parents are with us for as long as we absolutely need them"

So the length of my parents' lives revolves around me? Awesome! I knew I was the center of the universe!

Bee

Thank you VERY much for that...I don't remember the last time I laughed that hard. [Smile]

--------------------
"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'"
-John Greenleaf Whittier

Posts: 10 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If that was too long for you to sit through, I've found another (short) train as metaphor glurge:

quote:
TICKET TO HEAVEN

Trains leave at all Hours.
Trains Arrive when God Wills.

Limited Express First Class:
Poverty, Chastity, Obedience.

Express 1st and 2nd Class:
Peity, Devotion, Sacraments.

Accomidations-
1st, 2nd and 3rd Class:
Commandments, Duties of State of Life.

PRICE OF TICKETS:

FIRST: Love and Crosses.

SECOND: Desire and Combat

THIRD: Fear and Penance.

- NOTE -

1. There are no return tickets.

2. No Excursion Trains.

3. Children who have not attained the use of reason do not pay anything, provided they are held on the lap of their Mother, the Church.

4. Travelers are advised to bring no other baggage but GOOD WORKS, if they do not wish to miss the train or meet with a delay at the next to the last station.

5. Travelers can take passage on any part or the road.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages