snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Highway 109 glurge

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Highway 109 glurge
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 82 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Searched and couldn't find this gem. Not sure if you have to send it to 5 or 7. It's kind of a frankenglurge.

======
A Poem That Gives You Goosebumps...

A drunk man in an Oldsmobile

They said had run the light

That caused the six-car pileup

On 109 that night.

When broken bodies lay about

"And blood was everywhere,"

"The sirens screamed out eulogies,"

For death was in the air.

"A mother, trapped inside her car,"

Was heard above the noise;

Her plaintive plea near split the air:

"Oh, God, please spare my boys!"

She fought to loose her pinned hands;

"She struggled to get free,"

But mangled metal held her fast

In grim captivity.

Her frightened eyes then focused

"On where the back seat once had been,"

But all she saw was broken glass and

Two children's seats crushed
in.

Her twins were nowhere to be seen;

"She did not hear them cry, "

"And then she prayed they'd been thrown free, "

"Oh, God, don't let them die! "

Then firemen came and cut her loose, "

"But when they searched the back, "

"They found therein no little boys, "

But the seat belts were intact.

They thought the woman had gone mad

"And was traveling alone, "

"But when they turned to question her, "

They discovered she was gone.

Policemen saw her running wild

And screaming above the noise

"In beseeching supplication, "

Please help me find my boys!

They're four years old and wear blue shirts;

"Their jeans are blue to match.""

"One cop spoke up, ""They're in my car, "

And they don't have a scratch.

They said their daddy put them
there

"And gave them each a cone, "

Then told them both to wait for Mom

To come and take them home.

"I've searched the area high and low, "

But I can't find their dad.

"He must have fled the scene, "

"I guess, and that is very bad."

"The mother hugged the twins and said, "

"While wiping at a tear, "

"He could not flee the scene, you see, "

"For he's been dead a year."

"The cop just looked confused and asked, "

"Now, how can that be true? "

"The boys said, ""Mommy, Daddy came "

"And left a kiss for you."" "

He told us not to worry

"And that you would be all right, "

And then he put us in this car with

"The pretty, flashing light. "

"We wanted him to stay with us, "

"Because we miss him so, "

"But Mommy, he just hugged us tight "

And said he had to go.

He said someday we'd understand

"And told us not to fuss, "

"And he said to tell you, Mommy, "

"He's watching over us."

The mother knew without a doubt

"That what they spoke was true, "

"For she recalled their dad's last words, " " I will watch over you."

The firemen's notes could not explain

"The twisted, mangled car, "

And how the three of them escaped

Without a single scar.

"But on the cop's report was scribed, "

"In print so very fine, "

An angel walked the beat tonight on Highway 109.

"The 7 Second Prayer, Just repeat this phrase and see how God moves.

"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless my

family, my home, my friends, and me. Amen. "

Pass this message to 7 people {EXCEPT YOU AND ME}.

You
will receive a miracle tomorrow.

He who has a thousand friends has not a friend to spare.

This morning when the Lord opened a window to Heaven, He saw me, and

He asked: "My child, what is your greatest wish for today?" I responded:

"Lord please, take care of the person

who is reading this message, their family and their special friends.

They deserve it and I love them very much.

" The love of God is like the ocean, you can see its beginning,

but not its end.This message works on the day you receive it.

Let us see if it is true.

ANGELS EXIST but some times, since they don't all have wings, we call them FRIENDS.

Pass this on to your true friends.

Something good will happen to you at 11:11 in the evening; something that you have been waiting to hear.

Do not break this prayer; send it to a minimum of 5 friends

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I have seen at least part of this on here before. I just can't forgot the "random quotation marks" no matter "how much I try."

Ariadne, still having quotation mark nightmares

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pass this message to 7 people {EXCEPT YOU AND ME}.
I do think this is a nice touch. I could never figure out where these damned things are supposed to end when you are instructed to send them back to the person who sent them to you.

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Freaky. I read this and knew it was after 11, checked my computer clock ... it's 11:11 pm.

So where's my good thing??

Anyway, this sounds like other stories I've heard, angel-type occurrences, but the people didn't speak in rhyme.

Darn, it's 11:12. Missed my chance.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re-glurgitation, (with even more regluritations included!)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dangit! Search tips time. I searched: drunk 109 boys. Do I have to do it one word at a time or something, does it look for the exact phrase?

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know... I halfway expected this to go the other way. The kids would die and it would turn out that it was Dad driving the Olds, and then he'd end up swearing off booze or killing himself in the garage out of remorse.

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Still can't explain why Daddy couldn't be bothered to clue Mommy in instead of freaking her out like this.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
Dangit! Search tips time. I searched: drunk 109 boys. Do I have to do it one word at a time or something, does it look for the exact phrase?

When in doubt with the Snopes' search function, go to google and type: msgboard.snopes.com and type some keywords or a phrase from the glurge/what have you after that. I typed up "ice cream cone", as I vividly remembered that most from this particular glurge.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Trish. That worked much better. Brought up the original posting. But oddly, not this one. [Smile]

I hope nobody's monitoring my googling - "109 drunk boys"???

--------------------

Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, you "know if Daddy could" have "given each of the boys" an ice cream cone, "after whisking them out of a crumpled car" and taking them to a police car, "it's kind of a shame" he couldn't have put a "drop of water in the drunk's" fuel line half "a minute before the" pileup. How many other "broken bodies" might have made "it home that night"?

Ever notice how many other victims have to provide a colorful backdrop to illustrate glurge-God's "special love" for the subject of the story? Are we supposed to believe that they were all already Christians, and so guaranteed of a place in Heaven, and that none of them had sweethearts, friends, children or parents who might grieve their loss? Or that they were all atheists, non-Christians or other sinners, not worthy of God's concern?

I'd really rather not receive something special if I have to receive my special gift while standing amongst a slew of broken bodies or other carnage, smugly certain that God loves me a whole lot more than He did all of these other losers.

Kilgore ("Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled three-year-old child") Trout

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kilgore Trout, fka Dog Friendly:

I'd really rather not receive something special if I have to receive my special gift while standing amongst a slew of broken bodies or other carnage, smugly certain that God loves me a whole lot more than He did all of these other losers.

You'd be surprised how many people seem to consider this a central boon of Heaven.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dog Friendly   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dog Friendly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, Koi, a major part of my beef with Christianity is the whole elitism thing. I've run into that towering arrogance too many times to have anything but contempt for the whole "not perfect, just better than you" mentality.

I've had an experience not unlike the one in the glurge above. One rainy evening I was driving somewhere. As I approached an intersection I could see the reflection of a pair of headlights coming along the cross street, and weaving all the way across both sides of the road. Although I had the green light, I slowed way down.

A moment later, from the cross street where the light was red, a car came sailing through the intersection, sped on down the street and hit a parked car in the next block. The driver backed up and zoomed off.

I was telling the story the next day at work, and one of my co-workers (a Christian who nicks tip money off of restaurant tables) chided me for not stopping my car to thank Jesus for protecting me from danger. My response was that I kind of wished Jesus could have disabled the other car, taking that driver off the road.

I don't see any moral or ethical superiority in a Supreme Being who's willing to endanger others in order to play games like that. I think it's a cop-out to claim that maybe God's idea of virtue is just beyond my ability to understand. If I can't understand God's idea of virtue, then why should I place my allegiance, faith, loyalty or trust in Him (Her/It)?

Kilgore (an atheist is someone who doesn't need God to tell him how to behave) Trout

--------------------
"Nobody ever got stoned and beat up his old lady" -- Spence, snapdragonfly's friend

Posts: 768 | From: North Hollywood, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

I always wonder about the "thank God/Jesus for this or that" mentality. Don't we have free will? Isn't that why God doesn't stop the drunk driver? Isn't that why there's sin in the world? If God goes around protecting this or that faithful individual, doesn't he negate the whole free will thing? If I say "Thank you Jesus for making me go back for my purse and miss that crash" doesn't that imply that we really should then be criticising Him for not having stopped the crash in the first place? Not having prevented 9/11? Not having prevented children from getting cancer. Etc etc etc.

I have respect at least for those that say God gave us free will and doesn't interfere. But I don't think that belief is compatible with thanking God for any action on our world.

--------------------

Dog Friendly
Carol of the Bills

Well, but anything bad that happens is a result of "free will". I actually had a roommate explain to me that the free will choices of the people who lived in Indonesia and southern India were what caused them to be in the path of the tsunami back in '04. Free will was why they lived there instead of, oh, Paris or San Francisco.

On the other hand, all good things come from God. Any time a musician beats out all the other competition to win an award, they automatically give the credit to God. If a hundred homes are wiped out by a forest fire, and one is spared, it must be because God really loves that one family.

P'thoo. I'll suspend judgement on whether or not God actually exists, but if there is a God, He, She or It reminds me powerfully of the sort of parent who watches TV in the living room while the kids are playing with guns in the den.

Kilgore (God is best understood after three or four stiff drinks) Trout

--------------------

Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have respect at least for those that say God gave us free will and doesn't interfere. But I don't think that belief is compatible with thanking God for any action on our world.

Really? I believe both. I think some bad things (like 9/11) happen because of the free will of the hijackers. I think natural disasters like tsunamis happen because that's what nature does and it is awful sometimes. And other things - like kids getting cancer - happen because the world sucks. But I think God does interfere and help, protect, whatever. I have no idea how he choses when or why.

I think it's okay to say "God protected me from..." - I've said it myself - as long as people don't make that jump to saying that if God doesn't protect/save/help someone, then that's an indication of their lack of faith, etc.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Rachael
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Rachael   Author's Homepage   E-mail Little Rachael   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Eve MG. There's a fine line someone between thanking God for something and acting like they're somehow "more loved" by God than everyone else.

quote:
"And then she prayed they'd been thrown free, "

Wouldn't that kill them? Or at least severely damage them?

I mean, I know she's praying for a miracle at that point, but that's still quite amusing to me.

--------------------
If you're not a part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem.

Posts: 6 | From: Alaska | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Well, it's not about the elitism, it's about whether God intervenes in this world or not, and how and why he makes those decisions.

If you believe in free will, then why thank God for anything? For example a personal instance that happened to me: I was scheduled to do a skydive. Due to weather, the company put it off twice. On the third day, I decided not to bother waiting around in this town any more, and continued with my holiday instead. The company did a flight that morning regardless, with other paying customers, and the plane crashed (no deaths, but injuries abound).

If I were a believer, I could very easily see thanking God for helping me to avoid the plane crash. But if I believed in free will, I couldn't. Didn't I have the free will to choose whether or not to go on that flight? If I did, then God did not intervene. That's kind of the definition of free will. If God intervened, then I didn't have free will.

I guess if you want to say that sometimes people's free will is usurped by God to protect some people but we cannot determine which ones, why, when, and it seems to happen randomly (as if there were no God? Oh dear), then this is not a falsifiable stance. People are free to choose non-falsifiable stances as part of their belief system, but I just don't get it.

--------------------

Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anybody suddenly have Rush playing in their heads now?

... So, just me, then? Okay.

Zamboni "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rodeo

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me off that RSC song off their Western Civilization Millenium CD. Here

Anywho, one of the songs basically said that if God gets credit for every single good thing that happens and that people do, he should be willing to take the rap for the bad crap too.

You got to praise the lord
For the good that he can do
But he should take the rap for the bad crap too
Blame it if you're beat
And you can't roll a seven
If he can't take the heat
He oughta get out of heaven

Blame it on the lord
When crossing the street
You get hit by a ford

Can I get someone to testify?

John Lennon is dead
And Michael Jackson is alive?
Blame it!

Blame it all on the lord
When a gaggle of mormons
appears at your door
Blame it!
When you got to Norway
Fall in a fjord
Blame it all on the lord
If you paid for dinner
And still haven't scored

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages