snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Tiny Frogs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tiny Frogs
Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

Another glurge sent to my Mother. This one definitely rates 10 out of 10 on the Glurge-a-matic Scale. To get the appropriate atmosphere, imagine at least 30 animated frogs scattered throughout the glurge while "What a Wonderful World" plays in the background.

Yes, I can provide mind bleach at reasonable prices [Big Grin]

quote:
TURN ON SOUND!!!!!!

FULL SCREEN....

Great music and the message is exceptional!!!!

FROGS

Once upon a time there was a bunch of tiny frogs.... who arranged a running competition.

The goal was to reach the top of a very high tower.

A big crowd had gathered around the tower to see the race and cheer on the contestants....

The race began....

Honestly,no one in the crowd really believed that the tiny frogs would reach the top of the tower.

You heard statements such as:

"Oh, WAY too difficult!!"

"They will NEVER make it to the top."

or:

"Not a chance that they will succeed. The tower is too high!"

The tiny frogs began collapsing. One by one....

Except for those, who in a fresh tempo, were climbing higher and higher....

The crowd continued to yell, "It is too difficult!!! No one will make it!"

More tiny frogs got tired and gave up....

But ONE continued higher and higher and higher....

This one wouldn't give up!

At the end everyone else had given up climbing the tower. Except for the one tiny frog who, after a big effort, was the only one who reached the top!

THEN all of the other tiny frogs naturally wanted to know how this one frog managed to do it?

A contestant asked the tiny frog how he had found the strength to succeed and reach the goal?

It turned out....

That the winner was DEAF!!!!

The wisdom of this story is:

Never listen to other people's tendencies to be negative or pessimistic.... because they take your most wonderful dreams and wishes away from you -- the ones you have in your heart!

Always think of the power words have.

Because everything you hear and read will affect your actions!

Therefore:

ALWAYS be....

POSITIVE!

And above all:

Be DEAF when people tell YOU that you cannot fulfill your dreams!

Always think:

I can do this!

Pass this message on to 5 "tiny frogs" you care about.

We all need motivation..

Most people walk in and out of your life......but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart

In two days tomorrow will be yesterday. Today is no special day and I have no particular reason for writing to you... I have no news to tell you.... nor any problems to discuss with you.... or gossip to tell you... It's only one of those happy moments... when I thought of you... and I would like to share these thoughts with you...
MANY SMILES BEGIN BECAUSE OF ANOTHER SMILE...

To The World You Might Be One Person; But To One Person You Might Be the World.

HAVE A GOOD DAY!!!

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "send in the bigmouth bass" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmmmm, frog legs... QUICK! Bag 'em while they're all tired!

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never listen to people's advice on anything, even if they're screaming at you to step away from the chainsaw.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
... I think I've come to realize one of the main differences between a sweet, inspirational story, and glurge.

Too many random words in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

Sheesh.

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stormfeather:
... I think I've come to realize one of the main differences between a sweet, inspirational story, and glurge.

Too many random words in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

That, and they always spell out the moral for you, then add a pile of glurgy sayings at the end.

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I pedantic because my first impression was "FROGS DON'T RUN!!!"

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes this is definately glurge. I hereby give it the "Spamamander Seal of Glurginess".

-

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because everything you hear and read will affect your actions!
Well, apparantly not if you're deaf.

quote:
Most people walk in and out of your life......but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart
They must not be considerate friends if they constantly track dirt on you.

quote:
MANY SMILES BEGIN BECAUSE OF ANOTHER SMILE...
I prefer to avoid anything that puts screams at me to SMILE. Smiles shouldn't scream or yell. Those kind are evil and are best avoided.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 01 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It turned out....

And he was the only tiny frog who perished the next weekend. Alas, he didn't hear the egret coming.

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My first thought was the tiny frog who climbed the tower would do it by climbing on the other tiny frogs who were collapsed in a giant pile on the side of the tower.

Also, if being deaf is a virture (according to this glurge), then why does it first insist "TURN ON SOUND!!!!!!"?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 220 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ieuan ab Arthur:
Hi All:

The wisdom of this story is:

You mean the alleged wisdom.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, deafness gives frogs superpowers? Interesting...
Were these tiny frogs tree frogs? 'cause they're built for climbin'.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 607 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This is the one that simply stuck out his tongue, stuck it to the top of the tower and reversed-rapelled his way up.

--------------------

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Once upon a time there was a bunch of tiny frogs.... who arranged a running competition.

The goal was to reach the top of a very high tower.

Shouldn't that be a climbing contest?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are they frogs? Why? There's nothing froggy about the story. Nothing remotely frog-like happens. They aren't even described in very froggy ways. Why are they frogs? Why didn't we just go whole-hog and describe them as an ancient tribe in Israel or something?

BefuddledBride

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 202 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A contestant asked the tiny frog how he had found the strength to succeed and reach the goal?

It turned out....

THAT HE WAS ON ANABOLIC STEROIDS!!

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Pass this message on to 5 "tiny frogs" you care about.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

I can see the response to the sender now: who you calling a frog you bitch? [Mad]

--------------------

NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BB beat me to it. Why frogs? I'm guessing the author of this glurge had some froggy animated icons and wanted to use them.

In my experience, crowds gathered at sporting events are generally cheering "come on", "go frankie" and other supportive things. Their clapping and cheering pushes the athletes on to make that last big push to win. There are so many better ways to have made this glurgy point.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
(snip) It turned out....

(snip)

Hm. Well see, there's your problem, the deaf frog wouldn't win at all. It's a well known fact that all deaf frogs have no legs and thus, can't run at all. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James D
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James D   E-mail James D   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlushingBride:
Why are they frogs? Why? There's nothing froggy about the story. Nothing remotely frog-like happens. They aren't even described in very froggy ways. Why are they frogs? Why didn't we just go whole-hog and describe them as an ancient tribe in Israel or something?

BefuddledBride

Maybe there was a princess at the top of the castle?

And how did the frog hear of the contest? Some sort of amphibian sign language or something?

--------------------
The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - )

Posts: 244 | From: Ventura, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was I the only one who thought that this frog race seemed a lot like how sperm end up fertilizing an egg (minus all the jeering, of course)?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
Was I the only one who thought that this frog race seemed a lot like how sperm end up fertilizing an egg (minus all the jeering, of course)?

A small wriggly water creature emerging from the top of a tall tower? Not a fertilization metaphor as much as an ejaculation metaphor. (And a very very small metaphor it would be too - hardly worth a moistened towelette...)

Now if on reaching the top the tiny frog emerged into a dark cave at the end of which was a fabulous prize which would transform him utterly? Well then I could see it.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, not that. This part:
quote:

At the end everyone else had given up climbing the tower. Except for the one tiny frog who, after a big effort, was the only one who reached the top!

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those would be tiny tadpoles, not tiny frogs, MapleLeaf...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Oh jeez, again with the realism! [Razz] I just meant that it conjured up fertilization imagery.

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Except that many frogs will make it through the cervix and all the way up the fallopian tubes. It is just that one frog is a bit quicker than the rest at penetrating the egg. Then the egg thickens her shell so that no more frogs can get in.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 221 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Freud, paging Dr. Freud.

--------------------

noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"The Masochism Tango" ?

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
No, not that. This part:
quote:

The tiny deaf frog shared a cigarette with the tower. Before he rolled over and fell asleep, he told the tower that the tower was going to sleep in the wet spot because he did all the work while the tower had just stood there like a freakin' statue.

Trish "Here's $5, Tower, 'cause that's all you're worth!" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If your "friends" leave footprints on your internal organs, it might be time to stop hanging out with Hell's Angels.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cabcere
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cabcere   E-mail Cabcere   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] YOMANK, Esprise Me.
Posts: 56 | From: Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just suddenly remembered a John Denver song from his Home Again album called "You Just Stomped on My Heart."

John Denver can be a wee bit glurgy but it never occured to me that particular song would fit a glurge.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages