snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Steve Irwin can bring God back

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steve Irwin can bring God back
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Girl   E-mail Aussie Girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, apparently Steve isn't past his use-by date yet. This popped up in a Mackay newspaper:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good chance to bring God back

Think, what a wonderful outpouring of grief for Steve Irwin.

It's a pity we don't do the same for God through Jesus.

He, like Steve, seems to be lost to us forever yet if it is our wish, memories of Steve can stay with this generation.

God's memories, however, were to live with us all forever.

Steve Irwin in his death gives you all a taste of God. See if you all can bring God back for the main meal.

What do you think? Incomprehensible enough to be glurge?

--------------------
You have just been involved in a drive-by posting.

Posts: 204 | From: CQ, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sigh...and the opportunists keep coming.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see Steve Irwin bringing God back, in the same way that Hercules brought Cerberus back from the gates of the Underworld.

"Did yeh see that? He neahly smote me there! Yeh gotta be careful with these deities, mate; they can be mighty cranky when yeh wake 'em up!"

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tabbymago:
I can see Steve Irwin bringing God back, in the same way that Hercules brought Cerberus back from the gates of the Underworld.

"Did yeh see that? He neahly smote me there! Yeh gotta be careful with these deities, mate; they can be mighty cranky when yeh wake 'em up!"

-Tabby
the princess with claws

This is great...

"Oh, yer awright, mate, yer awright. He's a byootiful specimen..."

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Girl   E-mail Aussie Girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tabby and Evilrabbit:

[lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------

Posts: 204 | From: CQ, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
See if you all can bring God back for the main meal.

sorry, I don't think he/she will fit on this pizza.
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it about north Queensland that attracts these religious (!!!stop to think of polite word!!!!) enthusiasts in such numbers. I was born in Brisbane but spent time in Rockhampton and Mackay, and there is a noticable increase in religious activity the further north you get.
Not just the number of churches etc, but bible-bashers on the streets and converted busses touring the region. Unlike America's bible belt, the area is not known for this, but it is very noticable.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
winegums
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winegums   E-mail winegums   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Girl:

He, like Steve, seems to be lost to us forever yet if it is our wish, memories of Steve can stay with this generation.

so did god, like steve irwin, recently get killed by a stingray? i just like don't get it. should i?
Posts: 50 | From: Dundee, Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, the poem was kinda cute, the rainbow bridge was kinda cute, but this is, excuse me, stupid.

@Tabby and Evilrabbit, YOMANK

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

skeptic: I dunno, but Mount Morgan can be just as bad, and that's in CQ, not North Queensland. The only thing more numerous than churches in Mount Morgan are pubs! But then, half the street names are of places in Ireland. [Big Grin]

--------------------

FireSpook
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FireSpook   E-mail FireSpook   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Good chance to bring God back

God's memories, however, were to live with us all forever.

Steve Irwin in his death gives you all a taste of God. See if you all can bring God back for the main meal.
[/QB]

Pff, Jesus did nothing. all that whiner did was make wine and walk on water. Did he play with the crocs? no. Did he play with Deadly snakes? no.

Bring back Steve I say

--------------------
WARNING
The message above may have statements that only make sense in this user's mind.

Read at your own risk.

Posts: 667 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
skeptic: I dunno, but Mount Morgan can be just as bad, and that's in CQ, not North Queensland. The only thing more numerous than churches in Mount Morgan are pubs! But then, half the street names are of places in Ireland. :D

You're right of course, it is central Queensland. Where is 'north' Queensland said to start.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really don't get this. For one thing, God didn't die, Jesus did. And neither God nor Jesus are lost to us. According to the PcM's, they're constantly watching us and keeping track of every swear we say, boob we look at (or even worse, touch!), and every time one of us looks at a member of the same sex.
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Jesus died nearly two thousand years ago. I think it's time we put that grief behind us.

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jera   E-mail Jera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hubert Cumberdale:
I really don't get this. For one thing, God didn't die, Jesus did. And neither God nor Jesus are lost to us. According to the PcM's, they're constantly watching us and keeping track of every swear we say, boob we look at (or even worse, touch!), and every time one of us looks at a member of the same sex.

Jesus is God, so if Jesus died, God died [Smile]
Posts: 52 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And neither God nor Jesus are lost to us.

Then why are certain people always asking if we've found Jesus?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:

Because they forgot to hold his hand when they entered the store.

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:

Because they forgot to hold his hand when they entered the store.
Either that, or they set him on top of the car and then drove off.

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jera:
quote:

Jesus is God, so if Jesus died, God died [Smile]
So God is dead? [Confused]

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes...and here is the body to prove it.

"You've just blown our minds!"

"Our minds have been BLOWN!"

(10 points)

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Yes...and here is the body to prove it.

"You've just blown our minds!"

"Our minds have been BLOWN!"

(10 points)

That sounds very Kids In The Hall-ish, but I can't put a finger on which sketch it would have been...

ETA: OH YEAH!!! it was this one!

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"But the most surprising thing, was how small He was..."

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Capri
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capri   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well - Steve Irwin wasn't Jesus. It's silly to make that comparison at all. Did he even believe in God in the first place?
Posts: 63 | From: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by skeptic:
quote:
skeptic: I dunno, but Mount Morgan can be just as bad, and that's in CQ, not North Queensland. The only thing more numerous than churches in Mount Morgan are pubs! But then, half the street names are of places in Ireland. [Big Grin]

You're right of course, it is central Queensland. Where is 'north' Queensland said to start.
To be honest, I have no clue what would be considered the 'start' of North Queensland. Personally, when I think of North Queensland, I think of Townsville and Cairns, but it pretty much has to start before that. Heck, Mackay could be the borderline for all I know.

And I may hate glurge, but snopesters' responses are generally good for laugh. I love you people!

--------------------

XhiXhi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XhiXhi   E-mail XhiXhi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Tom o' Bedlam:
quote:
Jesus died nearly two thousand years ago. I think it's time we put that grief behind us.
[lol] [lol] [lol]

--------------------
"A solitary killer, the fire-truck can consume eight times its own weight in prey...the ambulances will have to wait their turn"

"I'm wearing a f**king evil butterfly costume...what age group do you think is going to be attracted to me?"

Posts: 51 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chocklit

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Chocklit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So...when Jesus came back, he cooked a fish dinner for his disciples.

Does that mean we can expect a Steve Irwin fish fry any day soon?

Maybe grilled croc on the menu?

Or, wait...I have it....sauteed STING RAY! [fish]

Don't get mad, Steve...get even! [Wink]

--------------------
"Jesus must be spinning in his grave." - Barney Gumble

Posts: 26 | From: Burns Lake, BC, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What is it about north Queensland that attracts these religious (!!!stop to think of polite word!!!!) enthusiasts in such numbers. I was born in Brisbane but spent time in Rockhampton and Mackay, and there is a noticable increase in religious activity the further north you get.
Not just the number of churches etc, but bible-bashers on the streets and converted busses touring the region. Unlike America's bible belt, the area is not known for this, but it is very noticable.

I grew up in Cairns which is considered far north Queensland and there didn't appear to be too many religous nuts there, no bible bashers on the streets, no converted busses that i really noticed. Sure there were a few people but nothing i would ever call over the top, the little blue nun(Roman Catholic nun who used to do relgion classes at my primary school who took it upon herself to scour the surrounding suburbs to attempt to convert us all, she was killed in a car accident pulling out of my suburb about 5 years ago) was the worst of it.

And as far as i know i think Mackay sometimes gets refered to as north Queensland( then again i have also heard of anything outside of Brisbane being reffered to as North QLD), but the Far north is generally considered to start at Cairns.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turning_Turning

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turning_Turning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tabby and evilrabbit-you both owe me a new keyboard [Big Grin]

(Man, all this time I wasn't actually banned. All this worrying for nothing-comp had just logged me out. I'm such a n00b. [Razz] )

As for Steve Irwin bringing God back? All I can say is "I knew this would happen someday." You just gotta "love" glurge [Wink]

Posts: 24 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WTF...? That was one of the most bizarre pieces of glurge I've ever seen...

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Steve Irwin in his death gives you all a taste of God.

What ?

Finding God is like getting a big, venomous barb in the chest ?

Thank you so much, I'll stay an atheist.

BTW, Desert Rat, I agree. Stranger than strange, this one. Almost surrealistic.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 98 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tabbymago:

You have come the closest of anyone here to actually genuinely owning me a new keyboard. I had just taken a drink of tea and had to slap my hand over my mouth to avoid spraying all over the place.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This should send you over the top...

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same drawing, with the quote that sparked it.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages