snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » cracked pots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cracked pots
yogi cat
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 19 posted      Profile for yogi cat   E-mail yogi cat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it doesn't have the puppies or kittens or forward instructions, but... but... does an "elderly Chinese woman" who can communicate with pots count?
What is THAT all about?!?

Here it is:

An elderly Chinese woman had two large pots, each hung
on the ends of a pole, which she carried across her neck.

One of the pots had a crack in it while the other pot
was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water. At the end of the
long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half
full.

For a full two years this went on daily, with the
woman bringing home only one and a half pots of water. Of course, the perfect
pot was proud of its accomplishments. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed
of its own imperfection, and miserable that it could only do
half of what it had been made to do. After 2 years of what it perceived to be
bitter failure, it spoke to the woman one day by the stream. "I am
ashamed of myself, because this crack in my side causes
water to leak out all the way back to your house."

The old woman smiled, "Did you notice that there are
flowers on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side?" "That's
because I have always known about your flaw, so I planted flower seeds on
your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you water them."
"For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate
the table.

Without you being just the way you are, there would
not be this beauty to grace the house."

Each of us has our own unique flaw. But it's the cracks and flaws we each have that make
our lives together so very interesting and rewarding.

You've just got to take each person for what they are and look for the
good in them.

SO, to all of my crackpot friends, have a great day
and remember to smell the flowers on your side of the path!

--------------------
We criticize a thinker more sharply when he presents us with a displeasing proposition; and yet it would be more reasonable to do this when his proposition pleases us.
--Nietzsche

Posts: 85 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say that the pot wasn't the only thing that was cracked....

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So the lesson is,it's ok if you have problems,it makes other people happy?

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Flowers on only one side of the path. So the woman was clever enough to use the pot to grow flowers, but not clever enough to switch which side she carried which pot on and have flowers on both sides. Interesting.
Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Samantha Vimes:
Flowers on only one side of the path. So the woman was clever enough to use the pot to grow flowers, but not clever enough to switch which side she carried which pot on and have flowers on both sides. Interesting.

Hahahaha [lol] Well, give her credit. She WAS elderly [Wink]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
I'd say that the pot wasn't the only thing that was cracked....

I agree. I am certain both the pot and the elderly lady had a crack.

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just can't help but wonder if the reason she was hearing talking pots was due in part to pot of an entirely different kind. Probably those "flowers" she grew along the one side of the path.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 202 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spamamander with cheese on rye:
I just can't help but wonder if the reason she was hearing talking pots was due in part to pot of an entirely different kind. Probably those "flowers" she grew along the one side of the path.

[lol] Or a different kind of crack! [lol]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So the moral is that perfect people are evil and satanic?

Yea for dysfunction!

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, not a bad glurge. It's more of a fable than a glurge

a) It has the our-imperfections-make-us-whole yin-yang thing going for it, which I think is a good moral lesson
b) No appeals to emotion
c) No instructions on forwarding this to 5 people before a pot cracks your head

Sure, the pot analogy is a little amusing, and there are logical inconsistencies in the story, but so do many fables. The emphasis is on keeping it short and leading to a moral lesson, but that comes at the expense of logic in the story.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Actually, not a bad glurge.
Heathen! [lol]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Actually, not a bad glurge.
Heathen! [lol]
You just don't like it 'cause you're a bit of a crackpot oh purveyor of NMRs. [Wink] Incidentally it appears from a recent thread that the Heathen Chinese are eating NMRs alive [Eek!]
Rats

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't really consider this glurge isomuch as a fable that was glurgeified by some well-meaning person who had pot/crack or both.

And, oooh, Crackpot friends? I am not a crackpot because I refuse to crack and or pot and read this any more.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 217 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this one looked familiar.....
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aww...come on [Smile] . It was from 5 years ago. Most people here hadn't joined the board yet.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Andrew of Ware, England
A-Ware in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andrew of Ware, England   Author's Homepage   E-mail Andrew of Ware, England   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, golly gosh! I have just read that five year old thread and apparently even that thread was the third time the cracked pot story had been discussed.

Mind you, I've always said that you can't have too many threads on cracked pots.

--------------------
Andrew, Ware, England

Posts: 1709 | From: Ware, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno about these glurges...they're all about pot and crack nowadays. This is highly inappropriate!

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ms Congeniality
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms Congeniality   E-mail Ms Congeniality   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the impression that the old lady was on crack and pot.. [Wink]

--------------------
Queen of Confusion

Posts: 311 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages