snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Daddy, I Heard You Say Mean Words!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Daddy, I Heard You Say Mean Words!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chances are you know how easily our words can slice into others with razor sharp ease like a surgical knife. I know full well the weight of our words. And, yet, I revisit this lesson all too often.

During a trip to Chattanooga with my wife and son, we decided to go eat dinner at Olive Garden. We found where it was located and began driving to it.

Now, as it turned out, I had been needing to go to the restroom for quite a while. I had been drinking a lot of water and I just needed a bathroom break. So, as you can imagine, I was eager to make it to Olive Garden!

Only, it seemed that my lovely wife, who was driving at the time, had different plans. She didn’t drive as fast as I wanted her to. She stopped on yellow lights instead of zooming on through. She stopped in the middle of the road and let others get in line in front of us.

I mean, here I was in pain and she decided to try out for the Courteous Driver of the Year award. You’d have thought I was a representative from Geico riding along to see how safe her driving was for an insurance quote or something. :-)

Anyway, we got to the Olive Garden parking lot and she, for whatever reason, just drove right on by it - which meant we’d have to drive all the way around this crazy divided road and turn around to come back.

And, I started griping. “Why did you miss the turn? I’ve gotta go to the restroom. Bad. Help me out here.”

Well, Paula didn’t say anything, but little 4-year old Jacob Andrew Brown did. He yelled out, “Daddy, I heard you say mean words.”

It really caught me off guard. That once again my tongue had gotten the better of me. And I had cut someone I love. And others had watched on as I did.

Let me tell you, he was exactly right in what he said. I had used mean words.

I turned to my sweet, courteous driving wife :-) and said, “Honey, I’m sorry about that. I was wrong.” Jacob clapped his hands and smiled, Paula smiled and I smiled once I made it to the Olive Garden restroom. :-)

One of the biggest destroyers of relationships, marriages, ministries, testimonies, and churches is this untamable thing we call the tongue. One of the largest contributors to arguments, bitterness, resentment, ill will, and conflict is the tongue.

Proverbs 21:23 says, “Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.” And when we don’t learn to hold our tongues, we invite troubles into our lives.

We need to be careful that we use our words to build up instead of tear down, make peace instead of disrupt it, and speak the truth in love instead of wield our words like a weapon wrought with bad attitudes and bad motives.

He may never say it aloud, but I hope from this day forward Jacob can say in his heart of me, "Daddy, I heard you say NICE words."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 104 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uhm..What were the mean words?? "Why did you miss the turn? Bad. Why don't you help me out here" are mean words?

BTW-I didn't know you and Barbara have a son named Jacob? [Confused]

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jenovatrix
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenovatrix   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe Paula's just getting back at Dad for all the times he wouldn't pull over so *she* could pee.

Jenova "we're making good time here" trix [Smile]

--------------------
"Flaming Bags of Poo should not be delivered indefinitely after a bad date." - Sims 2 patch fix
my space ::my kitty friend, Orion

Posts: 181 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:
Uhm..What were the mean words??

I think this was a G-rated version of the REAL incident. I think the father said something more like, "Why did you f**king miss the f**king turn? I’ve gotta p**s. S**t! Get your f**king head out of your f**king a**..."

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheBobo:

The whole point of the glurge gallery is to post glurge that you receive.

snopes didn't write this, he received it.

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
posted by TheBobo

I didn't know Barbara's name was Paula, either [fish]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Robofication, Lightly Roasted
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robofication, Lightly Roasted     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do I think this came out of a Promise Keeper's handbook?

Ok, let's see...

Latent sexism: Check
Little child who's wisdom surpasses mummy and dads?: Check
Focus on the "male" urge for violence?: Check
Timid, quiet, submissive mum?: Check
100% BullNFBSK (to copy David Cross): Check

Yup, must be from Promise Keepers.

--------------------
"As convenient as it may be, it's time I started taking responsibility for the messes I've created instead of always blaming everything on the law of entropy"

Posts: 453 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, Paula didn’t say anything, but little 4-year old Jacob Andrew Brown did
Besides, who refers to their own child this way when they are telling a story to others?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be not the actual words, but his tone of voice. I've had small kids reprimand me, not because of "dirty words" but because of "angry voice"

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, frankly, any spouse who just drives right pass the Olive Garden or other pre agreed upon pit stop for no apparent reason when his or her spouse's back teeth are floating deserves a few choice words. That's beyond inconsiderate, it's abusive!!! For some of us!

snap "I don't have a terribly big bladder and am prone to infections" dragonfly.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finding Tinsel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finding Tinsel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, as you can imagine, I was eager to make it to Olive Garden!

Actually, I don't think anything could be more unimaginable than that. A trash dumpster would be a better place to p**s or eat.

--------------------
me: "So then there was this one guy that wrote a poem insulting the girl that organized the poetry reading."
Amy: "...Was the guy you?"

Posts: 22 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finding Tinsel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finding Tinsel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Actually, I don't think anything could be more unimaginable than that. A trash dumpster would be a better place to p**s or eat.

--------------------
me: "So then there was this one guy that wrote a poem insulting the girl that organized the poetry reading."

Posts: 22 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finding Tinsel

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Finding Tinsel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Actually, I don't think that there could be anything more unimaginable. I mean, Olive Garden? A trash dumpster would be a better place to p**s or eat.

--------------------

MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nero, I'm gonna need you to slow down on the posts a little bit, sweetie.
[Wink]

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's so bad about The Olove Garden? I've never been there.
Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally really like the Olive Garden. I eat there pretty frequently and used to work there. Would you mind sharing why it's "dumpster comparative", Nero?

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What was up with all the smilies? They weren't regular smilies either, like so [Smile] but nose smilies. :-) Each time he used one, it seemed he was suppressing the homicidal urge to take both Paula and little Jacob out in one fell swoop.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Proverbs 21:23 says, “Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.” And when we don’t learn to hold our tongues, we invite troubles into our lives.
Seems to me that holding your tongue and fuming, instead of telling your wife that you need a restroom, is where the troubles started in the first place. Perhaps if you clued her in, sweetums, she would've pulled over to a gas station or something?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh My Gawd!He used the R Word!And the B word!Such profanity should be in the NFBSK section!

The husband's stupid for not telling her he needed a pit-stop earlier and the kid and wife need to toughen up cause there's so many worse things to say.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] Wow...Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have pissed in the water bottle. That would have shown her!!

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

[lol]

--------------------

Finding Tinsel

black roses, I've always thought that Olive Garden is horrible; comparing it to a dumpster was just an exaggeration of course.

Sorry about the multiple posts btw.

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i've been trying to write a proper post here, but i can't because i have chattanooga bloody choo choo in my head. stupid glurge.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

During a trip to Chattanooga with my wife and son, we decided to go eat dinner at Olive Garden. We found where it was located and began driving to it.

Hey, if you go the way of irrelevant detail, make sure to go all the way. Where's the description of climbing in the car, turning ignition on, etc.?

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
halibut
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for halibut   E-mail halibut   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And, I started griping. “Why did you miss the turn? I’ve gotta go to the restroom. Bad. Help me out here.”

Well, Paula didn’t say anything, but little 4-year old Jacob Andrew Brown did. He yelled out, “Daddy, I heard you say mean words.”

So I turned to him and said. "You're f****** right I did you little s***! I need a f****** p*** you w*****. Now shut the f*** up or I'll shoot your puppy. By the way, you were an accident. We never wanted you"

Posts: 216 | From: Lincoln, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice idea to also name your child in full in an emailed glurge.

I also reckon that he needed to pee because of all the beer he had been drinking (water my ass!). That's why he wasn't driving in the first place.

Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And the winner of the Most Appropriate Name to Post On This Thread is . . . .

Drainfluid. [lol]

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jera   E-mail Jera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else catch the symbolism of the "Olive Garden"

It's an allusion to the garden of eden, as well as the olive branch after the flood. The garden of eden reference shows the betrayal of womankind (i.e. the woman won't stop for the man to go pee), and the olive branch shows that there is hope for both the marriage, and ultimately for the man's bladder.

Posts: 52 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At which I turned around and said, "Aw, how cute. My son's an obnoxious do-gooder.

"Son, we have something to tell you: mommy and daddy are getting a divorce. And it's entirely your fault."

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 01 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jera:

It's an allusion to the garden of eden, as well as the olive branch after the flood. The garden of eden reference shows the betrayal of womankind (i.e. the woman won't stop for the man to go pee), and the olive branch shows that there is hope for both the marriage, and ultimately for the man's bladder.

I thought an Olive Garden was the end to a perverted grade school Popeye joke.  -

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

quote:

Uhh...I think you're stretching a bit here, m'dear. I mean....maybe, but I think that's giving the writer just a *little* too much credit.

--------------------

Arts Myth
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arts Myth   E-mail Arts Myth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Chances are you know how easily our words can slice into others with razor sharp ease like a surgical knife.

And chances are you know how easily metaphors can be thoroughly mangled. Because I know I can't think of a better way to shave than with a scalpel, and what better surgical blade is there than a straight razor..?

--------------------
Stupid, stupid rat creatures! - Bone
"The missionaries told us not to cut ourselves. It displeases Jesus." - Elsie Clews Parsons, Kiowa Tales, quoted in The Mourner's Dance, Katherine Ashenburg

Posts: 695 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages