snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Here's to T-bone steaks, yellow roses and friendship.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here's to T-bone steaks, yellow roses and friendship.
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well worth the openings

Here's to T-bone steaks, yellow roses and friendship.

READ THIS!!!! and then reread it. Especially the last part...

I walked into the grocery store not particularly interested in buying groceries. I wasn't hungry. The pain of losing my husband of 7 years was still too raw. And this grocery store held so many sweet memories.

He often came with me and almost every time he'd pretend to go off and look for something special. I knew what he was up to. I'd always spot him walking down the aisle with the three yellow roses in his hands.

He knew I loved yellow roses. With a heart filled with grief, I only wanted to buy my few items and leave, but even grocery shopping was different since he had passed on.

Shopping for one took time, a little more thought than it had for two.

Standing by the meat, I searched for the perfect small steak and remembered how he had loved his steak.

Suddenly a woman came beside me. She was blonde, slim and lovely in a soft green pantsuit. I watched as she pick! ed up a large package of T-bones, dropped them in her basket.. Hesitated, and then put them back. She turned to go and once again reached for the pack of steaks.

She saw me watching her and she smiled. "My husband loves T-bones, but honestly, at these prices, I don't know."

I swallowed the emotion down my throat and met her pale blue eyes.

"My husband passed away eight days ago," I told her. Glancing at the package in her hands, I fought to control the tremble in my voice. "Buy him the steaks. And cherish every moment you have together."

She shook her head and I saw the emotion in her eyes as she placed the package in her basket and wheeled away.

I turned and pushed my cart across the length of the store to the dairy products. There I stood, trying to decide which size milk I should buy. A Quart, I finally decided and moved on to the ice cream. If nothing else, I could always fix myself an ice cream cone.

I placed the ice cream in my c! art and looked down the aisle toward the front. I saw first the green suit, then recognized the pretty lady coming towards me In her arms she carried a package. On her face was the brightest smile I had ever seen. I would swear a soft halo encircled her blonde hair as she kept walking toward me, her eyes holding mine.

As she came closer, I saw what she held and tears began misting in my eyes. "These are for you," she said and placed three beautiful long stemmed yellow roses in my arms. "When you go through the line, they will know these are paid for." She leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on my cheek, then smiled again. I wanted to tell her what she'd done, what the roses meant, but still unable to speak, I watched as she walked away as tears clouded my vision.

I looked down at the beautiful roses nestled in the green tissue wrapping and found it almost unreal. How did she know? Suddenly the answer seemed so clear I wasn't alone.

Oh, you haven't forgott! en me, have you? I whispered, with tears in my eyes. He was still with me, and she was his angel.

Every day be thankful for what you have and who you are.

(Please read all of this, it is really nice)

This is a simple request. If you appreciate life, send this to your friends, including the person that sent it to you.

Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings. Thank you, Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.

Even though I keep my eyes closed against the morning light as long as possible. Thank you, Lord, that I can see. Many are blind.

Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising. Thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.

Even though the first hour of my day is hectic, when socks are lost, toast is burned, tempers are short, and my children are so loud.

Thank you, Lord, for my family There are many who are lonely.

Even though our b! reakfast table never looks like the picture in magazines and the menu is at times unbalanced.

Thank you, Lord, for the food we have. There are many who are hungry.

Even though the routine of my job often is monotonous. Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who have no job.

Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day and wish my circumstances were not so modest.

Thank you, Lord, for life.

Pass this on to the friends you know. It might help a bit to make this world a better place to live, right? A friend is someone we turn to when our spirits need a lift. A friend is someone to treasure.

For friendship is a gift. A friend is someone who fills our lives with Beauty, Joy and Grace and makes the world we live in a better and happier place.

YOU ARE MY FRIEND!

God bless you and yours.

Now send this to every friend you have and don't forget me!

-------------------------------! ---------------------------------------------

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it with the random exclamation marks in glurge these days?

quote:
I placed the ice cream in my c!
quote:
Even though our b!
Wow, someone needs to get out more if they find b's and c's shocking like this.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If there was ice cream in my c! I would utter an exclamation too.

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[lol]

What I want to know is how the ice cream got there. Sounds like the start of an urban legend to me.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
animal73
Deck the Malls

Icon 101 posted      Profile for animal73   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
[lol]

What I want to know is how the ice cream got there. Sounds like the start of an urban legend to me.

Sounds like someone took Nutty Buddy (a pre-fab ice cream cone, shaped not unlike this gremlin [dunce] ) a little too literally....

--------------------
Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night.

Canton Maddogs Rugby

Posts: 440 | From: Canton, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How dare you people make fun of such a lovely story! Hmmmph!
Okay, I got it. [fish] Ouch! Not so hard! [fish] Now, cut that out!

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
She saw me watching her and she smiled. "My husband loves T-bones, but honestly, at these prices, I don't know."

I swallowed the emotion down my throat and met her pale blue eyes.

"My husband passed away eight days ago," I told her. Glancing at the package in her hands, I fought to control the tremble in my voice. "Buy him the steaks. And cherish every moment you have together."

Of course, within two years that couple that followed her advice was destitute and homeless, having spent all their money on over-priced steaks instead of waiting until they were on sale (or savoring those items at special times throughout the year instead of every day). [Razz]

Seriously, is it impossible to cherish a moment with your spouse without disregarding sound financial practices? I mean, I would rather eat steak-ums now and revel in a worry free, early retirement with my spouse than eat a couple of T-bones now and have to continue working 5 or 10 extra years in our "golden time of life".

quote:
As she came closer, I saw what she held and tears began misting in my eyes. "These are for you," she said and placed three beautiful long stemmed yellow roses in my arms. "When you go through the line, they will know these are paid for." She leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on my cheek, then smiled again.
I had always heard that the market was a great pick-up joint.

quote:
(Please read all of this, it is really nice)

I disagree...

quote:
Thank you, Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.

Thank you, Lord, that I can see. Many are blind.

Thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.

Thank you, Lord, for my family There are many who are lonely.

Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who have no job.

And speaking on behalf of the blind, deaf, bedridden, hungry, and lonely....UP YOURS GOD! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I particularly liked how they had to add that extra long "--------!------" jazz at the end. I actually edited that thing, it was longer!

Sounded like the Twilight Zone, with the "these roses are paid for already" business. Who paid for them? Moe the bartender?

quote:
Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings. Thank you, Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.
quote:
Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising. Thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.
quote:
Cripes, this is turning into the "Support the troops or else!" glurge!

Trish "He does what he is told." DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 208 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:

I officially just lost my first keyboard to coffee on this forum! Is that sort of like a deflowering? (Just... no ice cream involvement, please.)

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't worry, spamamander. We'll be gentle. But if you're easily disturbed by unnatural use of food stuffs and small rodents, I would suggest that you don't wander too close to the initiation thread...

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 02 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
READ THIS!!!! and then reread it.

I did. And you know what? It was exactly the same.

I feel ripped off.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
quote:
READ THIS!!!! and then reread it.

I did. And you know what? It was exactly the same.

I feel ripped off.

You mean you didn't get the special video the e-mail program sends you if you reread? That's a shame.

But if you forward this message to 12 people, the video will pop up on your screen! I can't tell you what it is, but you will be laughing!

--------------------

Moeko'sOwl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moeko'sOwl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else find it odd that this woman's husband apparently is FEMALE as an angel?

--------------------
We are all equal, be it before the eyes of God, or for our own sake. We are all worthy of the same fundamental rights, freedoms, and, protections. Mindless hatred is unjustifiable. -Squoval

Posts: 320 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, she was her husband's angel. He's gettin' some up in heaven with the blonde.
Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She was blonde, slim and lovely in a soft green pantsuit.
quote:
I looked down at the beautiful roses nestled in the green tissue
Lots of green. But green is the colour of Satan.
Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mouse
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently no one in Glurgeland is a vegetarian.

Mouse the "We used to enjoy Dhal together" Louse

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 107 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drainfluid:
quote:
She was blonde, slim and lovely in a soft green pantsuit.
quote:
I looked down at the beautiful roses nestled in the green tissue
Lots of green. But green is the colour of Satan.

I don't know about green, but pantsuits are definately the devil's work. (Sign of the devil! Sign of the devil!)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, iirc in the "language of flowers" yellow roses signify jealousy. [Razz]

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought yellow was friendship? Or is that white?
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fantome
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fantome   Author's Homepage   E-mail Fantome   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two such lovely, sensitive women really must get together.

...Then mass-mail us all about what happens. It was MEANT TO BE!!!

Posts: 33 | From: Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Molasses Cellany
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molasses Cellany   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sweet White Canvas:
Also, iirc in the "language of flowers" yellow roses signify jealousy. [Razz]

Of course. Dearly departed hubby was jealous of all the guys whose wifes consented to having threesomes, thus the female angel after he died. [Roll Eyes]

Also, in the list of smug self-congratulatory "thanks" tacked onto the end, they forgot sleeping and mental health. Or maybe I'm just being pissy because it's four in the morning. Either way, I wish they'd do something to help the less fortunate besides NFBSKing pity them. Bastages.

--------------------
Not Mandatory

Posts: 398 | From: Yuma, AZ | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 96 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I walked into the grocery store not particularly interested in buying groceries. I wasn't hungry. The pain of losing my husband of 7 years was still too raw. And this grocery store held so many sweet memories.

Okay not hungry and bying food.

He often came with me

NFBSK

Suddenly a woman came beside me. She was blonde, slim and lovely in a soft green pantsuit. I watched as she pick! ed up a large package of T-bones, dropped them in her basket.. Hesitated, and then put them back. She turned to go and once again reached for the pack of steaks.

No I screamed Remember Mad Cow...

I swallowed
Not going there please

"Buy him the steaks.

Make sure your insurance covers new vCJD.

I If nothing else, I could always fix myself an ice cream cone.
I'm a really bad cook.

As she came closer, I saw what she held and tears began misting in my eyes. "These are for you," she said and placed three beautiful long stemmed yellow roses in my arms. "When you go through the line, they will know these are paid for."

Yeah tell that to the store detective.

This is a simple request. If you appreciate life, send this to your friends, including the person that sent it to you.

My friends would kill me.

Even though the routine of my job often is monotonous. Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who have no job.

I have no job I am a SAHM.

God bless you and yours.

Your what??

Now send this to every friend you have and don't forget me!

Send any more like this and I will more than forget you!!!

-------------------------------! ---------------------------------------------[/QUOTE] [/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Woofer
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woofer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Woofer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bettie Page Turner wrote: If there was ice cream in my c! I would utter an exclamation too.

YOMANK! Today I shall recall that off and on as I need a good laugh.

Thank you!

--------------------
Like men riding dragons throwing wolves at maggots.

Posts: 204 | From: Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spacky
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spacky     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You know, I'm surprised my local grocery store hasn't been using that to sell items.

Salesman: *walking up to woman* You know... my child passed away a few days ago... he LOVED lobster. It was his favorite meal, and I feel so awful now because I never bought it enough for him... So buy that lobster and feed it to your family every chance you get!! Don't forget to invite your friends and neighbors to dinner aswell!

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages