snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Glurge Gallery » Homophobia Glurge (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Homophobia Glurge
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 105 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This one isn't actually really offensive, and I agree with the general message. I think my main problem with it other than it being horribly glurgey is that it's going around as a LiveJournal meme, so I have to see it 14 times a day, uncut ("cut" is an action that lets you put some of the text behind a separate link to save space), and with people bothering me about not putting it up myself. (I may agree with the message, but I try not to assist in the spread of glurge, especially since my posting it would prompt a fresh wave of uncut posts of it on my LJ friend list.)

-------------------------

I am the girl kicked out of her home because I confided in my mother that I am a lesbian.

I am the prostitute working the streets because nobody will hire a transsexual woman.

I am the sister who holds her gay brother tight through the painful, tear-filled nights.

We are the parents who buried our daughter long before her time.

I am the man who died alone in the hospital because they would not let my partner of twenty-seven years into the room.

I am the foster child who wakes up with nightmares of being taken away from the two fathers who are the only loving family I have ever had. I wish they could adopt me.

I am one of the lucky ones, I guess. I survived the attack that left me in a coma for three weeks, and in another year I will probably be able to walk again.

I am not one of the lucky ones. I killed myself just weeks before graduating high school. It was simply too much to bear.

We are the couple who had the realtor hang up on us when she found out we wanted to rent a one-bedroom for two men.

I am the person whose genitals were deemed ambiguous when I was born. The gender assigned to me has never felt right, but I wonder if the parts of me they cut away would have.

I am the person who never knows which bathroom I should use if I want to avoid getting the management called on me.

I am the mother who is not allowed to even visit the children I bore, nursed, and raised. The court says I am an unfit mother because I now live with another woman.

I am the domestic-violence survivor who found the support system grow suddenly cold and distant when they found out my abusive partner is also a woman.

I am the domestic-violence survivor who has no support system to turn to because I am male.

I am the father who has never hugged his son because I grew up afraid to show affection to other men.

I am the home-economics teacher who always wanted to teach gym until someone told me that only lesbians do that.

I am the man who died when the paramedics stopped treating me as soon as they realized I was transgendered.

I am the person who feels guilty because I think I could be a much better person if I didn’t have to always deal with society hating me.

I am the man who stopped attending church, not because I don't believe, but because they closed their doors to my kind.

I am the person who has to hide what this world needs most, love.

Repost this if you believe homophobia is wrong.

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pork Chop
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pork Chop   E-mail Pork Chop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Guy Named Goo:
Snip...
I am the man who died when the paramedics stopped treating me as soon as they realized I was transgendered.
Snip...

I have no idea, but I thought that something like this was illegal? That is, ending treatment of someone just because they are/were transgendered.
Wouldn't it count as discrimination and leave the hospital open to a lawsuit?

--------------------
Have you heard the Word?
Praise Hircine!

Posts: 283 | From: Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pork Chop.:
quote:
Snip...
Snip...

I have no idea, but I thought that something like this was illegal? That is, ending treatment of someone just because they are/were transgendered.

I think that's one of the reasons that this doesn't sit well with me. I am not saying all of these things have never/never do happen, but they seem grossly exhaggerated.

I'll admit that because I am transgendered/transsexual, I have been made to feel uncomfortable in a host of situations that have lead to me making choices that I normally wouldn't (changing healthcare providers and even dentists, which jobs I held, et cetera), and in a way that's worse than the outright discrimination because there's no evidence that anyone has wronged you, but that strikes me as more likely to happen in today's climate than the situations detailed above.

--------------------
“I really feel like this is part of my life's work....It's part of what I want to do with my time here....So if I can make a difference at all by talking openly about myself, I'm glad.” - Anthony Rapp, Without You, pp. 206-207

Posts: 592 | From: Kenduskeag, ME | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Snip...
Snip...

Not that it would never happen (anything can happen) but medics are trained to treat anybody, and frankly if they are gonna treat some criminal who may have just killed somebody they are gonna treat a transgendered person.. Besides, as you said, if they didn't they would leave themsevles open to a world of hurt.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sullen Moon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sullen Moon   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sullen Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Snip...
Snip...

I agree. This one doesn't sound right. And you can be sure that any paramedic that refused to treat someone for any reason would not get away with it.

Otherwise, it's actually a very powerful piece. Glurgy, but not TOO glurgy.

ETA: Spanked by Mickey Blue! Curses!!!

--------------------
***sig line edited for content***

Posts: 249 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It happened, and Tyra Hunter was the woman it happened to. Paramedics not only stopped treatment, they laughed and called her names. This was in 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyra_Hunter
http://www.glaa.org/archive/1998/margiehunter1211.shtml

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Although, in an odd way, it's somehow nice to see a pro-gay glurge. This sort of stuff, in my experience, is usually written from a more "religious right" viewpoint.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A Guy Named Goo   Author's Homepage   E-mail A Guy Named Goo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:
It happened, and Tyra Hunter was the woman it happened to. Paramedics not only stopped treatment, they laughed and called her names. This was in 1995.

I'd forgotten about reading about that one on Transgender Day of Remembrance. I think I got more caught up in the story of the identical twin transsexuals who were both murdered. Namely because the concept of identical twin transsexuals was completely alien to me. :/

--------------------

ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by put it in writing:

But as been asserted several time, the personal and organizations they represented where successfully sued. People are people and there are bad ones in every profession and position. But when they do not do what they are supposed to do, they suffer the consequences.
Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

To be fair, the glurge never actually states no one got punished for discrimination, although that was the strong tone of the glurge. Which is yet another problem I had with it: it presented a host of tragic situations, but in the ones with discrimination it failed to mention that there *is* recourse other than spreading a glurgy message to all who vaguely care and waiting for them to do it for you. It also doesn't say these people didn't do anything. In fact, it didn't even name names or provide proof that these things really happen, making the tone seem like a composite of things that happen all the time. It was just kind of short-sighted. I think a more powerful anti-homophobia message would have listed a handfull of GLBT-related tragedies with sources.

--------------------

ChelleGame
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChelleGame   E-mail ChelleGame   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly enough, a few months ago I started a board war elsewhere over this one. I responded that I appreciated the sentiment, but ultimately would be more moved by sincere personal stories. I, then, defined glurge. After that it all gets a little hazy and ugly, with someone I'd know for a while on the board telling me they wouldn't want to be me since I'm heartless. I said I wasn't aware that "I" was up for grabs.

Perhaps it was the clarification that dead people preaching from the grave was extra nauseating (unless you're Alice Sebold.)

--------------------
Michelle

Posts: 953 | From: Ely, Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand the message, but what I don't understand is how reposting it does anything about homophobia.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
susan_kerry
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan_kerry   E-mail susan_kerry   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably there isn't an official source who wrote this- I would be a dollar for doughnuts that are random "this is how it might be" comments rather than actual, collected, quotes. It just seems to be an excuse to pile up as many different " This isn't fair " comments as he can think of, many off the top of his head. Transexual prostitutes working the streets? Dying patients not being allowed a visitor? Real Estate agents REFUSING A SALE????
Posts: 320 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

quote:
Originally posted by susan_kerry:
Presumably there isn't an official source who wrote this- I would be a dollar for doughnuts that are random "this is how it might be" comments rather than actual, collected, quotes. It just seems to be an excuse to pile up as many different " This isn't fair " comments as he can think of, many off the top of his head. Transexual prostitutes working the streets? Dying patients not being allowed a visitor? Real Estate agents REFUSING A SALE????

We kinda got that, unless you think dead people can talk. That's our problem: it's a collection of made-up, unsubstantiated circumstances circulated in the hope of stopping things like this (and yes, things like that can and do happen, as people have stated above, but the glurge fails to add that things happen to the people who discriminate like that. The entire world does not turn a blind eye because the victim is GLBT) when it doesn't really tell us what we can do or how we can end discrimination.

What I said above was that a better glurge (good glurge?) would list real circumstances, with sources, to at least give people something to think about. No one believes that those instances above are happening or happened as they said, per se. It was meant to represent a composite for the GLBT discrimination situation, but it doesn't really do a good job of it. And even if those things are happening, or at least happening often enough that a composite can accurately present a wisespread situation, what the hell is e-mailing this/posting it on your LiveJournal and telling people to do the same going to do? It's not even slacktivism, since people do that with the knowledge that it's not actually helping the situation, just bringing it to light. All you're doing is saying "here's a list of things that can/do happen to GLBT people. Share or you're a homophobe". Sorry, being trans myself, I'd rather get off my lazy rear end and actually try to affect change. Distributing glurge isn't going to help me get a job or get into college.

--------------------

Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What I said above was that a better glurge (good glurge?) would list real circumstances, with sources, to at least give people something to think about.

Eh, I think that would move it right out of glurge into being a good, thoughtful piece. It would be anti-glurge and we always need more of that. [Smile]

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's our problem: it's a collection of made-up, unsubstantiated circumstances circulated in the hope of stopping things like this (and yes, things like that can and do happen, as people have stated above, but the glurge fails to add that things happen to the people who discriminate like that. The entire world does not turn a blind eye because the victim is GLBT) when it doesn't really tell us what we can do or how we can end discrimination.

What I said above was that a better glurge (good glurge?) would list real circumstances, with sources, to at least give people something to think about. No one believes that those instances above are happening or happened as they said, per se. It was meant to represent a composite for the GLBT discrimination situation, but it doesn't really do a good job of it. And even if those things are happening, or at least happening often enough that a composite can accurately present a wisespread situation, what the hell is e-mailing this/posting it on your LiveJournal and telling people to do the same going to do? It's not even slacktivism, since people do that with the knowledge that it's not actually helping the situation, just bringing it to light. All you're doing is saying "here's a list of things that can/do happen to GLBT people. Share or you're a homophobe". Sorry, being trans myself, I'd rather get off my lazy rear end and actually try to affect change. Distributing glurge isn't going to help me get a job or get into college.

What else can I say? This said it all.

I remember being very offended when this first hit LJ. I kept pushing the person who posted it for details. She couldn't give them and pulled out the tired old "You're Christian, therefore you're automatically a bigot!" instead.

*sigh*

I want details if things like this are going to be posted. For me, it will make them more human instead of just faceless points to be tallied off of an imaginary board.

Lady "heart aching" Moon

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What a load of crap. Since when was a mom denied their own child for being a lesbo. Even murders have to go through a termination of parental rights hearing before they lose rights to a child they mothered/fathered (if they even lose them there).

Not renting to the gays is a violation of law.

Not knowing which bathroom to use is just kind of confusing. I'm assuming it refers to transexuals but I think most half way inteligent people can figure out what society expects from them by the way they present themselves.

Ok, I do think every gym teacher I ever had was a lesbian or over 80 and I would rather see them in a home ec room. I'll agree with the OP on that point (especially with the over 80s in gym shorts... eww. The lesbians were just disturbing... mostly because they were often also over 80).

If someone is a prostitute its probably not because they are transexual. In fact I'd think the trans would be slightly less popular to most.

If someone's mom kicked them out of the house for being a lesbo then I think there are larger family problems than sexual orientation. Maybe its because the kid has a stick up their ass like the writer of this glurge and can't get a job because the only thing she can be is a whore and no one will hire her because she's gay. Oh yeah, I'm feeling the tears well up in my eyes as I type the griefs...not.

All people can get attacked and abused. If this glurge wants to show it happens more often to gays than say blacks or fowl mouthed, drunken rednecks I'd like some references. I had a two month old, white, redheaded, and to my knowledge not gay, two month old child murdered. There are crap people in this world that do violent things. Not every bad thing is because you caught the gay.

Additional, if a father is too insecure to hug his own son he's the one that's f-ed up. I've even known homophobes and they aren't that freaking nutty.

As far as the paramedic thing goes I say SUE! Hell, they have to deal with junkies and everything else all day. I think one of the job requirements is to be non-judgemental. Although, again, there are a few bad apples but they should quickly be tossed to the trash bin.

If a church is on your ass become a methodist. I ain't religious but their are plenty of religions out there that are accepting. Hell, become a fairy worshiping pagan. Don't get your panties in a wad over it.

While I'd never bash homos, the pink pistols not only vote for me but they also scare me (their slogan is "armed gays don't get bashed", I will say that the above glurge makes me less than sympathetic to the cause.

Chim "one shouldn't go around head butting the choir" era

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
What a load of crap. Since when was a mom denied their own child for being a lesbo.

A mother who lost an Alabama child-custody case because of her homosexuality

Lesbian biological mother could be denied custody of her child on the grounds that her sexual orientation rendered her unfit as a parent

Lesbian Mom Appeals Decision Granting Child Custody To Convicted Killer Dad

Lesbian Mom Loses Custody

Seven lesbian mothers who lost custody, plus a bit of job discrimination thrown in for good measure

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Chimera, I wrote a huge post to you which I lost when my computer froze. I mean it: I addressed each of your points in turn. But I can summarize my entire position quickly and come back to it when I am not about to take a hacksaw to my computer:

You seem to live in this isolated little bubble where if you don't see things or don't understand things, then they don't happen or they're wrong. You're taking your own personal issues out on a group that you displayed repeatedly your ignorance about.

Yes, there are people who will disown their kids for no reason other than they are gay or trans, despite them having no other major "personality flaws". It's great that you never would, but overly optimistic that you think no one else would. This world sucks. You said it yourself, more or less.

Don't make judgements on transsexuals just because you've never met one. There's something called the "transitioning process", where before recieving any kind of hormone treatments or surgery the person has to live as their desired sex for a year. Which means applying for (and probably being denied) a job. Which means going into the "wrong" bathroom, not bothering another soul, and using the facilities. There is a market for transsexual prostitutes and pornography, and a lot of transsexuals end up turning to it because they need the money for a very expensive procedure. A visit to a transsexual message board would let you know all of this.

We have stated repeatedly that the glurge is making it sound like the people who do these things aren't getting punished and that it's wrong. The family of the transsexual the paramedics and hospital let die did sue, and the people responsible were punished. Nothing to see here, move along.

And furthermore, are you of the mind that no one has the right to ask not to be descriminated against, because your two year old son died? That's what it sounds like. Everyone else in the world must suffer unfairness because you did. It's a tragedy and we feel for you, we really do. Which already puts us a step above you, since you don't seem to have it in your heart to return the sympathy for anyone. What happened to you has no bearing on whether GLBT people should be treated with a measure of respect or not.

And FYI, transsexuals aren't a protected minority in most states. I can only think of one state where they are (New Mexico). Which means, yes, a person can say "you're transsexual and that will be disruptive to our company, so we can't hire you" and there's nothing the transsexual can do. Again with living in your pristine little bubble where all unfairness is deserved and wrongs are avenged. If you had bothered to look this up rather than making a rash generalization, you'd know this. And yes, transsexuals are trying to fix this.

ETA: Also, just because you're an athiest doesn't mean that everyone doesn't have deeply-held personal beliefs and that they can change their belief structure at the drop of a hat. A person who sincerely believes in the divinity of Christ doesn't want to be Jewish, even if Reform Judaism welcomes GLBT people. A person who sincerely believes in saints doesn't want to be methodist, they want to be Catholic. I want to be Jewish, not a "fairy worshipping pagan". It's not a crime to be asked to worship however and where ever you want, just because you believe God has better things to worry about than who sticks what in what orifice. To you, religion is religion is religion. It's all a crock in the end. But to other people, people who truly have strongly held beliefs, it's not.

--------------------

magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is "lesbo" an accepted term to use now? Around here it's on the same level as calling someone a "fag".
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No lesbo is probably not an accepted term but the glurge makes me not give a damn.

BTW who said I never met a transexual? A previous guy I went to highschool made the switch as did a good friend of mine I met after college. Didn't keep in touch much with the highschool classmate but it did make for an interesting reunion. However I was there for most of the other friends process. Believe it or not my friend was a DJ and his company didn't see any reason for him/her to leave after she became a woman. They were very understanding but as soon as she got her new name and driver license (this was after some time of hormones, operations, electralisis, etc.) she changed careers. I'm not saying no one cares but there are quite a few people out there that don't really give a damn what gender you are. Transexuals might not be a protected class but gender and often sexual orientation is so I think it could get messy even for those that have a problem with it.

Hmm, I've been sexually intimate with a female before... does that mean I'm a lesbian? Can I make fun of them/us since I've been there and done that? Am I excluded because its in poor taste or just because I tend to perfer a pole to a hole? Hell, I once bought some inflatable livestock for someone before. I'm really not all that judgemental. I know there are some people who are but I'm finding that a great deal of the population doesn't really give a damn.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the worst part about this piece, is that it assumes that whoever wrote it can empathize with these people. That they can understand their pain/trouble by posting something on their profile or whatever. I've never liked the "I am this, I am that" format for this reason.

In any case, anyone who thinks there isn't still a lot of discrimination going on this world is naive and wrong, and I think that's the point of the piece. I just don't like the way it's written, but even in our enlightened modern society there are a lot of people who just came out of their caves.

Then again, life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Open Mike Night
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Open Mike Night     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to reply to a few of your points

quote:

Not renting to the gays is a violation of law.

Not in My State. There is no anti discrimination based on sexual preference. But, the OP mentions that the real estate person chose not to do business since they were gay, not that the real estate agent chose not to rent. To counter your point with a personal example, In 2004, I sold my house, and bought another one. When I decided to sell, I called several real estate agents to give me a a pitch to sell my house. One walked in, gave the pitch, did a tour of the house. When he realized there was only 1 bed, and two men, and lots of pictures of us as a couple, he packed up his information, let us know that he would be unable to represent us, and left.

quote:

If someone's mom kicked them out of the house for being a lesbo then I think there are larger family problems than sexual orientation. Maybe its because the kid has a stick up their ass like the writer of this glurge and can't get a job because the only thing she can be is a whore and no one will hire her because she's gay. Oh yeah, I'm feeling the tears well up in my eyes as I type the griefs...not.

What the? Sometimes non-whore gay children get kicked out of the house, simply because they are gay. It happens.

--------------------
On the crusade to eliminate Moral Asshattery wherever it exists
Member: AAMAH

Posts: 2940 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Chimera, I am not going to say much to you because the fact that you glossed over 90% of what I said to you says to me that my initial analysis of you is right: you live in your own little version of the world and Deity-of-Choice-or-Absence-Thereof help whoever tries to enlighten you or educate you. All I can say is if you have transsexual friends, I feel very sorry for them for having such a closed-minded friend who thinks that the should avoid vital parts of the transitioning process because everyone else won't like it.

Also, I have no clue where your last paragraph came from. I never said anything about being able to identify with a group making you a member of that group. Hell, I still put the A at the end of GLBT when I am talking about the anti-descrimination movement. I said that your problem was that you refuse to see other people's points of view and then justify it by personal tragedy, when it is neither here nor there. You claim that any hardship anyone else has ever had to endure doesn't matter in the fact of what you have faced. And you are more than welcome to hold that opinion, but keep it in your own little pristine bubble, all right? Don't lash out against a group of people you obviously know little to nothing about (and having what amounts to "that one experience at summer camp" doesn't make you the end-all openminded expert on GLBT issues, especially since you don't seem to realize/believe what happens to gay or trans people) or use derogatory remarks for no reason other than the glurge was, as is general consensus, mildly annoying at best and moderately offensive at worse. If reading about situations that actually happen presented without sources in do-nothing glurge form offends you so much, take it out on the glurge writers, not people who are gay, trans, or friendly/sympathetic to those that are.

--------------------

Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No lesbo is probably not an accepted term but the glurge makes me not give a damn.

"Lesbo" is VERY offensive, as is "HOMO." I equate it with calling a black person a "nigger."

If glurge upsets you so much that you lose all sense of decorum, perhaps you should refrain from reading it and posting about it.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 105 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
I understand the message, but what I don't understand is how reposting it does anything about homophobia.

I would tend to agree. I would think a true homophobe would merely say, "See, this is what you get for being gay" or "If you weren't gay, these things wouldn't happen."

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
react2distract
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for react2distract   E-mail react2distract   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also, I have no clue where your last paragraph came from. I never said anything about being able to identify with a group making you a member of that group. Hell, I still put the A at the end of GLBT when I am talking about the anti-descrimination movement. I said that your problem was that you refuse to see other people's points of view and then justify it by personal tragedy, when it is neither here nor there. You claim that any hardship anyone else has ever had to endure doesn't matter in the fact of what you have faced. And you are more than welcome to hold that opinion, but keep it in your own little pristine bubble, all right? Don't lash out against a group of people you obviously know little to nothing about (and having what amounts to "that one experience at summer camp" doesn't make you the end-all openminded expert on GLBT issues, especially since you don't seem to realize/believe what happens to gay or trans people) or use derogatory remarks for no reason other than the glurge was, as is general consensus, mildly annoying at best and moderately offensive at worse. If reading about situations that actually happen presented without sources in do-nothing glurge form offends you so much, take it out on the glurge writers, not people who are gay, trans, or friendly/sympathetic to those that are.

I'm fairly certain I know what the G, L, B, and T represent, but I'm curious what the A would denote. Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, if I've seen it I don't recall it.
Posts: 121 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Allies, I think.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honey Bunching Oats
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Honey Bunching Oats   E-mail Honey Bunching Oats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What's a glurge without a bible quote? I think you should put this quote at the end:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, 'Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in.
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.'
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, 'Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?'
And the King shall answer and say unto them, 'Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.'

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, 'Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.'

Then shall they also answer him, saying, 'Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?'

Then shall he answer them, saying, 'Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.'
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

Matthew 25:31-46

--------------------
"When we talk about democracy, if the people's stomach is empty, democracy is also empty. Democracy cannot be installed by fiat; it must be achieved by the people themselves." Y.C. James Yen (1893-1990)

Posts: 146 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

To answer the questions, yes, A is allies. It used to be on the end of GLBT, then it disappeared, and lately it's been replaces by Q (questioning). Personally, I like this acronym: GLBTAQOMGWTFBBQ.

--------------------

Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't find HOMO or LESBO offensive but maybe it's different on this side of the pond.

I'm probably going to piss some people off here but I don't personally think the 'T' should be included on LGB. It's not necessarily the same issue, if they're gay as well they're already covered, if they're not then we're not campaigning for the same thing.

This was actually a big issue at our NUS LGB Conferences as to whether the 'T' should be on the end (the motion to add it never got through at the ones I attended). Basically because it was a society campaigning for gay rights, not sexual minorities.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Guy Named Goo
Carol of the Bills

Being on the other side of your gap, Dactyl, I actually agree with you: being gay and being transgendered/transsexual is not the same thing. Having a same-sex attraction is not the same as being biologically ill-fit to your body. I often said I think T just got thrown onto the LGB thing because people think all issues of sexuality and gender are alike when they're not. (Moreover, I also think it's for merchandising. I have found it much easier to find things with the rainbow flag, and I wear a rainbow triangle necklace, than it is to find the pink and blue trans awareness flag.)

I consider myself a heterosexual man. I do not identify with lesbians or gay men at all. I completely support their right to be with who they want and marry who they want 100% percent, and I am glad that most of them support my effort to live as a man, but I think we are allies, not two halves of the same coin, so to speak. Gay people don't need to have years of counseling, medication, and surgery to get what they want, and likewise, most trans people (unless they're gay as well, and most of the FTM transsexuals I've met so far actually have been gay, although that is by far not me stating that most are) don't know what it's like to deal with the stigma attached to same-sex couples (if they are post-op or transitioning well. I have been caught with my girlfriends and people have thought I was a lesbian before, so I guess in some way I get it).

I am not going to say "trans people have it harder than gay people". I am just saying that I agree it's a separate movement, but until we have our own movement, I've gotta follow the crowd and piggyback on the GLB cause like the rest of us. Sorry if you don't like us there, but that's where we're going to stay for a while.

--------------------

Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think, the big difference should be that (after all I think I figured the letters out, too) GLB would be no problem in an ideal society, whereas T still would be (with "T is problem" I mean: to the ones affected).

Just out of curiosity: if you call a "T" gay/lesbian, would that refer to the "outer" or "inner" sex (if you understand my question, this is a topic you don't handle at school [Smile] )

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends on the point in the transition, I suppose. If a person born a male hasn't started living as a woman yet, but is a lesbian female inside, then you'd be referring to the inner sex. After she's transitioned and living full time as a woman, you'd be referring to the outer sex.

It was very hard to keep the pronouns straight in that sentence.

Aimee "Yet another reason why we need a gender-neutral pronoun!" Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dancing Dragon
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Dancing Dragon   E-mail Dancing Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:

I would tend to agree. I would think a true homophobe would merely say, "See, this is what you get for being gay" or "If you weren't gay, these things wouldn't happen."
Case in point: In high school in Kentucky, I would often get into debates/arguments with pCm classmates about gay and minority religion rights. Several times, they literally came out and said "Well, if they didn't decide to be gay/non-Christian, it wouldn't happen."

Where's that wallbanging smiley when you need it?

Posts: 213 | From: Point of Rocks, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages