snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Great Debates of the 21st Century (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Great Debates of the 21st Century
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:
Geeks are sexy, it's a scientific fact.

I'm sexy!

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
No, Snopes you KILLED them! Because you didn't boycott Coke! See what you did?
That's right -- next December we'll be worshipping the birth of (and receiving presents delivered by) a polar bear.

- snopes

YES! I have ARRIVED! I was quoted by Dad! WOO-HOO!

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 08 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is prostitution the oldest profession?
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think not. It'd be a stupid thing to do, as your clients would all tell you "put it on my tab" until other jobs would be invented so that they could earn some money.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess it would depend on what the definition of a profession is. If you want to go with the loosest definition, that would be, "Some manner of work done to obtain food and/or shelter." In that case, the oldest profession would be gatherer, followed by hunter, then farmer.

If you go with the more common modern definition of "Some manner of work done in exchange for food and shelter." then the oldest profession would probably be a wise man / shamen. Someone who was too old/weak to gather/hunt/farm, but knew tricks and secrets that could be exchanged for food and shelter.

Gen
"Step 1: Find a regular, period event, such as falling sand, dripping water, swinging pendulum, oscillating flywheel, vibrating quartz/atom, or AC cycle
Step 2: Create an incrimented method to measure the event found in Step 2"
Yus

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Is prostitution the oldest profession?

No, the oldest profession is begging. Someone had to ask first.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 08 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chi-Chi's Salsa may be more 'saucy' than one might think. Is the name of this product and former restaurant chain really a vulgar word in
Spanish? I once was friends with a Venezuelan who, on a night we were at the restaurant, gleefully told my companions "Chi-Chi's means boobies!"

Chi-Chi Rodriguez has a lot of explaining to do on the golf links, then.

Unless they meant the other Chi-Chi Rodriguez. In which case, I guess "fake boobies" works out.

Trish "Long live John Leguizamo" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol] Trish. Why is that little Latin boy in drag crying?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 81 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from Ron Mexico:
[lol] Trish. Why is that little Latin boy in drag crying?

Well, at least he doesn't have to worry about Sherrif Dullard any more.

PT "Was that in bad taste?" Vroman

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
PT "Was that in bad taste?" Vroman
Perhaps ever so slightly, but I laughed anyway.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chi chis is slang for titties, but it is not exclusively used in that context. Kind of like how "buns" can mean butt cheeks or baked goods.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
Chi chis is slang for titties, but it is not exclusively used in that context. Kind of like how "buns" can mean butt cheeks or baked goods.

Baps being slang for breasts makes the url for the British Association of Plastic Surgeons all the more suitable.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 84 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: im having an argument with some friends and i've looked on-line
and apparently were not the only ones. on the movie american pie does
stiffler call finch shitbrick or shitbreak.

stupid i know but this must get put to rest.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 506 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My swifter had set unused for about 4 months as we were away.
Today I tried to use it and will not spray. It sounds as though it is
spraying but nothing comes out. It must be plugged. Is there a way to
clear the liquid hose??

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 601 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I would like to know what the difference is in a Plasma
widescreen ED and a Plasma HDTV widescreen TV and can a Plasma be both ED
and HDTV? Thank You.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 505 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: "A cockroach breaks wind every 15 minutes, reports a Dutch
physicist; it also continues to release methane for 18 hours after death."

Any truth to this??

Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: "A cockroach breaks wind every 15 minutes, reports a Dutch physicist; it also continues to release methane for 18 hours after death."

Any truth to this??

Ask the Dutch physicist. [Razz]

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "But wouldn't a biologist know better?" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see where a physicist would be particularly interested in the flatulent emanations of a cockroach, unless he is studying whether or not said methane poots would be sufficient to propel the deceased roach from its place of demise...say the shelf at the local campus pizzaria... onto the large thin crust with pepperoni and anchovies sitting on the counter below, waiting for the oven.

ETA-Hey kids! This would be a great science project. "Do dead roaches poot?" Your parents would be so proud!

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:
I don't see where a physicist would be particularly interested in the flatulent emanations of a cockroach, unless he is studying whether or not said methane poots would be sufficient to propel the deceased roach from its place of demise...say the shelf at the local campus pizzaria... onto the large thin crust with pepperoni and anchovies sitting on the counter below, waiting for the oven.

Are you projecting onto the e-mail, Bettie? And if so, we want the back story!

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Originally posted by Bettie Page Turner:
I don't see where a physicist would be particularly interested in the flatulent emanations of a cockroach, unless he is studying whether or not said methane poots would be sufficient to propel the deceased roach from its place of demise...say the shelf at the local campus pizzaria... onto the large thin crust with epperoni and anchovies sitting on the counter below, waiting for the oven.

Are you projecting onto the e-mail, Bettie? And if so, we want the back story!
Obviously the physicist is studying the possibility of harnessing this free fuel to use to fire up pizza ovens all over forward-thinking Europe. It would be the latest eco-trend..."Roach-roasted, and environmentally friendly." Of course there would be protests from the Kindness to Cockroaches League, and the usual NFBSK arguments about how it was cruel and undignified to desecrate the little chitinous corpses with the Meth-vac 3000 collection tubes. Bah, I say. Reduce our dependence on oil! Support cockroach methane poot research!

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Dear Snopes,

Help! My brother keeps insiting that E.T. (the extraterrestial) was a Jedi
(from Star Wars) and i say that he wasn't. Is there any way you could find
out who's right and if E.T. was a Jedi?

Members of E.T.'s species were in Star Wars Episode I, but they weren't Jedis. There were E.T. representatives in the huge spheroidal galactic Senate.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gerard Morvan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gerard Morvan   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Members of E.T.'s species were in Star Wars Episode I, but they weren't Jedis. There were E.T. representatives in the huge spheroidal galactic Senate.
And ET himself recognized Yoda during Halloween.

--------------------
"Kentoc'h Mervel !"

Posts: 388 | From: France | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My Question is about a drain
clog remover commercial. The line in it says they send the clog away, far
away. The video portion that has led up to this line shows a hair ball of
gook landing in the middle of a resturant table in an obviously French
resturant, possibly in France. The commercial is really funny to me, I'm
sure the French won't like it, but I was wondering if the message that I
am getting was the intent of the producers of this commercial.

Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was wondering if the message that I am getting was the intent of the producers of this commercial.
The message is that their specific drain clog remover removes clogs from drains. Is that the message you got?

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 82 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: what's the deal with heinz 57? there is no restaurant that is
carring it and the grocery stores as well. we live in Oklahoma.

TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It got changed to Heinz 56 because of Joe DiMaggio.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: In your Humor category, the logo shows 7 ballons, Why are there
only six strings?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 601 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Who is Jerry Arbuckle and what show was he affiliated with?
arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the logo shows 7 ballons, Why are there
only six strings?

Because one balloon hasn't got a string attached?

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: IN 1992 the Republicans were Blue states, in 1996 they were red,
why did the media change?

Squoval

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So that we could now honestly state that there is a new "Red scare".

--------------------

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: There's no way that a guy can be one the phone, getting a bj,
watching a game with food near by. Men just can't multi-task like that.
Now if you were telling us it was a woman on woman thing - then I'd be
inclined to believe that one.

Squoval

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Makes you wonder what brought about that email.

--------------------

rockland6674
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 211 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: There's no way that a guy can be one the phone, getting a bj, watching a game with food near by. Men just can't multi-task like that.

[testosterone surge] Is that a challenge? [/testosterone surge]
Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rockland6674:
quote:
Comment: There's no way that a guy can be one the phone, getting a bj, watching a game with food near by. Men just can't multi-task like that.

[testosterone surge] Is that a challenge? [/testosterone surge]
Yeah, I asked my husband this and his answer was "I don't know, why don't you come over here and we will find out"....

butthead....

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages