snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » How not to get on this message board (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: How not to get on this message board
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rockland6674:
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
Is the registration process so much more complicated than it was when I registered 3 1/2 years ago, or are these people really so dumb they're having that much trouble figuring it out?

I think part of the problem is that too many people nowadays think they're entitled to instant gratification. They register, wait 15 seconds, and, when they can't log in, go ballistic and fire off idiotic e-mails like the one submitted by our friend, who thinks that SHOUTING will make snopes take him/her more seriously. [Roll Eyes]
I logged out and clicked on the Register link. Pretty much exactly like I remembered it. Virtually all the complaints snopes is posting are clearly covered on the registration page, not even in the FAQs which people are directed to read before they register. Makes you wonder what these people would bring to the forum if they can't read the registration form.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: THE E-MAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU SAY IS ANOTHERS IS MINE !!!! I HAVE TRIED TO REGISTER 6 TIMES AND GET ALL KINDS OF WRONG ENTERED DATA.
Maybe the system's telling you your e-mail address is already in use is related to the fact that you tried to register an additional half-dozen times after completing the registration form the first time.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
It's not often you see someone take three shots at punctuation and get all of them wrong.

Uh, snopes, have you read some of the entries in this forum? Some people really do think period is a dirty word.
Some people only get a period once a month! Maybe this person is one of those?

[fish]

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 216 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: CAN WE JUST FORGET YESTERDAY PLEASE?? NOTHING IS PERFECT.

IF YOU WISH TO INTERVIEW ME, PLEASE DO.

I >>REALLY< AM NOT "IN" I TRIED BUT STILL GET REJECTED.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Molasses Cellany
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molasses Cellany   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: CAN WE JUST FORGET YESTERDAY PLEASE?? NOTHING IS PERFECT.

Yes, but the llama is scarred for life.

--------------------
Not Mandatory

Posts: 398 | From: Yuma, AZ | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 506 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: THIS CANNOT BE SOLVED ON YOUR WHAT'S NEW OR SEARCH ENGINE OR THE REST. YOU ARE REJECTING MY OWN E-MAIL ADDRESS AND AGAIN I REGISTERED 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!
rockland6674
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 101 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: THIS CANNOT BE SOLVED ON YOUR WHAT'S NEW OR SEARCH ENGINE OR THE REST. YOU ARE REJECTING MY OWN E-MAIL ADDRESS AND AGAIN I REGISTERED 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!

Will our hero triumph over his own idiocy?
Does anyone care??

Don't miss a single exciting [Roll Eyes] episode of "The (Mis)Adventures of CAPTAIN CAPS", on the ULMB Network!

Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Drainfluid
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drainfluid   E-mail Drainfluid   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now this is worth getting the popcorn for!

*munch munch*

Anyone want some while we wait for the next installment?

Posts: 305 | From: South Africa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
THIS CANNOT BE SOLVED ON YOUR WHAT'S NEW OR SEARCH ENGINE
Why has this person been putting his e-mail in the search engine? And why does he think it'll be in the What's New section?

I'm so confused.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
THIS CANNOT BE SOLVED ON YOUR WHAT'S NEW OR SEARCH ENGINE
Why has this person been putting his e-mail in the search engine? And why does he think it'll be in the What's New section?

I'm so confused.

Maybe he thought the search engine or the What's New page would provide him with a link to a FAQ or some kind of tech support page that would offer a solution to the "technical difficulties" he's having

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: SINCE I AM OLD SCHOOL AND IT IS CLEAR THAT YOU ARE NEW SCHOOL

So snopes and this guy are both rappers?

quote:
YOUR SITE WAS HIGHLY RECOMENDED FROM A 30 YEAR WEBMASTER
She's been a webmaster for 30 years? But the World Wide Web has only been around since the early 1990s.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 506 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe he thought the search engine or the What's New page would provide him with a link to a FAQ or some kind of tech support page that would offer a solution to the "technical difficulties" he's having.
He's referring to the auto-reply message received by people who send comments through the site, which directs them to try using the search engine or looking at the "What's New" page to find an entry for their topic of interest.

- snopes

NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I almost feel sorry for this guy (note the almost) and the others like him, but if they're having such difficulty reading directions, they probably wouldn't last long here, anyway. I think it took about 2 days for me to get the password, and another couple to realize that I did have it (I got busy with real life or something silly like that). Wow, 4 whole days (maybe more). And the world didn't end? Yeah, patience, what a concept. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

I do kinda understand the instant gratification thing. I'm sure many of us registered because we were lurking and saw something we wanted to comment on. I could see how after waiting for a password one might forget what they wanted to say. Add that to the fact that we're used to things being handled automatically by computers, we tend to expect an instant response.

Of course, it does say right therre in the registration instructions that snopes has to approve their registration, so they lose a lot of my sympathy because of that.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I do kinda understand the instant gratification thing.
Sure, but the case in point isn't an example of someone impatiently awaiting a password; it's an example of someone with a complete and utter lack of understanding of how this message board works. I could mail him a password six times a day every day for the next two weeks, and he'd still be complaining that he isn't registered and can't get in.

- snopes

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I logged out and clicked on the Register link. Pretty much exactly like I remembered it. Virtually all the complaints snopes is posting are clearly covered on the registration page, not even in the FAQs which people are directed to read before they register. Makes you wonder what these people would bring to the forum if they can't read the registration form.
My point exactly. The very first registration screen (the one you have click a button to indicate you've read before you proceed further) explains that your password will not be mailed until your registration has been approved. It also includes links to (and directs registrants to read) the FAQ, which similarly explains that passwords are mailed only after registration approval. And on top of all that, every applicant receives a registration acknowledgement via e-mail that explains the same thing. Yet people still register, immediately try to log in using a password of their own choosing, then send us impatient e-mails complaining that their passwords don't work.

- snopes

NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is my first day on the message board. I have been reading along for months and I decided that I wasn't wasting enough time so I registered on March 21. I didn't expect to get on right away because I was told it would take two days. Two days later, and there was my password.

As my I T friends would say, these people have an RTFM problem.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[ot]Welcome to the boards, Northern Lite![/ot]

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 606 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Cannot understand why I cannot be a member. I have accolades but you seem to not want me in. I have credability you could not find and I am 60 the 21st of this month. I requestedan interview & receive auto-reply's.

I did not know snopes would bother to hold a grudge or the like.

It is baggage and I did not comit a crime. I made an error and requested help & received a not so nice answer.

Think you are so sharp, I shall send you an E-mail of pictures. See how many you get. It is clean & CooL.

Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cannot understand why I cannot be a member. I have accolades but you seem to not want me in.
Well you may have accolades, but do they match mine? No? Goodbye.

quote:
I have credability you could not find and I am 60 the 21st of this month.
Non sequitur, you say? (With apologies to snopes)

And while you may have credability, you obviously don't have spellcheck.

quote:
I requestedan interview & receive auto-reply's.
But A. Reply is our best interviewer.

Now look what you done. You done go and hurt his feelings. And I hate when Mr. Reply has hurt feelings like this. He gets all temperamental and refuses to come out of the crawl space.

quote:
It is baggage and I did not comit a crime. I made an error and requested help & received a not so nice answer.
Okay, anyone else curious now about this one?

quote:
Think you are so sharp, I shall send you an E-mail of pictures. See how many you get. It is clean & CooL.
[Confused]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Snopes, it's very clever of you to have the first test of applicants so early, to weed out folks like this. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am 60 the 21st of this month.

Am I the only one who immediately expected him to follow this up with "I was in a war, you know"? [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 03 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Am I the only one who immediately expected him to follow this up with "I was in a war, you know"?
Don't forget: "P.S. I am not a crank!"

- snopes

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 102 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have credability you could not find
He couldn't be more right about that one ...

- snopes

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
YOU ARE REJECTING MY OWN E-MAIL ADDRESS AND AGAIN I REGISTERED 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!
Apologies to Mythbusters, but I have to do it...

I reject your email, and substitute my own!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I was not required to type in a password, so I did not enter it. As a result, I cannot get into your site?? I can give you a password, but where do I enter it?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Not recognizing my password. I just registered, so I haven’t forgotten it!
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Not recognizing my password. I just registered, so I haven’t forgotten it!

snopes, have you ever considered mentioning somewhere during the registration process that their password will be e-mailed to them? It might help to alleviate the confusion.

[fish]

--------------------

notgillcup
Deck the Malls

Icon 101 posted      Profile for notgillcup     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Cannot understand why I cannot be a member. I have accolades but you seem to not want me in. I have credability you could not find and I am 60 the 21st of this month. I requestedan interview & receive auto-reply's.

Even though the entire message is as loopy as a bowl of Cheerios, I can sort of understand what the writer is trying to say. Except for the bolded parts. What the NFBSK? Any ideas?

PS. I think my favourite part is "It is clean & CooL". It's not "Clean & Cool" or "clean & cool", or even "Clean and Cool"; whatever "it" is, it must be "clean & CooL".

Posts: 264 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're requiring resumes and interviews now? Boy, I'm glad I joined when I did.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rockland6674

Icon 302 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I was not required to type in a password, so I did not enter it.

I never received snopes' notification that passwords are now optional. Damn Netscape! [Mad] [Roll Eyes]

quote:
I can give you a password, but where do I enter it?

Could someone please tell this person where to stick his (optional) password?
Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast

quote:
Originally posted by notgillcup:
quote:

Even though the entire message is as loopy as a bowl of Cheerios, I can sort of understand what the writer is trying to say. Except for the bolded parts. What the NFBSK? Any ideas?

PS. I think my favourite part is "It is clean & CooL". It's not "Clean & Cool" or "clean & cool", or even "Clean and Cool"; whatever "it" is, it must be "clean & CooL".

I think, based on his previous emails, that this guy believes that snopes' requirement for an accurate name and location in profiles and the fact that snopes approves new members rather than instantly granting access must be because snopes is running criminal background checks on prospective members or something. I have no idea what "baggage" refers to, but I think he thinks he can't log in because snopes thinks he is a criminal.

As for the second part, he mistakenly believes that optional field for posting a picture in your profile is mandatory as well, and that snopes requires a picture as part of his his "background check." But he can't figure out how to post a picture in his profile, so he apparently sent snopes pictures of himself in an email. He's saying "If you really need a picture to approve my membership, here you go. See, it's all cool." He thinks sending snopes a picture will help with his login problem.

--------------------

notgillcup
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notgillcup     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That makes some sense. Thanks, Wildabeast. I guess we'll never know about "baggage". Perhaps [hopefully] English is not the writer's first language, and the writer meant to use a different word.

Wow, I'm glad snopes doesn't require a clean criminal background check for membership. Just kidding. [Wink] No, seriously. [Frown] Yeah, just kidding. [Big Grin]

Posts: 264 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I signed up and rec'd a "you're registered" message but danged if I don't
know a password, as your form didn't ever ask me to set on up. So does
this make me the dumbest person of the day? Regardless, how do I get
set-up./ get a pw?

rockland6674

Icon 101 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So does this make me the dumbest person of the day?

[Magic 8-Ball™] YES, DEFINITELY. [/Magic 8-Ball™]
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages