snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Scam me twice, shame on me . . . (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Scam me twice, shame on me . . .
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 98 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/nigeria.htm

Comment: good day sir/ma,
my name is usman abdulahi i am the chairman of the financial
aid in nigeria.
my aiim of writting this lettrer is to inform you that thje
rate which nigerians has been sending scam mail is much and has also been
collecting money from people in other countries.we are sending this
lettrer to every body who has nigerians must have stolen their money to
please send us a mail and the information on how they collected yoiur
money and the money will be sent to you.
the number of 1000 m,en has been caught running scams and has
been arrested .we also went further on and saw the sum of $32million in
their account and now this money has to be shared to every body who has
lost their .i want you to send me a mail; if your was stollen so that we
refund the money to you and also send us full information on how they
collected it .i am expecting to hear from you to refund you your money if
you have lost any.
thanks
usman abdulahi

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Teodoro
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teodoro   E-mail Teodoro   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pure genious!

--------------------
The cow is of the bovine ilk;
One end is moo, the other, milk.
- O. Nash

Posts: 185 | From: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oy vey iz mir
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oy vey iz mir   E-mail Oy vey iz mir   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah hah.... oh my. You should add that to the page if you haven't already. [lol]
Posts: 351 | From: Fairbanks, AK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lamentable Fowl
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing I find saddest about this is that anyone getting "tricked back" or who you send abusive mail to is not the original scammer.

I have several Nigerian friends who explained this to me. Basically there are guys collecting internet addresses and personal information, they compile a list in a .txt file which they place on a floppy disk along with the full text of an e-mail that is "guaranteed" to yield profits from rich people abroad that have too much money anyway.

They then travel from place to place looking for young and gullible people (usually unemployed men in their early twenties) and sell them the floppy disks as a sure way to turn your life around. They claim to have started out in small villages themselves before someone came along with a floppy disk and they were lucky enough to spend all their family's money on it. Of course this is a lie, but to uneducated semi-literate Nigerians it seems too good a chance to pass up. They buy the disk, then spend whatever little they have left in an internet cafe sending out these junk e-mails.

What do they get in return? Abuse. Meanwhile the real scammers are laughing all the way to the spot under their mattress where they keep the dough.

--- G.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KeithB

Sorry, but from those that answer back and string these fellows on it is clear that the scammers know what they are doing.

These are not poor innocent rubes, but real con-men.

Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What KeithB said.

From various reports on these scams, these "poor innocent rubes" have money to spend on digital cameras, scanners, image editing programs, several "comedians" complete with various costumes, random chemical products to help with their face-to-face bluff...

Not saying that all scammers are pros, or that Morrison's story does not have truth in it, but to claim that the bulk of them are innocent guys who don't know better is pushing it without more than FOAF accounts...

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Maybe some of them are Keith, but I'm just reporting what I hear from people who have been offered these "starter packs". Maybe some who buy them are well off, I dunno, but these disks can be bought all over Nigeria regardless.

I agree it's just incidental reports and doesn't have any statistical meaning, but there are a lot of young and poor morons in internet cafes that spend their days sending these things out. Whether they are a majority or a minority I have no way of knowing.

As for "knowing what they are doing" - I've seen replies from scammers that are being strung-on that don't indicate anything more than a grade-school understanding of English. Basically it can range from "SEND ME THESE MONEY TODAY YES PLEASE OK?" to "Dear sir, with regards to our transaction..."

--- G.

pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would imagine it's like any mass sales commission scheme. Some people do well, most don't. Some people can make a lot of money off of door-to-door sales or Amway, or Mary Kay etc. Most don't. And running a Nigerian scam is a little trickier than those...you have to play the mark just right or you'll lose him. Just because someone responds (and few do) doesn't mean you'll get a dime unless you're good.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A number of anti-scammers report that there seems to be a hierarchy. Low level lads send out the initial emails and make the first responses--which are often canned. After a couple of exchanges, when it looks like they have a sucker, the correspondence is turned over to someone else. The sucker is handed off to an "attorney" or "bank manager" or some such, who is a higher-up boss. So it's entirely possible that somebody is sold a starter kit and then given a commmission or a cut from the money the scammers get.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KeithB

quote:
Originally posted by Morrison's Lamentable Fowl:
As for "knowing what they are doing" - I've seen replies from scammers that are being strung-on that don't indicate anything more than a grade-school understanding of English. Basically it can range from "SEND ME THESE MONEY TODAY YES PLEASE OK?" to "Dear sir, with regards to our transaction..."

--- G.

Which means they don't know english very well - This does not mean that they are not good con-men.

Or, the poor english is part of the con. It makes the mark feel a little superior and smug which is very helpful to the con.

I think that KathyB has it on the head. The pros are used to reel the mark in.

Yup, I think KathyB may have nailed this one.

--- G.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm . . . I received this response to my inquiry:

-----------------------------------

hello friend ,

i can oly help you if you have been fraude by nigerians and if not i can not help.if you have been fraude give me thje full details on how they collected you money and it will be sent back to you.

thanks

usman abdulahi

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: HELLO SALES,
GREETING FROM KEVIN SMITH, I WILL LIKE TO PURCHASE SOME ITEMS FROM YOUR STORE AND I WANT THE ITEMS TO BE SHIP TO MY STORE IN NIGERIA ( KEVINSMITHTORE ) IN NIGERIA AND I WILL BE VERY HAAPY IF YOU CAN ADVICE ME THAT YOU SHIP TO DESTINATION AND THIS ORDER IS URGENTLY NEEDED IN MY STORE AND I WANT THE TRANSACTION OF THE GOODS TO BE DONE VERY FAST AND METHOD OF MY PAYMENT WITH BE DONE BY MY AMERICAN CREDIT CARD VISA CARD AND MASTER CARD IF MY QUESTION IS YES I WILL LIKE YOU KINDLY GET BACK TO ME WITH HOW MUCH IS THE SHIPPING COST TO NIGERIA VIA DHL OR USPS INCLUDING YOUR WEB SITE SO THAT I CAN GIVE YOU THE ITEMS LIST I NEEDED FROM YOUR STORE BELOW.
I WILL BE WAITING TO READ THE COMFIRMATION OF MY REQUEST FROM YOU.
BEST REAGRD.
KEVIN SMITH.

Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
hello friend ,

i can oly help you if you have been fraude by nigerians and if not i can not help.if you have been fraude give me thje full details on how they collected you money and it will be sent back to you.

thanks

usman abdulahi

Maybe usman just wants advice on how to conduct a good scam.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
GREETING FROM KEVIN SMITH,

THIS ORDER IS URGENTLY NEEDED IN MY STORE AND I WANT THE TRANSACTION OF THE GOODS TO BE DONE VERY FAST ....

First of all, I didn't know that Jay and Silent Bob relocated to Nigeria (maybe that's why they're not going to be in any more movies!). Second, I didn't realize that Nigeria was running low on Urban Legends. Maybe we can send them an emregancy case of penut butter.

PT "Creamy, of course" Vroman

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I didn't realize that Nigeria was running low on Urban Legends
Perhaps they want to buy some Snopes bumper stickers?

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
afterdeath

I knew It was gonna be creepy when I saw

"Good day Sir/ma"

Yeah...

It burns It burns!

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 304 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: HELLO,
THIS IS MR ADEZ STORE , I HAVE BROWSE THROUGH YOUR WEBSITE AND
I'M
VERY INTERESTED IN SOME OF YOUR PRODUCT.
I WANT YOU TO GET BACK TO ME WITH YOUR MODE OF PAYMENT AND THE
SHIPPING VIA AIR FRIEGHT TO SPAIN,I WANT YOU TO GET BACK TO ME
AS
SOON AS POSSIBLE SO THAT I CAN MAKE MY ORDER IMMEDIATLY.
MY BEST REGARDS
ADEZ ROBIN

KingDavid8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
GREETING FROM KEVIN SMITH, I WILL LIKE TO PURCHASE SOME ITEMS FROM YOUR STORE AND I WANT THE ITEMS TO BE SHIP TO MY STORE IN NIGERIA

Don't we have any spare Bonsai kittens we can send this guy?

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dam9191
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dam9191   E-mail dam9191   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we need to send him some free coupons to Applebees.

PS: I liked the last Nigeran letter I received, not only did someone die with my current last name, the law firm it "came" from had my maiden name as one of the law firm partners.

--------------------
"There is no Heaven
So I can't believe in Room 19."
-Bob Geldof

Posts: 207 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AfowlSheLiveth

Has anyone been to the Scam-o-Rama website? It's awesome the 419 scammers get scammed!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hello,
i'm happy to get your email address.
i am Mr stanley dexon i have a store in (d.c),turkey,japan,london, new store in nigeria and i have been in to this business over 5 years and i use to ship worldwide .
So i will like to order for some items in your store but the only is that i use to ship my goods by via (UPS,DHL,FEDEX) And also recive goods from them and i don't know the shipping charge to lagos nigeria .so i want you to help me to contact the shipping above and ask for shipping charge to lagos nigeria and i can see some of your items that is so interesting and i will like to order for it after you have sent me the shipping cost to lagos nigeria and i will like to pay you with my own credit card or my company credit card .
expecting your response,
thanks for your anticipate co-operation
thanks
kindly regard
stanley dexon.
thanks

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: dear sales,
this is the Mary Jean i will like to place and order from your company
that will be ship to nigeria via UPS or USPS, all payment with be by
credit card. i will like you to please send your website address to me so
that i can give you the item i need from your storelove to read from
you.thanks,
best regard
Mary Jean

M. Wise

Hm, they've certainly anglicized people's names over in Nigeria haven't they?

M. "Maybe he's trying to ask for the Mary Jane instead" Wise

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/humor/info/tacobell.htm

Comment: I had the same type of experience as the Taco Bello $2.00 bill,
but at an Arby's Roast Beef place. My order came to about $3.40, and I
gave the cashier a five-dollar bill. She asked me if I would accept
half-dollars as part of my change. I said "Of course". She proceeded to
give me 3 Susan B. Anthony dollars and a dime as change! Just to see if
this was an error on her part, I asked her if she had any more
"half-dollars" that she wanted to get rid of. She told me she had ten
more. I gave her another $5.00 bill and she gave me 10 Susan B. Anthony
dollars in trade for them. I love the new generation high school
students! They can prove to be quite profitable!!! Shows where our tax
dollars are not going.

rotten little boys

Wow! A thief that brags!

Don't you just love how honest our citzens can be? [Eek!]

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 03 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: You site sucks!! You cant load a single page.. none of you pages can be found!!!
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: You site sucks!! You cant load a single page.. none of you pages can be found!!!
Sir you're trying to surf the web on an Etch-A-Sketch again...

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment:
What is up with this site? Dehydrated water? Do they accually send empty
bottles? Is this some kinda scam? Are they are trying to sell nothing for
somthing?
http://www.buydehydratedwater.com/faq.htm

rotten little boys

Yes sir, the best dyhrated water around. Winner of four Goveners awards for dryest water four years running, Tasters Choice award.

Straight to you from the Mohave Dessert.

Only $99.95 per ounce.

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Y'know what would go great with that water? A tasty treat from the this company.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

HELLO STORE,
I am mr smith the director of smithklinex company in united
state of america and nigeria.
And i will like to place some order in your store and i will like to
tell u that i will like you to shipp the order to my client over there in
nigeria which i am in china for now for some business transactions
and i will like you to maill me back about this if u can shipp international
so that i will chose the items i need so i can pay you by my credit card and
i will like you to maill me back if you accept my order form, and bye for
now.
responds needed within 5 working days ok.
best regard
SMITH KLIN

abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Makes you want to drop a check in the mail to this guy, sure 'nuff.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see a pattern here...

Obviously for the Snopes website, if they own a business, then they should be smart enough to know that Snopes doesn't really sell...anything!

As for ANY website, if they can't figure out for themselves if a vendor ships internationally then chances are they don't own a business either.

Everyone seems to have an english-type name too. Either there are lots of foreigners with english style names, or a bunch of illiterate Americans trying to pull obvious (and stupid) scams.

They should try that carwashing thing instead. You know, you stop at a traffic light and like 40 people with accents jump on your car. Then they start spritzing and polishing like mad BEFORE asking you the all important question: Wash your windows? Only ten dollah!"

Scary, but amusing.

Jonathan "I make no sense" Prescott

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AfraidSheDied

You know, I think a line of Snopes merchandise would be cool.

And hey, at least these guys are a refreshing breath of air, most don't seem to know where the shift button is, let alone caps lock. [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages