snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Maybe you should think this through . . . (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Maybe you should think this through . . .
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: re: the 12 Days of Christmas

Isn't possible that the song "The 12 Days of Christmas" goes back to the
early Christian church in Biblical days where Christianity itself was
persecuted and it wasn't just a matter of Anglican and Catholicism?

The song "The 12 days of Christmas" actually pre-dates Christianity by 7 years. The religious celebration was actually named after the song, what with Jesus being born on Christmas day and all.

The song was appropriated by the Catholic Church in 3 AD and the words were changed to reflect modern attitudes. The new lyrics included "9 resurrections, 8 whores a'stoning, 7 pagans burning, 6 crucifictions, 5 holy wars, 4 walks on water, 3 wise men, 2 Mel Gibson movies and a special day just to piss off the Jews."

The song was not a big hit.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nicely done, Damian. [lol]

Now send that to 15 gullible people, and let's see how long it takes before it appears in our inboxes.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I recieved a message from Oprah, which I thought was from
Oprah.com but it was not. How do I report to Oprah.com this came to me.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: On the reindeer games article the seasonal changes could confuse
the reindeer e.g it would be Summer in Australia

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Hmm, it's jolly warm here. Better grow myself some antlers."

Nup, don't think so.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages