snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Maybe you should think this through . . . (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Maybe you should think this through . . .
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i read weird new jersey. and in weird new jersey it states that the REAL
charles linbergh jr. is alive, wel, and living in new jersey. is this just
a hoax?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
His address is 22 Twain St, Perth Amboy. Drop in any time and tell him that Weird New Jersey sent you.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 22 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Valiant Thor was an individual who supposedly appeared to two
Alexandria police,1957? and was consequently interviewed by the senate. He
purported to be from VENUS!!

I cannot find further information that debunks him as a fraud. Any
information on this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 22 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course he's a fraud. We all know about the Martians, but has anyone really heard of the Venetians? Duh.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 98 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Valiant Thor was an individual who supposedly appeared to two Alexandria police,1957? and was consequently interviewed by the senate. He purported to be from VENUS!!

I cannot find further information that debunks him as a fraud. Any information on this?

My oh my. You mean there's someone other than John F. Winston who believes in the Valiant Thor silliness?
quote:
If there is one case of parallelism which seems to involve plagiarism it would have to be the similarities between the messages of the alien in the notorious Plan Nine from Outer Space and the message of Valiant Thor of Venus as presented in the 1967 book Stranger at the Pentagon. I must say, however, I cannot believe anyone would have the chutzpah to consciously model their story on material from that monumentally bad film. It could be coincidence!
[lol]
Anyway, here a photo of "Val" (right) with his homies Jill and Donn from Venus:  -
[Big Grin]
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Senior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The surface temperature of Venus is a balmy 460°C (about 865°F). Lead melts at 327.5°C (621.5°F). I doubt huminoids could exist at that temperature.

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

Posts: 4806 | From: Groton, CT | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No wonder Valiant was thor. He mutht have had blithters.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rockland6674
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 500 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan's on the road:
Of course he's a fraud. We all know about the Martians, but has anyone really heard of the Venetians? Duh.

Of course I have. One of them made the blinds in my living room. [Big Grin]
Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 27 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Senior:
The surface temperature of Venus is a balmy 460°C (about 865°F). Lead melts at 327.5°C (621.5°F). I doubt huminoids could exist at that temperature.

You would think that would put an end to this nonsense but, unfortunately, for the true believers it has had no effect. I have read hundreds of Usenet posts by John Winston over the years and he fully understands the truly hellish conditions of Venus but he still believes human-like beings live there. Still, I continue reading his stuff because his worldview is so different from mine and he makes laugh with great sense of humor.
Brian
ETA:
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
No wonder Valiant was thor. He mutht have had blithters.

YOMANK!

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 209 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: While browsing ther forums for Wizard of Oz at IMDB.com I saw
them saying John Wayne was rather short. I have heard him being billed as
4 ft. tall to 5'6". Can you tell how tall he really was?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: A friend just said that Wonder Bread contains plaster of Paris.
Is calcium sulfate in all breads?

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, Wonder Bread does contain calcium sulfate (one of the ingrediants of Plaster of Paris).

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.htm

Comment: Hello. I have just noticed that the majority of people that have
died are from California. Just goes to show how stupid people really are
in California. Oh well, less idiots in the world, they did us all a favor!

[lol]
Let's all hope whoever wrote this moves to California, then. Less idiots indeed.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: So a 21 year old here is claiming that cigarette smoke, if blown
directly into the ear, will "cure" an ear infection.

I haven't found anything online that confirms this and it sounds like
she's the one who's blowing smoke.

arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 605 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this:

Get a friend to blow cigarette smoke into your left ear. When it comes out of your right ear you will have been cured. (You'll die of cancer instead, though.)

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I NEED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS.
Senior

Icon 607 posted      Profile for Senior   E-mail Senior       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you from Nigeria?

--------------------
Ad astra per asparagus.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My friend passed this article along to me. I wonder if it's true.

CNN -
Woman Dies from thinking she was Dead
Coroners came back today with a report on a woman who supposedly
frightened herself to death. The woman, a Mrs. Jane Tally of Austin, TX,
had died of a sudden cardiac arrest that was not consistent with a heart
attack.
Lawmen would be stumped if not for the note she left before dying. It read
to the effect that she had put her finger on her pulse and, finding none,
assumed that she was dead.
Mrs. Tally, believing herself to be dead, went into a state of shock and
stopped her heart.

Canuckistan

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The woman, a Mrs. Jane Tally of Austin, TX, had died of a sudden cardiac arrest that was not consistent with a heart attack.
[Confused]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan's on the road:

Don't they make blinds?

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I appreciate your incite into the many tales that travel the
internet. How does one send you email messages of these tales for your
review?

Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello, operator? Can you please give me the number for 911?

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: About pancake mix. I once opened a box of pancake/waffle mix.
It was previously unopened. The mix was crawling with tiny little
wormies. I searched the box for an expiration date and found no date of
any kind to tell me how old the mix was. What do you think?

tweetilynn
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tweetilynn   E-mail tweetilynn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: About pancake mix. I once opened a box of pancake/waffle mix.
It was previously unopened. The mix was crawling with tiny little
wormies. I searched the box for an expiration date and found no date of
any kind to tell me how old the mix was. What do you think?

I think you should throw it out.

--------------------
LOVE: the condition in which the welfare and happiness of another become essential to your own.
-Jubal Harshaw

Posts: 89 | From: Eagle Rock, Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eat out for breakfast...

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The pancake mix is old and bad. Throw it out. If the wormies are moving they should still be good. Keep them.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I was just wondering if you could clear something up for me. Is all of
this David Blaine holding his breath underwater an illusion (with some
kind of underwater breathing appartus or body double) or simply a feat of
superhuman ability?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: re college;
it is a fact that not one university [excluding a millitary
school] has ever refused admission to a jr or sr.

thus, one can get into any school of their choice IF THEY
are willing to apply for their upper division years.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I need to send you an article. How do I do this?
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I need to send you an article. How do I do this?

I certainly hope that this article doesn't have anything to do with increasing your intelligence.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: what is you e mail address please ? i want to forwad you an e
mail for evulation

rockland6674

Icon 214 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: what is you e mail address please ? i want to forwad you an e mail for evulation

snopes@ireceivemailthroughtelepathy.com
Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i want to forwad you an e
mail for evulation

e mail evulated from snail mail, and then on the seventh day, Al Gore created the internet.

~Psihala
(*I know, I'm such a forwad...)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i want to forwad you an e mail for evulation
snopes is helping with e mail fertility now? Is there anything he can't do?

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I tried to go to www.snopes.com, but I was taken to wwwsnopes.com
which is a totally different type of site. You might really wan to check
this out.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages