snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Maybe you should think this through . . . (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Maybe you should think this through . . .
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: How do I get to read
snopes in FRENCH? thank you

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Babel Fish: Copy, Paste.

Voila.

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LadyLockeout:
Babel Fish: Copy, Paste.

Voila.

Step 3: Try to make sense of the incoherent crap Babelfish outputs. [Wink]

Wait, that's not Babelfish's fault. I just copied an article that Barbara wrote on an "off" day. :x

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He asked how he could see it. He didn't specify anything else. [Razz]

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard from sevral people, as they have claimed to have
seen on the discovery channel or some similar programming....that the
water pipes in New York city are so old and corroded that they only thing
holding them together is the water pressure itself and if the city had to
turn off the water everything would fall apart???

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I have heard from sevral people, as they have claimed to have
seen on the discovery channel or some similar programming....that the
water pipes in New York city are so old and corroded that they only thing
holding them together is the water pressure itself and if the city had to
turn off the water everything would fall apart???

Actually, I don't know about New York, but this is partly true in Toronto, Ontario. CBC radio had the public works manager for the City of Toronto on this week, talking about the endemic corrosion in the city's water system. Last week a water main burst in downtown TO, and flooded an underground hydro vault, and the power was cut off to the downtown core for hours, accounting ofr millions of dollars of lost business. The public works manager warned that events of this kind may become more common as the city's infrastructure ages, and less $$$$ is put into preventative maintenance.

The story is here:
http://toronto.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=to-blackout20050124

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can understand pipes in NYC being corroded, but how can water pressure hold the pipes together? Wouldnt water pressure work towards pushing the pipes outwards

Unless the corroded pipes are inside waterm which is inside other pipes. Now that doesnt even make sense

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I tried sending an email to snopes@snopes.com
and a message came back that you do not accept emails from me because it
is not in the system. Can you add me. Over the last several years I have
sent you emails for things that were sent to me.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: How do I know if your site leans either to the left, or to the
right? In todays environment, it's hard to tell who is telling the truth.
Any information that you can give me would be appreciated.

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you lean left, the site leans right.

If you lean right, the site leans left.

If you lean backwards, your chair will fall over.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla

Icon 104 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties in the arborvitae:
If you lean left, the site leans right.

If you lean right, the site leans left.

If you lean backwards, your chair will fall over.

Dang you Four Kitties! I read this in active topics first and actually leaned in my chair and was *amazed* at how my computer screen moved opposite how I moved! I did this twice before I realized what I was doing! [lol]

Thank the gods I stopped before I leaned back! [lol]

vanilla(and my monitor would have floated...)pink

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 503 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I saw a came across a book today 'Why Paint Cats' by the same
folks who wrote/photographed 'Why Cats Paint'... It features alleged
images of cats whose fur has been dyed in patterns. The images are lovely,
and I want so much to believe that it is possible, but my hoax-o-meter is
registering pretty high here. Would you look into it please? My Siamese
will be quite relieved if it's all a Photoshop job.

ranran yousei
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My Siamese will be quite relieved if it's all a Photoshop job.

[lol] [lol]

I have nothing further to comment...

[lol]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Is Splenda made by washing sugar with bleach?
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 96 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm no scientist, but wouldn't that make a bleachy/sweet liquid?

All I know is that Splenda is a portion of the sugar that is blended with *something* (I don't remember) which causes the sweetness to remain, but the molecules not to be digested (or something like that) :-D

[lol]

Skye "Sweet As Sugar" Wynters

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 502 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Did the early Marlboro man's horse die of lung cancer? I've
heard that both the man and the horse suffered the effects of smoking, but
can't find verification of it.

ranran yousei

quote:

Not exactly. It uses a process that exchanges three hydrogen-oxygen (hydroxyl) groups in the sugar molecule with chlorine atoms. This is not to say they wash it with chlorine bleach however. It's a tad more complex of a process. How Splenda is made, direct from their own mouth.

Absorption, distribution, metabolism, elimination of Sucralose, again, in their words.

However:
Both sucralose and 51Cr-EDTA underwent significant colonic absorption.

Following a single oral dose, a mean of approximately 7% of the dose was still being excreted during the 96-120-hr collection period.

Comparison with the intravenous dose indicated that 20-30% of the oral doses was absorbed.

Following a single oral dose of (14)C-sucralose (1mg/kg, 100 microCi) to eight male subjects, a mean of 14.5% (range 8.9 to 21.8%) of the radioactivity was excreted in urine and 78.3% (range 69.4 to 89.6%) in the faeces, within 5 days. (Yes, five days)

And on and on and on... for the most part, when it's excreted, it's unchanged (which is good), and very little is altered into metabolites (again, this is good). The research about how much is absorbed and how long it takes to excrete, however, varies from study to study.

Aparently, the makers of Splenda are under the gun for how they market the product, and being taken to court by consumer groups, the sugar industry, as well as [Big Grin] the makers of NutraSweet (go figure). The product is not in question, but the marketing is. Seems that the way Splenda advertises makes it sound like it's still natural and 'just like sugar' (only safe for diabetics and non-caloric). Which is not exactly true. Since it is altered, it isn't sugar (nor is it just like it, since it's about 600 times sweeter) or natural anymore.

ranran "I prefer the real thing" yousei

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: How do we ask about legends you don't talk about?
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

You just did. Ya moron.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I want to submit a story about Jane Fonda to see if it is true. How do I do that?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: would this be the entry point to find out about a rumor or a solicitation for money or?????
ranran yousei

quote:
Comment: would this be the entry point
Welcome to Disneyland. Please go home.

quote:
to find out about a rumor
Find what out about a rumour? If it exists? Are you planning to start one?

quote:
or a solicitation for money
No solicitors allowed. Beware of dog.

quote:
or?????
Thank you, I've now had my question mark quotient for the day.
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Every so often I receive articles from friends I have known over
the years. I use your site to verify many of them before I forward them on
to others. HOW CAN I SEND ITEMS TO YOU FOR VERIFICATION?

InfraPurple
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for InfraPurple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Easy: forward them to everyone you know. Sooner or later we'll get to it.

--------------------
While I wasn't falling down or anything, gravity and I did have an interesting relationship for a short time. - Purple Iguana

Posts: 715 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I was told that somewhere in the internet world was a picture of
a extremely large serpent that was found and lives under the golden gate
bridge in San Francisco. Now growing up on California, I never heard
anything like it. Is it possible for you to find this picture and
determine whether it is true or not?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: How can I submit an email to see if it is a urban legend or not??
I searched your site and don't see this "tale"...

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Is it possible to forward you an email that I don't see referenced on your
website? I am interested in finding out whether or not it is true.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I know this sounds strange, and I've tried to find the answer on
my own, but I can't find it anywhere. I have heard that when you send
suede to be dry cleaned, the cleaning solutions they use actually bleach
out all the color, and then they have to re-dye it before returning it.
This sounds strange, but not entirely implausible- I'm curious...

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I was told that somewhere in the internet world was a picture of a extremely large serpent that was found and lives under the golden gate bridge in San Francisco. Now growing up on California, I never heard anything like it. Is it possible for you to find this picture and
determine whether it is true or not?

Don't worry, Snopes, I got your back:

-

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: How do I forward an email to you?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: I'd like to send an email to you that I received for you to
investigate.

Real Hair

Dear Snopes,
I would like to make a clever comment on your message board, but I don't know where to do it.

I'm also not very clever.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: A friend told me that Jennifer was really with child on the T.V.
show Friends,and it was Brad Pitts. If so how come even after they married
he kept saying he wanted to have a family,and no mention or pictures of a
child?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Can I forward you an emial I just received?? I did nto see it on
your site. Thank you.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages