snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Maybe you should think this through . . . (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Maybe you should think this through . . .
rockland6674
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 08 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Do you know the story I am talking about?

Once upon a time, there were three little girls who went to the police academy, and they were each assigned very hazardous duties...

No, wait. That ain't it...

Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: May I have your email address? I have an email I'd like for you to see.
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 15 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: May I have your email address? I have an email I'd like for you to see.

Trust me friend you are better off not knowing Snopse's e-mail. 'Cause if the material you send is even remotely absurd, you will find it in this forum where Snopesters will cruely mock you.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have not been successful in figuring out how to send information to you for authenication. Please reply by email as to how this is accomplished.
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 09 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: This message is for Barbara as we have the same last name. It's
not that common of a last name either. Do you have any relatives in
Nebraska? Do you know Norman Mikkelson or any of his family?

abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
::Darth Vader voice::

"SIS-ter... Your twin SIS-ter! Obi-wan was wise to hide her from me."

::Luke Mikkelson Voice::

"AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH! SOAP! HOT WATER!!!"

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's not that common of a last name either.
Mikkelson is even less common as a first name.

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because Barbara is more likely to know all the Mikkelsons than David is.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was wondering what is with the black starburst with the word
"boom" over a paragraph on the following page:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cellcharge.asp

Have you been hacked, or is that intentional and if so, what does it
signify?

Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I was wondering what is with the black starburst with the word
"boom" over a paragraph on the following page:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cellcharge.asp

Have you been hacked, or is that intentional and if so, what does it
signify?

No, that BOOM is your computer exploding while it is connected to the mains

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: How do I get it out of my email and attached here? Do you
have an address that I can just email it to?

Mitochondrial Steve
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mitochondrial Steve   E-mail Mitochondrial Steve   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: How do I get it out of my email and attached here?

First you'll need lubricant and a heat source.

--------------------
"America can, should, must and will blow up the moon."

Posts: 392 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://snopes.com/politics/kerry/weapons.asp

Comment: Re Kerry...weapons....your explanation contains an error:

In his 1992 State of the Union address....Bush wasn't elected until 2000
so 1992 is incorrect. What year should it be? 2001 or 2002?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: In your article about the Wells Fargo phishing scam (link below)
you say that the link in the article is disabled. However, when I clicked
on it I was taken to the phoney site. You might want to review it and
disable the link.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/phishing/wellsfargo.asp

rotten little boys
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But, but, but, it IS real! I swear, I saw it!

rotten little 'not THAT confused' boys

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/lavey.asp

Comment: I am a long time fan and reader. I am glad you cleared up the
misconception about the image of John Kerry and the founder of the Satanic
Church. I would, however, comment that the use of "Photographic Witchery"
upsets me. As a Wiccan, I spend a good amount of time telling people that
Witches are NOT satanic. We have nothing to do with satan, do not worship
and or condone blood rituals. I would respectfully request that you
change the title to not perpetuate this unfortunate misconception.

Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why in the world do Wiccans even refer to themselves as witches? They hundreds of years of preconceptions to overcome. Maybe they should pick something different, like monks or something. AH, well...

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

Maybe I'm too tired to find it, or maybe I misunderstood the commenter's concern... but I don't find the term "Photographic Witchery" anywhere on the page linked... (maybe Snopes changed it?)...

RelicMan, the reason Wiccans associate with the term "witch" is because that's what they are. The term has degraded over centuries, but it was to refer to those that still adhered to the old religion (pre-Christian). Those that practiced the old ways, were called witches... which later became associated with devil worshippers ("if ya ain't with us, you're ag'inst us"). Why reclaim it? As much as a source of pain it might be/seem, it's still a badge of honour. Some are a little too sensitive to the 'misuse' of the word, however (IMHO).

ranran "been there, done that" yousei

Kivrin

Icon 208 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wicca is a 20th century religion based upon supposed pagan beliefs.

I studied it for awhile and, although there seems to be an association with "witches", the religion itself isn't as ancient as many people state.

The actual practice of Wicca (Nature worship) began in the early to mid-20th century.

Not to step on anyone's toes or anything.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_intr.htm

TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to a book I had once (Satan Wants You, by Arthur Lyons), there's no such thing as Wiccans, anyways... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

quote:
Originally posted by Kivrin:
Wicca is a 20th century religion based upon supposed pagan beliefs.

I studied it for awhile and, although there seems to be an association with "witches", the religion itself isn't as ancient as many people state.

The actual practice of Wicca (Nature worship) began in the early to mid-20th century.

Not to step on anyone's toes or anything.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_intr.htm

Yup.

Being as tired as I was, and figuring people can google on their own, I didn't feel like going into it further, and rereading my post, I realize my wording was poor.

The idea is reclaiming an old religion. Since pretty much all of it was lost over centuries, it is pretty much all new.

So, those that adopt the "old ways" associate with those that practiced the religions in certain pre-Christian European countries, but they are not necessarily practicing the exact same religion.

So, in that respect, modern Wiccans often adopt, or at least have some affinity for the term "witch". And no, not all do, but it is common.

Yes, there's hundreds of years of "preconceptions to overcome", but it's considered part of their 'heritage'. "Druids" are considered a seperate religion, "monk" is a term, already in use and actually really doesn't apply very well. From what I gathered during the years I studied (and praticed) Wicca (actually Witta, no I don't feel like explaining the difference, it's so long ago, I don't really care now), the two words (Wicca and witch) are supposed to of the same root "wicce", so, there's another reason why many practitioners adopt/associate with the term "witch", even if they don't use spells 'n' shtuff.
(Heck, I know people who turned to Wicca soley so that they can call themselves a witch, not because of any other reason.)

I'm not trying to explain a religion, or it's history, so I might have been choppy... I'm just trying to explain why "witch" is used.

Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My comment was a half-hearted attempt at humour, anyways. But I definately see the point. I suppose there are those that would consider switching "names" would be seen as caving to bible-thumpers. I personally would just call myself a Wiccan, if I were one.

Then again, it WOULD be cool to call myself a warlock, or something.

Jonathan "Through the fat of the unbaptized" Prescott (TIC)

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/weapons.asp

The dates in your commentary are incorrect! Bush was not President in
1992. I assume you meant 2002.

Kris Holmes

quote:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/weapons.asp

The dates in your commentary are incorrect! Bush was not President in
1992. I assume you meant 2002.

While the President is referred to a "President George H.W. Bush" a dozen lines earlier, I understand the confusion. But then again, in the context it's fairly obvious who si being referred to, so....
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: RE: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/drpepper.asp

"The brouhaha began in mid-November 2001, when the Dr Pepper soft drink company, in response to the terrorist attacks on America a few months earlier . . ."

Seems like "a few months earlier" is an overstatement when it really was only the previous month.

Mitochondrial Steve
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mitochondrial Steve   E-mail Mitochondrial Steve   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
10/11. Never forget.

--------------------
"America can, should, must and will blow up the moon."

Posts: 392 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 03 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In this house, November follows October!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: this website is not very informinable
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Induminably! The mediocriny of these postages and pages are minostrous and threcks.

Begruzzled I am becomed.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
Induminably! The mediocriny of these postages and pages are minostrous and threcks.

Begruzzled I am becomed.

[lol]

So tell me, how drunk did you have to be to pull that one off? [Big Grin]

I could only think of "edumacate".

Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After watching Hee Haw as a kid, and admiring Floyd the Barber's ability to butcher the Enlish language, all I need is some inspiration. "Informinable" did it. The only thing I really made up was "threcks"... everything else is based upon a 'real' word.

And I am stubbling for a Bankelor agree with Engrish. [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i heard that twinkies are poisonis the first 6 months they are made.
DrFraud
We Three Blings

Icon 27 posted      Profile for DrFraud     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And I heard that you had a brain. Apparently my rumor was just as false as yours is. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Danger is a good teacher, and makes apt scholars. So are disgrace, defeat, exposure to immediate scorn and laughter."
- William Hazlitt; _Table-Talk: Essays On Men And Manners_

Posts: 1055 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

quote:

And then they realized their classic cartoon blunder of confusing the rat poison with the sugar. It only took them six months to figure it out, but better late than never.
Protagonist
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Protagonist     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it Emma Bovary developed the twinkie in this case?

go draw me a "That explains the shape" Circle

--------------------
"I'm so awesome, you don't even know I'm awesome!"

Posts: 213 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages