snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Wish I'd thought of that (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wish I'd thought of that
The Velvet Undergound & GameSix
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 501 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The sketch involves a con-man in court for circulating copies of a
doctored phrase-book, translating Norwegian to English.

Likewise, another Python sketch features a pet shoppe owner and a customer arguing over whether or not a recently-purchased Hungarian Blue parrot is dead or not.

-Game "Isn't it good/Hungarian wood?" Six

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/spoons/oldwives/bird.asp

Comment: A comment on the bird omen meaning death or illness.... Actress
Lucielle Ball had a fear of Birds beause when she was a girl after her
father died a bird came in the house and dident leave for 3 days.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
M. Wise

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/spoons/oldwives/bird.asp

Comment: A comment on the bird omen meaning death or illness.... Actress
Lucielle Ball had a fear of Birds beause when she was a girl after her
father died a bird came in the house and dident leave for 3 days.

I hear she also had some expensive wallpaper ripped out of her home because of this.....but I can't quite recall where I read it! Snopes, can you help me out? [Razz]
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: The piece in question in:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/miller.htm

was actually written not by Dennis Miller, the commedian but by LARRY
Miller in the weekly standard:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/161yaihr.asp?pg=2

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: The piece in question in:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/miller.htm

was actually written not by Dennis Miller, the commedian but by LARRY
Miller in the weekly standard:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/161yaihr.asp?pg=2

See there, snopes? Aren't you glad you received this comment from such an astute reader?

Now you can jump in your time machine and retroactively fix the article before you post it two years ago. Oh, wait, you already did.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/takecard.htm

Comment: I KNOW HOW THEY DO IT OF COURSE YOUR CARD IS GONE WITH THE OTHER
CARDS THEY PUT A ENTIRE NEW STACK OF CARDS OUT THERE NEXT TIME WHEN YU DO
IT MEMORIZE THE CARDS THEN LATER SEE IF ALL OF THEM ARE GONE ITS GAY!

lavender blue
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lavender blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
YU? Shouldn't it be Y'U?

Quick, someone, does "its gay" imply a good thing or a bad thing? Or a brightly colored cheerful thing?

There is something to be said for repeating back what you just read. Did you give the student extra credit points, snopes?

--------------------
catagenesis [evol]-evolution leading to decadence and decreased vigor.

Posts: 480 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
John Dope slithering under a rock

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler:
Did anyone secretly get fooled by some of the legends but now you’re pretending you didn’t, because you’ll look really dumb if you admit you told 334,392,232 people that Mr Ed is a zebra?
That didn’t happen to me*, but wouldn’t it just suck? However, i know not to believe every single word barbara and snopes write (can you ever really trust two people whose combined initials are BS?)

*It did.

Fooled me the first time *hangs head in shame*
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/language/puzzlers/gry.asp

Comment: About the -gry riddle, I know what the answer is. Most people,
when they copy it, copy it wrong. The actual riddle is...
"In all the english language, there are some words that end in -gry. One
is hungry, and the other angry. There are three words in the english
language. What is it? If you listened carefully, I've already given you
the answer!"
The actual answer is "language". There are three words in
"The-English-Language"! So, the actual riddle is about that sentence,
not -gry! Tell me if I have been any help to your awesome site!

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 95 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/takecard.htm

Comment: i know exactly why it "takes out your card". when it gives you
the "old" set of cards, really, they just give you completely different
cards. i tried it. i wrote the cards and what they were on a slip of paper
and when they showed the results, they had COMPLETELY different cards.
either way, your card would be gone because they give you all new cards. I
hope i helped solve your question.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/pipp.asp

Comment: Gehrig's streak actually started when he pinch hit for Pee Wee
Waniger, the day before he started starting.

Simetrical

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
lavender blue:
Quick, someone, does "its gay" imply a good thing or a bad thing?
I would assume that it means "the gay belonging to it" (figuratively, I hope). That doesn't seem to make sense in context, though—the noun phrase seems to be added at the end of an otherwise complete sentence, apparently as neither a subject nor an object. The comment as a whole appears to be somewhat nonsensical; perhaps it somehow got scrambled in transmission.

DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"It's gay" = "It's stupid"

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Psst, Dan... Simetrical was making a joke about the grammar/spelling. "Its" with no apostrophe is a possessive pronoun. [Wink]

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan

Icon 09 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Me -> [dunce]

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You are a pointer?

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: re:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

original source is a fark photoshop competition:
http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=1115586

mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For obvious reasons, I happen to prefer this one myself.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/north.htm

Comment: The comment about North being threatened by a terrorist was about
Abu Nidal, not Osama Bin Laden.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/ciara.asp

Comment: I have been hearing from many people that ciara was once a man
and that she has stated it on a radio broadcast.I have also heard
something. I don't know if this is true I heard ciara was born a male and
female or born with male organs and female organs both!

Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the broadcast, but she mostly talked about lobsters.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: There were rumors that a monkey hung himself in the movie, "The Wizard of Oz". This is not true. It is actually a Peacock moving in the backround.
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a monkey, now?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I looked in your FAQ but didn't see this question:

Do you get a lot of hate mail from people who don't believe your
refutation of various legends? Perhaps you should post some. I'm sure it
would be entertaining!

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Love the site!
I was just wondering if you had any favorite books on folklore/urban
legends that you could share

Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I looked in your FAQ but didn't see this question:

Do you get a lot of hate mail from people who don't believe your
refutation of various legends? Perhaps you should post some. I'm sure it
would be entertaining!

Did you invite that guy to visit the message board?

I visited the main site weekly for over a year before I clicked on that yellow Post It Note icon.

Edited to add quote, since snopes posted a new Comment while I was typing.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NeeCD
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeeCD   E-mail NeeCD       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm:

I visited the main site weekly for over a year before I clicked on that yellow Post It Note icon.

Heh, me too, I've been visiting for at least that long. Only I checked it every morning as soon as I got to work to check on the "What's New" stuff. If I had time during the day, then I would play "Random Roulette" with the random button. It was only when that broke (changed? I dunno, it quit giving me the click again banner...) a few weeks ago that I decided to register.

--------------------
I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?

Posts: 1720 | From: Stafford Hamlet, OR | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same here... then I lurked before being convinced by a long time member (a friend of mine) to finally join.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Good afternoon.

My wonderful wife just commented on some 'glurge' that had recently been
forwarded to her. I was completely unfamiliar with the term, but have
instantly fallen in love with it.

I would like to suggest that you add a verb form, if you are the creators
of the term. Those forwarding glurge could be said to be
'reglurgitating,' I believe, tying the process to my uncontrollable
reaction to it.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Do you get updates from snopes. Some of these are really good So, I will just send them all.
Squoval

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Do you get updates from snopes. Some of these are really good So, I will just send them all.

Yeah, snopes, do you get updates from a website that you are a co-webmaster of?

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Comment: Go to Snopes (via google) and search for cash from Bill Gates.
This attorney version is just another update of an old hoax

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: The site is pretty good with a few exceptions. You should have a
sections for urban legands and rumors about the US Government. They are
getting away with so much shit and some of it needs to be exposed.

TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 506 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You should have a sections for urban legands and rumors about the US Government. They are getting away with so much shit and some of it needs to be exposed.
While you're at it, maybe you could include some ULs about Hollywood as well. [fish]
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: All of your various pages should show a date of last update so
that readers can know how up to daye your comments and ratings are.
Especially you should do this as some of your pages make reference to
matters that are now or may be discontinued at some future time.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages