snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Wish I'd thought of that (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wish I'd thought of that
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Suggestion:

Add a button to your home page that would bring up a random page from your
database (it would change daily). I suspect there are many information
junkies (like me) that would make it a daily habit to visit your web page
every day to increase their store of knowledge.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elbe
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elbe   Author's Homepage   E-mail Elbe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the "information junkie" should go to rehab, he's losing the ability to read words not accompanied by pictures.

I know I've wasted many a time clicking on the randomizer and rereading debunkings I hadn't read in over a year.

--------------------
Nobody loves Elbe...
-The Adventure of the Avatar Tutorials (3/29)

Posts: 2776 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 604 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: ive ehard that there are subliminal messages in disney
movies...ie) the little mermaid's chest is bare for a few seconds in the
movie when she comes out of the water./....find out if these are true.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/lost/fraction.htm

Comment: Ummmm...at the risk of sounding like a smart-ass...are you aware of the
fact that all the people "quoted" -- as well as the "source" newspaper you
listed at the bottom of this story, are all characters from William
Faulkner novels?

I think you might want to check to see if you've had your leg pulled on
this one.

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Dr. Winston O'Boogie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/lost/fraction.htm

Comment: Ummmm...at the risk of sounding like a smart-ass...are you aware of the
fact that all the people "quoted" -- as well as the "source" newspaper you
listed at the bottom of this story, are all characters from William
Faulkner novels?

I think you might want to check to see if you've had your leg pulled on this one.

Ummmm...at the risk of sounding like a smart-ass...are you aware of the fact that the web site you read is named after a family of characters from William Faulkner novels?

this one.

PT "snopes, feel free to use that as a response" Vroman

--------------------
"The large print givith, and the small print taketh away" -- Tom Waits, Step Right Up

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Posts: 2443 | From: Illinois | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crafty
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I think you need to give them credit for recognizing the names out of a Faulkner novel, even if they didn't catch the gist of the "Lost Legends" page. I sure didn't know that - but then, I don't think I've ever read Faulkner.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
itgirl

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie:
Ummmm...at the risk of sounding like a smart-ass...are you aware of the fact that the web site you read is named after a family of characters from William Faulkner novels?

this one.

Now, now, to quote The Man Himself: "And let them [ask] anything. I think that if you try to rehearse the question first, it's not too good. Whether it seems frivolous to you or not, ask it. We'll take the gloves off. "

Re "'So I said, Okay, okay, if that's the way it is, we'll just show them.'" becca

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/college/sex/ether.htm

Comment: I'm in the military and have heard this at every base I've been
stationed at over the past 20 years. This legend has taken on the name of
the "Ether Bunny".

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 214 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Sirs
For your information:
re tommy tutone song
8675309 is a prime number as well as a pattern on a phone.

Sparverius, the feathered serpent

quote:
For your information:
re tommy tutone song

Hey, are you one of the Prime Number Twins described in "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat"?
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For your information:
re tommy tutone song

And if you multiply it by the number of seconds in a sidreal year, and divide by 665.65...

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 210 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't Lost Legends great? I swear it is like the quicksand of Snopes! People get sucked (and suckered) in so easily. Snopes-I think you guys should add some more stories to the Lost Legends section to see how many more people can be duped.

Little "begging but not pleading" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyler

Did anyone secretly get fooled by some of the legends but now you’re pretending you didn’t, because you’ll look really dumb if you admit you told 334,392,232 people that Mr Ed is a zebra?
That didn’t happen to me*, but wouldn’t it just suck? However, i know not to believe every single word barbara and snopes write (can you ever really trust two people whose combined initials are BS?)

*It did.

LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 214 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The zebra almost caught me until I reread the lost legends explanation. I admit I was ready to go tell my father, "Hey guess what about Mr. Ed"

Little "a horse is a horse unless it's not a horse" Duck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 13 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I admit I believed the Blackbeard one at first. Then I read the Alabama bans fractions one and started to get a little suspicious and read the lost legends explanation.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vyera
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Vyera   E-mail Vyera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that they were still thinking about the ILoo project,but for now it's just a creative idea.
Posts: 273 | From: Richland, WA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think you guys should add some more stories to the Lost Legends section to see how many more people can be duped.
http://www.snopes.com/lost/bearflag.asp

Let's see how long it takes before the first citing of this one as fact appears on the Internet.

- snopes

B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
http://www.snopes.com/lost/bearflag.asp

Let's see how long it takes before the first citing of this one as fact appears on the Internet.

- snopes

Oh I like it, especially the West Wing reference.

--------------------
"This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little & broken but still good."

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 27 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: You know that card trick that the computer "takes away your
card"? Well, I figured it out! You first gave me a King of hearts, Jack of
clovers, King of spades, Queen of diamonds, Queen of clovers, and Jack of
diamonds(I wrote them down). When I clicked the go on button, it went face
down and face up again. Now, I have a King of diamonds, King of clovers,
Jack of hearts, Queen of spades, and Queen of hearts. See a difference?
It doesn't match up! Another mystery solved by me!

Ivy Bekket

Yay! good for you! you're very astute.

Ivy "The World Needs More Stutes." Bekket

J & J's

Clovers?

That Comment: guy needs to be beaten with a club.

J "Hearts, Stars, and Horseshoes!" ay

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 502 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I just wanted to send you a message about a popular Urban Legend
that is not on your site. I am refering to the claim that the silent
version of the movie Poseidon Adventure, The was playing when the Titanic
sunk.

This Legend is oviously not true because the movie was'nt made untill 1972
and a Silent version was never made at all.

Kiwibird

Icon 601 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Queen of clovers King of clovers

Hunh? Has the suit of clubs been renamed?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: this website investigates "urban legends". I wanted to see what
it said about the ups story. any time you have something emailed to you,
go to www.snopes.com , type in a few key words, & it will give you info on
it. talk to ya later.

Jusenkyo no Pikachu
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jusenkyo no Pikachu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
sunk.

So DW Griffith never existed, right?

Pi "Pity...I liked Birth of a Nation as much as the next non-racist film buff" ka

--------------------
"Never underestimate a nerd from outer space."
--Von, that alien from that Kids Incorporated episode.

Posts: 1189 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwibird:
quote:
Queen of clovers King of clovers

Hunh? Has the suit of clubs been renamed?
Probably he's a non-English speaker. Almost anybody else calls them "clovers". Which makes sense, dammit! That shape is a clover!

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
sunk.

To cut this guy some slack, he probably received the legend, went to your site, searched for it ... and since the Lost Legends are not indexed in the search engine, got no results. So although unintentionally funny, this guy was doing the correct thing, no?

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 97 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/takecard.htm

Comment: I just wanted to say that I have an answer to someones question.
On the humor page of legends and the link that says important if true,
there is a page with the card trick and the lady was wondering how it
could be and the answer is: is that the cards change.. try it... but write
down all of the cards first ( the color the number and the suit.) TRY IT!

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Re: http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/phrasebook.asp
This same plot was used in an early Monty Python sketch, ca 1976. I
believe the tourist was Hungarian in that case.

DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 303 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
8675309...as well as a pattern on a phone.

Uh...didn't everyone who ever heard that song at least try to dial Jenny's number? Anyone could easily spot the pattern. Plus, snopes explains it in the text.

"Welcome to Verizon Wireless. Due to a dialing change, your call cannot be completed as dialed. You must dial the area code, plus the number you are wish to reach. 0022009 Anouncement 4" Hmmm...Jenny sounds a lot like James Earl Jones. What kind of girl that writes their number on the wall has that as a voice mail message anyway?

Dark"zero zero two two oh oh ni-i-ine"Dan

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 103 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Some times it pays to check out theses e-mails before jumping on
the wagpon and sending them all around .

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 96 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Please don't believe everything that is emailed to you
Dreideltron

quote:
Comment: Some times it pays to check out theses e-mails before jumping on
the wagpon and sending them all around .

Well, of course. First of all, you'd have to know what a 'wagpon' was before you could jump on it.
The Melody's Harmony

Comment: this website investigates "urban legends". I wanted to see what
it said about the ups story. any time you have something emailed to you,
go to www.snopes.com , type in a few key words, & it will give you info on
it. talk to ya later.

Wow, snopes.com sounds like a good website. I think I'll check it out.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/phrasebook.asp

Comment: Your tale about the hoax Japanese to English phrase-book actually
does have an origin. It is taken from a sketch from the TV series, Monty
Python's Flying Circus.
The sketch involves a con-man in court for circulating copies of a
doctored phrase-book, translating Norwegian to English.
It even mentioned that the English translation, for asking for the
train-station is "may I fondle your buttocks".

So there is the actual origin of this hoax prank.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages