snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Burning issues of our times (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Burning issues of our times
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 505 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
quote:
We live Strongsville Ohio
Population: tire.
Motto: Gateway to Parma

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: well where do i start, my dad did 22 years in the service. he
worked for a construction company untill the fall of 2003 when he got
orders to go to iraq. he went to work the next day to give his supervisor
a copy of his orders. not an hour later he was fired because hes missed to
much work. is there any way u can get a word out on this company and
possibly get an explination from them. im now in the army and we deploy in
may. i dont like the idea of my family loosing their jobs because of their
duties to thier country. if any thing they should be proud and advertise
the fact that they have a service member working for them. if u could get
back to me on this i would greatly appreciate it. thank u for taking the
time to read this.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Who holds the record for the most albums ever released?
This includes all genres.
Thanks.....I can't find the answer anywhere.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Who holds the record for the most albums ever released?
The record for the most albums ever released... [lol]

~Psihala
(*That'd be one loooooong playing record...!)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh that brings up an old argument. I say a record is a black vinyl disc and an album is a collection of songs. My friend says they're the other way around.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NorthernLite
We Three Blings

Icon 602 posted      Profile for NorthernLite     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
Oh that brings up an old argument. I say a record is a black vinyl disc and an album is a collection of songs. My friend says they're the other way around.

In my not so expert opinion, I would say that you are right. When I was a teenager we used to be able to buy 45s which had two songs on them, the A side and the B side. They were called records but certainly were never considered to be albums.

--------------------
You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons. -Blazing Saddles

Posts: 1074 | From: High Level, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Thomas' English Muffins advertise that you must open the muffin
with a fork not a knife in order to get the pockets in the muffin that
enhance flavor. Is this true or just a Marketing ploy?

rockland6674
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 23 posted      Profile for rockland6674         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: Thomas' English Muffins advertise that you must open the muffin with a fork not a knife in order to get the pockets in the muffin that enhance flavor. Is this true or just a Marketing ploy?

Also, what if you just rip the sucker in half with your bare hands, like I do?

- rock "Mmmmmmm... Fresh kill." land

Posts: 934 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It proves you're just an ignorant Yankee. Your relatives probably lived on whiskey and raw squirrel during the Revolutionary War, too! Barbarians!

Trish "Why couldn't be like that nice little Tory down the street?" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Technically, an "album" was a collection of black vinyl discs, a term originating back in the days when 78s were the norm, and any piece of music longer than several minutes (e.g., symphony, opera) had to be spread across several discs (because the playing time of 78s was quite limited). Even after 33 RPM discs (i.e., "LPs") supplanted 78s, however, the term "album" stuck and was generally applied to any 12" record.

The common usage of the word "record" applied to any sound recordings encoded on vinyl discs, regardless of playing speed or contents.

- snopes

Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Who holds the record for the most albums ever released?
This includes all genres.
Thanks.....I can't find the answer anywhere.

This has piqued my curiosity. Would it include compilations, re-releases, and best of/greatest hits collections?

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 106 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If we're including all genres, then likely some orchestra conductors have hundreds of albums credited to their names.

- snopes

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 401 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: is it true that bleach should be used with cold water and not hot
water?

Shoebox
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shoebox   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither. Bleach should be used directly on the dry clothing. Lots and lots of it. Splash it around, get it all good and clean...

--------------------
"Want you to know that if I had been there and they had of cooked you, I would not of eaten any." - Porkypine, Pogo

Posts: 71 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: should a caterer received gratuity for catering services provided
at another facility that's not own by them.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 208 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I recently heard that the Hall of Justice from the Super Friends
was modeled after Union Terminal in Cincinnati. Do you know if this is
true?

Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I recently heard that the Hall of Justice from the Super Friends
was modeled after Union Terminal in Cincinnati. Do you know if this is
true?

Link to a picture of the Super Friend's Hall of Justice.

Link to a picture of Cincinnati's Union Terminal

*shrug* Could be.

Morning
There is a very nice museum in the Union Terminal now. It has both historical and natural science exhibits. I saw a lovely display on the Romanovs, including toys belonging to and clothing worn by ill-fated Grand Duke Alexis. They have a Titanic exhibition going on now that I'd love to see.

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Could you please tell me what the ladies name is that is on the
Jay Leno show. She is known as the Fruitcake Lady.
Is she still living?

Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
She died.
quote:
We're saddened to announce the passing of Marie Rudisill, our beloved "Fruitcake Lady." She died Saturday, November 3rd in Hudson, Florida. Born Edna Marie Faulk in Monroeville, Alabama, she was aunt to Truman Capote, and helped to raise him in Alabama and New York City when he was still young.
It must have been all that fruitcake. Or the fact that she was 95 years old.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages