snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » We've Got Mail! » Burning issues of our times (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Burning issues of our times
Zamboni_Rodeo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zamboni_Rodeo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fencer:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: ripped my uniform pants a week ago, will this interfere with sabre team practice?

OOH OOH I know this one!!!

For practice it won't matter, since target area in sabre is above the waist only a tear in your knickers shouldn't matter. - If you plan on fencing in a tournament you need to get them mended -

- Who said coaching fencing wasn't a useful occupation????

Either that, or it was Daniel Briere...

--Zamboni "It probably wasn't JP Dumont" Rodeo

--------------------
Where's the challenge in wassailing at Christmas? The place is lousy with wassail!

Posts: 232 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have been looking for the Swiffer Flicker and can't find it at
my local grocery store, HEB, Wal-mart, Target or La Fiesta. Who in San
Antonio, Texas carries this product and can I get a discount coupon for
this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: On Aug. 31/06 I purched my first Swiffer Jet Set starter kit.
Today I noticed that the coupons included for pad refills and cleaning
solution refills expired on that date -Aug. 31/06. I purchased my kit at
Shoppers Drug Mart, 1215 56th St., in Delta, B.C. Canada

Your comments please.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Snopes owns Swiffer now?

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: On Aug. 31/06 I purched my first Swiffer Jet Set starter kit.
Today I noticed that the coupons included for pad refills and cleaning
solution refills expired on that date -Aug. 31/06. I purchased my kit at
Shoppers Drug Mart, 1215 56th St., in Delta, B.C. Canada

Your comments please.

I'd give it a 42, but I can't dance to it.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 204 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Although Matt Dillon is seen at the beginning of every Gunsmoke
episode drawing his gun with his right hand, there is an episode of
Gunsmoke where he is building a barn and swinging the hammer with his left
hand.

Is James Arness right or left handed? Is he like a ball player that
pitches left handed and hit right handed?

Or was the left handed hammer incident a case of the film being projected
from the wrong side?

I have contacted the official James Arness web site with no success.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 108 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I received an e-mail saying that in order to protest SUVs we are
supposed to honk at them. Do you know what day this is supposed to happen
on?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 506 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Or was the left handed hammer incident a case of the film being projected
from the wrong side?

Maybe the only hammer available on the set was a left-handed one.

- snopes

Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I received an e-mail saying that in order to protest SUVs we are
supposed to honk at them. Do you know what day this is supposed to happen
on?

Don't be such a goose.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Question: Do airplanes have horns like a vehicle would?
I heard a horn sound while on a plane trip and it sounded just like a car
horn.

I was watching a video on youtube last weekend that was taken inside a 747 cockpit, and I noticed some sounds sound sort of like 1980s video games. So that got me thinking about this post, and wondering, are there any alert/warning sounds one might hear in a cockpit that might sound like a car horn to a layperson? And secondly, if our emailer was sitting at the very front of first-class, would he be able to hear sounds from inside the cockpit?

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 605 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Barbara,
You have just got to check out what is going on on ebay in regards to the
tickle me Elmo Txm. There is one listed for $1,000,000.00 with a story
that pulls at your heart strings. Several others are listed for
$300,000.00, another $240,000.00, a couple more at $150,000.00. This is
nuts and I think it deserves an honoralbe mention on Snopes.

lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How much would a Shoot Me Up Elmo go for?
http://www.bertisevil.tv/pages/bert006.htm

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hello, My friend and I were having an argument about something
and i came to your website for claification: IF and Airplane is trying to
takeoff on a conveyer belt that will match its speed in the opposite
direction... will the airplane ever take off... I say no and my friend
says yes. Please help

Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi All:

At the risk of actually being serious, the answer is no as lift of a fixed wing aircraft is determined by airspeed over the wing. The aircraft in this scenario has an airspeed of zero (i.e., it's not actually moving relative to the air). Therefore, no lift.

Of course, if the aircraft is a helicopter, all bets are off.

I now return you to your previously scheduled fun and nonsense.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "If I had a rocket launcher" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 213 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard that the foam pump soaps clog up the plumbing. Is it
all brands or the Wegman soap pumps?

Canuckistan

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Hello, My friend and I were having an argument about something
and i came to your website for claification: IF and Airplane is trying to
takeoff on a conveyer belt that will match its speed in the opposite
direction... will the airplane ever take off... I say no and my friend
says yes. Please help

Tell your friend to stop posting it at the Mythbusters forum.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ieuan ab Arthur:
Hi All:

At the risk of actually being serious, the answer is no as lift of a fixed wing aircraft is determined by airspeed over the wing. The aircraft in this scenario has an airspeed of zero (i.e., it's not actually moving relative to the air). Therefore, no lift.

Slight disagreement. Eventually the aircraft will run out of fuel, and will be propelled backwards by the conveyor belt. At the end of the fast moving conveyor belt, it may 'take-off' (as in at least part of it will be airbourne) albeit in a brief but spectacular fashion.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 87 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: did david hawking's ex-wife really marry the guy who supplied the
voice for his talking box?

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet Stephen Hawking's pissed...

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
quote:
Originally posted by Ieuan ab Arthur:
Hi All:

Slight disagreement. Eventually the aircraft will run out of fuel, and will be propelled backwards by the conveyor belt. At the end of the fast moving conveyor belt, it may 'take-off' (as in at least part of it will be airbourne) albeit in a brief but spectacular fashion.
Actually, it is a bit of a trick question. Since the thrust of an aircraft (fixed-wing) is provided directly and not to the wheels (otherwise how would it fly?), the conveyor belt moving would not affect the forward speed of the aircraft, and therefore it would fly once it reached the suitable airspeed (measured via pitot tube and not through the wheels).

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is Chevron with Techron actually better gas for your car, is it
better than other gas stations gas?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I HEARD FROM A FRIEND THAT THE ASIAN CARP HAD TOTALLY TAKEN OVER
THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER AND WAS NOW THE ONLY FISH IN THE RIVER. ALSO THAT
THEY GOT UP TO 200LBS, IS THIS TRUE?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 221 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was reading this site, when I thought to myself;
I have family, who are always talking about Crips, and Bloods, and I never
could guess who formed the Crip's.

I was interested in their own style of writing.
My sister, who's dating a Crip, who is in Jail, was sent a letter, wrote
in a strange hand-writing, and she said that it was their own language.

Do you know anything about this?

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 22 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Well this is hardly "new" to me, but over the years I have only
found one website that had ANYTHING AT ALL to say about it.

I have a brother-in-law who claims to have had a diving accident years ago
in which he got entangled in a mass of coral. He raises the hair on the
back of my neck for other reasons so I'm truly doubting his claim that now
he has an ongoing problem of coral growing in his body.

I have searched the internet and the databases available through the
college I attend and only found one website which I can not determine
whether or not is reliable.

This - http://answer.co.za/3V1e1p1v11K3 - is the website... Check out
paragraph 4a.

I also have emails in to Mayo and Mayo medical education.

I'd love to know a definitive answer to this question if you have the
time.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 107 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: In the "well to hell" story, the temperature is mentioned as 180
degrees... but it does not say "C" or "F" degrees... that would be
helpful.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it true that Target bans bare feet? I have been shopping there
for over 6 years barefooted and sevaral weeks ago was denied entrance.

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 402 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I once read that a teen killed himself while listining to a
Blink-182 song. Is this true?

LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Is it true that Target bans bare feet? I have been shopping there
for over 6 years barefooted and sevaral weeks ago was denied entrance.

But bear feet are ok.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 607 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: I once read that a teen killed himself while listining to a
Blink-182 song. Is this true?

Nope. It was a K-Fed song.

It just keeps getting worse for that guy.

--------------------

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Hello, I thought you might like to know this about some rolls I
bought at Walmart. I've never noticed the 'sell by' date on bread but
looked at the label closely today-Nov. 19, and saw that date as 8/30/06!
I bought these sourdough hard rolls MID-OCT. and they still 'felt' fresh.
We had to go out of town for about 2 wks. so I put them in the
refrigerator, getting them out when we got back but never got around to
using them. Here it is mid-Nov. and they still 'feel fresh' as in soft, no
mold, no dry/hard spots. The ingredients label has about 15 unfamiliar
preservatives/additives in it that are unpronouncable. With all the
negative information 'floating' out there, about these things added to our
food I thought this might be of interest to you. Needless to say, we will
dispose of them. Why does there seem to be a need to put all these
'foreign' things in our food when for decades we've canned and frozen
things at home without them? Thank you for your time-I'll keep the label
in case this 'goes' further.

Ieuan ab Arthur
The First USA Noel

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Ieuan ab Arthur     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Comment: Hello, I thought you might like to know this about some rolls I bought at Walmart. I've never noticed the 'sell by' date on bread but looked at the label closely today-Nov. 19, and saw that date as 8/30/06! I bought these sourdough hard rolls MID-OCT. and they ll 'felt' fresh. We had to go out of town for about 2 wks. so I put them in the refrigerator, getting them out when we got back but never got around to using them. Here it is mid-Nov. and they still 'feel fresh' as in soft, no mold, no dry/hard spots. The ingredients label has about 15 unfamiliar preservatives/additives in it that are unpronouncable. With all the negative information 'floating' out there, about these things added to our food I thought this might be of interest to you. Needless to say, we will dispose of them. Why does there seem to be a need to put all these 'foreign' things in our food when for decades we've canned and frozen
things at home without them? Thank you for your time-I'll keep the label in case this 'goes' further.

Let me get this straight - you abandoned your rolls just before their best buy date? You left them there alone in your refrigerator in their hour of need? In the cold and dark while you went "out of town?" How could you?

You ... You ... You beast!

I bet you laughed when the best buy date went by. Yes, you laughed - you know you did! I've half a mind to report you to the SPCBG (the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Baked Goods).

All I can say is what goes around comes around! One day you'll regret your anti-rollish behaviour - just you wait!

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Needs more of a life than even the OP" ab Arthur

--------------------
"I e-mail or I don't e-mail. The magic just happens" - From OP in We've Got Mail

Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Y Byd

Posts: 626 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My husband told me that there us going to be a new tax
Drinks that contain sugar (Coke, Pepsi etc) will have be taxed All sugar
free drinks will not be tased We live Strongsville Ohio

Canuckistan

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All sugar free drinks will not be tased
Unless they resist arrest. Then all bets are off.

--------------------

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We live Strongsville Ohio
Population: tire.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages